PDA

View Full Version : Better player: LeBron James or Kevin Garnett

JohnMax
03-02-2016, 08:15 PM
What's your hot take?

Kvnzhangyay
03-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Lebron and it's not even close

Which is saying a LOT considering how amazing Garnett's peak was, it's just Lebron's peak is one of the top 4 GOAT peaks imo with Wilt MJ and Shaq

InsanityKills
03-02-2016, 08:18 PM
The one with more rings.

ShawkFactory
03-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Lebron

Smoke117
03-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Lebron

Which is saying a LOT considering how amazing Garnett's peak was, it's just Lebron's peak is one of the top 4 GOAT peaks imo with Wilt MJ and Shaq

This...though I don't know if I'd say it's not even close...Garnett's 2004 season peak is one of the 10 greatest ever imo.

Bigsmoke
03-02-2016, 08:50 PM
This...though I don't know if I'd say it's not even close...Garnett's 2004 season peak is one of the 10 greatest ever imo.

86 Bird
87 Magic
2000 Shaq
Mj
2013 LBJ
2003 Duncan
94 Hakeem
06 Kobe
72 Kareem
62 Wilt

KG at his peak above who?

Derka
03-02-2016, 09:03 PM
KG is one of my all-time favorites but I go with Lebron.

dubnation
03-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Bron for sure. KG was great but never dominant enough offensively to carry a championship team imo.

raprap
03-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Bron for sure. KG was great but never dominant enough offensively to carry a championship team imo.
To be fair, the only team he had in minny that was talented was 04. He was very unlucky in his prime.

To answer the OP

LeBron

Pushxx
03-02-2016, 09:14 PM
KG's legacy was ruined by that shit Timberwolves franchise and that one fateful day in Utah 2009 when he injured his knee...makes me sad for basketball.

It's fun, easy, and warranted to make fun of Bron, but he's as much of a one-of-a-kind player and both are amongst the best to ever play the game of basketball.

Smoke117
03-02-2016, 09:25 PM
86 Bird
87 Magic
2000 Shaq
Mj
2013 LBJ
2003 Duncan
94 Hakeem
06 Kobe
72 Kareem
62 Wilt

I don't consider 06 Kobe's best season (03 is) and it's definitely not better than Garnett's 04 season. It's a top 10 all time SCORING season...but peak overall? No. He was above average max in every other facet of the game that season. Garnett was elite at every facet of the game that season...scoring, defending, rebounding, passing. I'd say you could go either way with Duncan's 03 season too.

Cold soul
03-02-2016, 09:47 PM
I'm huge fan of KG but Lebron is easily better player as much as if pains me to admit it. Lebron has greater impact especially on offense and can single handley carry bad team far in playoffs.

Cold soul
03-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Duncan, Shaq, Kobe were better players at their best over KG and you can make arguement even for Dirk was better.

dubnation
03-02-2016, 10:03 PM
To be fair, the only team he had in minny that was talented was 04. He was very unlucky in his prime.

To answer the OP

LeBron

Sure, but his lack of offensive dominance is even more glaring in that type of situation.

tpols
03-02-2016, 10:10 PM
All time? Lebron. right now ? Garnett

$LakerGold
03-02-2016, 10:19 PM
I don't know, 6 years ago, I would've said peak KG, but these last 5 years of Lebron impressed the hell out of me playstyle-wise. But with that, just like what everyone says, it took him 3 superstars who were on their prime to win a ring & lost twice in the finals - absolute garbage & overrated. Individual stats? Yes. Career? It's 50/50.

Are we really going to sit here & pretend he didn't lose to the MAVERICKS & AN AGING SPURS? Again, Spurs - elite team, but way past their prime, 4-1 in the finals? :roll:

PRIME DWYANE WADE & PRIME CHRIS BOSH.
They were all on top of their game until Lebron came along with his "determined" ass.

Lebron is in it for the story, jumps out of the back window when adversity knocks on the door.

/endwhateverthisis /f*ckESPN

G0ATbe
03-02-2016, 10:28 PM
KG hands down.

bigkingsfan
03-02-2016, 10:29 PM
The one higher on the ESPN list.

Hey Yo
03-02-2016, 10:30 PM
it took him 3 superstars who were on their prime to win a ring
dumb

$LakerGold
03-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Okay, 2. :rolleyes: eat shit

Hey Yo
03-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Let me know when a 2x FMVP lead his team in MP, pts, TRB and assists (in the postseason and Finals) in B2B Finals wins...... while having 2 other alleged superstars.

zbott
03-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Big respect for KG but gotta go with Bran

SouBeachTalents
03-02-2016, 10:40 PM
I don't know, 6 years ago, I would've said peak KG, but these last 5 years of Lebron impressed the hell out of me playstyle-wise. But with that, just like what everyone says, it took him 3 superstars who were on their prime to win a ring & lost twice in the finals - absolute garbage & overrated. Individual stats? Yes. Career? It's 50/50.

Are we really going to sit here & pretend he didn't lose to the MAVERICKS & AN AGING SPURS? Again, Spurs - elite team, but way past their prime, 4-1 in the finals? :roll:

PRIME DWYANE WADE & PRIME CHRIS BOSH.

Lebron is in it for the story, jumps out of the back window when adversity knocks on the door.

/endwhateverthisis

LeBron playing with "two prime superstars" in Miami is the biggest NBA myth I can think of, at least in terms of recent seasons. Wade was playing nowhere close to his prime self during the Heat's last 2 playoff runs, while Bosh has never in any capacity been a superstar.

LeBron always gets penalized for this, yet Magic had Kareem/Worthy (a top 3 GOAT, both won FMVP) while Bird had McHale/Parish, which are 4 players btw I'd all take over Bosh

Harison
03-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Lebron is higher on All-time list due to accolades.

But as a player? Garnett. Surely Lebron is better offensively, but KG is much better defensive anchor, so that evens out. Plus KG actually brings leadership and proper mentality to the table.

bizil
03-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Gotta roll with Bron! Unless its MJ-Magic-Bird-Kareem-Wilt-Shaq level guys, I don't think ANYBODY has a case on Bron in terms of peak. As great as KG was, he's more of a top 15-20 peak kind of guy. U could EASILY make the argument that Bron and KG are the most versatile players of all time (both sides of the rock). But Bron is ALSO a dominant scorer on top of it. While KG wasn't as dominant scoring the rock. Even though I think KG's scoring ability does get underrated as time goes on.

pauk
03-02-2016, 11:06 PM

Not only accolades... but being a more prominent indivudal talent overall... he was much more dominant & impactful which translated to better success for himself or his team based on what he had to work with around him...

But as a player? Garnett. Surely Lebron is better offensively, but KG is much better defensive anchor, so that evens out. Plus KG actually brings leadership and proper mentality to the table.

If we were ranking players all-time based on strictly individual basketball ability Lebron would be even higher ranked, stop it... the only undisputed better overall player/talent than prime Lebron was Jordan... and he is the damn goat individual talent...

With that being said i think you know my point of view on this... Garnett was awesome, but this one is not debatable in any possible way, accolades or individual ability... unless you are comparing specific attainments which may go in Garnetts favor (rebounding, defense).

Smoke117
03-02-2016, 11:09 PM
I just want to say...it's disgusting how underrated Kevin Garnett is all time. Scottie Pippen is my favorite player of all time...and KG is pretty much a rich mans version of him...Scottie is usually ranked in the 25-30 numbers all time...which would make Kevin Garnett top 20...why doesn't he get the respect he deserves? Yeah I know he doesn't have the wins...but that's to do Kevin Mchale screwing over the Twolves franchise with his "under the table" deals. Big Kev frankly never even had a contending team built around him till Cassell and Spree...and they were both on the tail ends of their best years or careers...

Moving on to 2008...Kevin Garnett was by far the most important reason why they won the championship that year...he anchored the defense (DPOY that season) while being one of the best scorers on the team. I remember that series vs the Pistons with him vs Sheed who was the best post defender in the league...and he could just do nothing. Yeah Garnett never really had more than that turn around...but he was on some kind of hot streak up until the finals (where the streakiness turned against him), but he was easily the best player on the Celtics during their that run.

Before he got injured in that 2009 season...the Celtics were pretty much invincible...Ray was much better as he was now healthy (he came off double ankle surgeries before the 2008 season...EARLY AGAINST DOCTORS RECOMMENDATIONS), Pierce was Pierce, and Rondo was only getting better...the Celtics would have easily had back to back championships if they were healthy that season. The Lakers pretty much owe their two championships in 2009 and 2010 to the fact that Kevin Garnett got injured and was never the same.

plowking
03-02-2016, 11:15 PM

You are the worst poster on here. Not even kidding. You're an idiot who doesn't even believe what he types.

fourkicks44
03-03-2016, 02:53 AM
86 Bird
87 Magic
2000 Shaq
Mj
2013 LBJ
2003 Duncan
94 Hakeem
06 Kobe
72 Kareem
62 Wilt

I like what you have done here :applause:

FreezingTsmoove
03-03-2016, 03:40 AM
Lebron

JohnFreeman
03-03-2016, 03:41 AM
You are the worst poster on here. Not even kidding. You're an idiot who doesn't even believe what he types.
Great post.

Kobe_6/8
03-03-2016, 06:06 AM
Easily LeBron.

LeBron dominance as a wing player >>> KG dominance as a big man

KG is a great player but he never came close to 4 MVP...Bron is clearly a step above.

Duncan21formvp
06-21-2020, 08:33 PM
Kevin Garnett as imagine him forming superteams he would have 5-6 titles by now.

Gougou
06-22-2020, 02:09 AM
Lebron.

But 04 MVP KG is better than few LBJ seasons, probably thats it.

warriorfan
06-22-2020, 02:18 AM
Kevin Garnett ended LeBrons career.

If it wasn’t for KG choosing to come out East and traumatize LeBron forcing him to get turned out by Wade and choking in 2011....He could have been GOAT. That’s where it all started.

Kobe and Duncan punked KG into fleeing to the East and KG punked Lebron into being a choking and colluding mental midget.

imdaman99
06-22-2020, 02:26 AM
Too many troll threads being bumped. Listen, I didn't like Lebron either but then I realized I would miss him when he was gone (retirement). So I got over hating him and learned to appreciate greatness.

Axe
06-22-2020, 02:55 AM
Too many troll threads being bumped. Listen, I didn't like Lebron either but then I realized I would miss him when he was gone (retirement). So I got over hating him and learned to appreciate greatness.
This Duncan21formvp dup loves to bump threads like an idiot.

bizil
06-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Bron all day! BUT what Bron did for the wings in terms of all around ability (numbers and positional versatility as a package), KG did that for the big man spots (PF and C). Giannis is taking that KG blueprint to the next level, but Ticket is a HUGE REASON why 7 footers wanted to be positionless types of players. Instead of being traditional PF or C types.

IF KG was a bit more dominant as a scorer, that would make things more interesting. He's a better rebounder than Bron. His positional versatility is just as impressive it not a bit moreso. He's arguably the best passing PF ever. And his overall scoring skillset is among the best ever at the PF spot. But his scoring ability WASN'T quite on the same level as his floor game and positional versatility. Bron's scoring ability, floor game, and versatility is all on that A level. KG's had the A floor game and the A positional versatility. But his scoring ability at its best was more in that A- to B+ area.