PDA

View Full Version : Changes in NBA History in Stat-Keeping

Stringer Bell
03-04-2016, 01:42 AM
Almost everyone has heard how the stat keeping of assists can be inconsistent, and people like Oscar the Grouch have complained about it being too lenient nowadays.

I was on another page and someone pointed out how off the stats were for rebounds back in the 50s and 60s.

Obviously not every missed shot is going to result in a rebound. There are air balls, shots that go out of bounds, loose balls, a guy goes up for 2 FTs and misses the 1st, etc..

There's always several more missed shots than rebounds. For 2014-15, teams missed a combined 51.8 shots (46.1 FGs and 5.7 FTs) and averaged 43.3 rebounds per game. It's been like this for a long time.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

Looking back in the 50s and 60s, the amount of rebounds is so high. In fact, in 1959-60, teams averaged 73.5 rebounds per game and 73.7 misses per game (64.2 FGs and 9.5 FTs). This just seems really off and makes me question the accuracy of the stats. I wonder if they just called anything a rebound, such as the ball bouncing off the rim, it turns into a loose ball, and the guy who gets the loose ball is awarded with the rebound.

Any of the historians know anything about the stat keeping during this era?

On a side note, it must have been strange to see the crazy pace of how quickly teams shot the ball.

Teams routinely averaged over 100 FGs per game in the 60s, even 109 FGA one year. For comparison, the "6 Seconds or Less" Suns with Nash averaged about 87 FGA per game.

warriorfan
03-04-2016, 01:52 AM
this passes the smell test

Kblaze8855
03-04-2016, 02:18 AM
These days a block never gets you a rebound. I wouldnt doubt if a block in the 60s....that you control...could be a rebound. They had no blocks. Perhaps a missed shot due to a block....is called a rebound for who catches it.