PDA

View Full Version : Is Clyde Drexler underrated?

TheImmortal
03-04-2016, 04:34 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/r2w2gi.jpg

Dude put up 20.5pts/ 7reb and 5ast on 48%FG on the 95 championship Rockets and nobody talks about it.. as if Hakeem won by himself.. :biggums: :confusedshrug:

bigkingsfan
03-04-2016, 04:39 AM
That's Hakeem in the previous year.

Kawhi
03-04-2016, 05:09 AM
as if Hakeem won by himself.. :biggums: :confusedshrug:
He did.

The year prior.

AintNoSunshine
03-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Yes

Height Freak
03-04-2016, 09:27 AM
He is somewhat, but a great player non of the less...

One of the reasons people have underrated him in the past is that he was soft whenever he had to face the alphas of his generation and too nice off the court.

Terahite
03-04-2016, 01:08 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/r2w2gi.jpg

Dude put up 20.5pts/ 7reb and 5ast on 48%FG on the 95 championship Rockets and nobody talks about it.. as if Hakeem won by himself.. :biggums: :confusedshrug:

Those '96 Rockets jerseys were the ugliest things ever. Totally ruined the old school look of the championship years design. If it aint broke don't "fix" it stupids. :facepalm

Myth
03-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Easily underrated. I feel like only Blazer fans truly appreciate him, while Rockets fans may as well.

feyki
03-04-2016, 01:19 PM
It's change to what do you think about him .

JohnnySic
03-04-2016, 01:20 PM
6th best 2-guard ever behind MJ, Kobe, West, Wade, and Iverson (yes, AI was a 2).

j3lademaster
03-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Not really. He was never in that AI/ Kobe/ Lebron marketability; not as dominant as the Shaqs; didn't have a particular one skill he was GOAT at (i.e VC for dunking); he isn't obscure enough like Dantley or Michael 'least known 27/10 season of the modern era" Adams; doesn't have the "what-if" mystique to his career as a Penny or Hill; and finally doesn't have much people can really sink their teeth into and "hate on". If you think about the number of historical players frequently talked about on ISH: MJ, Shaq, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Russell... that's a damn short list. It's not an insult to how good he was that he isn't talked about more.

Whatever it is to Clyde, there's another guy in history just more interesting in that certain facet. He's not obscure, most even casual fans know who he is and perhaps if he didn't come up with Michael Jordan he'd be more popular, but it is what it is.

All in all, not underrated- people think he's good enough of a player.

Out_In_Utah
03-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Those '96 Rockets jerseys were the ugliest things ever. Totally ruined the old school look of the championship years design. If it aint broke don't "fix" it stupids. :facepalm
That was the 90s though. They were cool for the time, even if the design didn't hold up.

Zach LaVine
03-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Where did ESPN rank him?

ClipperRevival
03-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Absolutely.

He had the misfortune of playing almost his entire career against the GOAT. In any other era, he would be more highly regarded. Without his dominant performance against the Jazz in the 1995 playoffs, Houston doesn't repeat. He was "the man" on two teams that made the finals. Again, he had the misfortune of facing GOAT level teams in the 1990 Pistons and 1992 Bulls. One of the most well rounded wings to ever play the game. He gave you a Pippen like all around game WITH the alpha dog scoring ability to boot. One of the most agile, fluid and smooth athletes to ever play the game.

ClipperRevival
03-04-2016, 08:07 PM
6th best 2-guard ever behind MJ, Kobe, West, Wade, and Iverson (yes, AI was a 2).

I take Drexler over AI in a split second. Not even close. AI was the better scorer but he was incredibly inefficient, a chucker and didn't play optimal team ball. Plus, being 6'0" versus 6'7" matters.

greatest-ever
03-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Nah, not really i think he's generally rated fairly properly. I rarely see him out of the top 35 on any list. I'd have him top 30 but i think he gets his respect for the most part.

dazzer87
03-04-2016, 08:09 PM
that blazers team in the late 90s with Drexler and Porter and company was the best team that never won the championship. They were even better than the Kings.

GrapeApe
03-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Peak Drexler was a beast but he was also a really good player right up until he retired. In his final season he averaged 18/6/5 with a 20 PER and he played 70 games. Among SG's, only Jordan, Kobe, and current Wade have had similar or better production at the same age. He only played 35 games with the Rockets in 1995 but he had an excellent playoff run and was integral to winning a title.

I don't really think he's underrated, but maybe a little forgotten. When people talk about him they acknowledge how great he was, but he doesn't get talked about as much as some of the other superstars of his era.