PDA

View Full Version : What is it with all these retired NBA guys hating on Curry?

1987_Lakers
02-28-2016, 07:53 PM
First Oscar Robertson & Kareem come out and makes themselves look like fools saying Curry wouldn't have the same success if he played in their era. I can somewhat agree with that statement considering there was no 3 point line before 1980, but these guys should know that teams didn't even guard the 3 point line when it was first introduced, but they act like defenders in their day guarded you the moment you got past half-court.:oldlol:

Steven Jackson comes out and says the '07 Warriors who only won 42 games would beat the current Warriors? That is basically a retarded statement.

I mean I can somewhat understand these statements coming from these guys because Oscar Robertson has always been a bitter guy, same goes for Kareem, and we all know Steven Jackson was tough, but never known for his B-Ball IQ. But then I saw something that worried me, Phil Jackson sent out a tweet saying..."Never seen anything like SCurry? Remind you of Chris Jackson/ Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who had a short but brilliant run in NBA?":facepalm

Abdul-Rauf was a good player, but the dude never averaged 20 ppg or had a season where he shot 40% from 3, as a matter of fact his best years from 3 came with the shortened 3 point line. Making a comment like that is a huge slap in the face to Curry. You are better than that Phil Jackson.

L.Kizzle
02-28-2016, 07:56 PM
A lot of dust head players are praising Steph also.

Magiz, Zeke, Baron Davis. So it goes both ways.

warriorfan
02-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Phil Jackson is an overrated piece of shit. "zenmaster" get the fucc out of here he had Jordan and Kobe that is the only reason he is even semi relevant :lol

warriorfan
02-28-2016, 07:58 PM
By the way MJ wasn't very special at all...did we all forget about MITCH RICHMOND? :lol

lakers_forever
02-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Some people react like that to change. And a guy who shoots 11 3's a game is certainly changing the way the game is played.

kshutts1
02-28-2016, 07:59 PM
First Oscar Robertson & Kareem come out and makes themselves look like fools saying Curry wouldn't have the same success if he played in their era. I can somewhat agree with that statement considering there was no 3 point line before 1980, but these guys should know that teams didn't even guard the 3 point line when it was first introduced, but they act like defenders in their day guarded you the moment you got past half-court.:oldlol:

Steven Jackson comes out and says the '07 Warriors who only won 42 games would beat the current Warriors? That is basically a retarded statement.

I mean I can somewhat understand these statements coming from these guys because Oscar Robertson has always been a bitter guy, same goes for Kareem, and we all know Steven Jackson was tough, but never known for his B-Ball IQ. But then I saw something that worried me, Phil Jackson sent out a tweet saying..."Never seen anything like SCurry? Remind you of Chris Jackson/ Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who had a short but brilliant run in NBA?":facepalm

Abdul-Rauf was a good player, but the dude never averaged 20 ppg or had a season where he shot 40% from 3, as a matter of fact his best years from 3 came with the shortened 3 point line. Making a comment like that is a huge slap in the face to Curry. You are better than that Phil Jackson.
I don't think that Jackson's Warriors would beat this year's team, but to be fair to him, they do match up VERY well.

Funktion
02-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Old heads would get wrecked even in this era. Their averages against weak ass players in their day would disappear. The whole "when I was your age" speech.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Grumpy_Old_Men_.jpg

PHILA
02-28-2016, 08:02 PM
How about Cedric Ceballos?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/cedric-ceballas-thinks-the-1993-94-suns-would-torch-the-2015-16-warriors

He told the Steve Gorman Sports! Show (http://www.foxsportsradio.com/onair/steve-gorman-sports-53616/cedric-ceballos-says-9394-suns-would-14423798/) the ’94 Suns would beat Golden State “easily.”

"The Warriors against our 93-94 team, with [Charles] Barkley, [Dan] Majerle, [Danny] Ainge, K.J. [Kevin Johnson], Tom Chambers. Don’t get me wrong. Draymond [Green]’s play is unbelievable, but he wouldn’t do anything with Charles Barkley. It would be so ridiculous with that guy would get done to him. If you don’t believe me, just ask everybody else at his size who tried to guard the guy back in the day. Then you go with KJ, who just made the final list for the Hall of Fame. Steph Curry, an unbelievable shooter, but [KJ] was a point guard’s nightmare because he was strong and loved to go to the basket. That’s one thing these teams do not do. They do not expose Steph Curry and the way he plays defense."

Funktion
02-28-2016, 08:05 PM
How about Cedric Ceballos?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/cedric-ceballas-thinks-the-1993-94-suns-would-torch-the-2015-16-warriors

He told the Steve Gorman Sports! Show (http://www.foxsportsradio.com/onair/steve-gorman-sports-53616/cedric-ceballos-says-9394-suns-would-14423798/) the ’94 Suns would beat Golden State “easily.”

"The Warriors against our 93-94 team, with [Charles] Barkley, [Dan] Majerle, [Danny] Ainge, K.J. [Kevin Johnson], Tom Chambers. Don’t get me wrong. Draymond [Green]’s play is unbelievable, but he wouldn’t do anything with Charles Barkley. It would be so ridiculous with that guy would get done to him. If you don’t believe me, just ask everybody else at his size who tried to guard the guy back in the day. Then you go with KJ, who just made the final list for the Hall of Fame. Steph Curry, an unbelievable shooter, but [KJ] was a point guard’s nightmare because he was strong and loved to go to the basket. That’s one thing these teams do not do. They do not expose Steph Curry and the way he plays defense."

Damn who the **** and where the **** is Ceballos? Dudes comin out of the woodwork to ge their 5 minutes of fame ridin Currys dick :lol

L.Kizzle
02-28-2016, 08:05 PM
I don't think that Jackson's Warriors would beat this year's team, but to be fair to him, they do match up VERY well.
No they don't

16 Curry > 07 Davis
16 Klay > 07 J-Rich
16 Barnes < 07 Jackson
16 Green > 07 Harrington
16 Bogut > 07 Bierdrins

Bench
16 Iggy, Livingston, Festus > 07 Monta, Barnes and Pietrus

Foster5k
02-28-2016, 08:09 PM
These are all what if questions. It's like saying what if the Cavs were healthy last year in the Finals? Would they have beaten the Warriors?

No one knows. We can speculate all day long. Old heads love bringing up the past and saying how in their day they did things differently.

Unfortunately, we live in 2016. We can't time travel and let the Warriors face off against teams of the past.

Nothing can be proven 100%, so these guys can say whatever they want. It doesn't change the fact that the Warriors won the championship and look to be in gear to win another one.

bdreason
02-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Abdul-Rauf is actually a good comparison. At least in regards to shot selection and ability to get his shot off the dribble.

Abdul-Rauf drops 51 on Stockton. Jazz were an elite defensive team... Stockton was All-Defense in '95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXGRNGWNk0I

kshutts1
02-29-2016, 09:56 AM
No they don't

16 Curry > 07 Davis
16 Klay > 07 J-Rich
16 Barnes < 07 Jackson
16 Green > 07 Harrington
16 Bogut > 07 Bierdrins

Bench
Yes they do. That team is arguably better suited than any modern team to play the same style as the Warriors. Not as well, mind you, but the 07 team can throw out a lineup of four tall guards, just like the current Warriors like to do.

I agree with your >/< breakdown, though. But once we look at the versatility provided by the lineups, the 07 Warriors are worse across the board (I did say they would lose) but they are equally versatile.

Could, in theory, run a lineup of...

Davis
Ellis
Richardson
Jackson
Biedrins/Harrington

... and they would still have the versatility of Barnes and Pietrus off the bench.

IMO the current Warriors really destroy people when they go small, because no other team can match their versatility and energy. Those Warriors could. Again, 07 loses, but they do match up well in that respect.

SugarHill
02-29-2016, 09:59 AM
It's human nature.

theaussieguy
02-29-2016, 10:00 AM
they can't hack the fact their tired on 2 point game is quickly becoming obsolete

aj1987
02-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Phil Jackson is an overrated piece of shit. "zenmaster" get the fucc out of here he had Jordan and Kobe that is the only reason he is even semi relevant :lol

By the way MJ wasn't very special at all...did we all forget about MITCH RICHMOND? :lol

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Do you see it, warriorfan? Let me help you. You just called PJax an overrated coach because he had MJ and literally after a minute, you said MJ = Mitch.

Blue&Orange
02-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Well they are right and they are wrong.

I've said before, forget about touching, you can't have your hands up today, the offensive player will throw his arms against your hands and go to the line. It's a pussified league, ASG was a travesty and a perfect representation of today's league.

This shit is the reason you can't compare players from different eras, you should compare how dominant they were in their own era, period. And guess what, nobody doing what Curry is doing in this pussified era. DO i believe Bird would be putting ridiculous absurd numbers, equal or better that Curry? I do. But hey we will never know for sure.

And this is why accolades also matter, and not just stats.

raprap
02-29-2016, 10:49 AM
No they don't

16 Curry > 07 Davis
16 Klay > 07 J-Rich
16 Barnes < 07 Jackson
16 Green > 07 Harrington
16 Bogut > 07 Bierdrins

Bench
Basketball doesn't work that way bud lol but yeah, i think the 07 warriors match up well against the current squad. Doesn't mean they will beat them tho.

Done_And_Done
02-29-2016, 10:57 AM
It's human nature.

This.

Former players and a portion of fans are just naturally inclined to prop the era(s) that resonated most with them.

ralph_i_el
02-29-2016, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=PHILA]How about Cedric Ceballos?

[I]He told the Steve Gorman Sports! Show (http://www.foxsportsradio.com/onair/steve-gorman-sports-53616/cedric-ceballos-says-9394-suns-would-14423798/) the

riseagainst
02-29-2016, 02:20 PM
nostalgia. Only way for their basketball careers to stay relevant. We all know, objectively speaking, that Steph Curry is the GOAT and he would make any team a contender. Especially on teams prior to the 2000's. Just flat out inferior competition back in the day. He would literally average 60 points on 70%FG.

90sgoat
02-29-2016, 03:01 PM

Do you see it, warriorfan? Let me help you. You just called PJax an overrated coach because he had MJ and literally after a minute, you said MJ = Mitch.

Negged him. Look at his red bar, dude is the worst poster here.

90sgoat
02-29-2016, 03:04 PM
If anything, wouldn't Green match up well with Barkley? He's not going to get out-quicknessed by Chuck.

:facepalm

He'd get out BULLIED, out muscled in the paint. Did none of you actually watch Chuck the highscorer on the Dream Team?

Barkley led the league in 2 point scoring 3 years in a row in a league with multiple great centers AND Michael Jordan. He averaged 12-14 rebounds as a 6-7 power forward.

Dude was an absolute beast and would rape Green on the block.

That Phoenix team matches up really well with Golden State. KJ was a 20-10 athletic point guard who would relentlessly attack Curry. They had Thunder Dan Majerle who would bully Klay. They had Richard Dumas who is very similar to Harrison Barnes and then they had a couple of veteran centers as good as Bogut.

Yep, that Phoenix team would probably also beat GS.

warriorfan
02-29-2016, 03:12 PM

joke went over your head you smelly fakkit

i was saying pj calling curry abdul rauf was like calling MJ mitch rich

aj1987
02-29-2016, 04:03 PM
joke went over your head you smelly fakkit

i was saying pj calling curry abdul rauf was like calling MJ mitch rich

You still don't get it, do you? You're a special kind of retard.

warriorfan
02-29-2016, 04:26 PM
You still don't get it, do you? You're a special kind of retard.

na bitch you dont get it :facepalm

tmacattack33
02-29-2016, 04:30 PM

:roll:

That was 9 years ago. How would things change so much over nine years? Fukkin retard.ed.

And if things to change, common sense points things getting better not worse. Most things get better over time as people get rid of the sh*t that doesn't work and improve upon the things that do work. Also, the talent pool of today dwarfs that of the game in 1980.

Black and White
02-29-2016, 04:31 PM
Because old men get senile

tmacattack33
02-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Anyway, the real reason old timers don't like Curry is that they weren't prepared for it.

For example, Oscar knew Lebron was coming in 2001 when he was a freakin junior in high school on ESPN. So he had a while to prepare for what would happen if Lebron passed him.

Curry came out of no where. He was supposed to be a threat to Dana Barros and Jason Terry's legacy, not Oscar and Kareem's.

If I told you that in 30 days I was going to kick you out your house you'd be prepared for it when it happens, and you'd be okay - probably making other plans for housing in the meantime. But if I kicked you out tomorrow with no warning, you'd have problems.

miggyme1
02-29-2016, 04:40 PM

He didn't mean ppg or anything like that. Go look at the way chris Jackson played the game...its very similar to curry...curry is the better player but if you take chris Jackson and put him on steroids you would have curry....do some research before you accuse someone of stating false info and then to back it up you bring up stats like stats will tell you who plays like who. smh :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

aj1987
02-29-2016, 04:45 PM
na bitch you dont get it :facepalm

They should just merge the greatest slays thread and dumbest posts threads and rename it "whatever shit dumbassfan posts".

brain drain
02-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Anyway, the real reason old timers don't like Curry is that they weren't prepared for it.

For example, Oscar knew Lebron was coming in 2001 when he was a freakin junior in high school on ESPN. So he had a while to prepare for what would happen if Lebron passed him.

Curry came out of no where. He was supposed to be a threat to Dana Barros and Jason Terry's legacy, not Oscar and Kareem's.

If I told you that in 30 days I was going to kick you out your house you'd be prepared for it when it happens, and you'd be okay - probably making other plans for housing in the meantime. But if I kicked you out tomorrow with no warning, you'd have problems.

I don't think it's about preparation time, I think it's more about what type of player passed them.

If Curry was as big as Shaq or as athletic as Jordan, we wouldn't have this conversation.

They just don't get how a guy isn't big and isn't hyperathletic, and generally doesn't look like someone who's going to beat your ass can be better than themselves or the guys they lost games against back in the day.

Must be the weak era or something.

dubnation
02-29-2016, 05:02 PM
It's just inevitable for older players to be biased. They don't want to lose their place in history. You see it in every sport.

Steph takes it in stride, though. At a certain point the numbers and impact speak for themselves.

warriorfan
02-29-2016, 05:09 PM

They should just merge the greatest slays thread and dumbest posts threads and rename it "whatever shit dumbassfan posts".

your stinky ass doesnt know shit :facepalm

aj1987
02-29-2016, 05:11 PM
your stinky ass doesnt know shit :facepalm
Meltdown. :oldlol:

scm5
02-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Generally speaking, when hate like this starts to come, it means they're threatened. Curry is doing something right, obviously.

jstern
02-29-2016, 06:14 PM
Phil Jackson was obviously talking about playing similarities. By the way a week or so ago Steve Kerr, who is Curry's coach named 3 players that reminded him of Curry, and Chris Jackson was one of the players. Out of thousands of past players, Chris Jackson was one.

It's a sensitive subject for the op, in that any sign that an older player might say something negative about a current player, and it sends you over the edge.

Phil Jackson is around 70 years old, if he was bitter he would be saying bitter things about players in Kobe's era, Jordan's, etc.

CJ Mustard
02-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Yes they do. That team is arguably better suited than any modern team to play the same style as the Warriors. Not as well, mind you, but the 07 team can throw out a lineup of four tall guards, just like the current Warriors like to do.

I agree with your >/< breakdown, though. But once we look at the versatility provided by the lineups, the 07 Warriors are worse across the board (I did say they would lose) but they are equally versatile.

Could, in theory, run a lineup of...

Davis
Ellis
Richardson
Jackson
Biedrins/Harrington

... and they would still have the versatility of Barnes and Pietrus off the bench.

IMO the current Warriors really destroy people when they go small, because no other team can match their versatility and energy. Those Warriors could. Again, 07 loses, but they do match up well in that respect.
Precisely why they don't match up well. Like...at all.

Nobody is beating the Warriors at their own style. They prove it time and time again.