PDA

View Full Version : Trump releases healthcare reform plan

UK2K
03-03-2016, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE]Congress must act. Our elected representatives in the House and Senate must:

Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.

Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.

Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn

rufuspaul
03-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Trump said that he liked the mandate at a town hall meeting but then reversed the next day. Overall I like this plan. It's a lot more friendly to small business and to healthcare workers.

bladefd
03-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Nothing on pre-existing conditions, huh? So, if you have diabetes like millions of Americans, you can be turned down coverage. That was a big issue before ACA made it so you cannot be denied for pre-existing conditions.

UK2K
03-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Nothing on pre-existing conditions, huh? So, if you have diabetes like millions of Americans, you can be turned down coverage. That was a big issue before ACA made it so you cannot be denied for pre-existing conditions.

My guess would be, since insurance could now cross state lines, someone will insure them. Insurance then becomes a competition, and given how many people have diabetes, I'm sure someone is more than willing to take their money. 10% of this country has diabetes, and with the increased competitiveness, I highly, highly doubt one of those companies won't insure them.

Or, they can use their HSA (or their parents).

I'm not in favor of forcing insurance companies to insure people with PEC's, because if I had 19 car wrecks, every car insurance company under the sun would deny me coverage. To be fair, if you are already dying (or your house is already burning or your car has already been wrecked), who would want to insure that?

Throw them some shitty government insurance like I'd get at the VA and call it a day. If its good enough for veterans, its good enough for them.

TheSilentKiller
03-03-2016, 12:53 PM
My guess would be, since insurance could now cross state lines, someone will insure them. Insurance then becomes a competition, and given how many people have diabetes, I'm sure someone is more than willing to take their money. 10% of this country has diabetes, and with the increased competitiveness, I highly, highly doubt one of those companies won't insure them.

I'm not in favor of forcing insurance companies to insure people with PEC's, because if I had 19 car wrecks, every car insurance company under the sun would deny me coverage. To be fair, if you are already dying (or your house is already burning or your car has already been wrecked), who would want to insure that?

Throw them some shitty government insurance like I'd get at the VA and call it a day. If its good enough for veterans, its good enough for them.
How much money are you expecting to have in a HSA in order to treat a condition like diabetes? That seems completely unreasonable.

KyrieTheFuture
03-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Everyone is already dying

UK2K
03-03-2016, 12:57 PM
How much money are you expecting to have in a HSA in order to treat a condition like diabetes? That seems completely unreasonable.
Or, as I said, they can be offered the same shitty healthcare we offer to our veterans.

That's fair, yes?

FillJackson
03-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Trump promised he was going "to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something terrific." Instead he gives us a pretty standard Republican repeal Obamacare plan. I thought he was supposed to be a break with the past.

How much thought do you think he put into this plan? Because it's different than last month's plan.

My guess would be, since insurance could now cross state lines, someone will insure them. Insurance then becomes a competition, and given how many people have diabetes, I'm sure someone is more than willing to take their money. 10% of this country has diabetes, and with the increased competitiveness, I highly, highly doubt one of those companies won't insure them. This is pretty wishful thinking.

The individual market was previously plagued with shitty insurance plans that would not insure if you had a preexisting condition -meaning even if you had insurance, you couldn't shop around for better insurance-- AND known for policies that would drop you once you got sick. You'd find once you need your insurance, it was worthless.

What exactly would change about that system if insurance could cross state lines?

Also since Trump's plan contains nothing about the new federal laws that would govern cross state insurance it's also wishful thinking to speak about this as a given.

Deductions instead of credits are useful for high-end taxpayers, but less useful for low end taxpayers, so how does this help people from "slipping through the cracks?" This makes the cracks bigger. What does this plan do about the millions of people who now have insurance that didn't have it in 2010?

TheSilentKiller
03-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Or, as I said, they can be offered the same shitty healthcare we offer to our veterans.

That's fair, yes?
I'm legitimately curious, is building up HSA's on a large scale as a means to deal with debilitating disease like diabetes feasible?

FillJackson
03-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Also if you read the full plan, (https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/healthcare-reform) it opens with a great preamble of wingnut talking points

HEALTHCARE REFORM TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Since March of 2010, the American people have had to suffer under the incredible economic burden of the Affordable Care Act—Obamacare. This legislation, passed by totally partisan votes in the House and Senate and signed into law by the most divisive and partisan President in American history, has tragically but predictably resulted in runaway costs, websites that don’t work, greater rationing of care, higher premiums, less competition and fewer choices. Obamacare has raised the economic uncertainty of every single person residing in this country. As it appears Obamacare is certain to collapse of its own weight, the damage done by the Democrats and President Obama, and abetted by the Supreme Court, will be difficult to repair unless the next President and a Republican congress lead the effort to bring much-needed free market reforms to the healthcare industry.
The economic burden is my favorite. Rubio and Cruz also claim it's a job killing law. I wonder if the data supports that.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/images/jobsChart_ACA_020516.jpg

HitandRun Reggie
03-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Yeah pre-existing conditions is a biggie. The healthy populace will have to absorb the costs, but you have to offer sick people options other than going broke to the point they qualify for social aid.

UK2K
03-03-2016, 01:17 PM
I'm legitimately curious, is building up HSA's on a large scale as a means to deal with debilitating disease like diabetes feasible?
I guess it depends on how much it costs.

Let's say I pay $100 a month for healthcare insurance. I haven't been to a hospital (except in the military where it was mandated) since I broke my arm 12 years ago. Now, I got fat and developed diabetes.

12 x 12 x 100 = roughly $15,000.

Like I said, I don't know how much it costs because I don't have diabetes, but if the average person is paying several hundred a month for insurance, that can add up pretty quickly.

Again, I'm all for putting people on the same healthcare plan the VA offers. That'd give them a good reason to fix that nightmare anyway.

UK2K
03-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Trump promised he was going "to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something terrific." Instead he gives us a pretty standard Republican repeal Obamacare plan. I thought he was supposed to be a break with the past.

How much thought do you think he put into this plan? Because it's different than last month's plan.

This is pretty wishful thinking.

The individual market was previously plagued with shitty insurance plans that would not insure if you had a preexisting condition -meaning even if you had insurance, you couldn't shop around for better insurance-- AND known for policies that would drop you once you got sick. You'd find once you need your insurance, it was worthless.

What exactly would change about that system if insurance could cross state lines?

Also since Trump's plan contains nothing about the new federal laws that would govern cross state insurance it's also wishful thinking to speak about this as a given.

Deductions instead of credits are useful for high-end taxpayers, but less useful for low end taxpayers, so how does this help people from "slipping through the cracks?" This makes the cracks bigger. What does this plan do about the millions of people who now have insurance that didn't have it in 2010?
More consumers. Imagine an insurance company in Kentucky... they'd be paying out the ass since KY is full of fat unhealthy people.

But if it's a nationwide thing, then you've got the fatties more evenly dispersed.

How I read it anyway. I could be wrong.

Nick Young
03-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Honestly this is a great plan. The free market should be allowed to dictate insurance prices. Healthy competition is what's best for business.

Unlike Shillary and Obama, Trump owes nothing to these insurance companies and I'm happy he is going to take them down from their seat of power, as well as dismantle useless Obama care which made us look like wannabe Sweden Jrs.

Laissez-faire, bitch

TheSilentKiller
03-03-2016, 02:35 PM
I guess it depends on how much it costs.

Let's say I pay $100 a month for healthcare insurance. I haven't been to a hospital (except in the military where it was mandated) since I broke my arm 12 years ago. Now, I got fat and developed diabetes.

12 x 12 x 100 = roughly $15,000.

Like I said, I don't know how much it costs because I don't have diabetes, but if the average person is paying several hundred a month for insurance, that can add up pretty quickly.

Again, I'm all for putting people on the same healthcare plan the VA offers. That'd give them a good reason to fix that nightmare anyway.
That's a terrible waste of money for people. Putting that much money into a HSA without getting much of any return on that money <<<<<

Nanners
03-03-2016, 02:35 PM
i seriously doubt the major insurance companies and their lobbyists will ever let obamacare be repealed.

UK2K
03-03-2016, 02:39 PM
That's a terrible waste of money for people. Putting that much money into a HSA without getting much of any return on that money <<<<<

Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.

Until your family members get sick, then it aint so bad.

Plus, its tax free. Also think the payments are tax deductible but not sure.

TheSilentKiller
03-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Until your family members get sick, then it aint so bad.

Plus, its tax free. Also think the payments are tax deductible but not sure.
But you offered it as a good alternative for young people (the biggest demographic without dependent family members).

You know what's better than 15k in a HSA for dealing with a debilitating illness? Properly invested money in interest accumulating accounts and funds

IIRC payments aren't tax deductible

FillJackson
03-03-2016, 02:49 PM
You could go through 15K in medical bills quite quickly.

I went to bed feeling fine one night. Woke up the next morning having to be rushed to emergency room and was in the hospital for 5 days.

Well over 15K.

TheSilentKiller
03-03-2016, 02:50 PM
I guess I'll take a step back and say that investing in an HSA can work for some people, but for the majority of young people i think it's smarter to invest in a 401k in which a company can match more than just $500 (like an HSA).

Nick Young
03-03-2016, 02:51 PM

This is pretty wishful thinking.

KevinNYC, why aren't you posting on your original account bro?:confusedshrug:

What Trump is promising here is terrific. He stayed true to his word. When is the last time Shillary did that?

Nanners
03-03-2016, 02:52 PM
HSA would never work for the average american unless we can get the cost of healthcare in america waaaaaaaay down.

You would be much better off investing your HSA money and then flying to some latin american country when you need medical treatment.

FillJackson
03-03-2016, 02:52 PM
HSA currently require you to be in a high deductible plan. This may or may not work out for your everyday health expenses.

DukeDelonte13
03-03-2016, 03:39 PM
y'all are pretty damn dumb if you think that "someone will insure so and so with a preexisting condition"

No they won't. I've met plenty of people who have been deemed unisurable before the change. I'm in an industry where the vast vast majority of people are on their own for healthcare.

So trump's plan is basically f*ck the consumer, you are on your own, best of luck if you get cancer and your provider dumps you.

(but you can have your own special savings account so you can pay hundreds of thousands out of pocket).

WTF?

99% of this board has never in their lives had to arrange for their own health insurance.

99% of this board doesn't understand what Obamacare actually does.

99% of this board doesn't understand that under Obamacare there are more tax savings for consumers that what was there previously.

DukeDelonte13
03-03-2016, 03:42 PM

it's called an SR-22 bond.

and car insurance is MANDATED because the states don't want people getting in car accidents causing tons of damages and not being able to pay bills.

We can't have a system that encourages people to go to the hospital uninsured, racks up hundreds of thousands, and doesn't pay their bills. Deadbeats raise the cost of health care.

bladefd
03-03-2016, 03:49 PM
it's called an SR-22 bond.

and car insurance is MANDATED because the states don't want people getting in car accidents causing tons of damages and not being able to pay bills.

We can't have a system that encourages people to go to the hospital uninsured, racks up hundreds of thousands, and doesn't pay their bills. Deadbeats raise the cost of health care.

UK2K keeps bringing up car insurance whenever we discuss healthcare. He doesn't realize car insurance is required in this country if you have a car - no different from health insurance under ACA :facepalm

UK2K
03-05-2016, 12:54 PM
UK2K keeps bringing up car insurance whenever we discuss healthcare. He doesn't realize car insurance is required in this country if you have a car - no different from health insurance under ACA :facepalm

Car insurance isn't required unless the car is going to be driven on a public road. If it's not registered, it doesn't require insurance.

Tell me again what I don't realize... :lol

bladefd
03-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Car insurance isn't required unless the car is going to be driven on a public road. If it's not registered, it doesn't require insurance.

Tell me again what I don't realize... :lol

How many people own a car they don't drive? Unless if you are a multi-millionaire who buys a showcase antique car that will not be driven :facepalm