PDA

View Full Version : Jahlil Okafor is Putting Up Historic Offensive Numbers

Lebron23
03-02-2016, 11:52 AM
http://media.philly.com/images/600*450/100615_jahlil-okafor_1024.jpg

With the exception of last night's surprisingly competitive game, the Sixers have been an absolute atrocity to watch since returning from the All Star break. They're hemorrhaging points like crazy, and have barely been competitive after the first quarter in most of their games. It's been a tough time to be a Sixers' fan, reminiscent of the doldrums of December and November, when it became so painful to watch the team that even cheerleader extraordinaire Mike Levin took a break from them.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/vi9bEsGuXb0pmVw-KnqUdd7rzQk=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6127221/Larger_Chart.0.png

But amidst the despondency, a glimmer of hope has shimmered occasionally, as Okafor has continued to put on an absolute clinic on the offensive side of the ball. The big man set a career high for points against the helpless Mavericks with 31, and then followed that up with 21 and 26 point outings in the last week. Even better, each of these performances has been efficient, as he has shot 60% or better from the field in each of his last 6 games. In the process, he has pulled his overall season field goal percentage north of 50% and seen his true shooting percentage climb all the way to 53.8%. In fact, since the calendar flipped to 2016, Okafor has an incredible true shooting percentage of 59.9%, which would be in the Top 5 of any rookie campaign ever.

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/mkx7kwkXthNlbvAo7wLNrk_fKDA=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6127255/Screen_Shot_2016-02-29_at_1.24.01_PM.0.png

These are lofty numbers for any rookie to reach. Since the merger, only 20 players have managed a TS% of greater than 50% while simultaneously sporting a usage rate above 25%. Of those, Okafor has the 6th best TS% ever.

Michael Jordan sets the pace with an incredible 59% TS on almost 30% usage, but Jah still stands out as wildly impressive. The only big men of the last 25 five years to outstrip Okafor's pace are two of the top ten players of all time and Blake Griffin. That's some pretty outstanding company to be sharing.

When the parameters are changed to require a FG% of 50% or greater, the list shrinks even more, and Okafor joins a group of only 6 players.

The most impressive part of Okafor's production is in the way that he has manufactured his points, too. He has had to shoulder the weight of almost unrealistic offensive expectations in Philadelphia, where no one else has shown the ability to effectively create shots for himself or his teammates. Even after the addition of Ish Smith lessened Okafor's load a little, he has scored an astounding 60% of his baskets on unassisted shots.

Unassisted shots are considerably more difficult to convert than assisted shots. It's the reason coaches emphasize ball movement so much. Assisted shots are far more likely to be open and to come with a shooter's feet set and in rhythm. Kirk Goldsberry wrote a great piece for Grantland (RIP) about the discrepancy in expected efficiency between assisted and unassisted shots last year. In short, it's incredibly impressive for a player to score efficiently on unassisted shots due to their increased difficulty. This exact relationship is what caused the death of the isolation-heavy, wing-centric offenses from the end of the 90's -- they just couldn't score efficiently enough to earn championship success.

Player Rookie Yr TS% %Ast
Blake Griffin 2010-11 54.9 67
Kevin Durant 2007-08 51.9 59.3
Michael Beasley 2008-09 52.8 57.7
Carmelo Anthony 2003-04 50.9 55.4
Ben Gordon 2004-05 52.6 48.4
Jahlil Okafor 2015-16 53.6 41.3
Tyreke Evans 2009-10 52.9 21.2

Since basketball-reference started tracking shooting statistics in 2000, only 7 players have reached the 50-25 true shooting/usage club that Okafor is in during their rookie years. Of those players, 6 have enjoyed more assisted opportunities than Okafor, as his 41.3% ranks second to last. Only Tyreke Evans, who has shown himself unable to contribute without the ball in his hands, averaged fewer assisted shot attempts.

All of this portends good things for Okafor's future. He is scoring efficiently and on high volume, the hardest thing to do in the NBA. Even more impressive, he has been creating his own shots, serving as the focal point for an offense in a way the league hasn't seen from a big man in the 21st Century.

Amidst much of the criticism that Okafor has seen this season - much of it from me - it's important to remember that he has actually overachieved what expectations were for him before the season. Many of us expected him to struggle adjusting to the increased length and physicality of the league, and that his efficiency would see a drop-off. The consensus among LB staff prior to the season saw him averaging around 14 points a game on 45% shooting or so, and he's outstripped both of those numbers by a fair amount. If Karl-Anthony Towns weren't having a historic rookie season in his own right, it's fair to think that Jah would be getting not only Rookie of the Year buzz, but also receiving many of the accolades reserved for his peer. Expect Okafor to continue scoring easily for a long time.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/3/1/11139376/jahlil-okafor-is-putting-up-historical-offensive-numbers

Dictator
03-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Future superstar....

Cocaine80s
03-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Best center in the league right now

IllegalD
03-02-2016, 05:35 PM
And how many wins?

Okafor's game has little tangible impact in the modern NBA

Gileraracer
03-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Kevin Love also put up crazy numbers back in Minnesota. :lol

navy
03-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Empty

jayfan
03-02-2016, 05:38 PM
And how many wins?

That's unfair to say of a rookie playing on a horrible team.

Cocaine80s
03-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Lol people on Towns dick when he's putting up empty stats as well

SwishSquared
03-02-2016, 06:01 PM
His stats are as empty as Wiggins' last year tbh.

lilteapot
03-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Wolves are way better than the sixers

Kingwillball
03-02-2016, 06:07 PM

Towns is the better player with more upside he has a complete game unlike okafur can effect the game more than just scoring which even on that end is more complete with outside shot and better at line.

broy_mvp
03-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Empty stats, no impact.

Cocaine80s
03-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Wolves are way better than the sixers
Twolves have Wiggins, Rubio, Lavine, KG, Dieng, & Prince

Sixers have Nerlens and Stauskas lol

Cocaine80s
03-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Towns is the better player with more upside he has a complete game unlike okafur can effect the game more than just scoring which even on that end is more complete with outside shot and better at line.
What does that have to do with people being hyprocrites here

KungFuJoe
03-02-2016, 06:29 PM
I know people are down on okafor...but my god his offensive game is so polished and ELITE...I don't see how this guy isn't going to be at the very least a top center in the game someday.

STATUTORY
03-02-2016, 06:50 PM
I know people are down on okafor...but my god his offensive game is so polished and ELITE...I don't see how this guy isn't going to be at the very least a top center in the game someday.

cause there's defense and rebounding

the team plays better when he sits

Cocaine80s
03-02-2016, 07:06 PM

He averages the same amount of rebounds as Porzingis even though he's 4 inches shorter :oldlol:

Nash
03-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Best post player we've seen the last few years. I don't want to go overboard and say since Hakeem or anything. But he's special.

KungFuJoe
03-02-2016, 07:22 PM

But that won't improve? I haven't watched a whole lot. Is he THAT bad?

As far as team playing better when he sits...few rookies have real positive impact on a team...and when you're talking about a team as bad as the sixers...a lot of generalizations don't really apply.

At some point, if your offense is THAT good...even just being an ok defender means you're a great asset.

To4
03-02-2016, 07:29 PM
What I only only notice when I constantly watch Jahlil is that he doesn't use his left hand at all. but he is still so incredibly young. He will learn that off-hand..

Already elite with the right but imagine with both hands? Murder in the low post.

fsvr54
03-02-2016, 07:29 PM
Okafor's rebounding is not THAT bad, if he just puts more effort he'll get better.

Dude is better than the overrated Porzingis.

Optimus Prime
03-02-2016, 07:46 PM
D'Bustaslow for Okafor...please? Look! He just scored 39 against the Nets! GOAT!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :facepalm

:kobe:

IllegalD
03-02-2016, 08:03 PM
D'Bustaslow for Okafor...please? Look! He just scored 39 against the Nets! GOAT!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :facepalm

:kobe:

meltdown

Lebron23
03-02-2016, 10:31 PM
His ceiling is probably a taller Al Jefferson. He just needs to improve his rebounding. He's still very young.

GOBB
03-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Defensively he needs to improve big time. I feel his ceiling is Marc Gasol, anyone agree? Both have similar measurable in terms of size and athletic ability. Clearly Oak is the better offensive player as hes also showing range in his jumper more and more. Even able to put ball on the floor and shoot. Not making him out to be some great shooter just saying for a guy who in college scored mostly in the paint to see him expand his game further outside is pretty amazing. Marc Gasol as a defender is good tho. So I hope Oak can reach that level. Easier said than done when effort is what seems to hold him back from at least improving there.

Oak is a pretty damn good scorer, you cant overlook that and focus on defense entirely.

ralph_i_el
03-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Even if he becomes a possible defender, he's already one of the best bigs in the league on offense.

I don't think I've seen someone so big, yet so gracefully since Shaq. His footwork is something to behold.

Mr. Jabbar
03-03-2016, 06:26 PM
He's still very young.

thx dude, we were completely unaware of this :cheers:

You Cant Ban Me
03-03-2016, 06:40 PM
hopefully we put some pieces around him

KungFuJoe
03-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Even if he becomes a possible defender, he's already one of the best bigs in the league on offense.

I don't think I've seen someone so big, yet so gracefully since Shaq. His footwork is something to behold.

He's the most polished offensive center in the league NOW. Even more so than Towns and Cousins.

Dude has moves for days and is just slick with the ball on offense. He's had some really good rebounding games...think his high is 17 or 19. The defense can and should improve.

But my god...he is going to a straight up nightmare for opposing centers to guard.

soots
03-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Okafor is playing hero ball to up his value. Its well known he doesnt want to be at Philly.

JtotheIzzo
03-03-2016, 08:47 PM

never misses a chance to flash that dumbness...

tmacattack33
03-03-2016, 09:17 PM
And how many wins?

LOL...they are tanking. Not a good way to look at it.

tmacattack33
03-03-2016, 09:22 PM

The Sixers are 2-7 without him.