PDA

View Full Version : Curry is one of the most athletic players in the league

lilteapot
03-01-2016, 01:58 PM
How don't you people see it?

He's incredibly quick, stupid fast, has lightning fast reflexes, he can dunk when he wants, and is strong enough to shoot the ball really easily from wherever he wants on the court which takes a good deal of upper body strength. He's also 6'3''. Dude is athletically gifted, by all means.

dubnation
03-01-2016, 02:00 PM
People really underestimate his strength and balance. It's insane how much he's improved those traits through training the last few years.

PP34Deuce
03-01-2016, 02:02 PM

He's incredibly quick, stupid fast, has lightning fast reflexes, he can dunk when he wants, and is strong enough to shoot the ball really easily from wherever he wants on the court which takes a good deal of upper body strength. He's also 6'3''. Dude is athletically gifted, by all means.

He's similar to steve nash... he's definitely not incredibly quick or stupid fast.

He has NBA level athletiscm with great decisive movement. That will always win over a freak athlete.

Put him in a race with Rose, Westbrook, and Wall and he's the last guy.

But his decisive movement(like nash) are what makes him use the most of his athletic traits.

miggyme1
03-01-2016, 02:07 PM

nowhere near stupid fast...andre miller could prolly beat him in a foot race. dunk???? yea...barely dunk....we talking about wrist grazers.

but this are the things that make him great....he is the most SKILLED player in the league.....don't be surprised if this guy is playing just as well today as he is in his late 30's....Stockton did......nash did.........im just saying.

Riks
03-01-2016, 02:11 PM
People think that athleticism is about power, top speed, and jumping ability.

Marchesk
03-01-2016, 02:13 PM
People think that athleticism is about power, top speed, and jumping ability.

It is, in part. That's why you have the NFL combine.

Oh yeah, inb4 Curry's athleticism > Jordan's.

Nick Young
03-01-2016, 02:13 PM
according to his fitness and training team, Steph Curry has the best hand-eye coordination they have ever seen. That is how he's able to pick up new skills so easily.

Marchesk
03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Steph Curry has the best hand-eye coordination they have ever seen. That is how he's able to pick up new skills so easily.

One starts to wonder if Curry has some non-human DNA spliced in. They have this new DNA editing tool called CRISPR now. It's supposed to revolutionize gene editing. Pro athletes probably have access to all the cutting edge stuff.

Curry with that lion DNA.

Funktion
03-01-2016, 02:25 PM
His balls release stupid fast :lebronamazed:

Riks
03-01-2016, 02:25 PM
It is, in part. That's why you have the NFL combine.

Oh yeah, inb4 Curry's athleticism > Jordan's.
My point is it isn't only those things. Of course those things are ways of demonstrating athleticism.

Riks
03-01-2016, 02:26 PM
according to his fitness and training team, Steph Curry has the best hand-eye coordination they have ever seen. That is how he's able to pick up new skills so easily.
I believe it.

MP.Trey
03-01-2016, 02:28 PM
6'3 and he can dunk "when he wants" :oldlol:

He's pretty quick. Lightning fast reflexes, hand-eye, etc. But his top speed, vertical, lateral quickness, etc. leave room to be desired. I'd say he's underrated athletically, but nowhere near one of the most athletic in the league.

3ball
03-01-2016, 02:29 PM

You're a fool OP - Steph's athletic prowess stems from his alien-like ballhandling skill.. That allows him to make athletic plays that would otherwise not be possible WITHOUT the handle.

But let's ask him to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7gpKonsnc&t=0m06s

forget about it, he can't come close.. guys like rose, lebron, wall, jordan, westbrook, kobe, many more ATHLETIC players can do it easily.. but not curry.. he's an all-time great specifically due to the existence of the 3-point line, which turns half his shots from the lowest efficiency shot in the game (a sub-40% 2-pointer), into the highest efficiency shot of all time (a sub-40% three-pointer).

WorldWarriors
03-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Curry's Baryshnikov with a shot. More grace than force. He's athletic enough but not over powering. His speed and quickness is above average but nothing other worldly. He finds a path and zeros in on it. He doesn't proceed unless he knows where he's going. I.E. you'll never see him drive the paint to force anything. If he drives it will be to either score or pass to either Klay or Barnes in the corner. It's his hand eye coordination that puts him over the top.

Demitri98
03-01-2016, 02:38 PM
People underestimate his top speed. He's pretty damn fast when he's going full speed down the court, it just doesn't look like it because he's so shifty off the dribble.

dubnation
03-01-2016, 02:51 PM
You're a fool OP - Steph's athletic prowess stems from his alien-like ballhandling skill.. That allows him to make athletic plays that would otherwise not be possible WITHOUT the handle.

forget about it, he can't come close.. guys like rose, lebron, wall, jordan, westbrook, kobe, many more ATHLETIC players can do it easily.. but not curry.. he's an all-time great specifically due to the existence of the 3-point line, which turns half his shots from the lowest efficiency shot in the game (a sub-40% 2-pointer), into the highest efficiency shot of all time (a sub-40% three-pointer).

Dude, please stop. Just enjoy it. Steph is another legend in the making, no one except the most retarded posters are taking anything away from MJ, he's the GOAT. The 3 point line exists and it's part of the game -- stop f*cking complaining about it.

riseagainst
03-01-2016, 03:11 PM

so you are telling me Curry is the GOAT despite having inferior genetics (athleticism) something no one can control. He simply has better basketball skills than MJ and others alike. So much better that it makes up for the differences in their athleticism.

Gotcha!

:applause:

Vragrant
03-01-2016, 07:47 PM
His hand eye coordination, reflexes are otherworldly. Also, he is is VERY quick. Well above average. I've seen many times hes blown by defenders without a screen.

LARRY BROWN
03-01-2016, 08:03 PM
lillard is quicker,and will be him in the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remember?dillard scored 51 points

and warriors lost by 32 points!:coleman:

bizil
03-01-2016, 10:20 PM
I disagree on this one. When it comes to the PG's, Westbrook and Wall set the bar in terms of freak athletic ability. I also think Lillard is more athletic than Steph as well. I tend to use freak athletic ability as the bar for this kind of post. So as great as Steph is, he doesn't really qualify in my opinion. Wall, Westbrook, Rose, Francis, Baron Davis, and KJ are guys who fit the bill in terms of top notch athletic ability at the point.

dubnation
03-01-2016, 10:33 PM
I disagree on this one. When it comes to the PG's, Westbrook and Wall set the bar in terms of freak athletic ability. I also think Lillard is more athletic than Steph as well. I tend to use freak athletic ability as the bar for this kind of post. So as great as Steph is, he doesn't really qualify in my opinion. Wall, Westbrook, Rose, Francis, Baron Davis, and KJ are guys who fit the bill in terms of top notch athletic ability at the point.

So balance, strength, hand-eye coordination, etc. aren't athletic traits?

I 100% agree he doesn't come close in traditional athletic measurements compared to those guys, but we should consider other things too imo. He's not just a shooter.

tpols
03-01-2016, 10:44 PM
My point is it isn't only those things. Of course those things are ways of demonstrating athleticism.

yea but if you start using things like hand eye coordination, balance, change of pace/quickness etc as athletic traits how do you even differentiate between a skilled player and an athletic one ?

dubnation
03-01-2016, 10:49 PM
yea but if you start using things like hand eye coordination, balance, change of pace/quickness etc as athletic traits how do you even differentiate between a skilled player and an athletic one ?

Kobe is a skilled player. But he's not athletic, anymore. Just because you can't jump out of the gym or you don't have ridiculous top end speed doesn't mean you aren't athletic.

Steph has incredible pound for pound strength, balance, deceptive quickness, etc.

tpols
03-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Kobe is a skilled player. But he's not athletic, anymore. Just because you can't jump out of the gym or you don't have ridiculous top end speed doesn't mean you aren't athletic.

Steph has incredible pound for pound strength, balance, deceptive quickness, etc.

op is saying curry is one of the most athletic players .. by that definition Dirk could be considered one of the most athletic for his incredible hand eye coordination and quickness / dribbling skill for a 7 footer.

But hand eye coordination is the most important athletic trait for becoming supremely skilled.. so idk, I would propose it to not have much signifigance in a whose more athletic debate. Westbrook, Wall, pre-injury rose were just far more athletic than Curry is right now.. but its their lack of Curry-like hand eye coordination and focus that makes them inferior overall skill wise.

theaussieguy
03-01-2016, 11:38 PM
whatever you want to call it, its obvious he has the greatest communion of skill, athleticism and agility in the league.

bizil
03-02-2016, 06:27 PM
So balance, strength, hand-eye coordination, etc. aren't athletic traits?

I 100% agree he doesn't come close in traditional athletic measurements compared to those guys, but we should consider other things too imo. He's not just a shooter.

Of course Steph is more than a shooter! U can look at his stats and tell he's more than a shooter!! But Steph ISN'T a freak athlete kind of superstar. When u are talking the best athletes in the league, u are talking freak athletes at the top. Steph DOESN'T fall in that class.

Westbrook's athletic gifts give him the ability to play BIGGER than his 6'3-6'4 height. Steph doesn't have that same athletic advantage. Hand eye coordination, strength, and balance are important attributes. BUT U CAN BE the slowest guy in the room and STILL have those same attributes. The greats who combine speed, power, and leaping ability the best WILL ALWAYS reign on top for this kind of post. Or AT LEAST they should....