PDA

View Full Version : Help out the Seattle fans

Purch
03-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Seattle is currently at a pivotal moment for getting our arena built, and we are in need of signatures to support our arena. Please take 30 seconds to help us out!

http://www.sonicsarena.com/petition

:cheers:

Fallen Angel
03-05-2016, 09:26 AM
dumb investment

Purch
03-05-2016, 09:36 AM
dumb investment

It's being done with Public bonds. The hearings on March 15th

zizozain
03-05-2016, 10:21 AM
done

Purch
03-05-2016, 11:06 AM
The current situation is that the NHL seems intrested in going to seattle if they get a new arena. In seattle they're having a hearing for creating a new Arena using public bondz on march 15th. If a new arena is created then it would also remove the major obstacle towards a future for the sonics as well. As you know many arenas transfer between hockey and basketball multiple times a week

Purch
03-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Done. :applause:

Thanks man
Thanks

Purch
03-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Ultimatley the quicker the arena is in place, the better chances of for the city. Arena take a few years to build as well

ralph_i_el
03-05-2016, 05:57 PM
How about using tax dollars to NOT fund a stadium for billionaire owners and millionaire players to make money in?

If cities stopped caving for this BS, owners would have to pony up for the facilities that THEY make the profit off. Either that, or cities should start buying teams.

Purch
03-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Keep the signatures coming

Haymaker
03-05-2016, 08:36 PM
How about using tax dollars to NOT fund a stadium for billionaire owners and millionaire players to make money in?

If cities stopped caving for this BS, owners would have to pony up for the facilities that THEY make the profit off. Either that, or cities should start buying teams.

Hi there mr. conservative. Well, tax dollars are supposed to be spent to create such kind of investment that helps the city to recover all that money through jobs created (construction, operating, management, etc.), indirect jobs (merchandise and food sales, vendors, etc.) plus it helps to push the economic activity around the area and as a result the city's value go up and more investment is encouraged. Or do you prefer that your tax money get spent on useless wars/occupations in the middle east?

Rizko
03-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Hi there mr. conservative. Well, tax dollars are supposed to be spent to create such kind of investment that helps the city to recover all that money through jobs created (construction, operating, management, etc.), indirect jobs (merchandise and food sales, vendors, etc.) plus it helps to push the economic activity around the area and as a result the city's value go up and more investment is encouraged. Or do you prefer that your tax money get spent on useless wars/occupations in the middle east?
I never post really but god damn this post is a joke and I just gotta say something.

First off why even bring up wars in the middle east? Thats a federal issue and this is a city municipal bond. Totally different taxes being paid so it's really weird that you'd even bring that up like you made some amazing point or something.

Secondly I've read enough ralph_i_el posts to know he doesn't need your condescending grade school explanation of the economic incentive cities have to pay for stadiums. I'm pretty sure he's well aware that if you view it over the long haul that a city is obviously better off paying then not, even tho it'll take a while to see all the money coming back to you.

The point he brought up, and it's one that I completely agree with, is that cities shouldn't allow themselves to become hostage to rich owners demanding that the city pay crazy stadium fees to keep the team in the city. It's because the owners know if one city won't pay another with a NBA ready stadium will (OKC being the prime example). But that doesn't negate the fact that if every city stopped caving to these demands and no one ever agreed to pay for the stadiums that the owners would have to pay for the stadiums themselves (as I feel they should anyways).

Now as we've established there are economic incentives viewed in the long term for bringing a team in, and without looking at numbers I bet for a team moving into a new city it's an even greater impact so thats why we'll always see teams being able to use there power to get free stadiums.

The solution, one which ralph_i_el brought up already, is to for cities to buy the teams themselves, the Green Bay ownership model essentially. I mean if you're gonna fork over 500 mil for a stadium to host teams why not double that, or even triple it, and then get the team that goes with the stadium and then you keep all the money? Obviously harder said then done but still a worthy idea IMO.

Please don't waste your time with a reply cause I hardly ever log in tho I read every day and I really don't feel like getting into a tit-for-tat over something thats ultimately fairly trivial in both our lives.

Hopper15
03-05-2016, 09:14 PM
**** Seattle. I can't stand Cheat Carroll or Richard Sherman.

Purch
03-05-2016, 10:58 PM
Keep the votes coming. You guys have great so far

ralph_i_el
03-05-2016, 11:01 PM

I've voted Republican before, but I'm a Sanders supporter. There are much better ways to boost a local economy than building a sports stadium with public money. You wouldn't build an office building for IBM. They have money and can do it themselves.

Rizco said everything I could about this topic. Repped.

bigkingsfan
03-05-2016, 11:04 PM
They haven't done anything for us, so no.

Kblaze8855
03-06-2016, 04:00 AM
Eh. Team in Seattle is more likely to be somewhere else losing theirs than a straight up expansion. A petition for Seattle is just one against fans elsewhere. Nobody just....deserves...a team. They just are where they are and fans will bitch no matter what. It will just be some other market complaining that something a guy pays 800 million dollars for was "stolen" from them.

NBA announces plans for a double expansion including Seattle and Virginia Beach(larger population than several NBA markets believe it or not)...ok. Id be fine. I dont see how a team moving to Seattle is just....the right thing to do. Someone is always gonna complain....and Seattle wont care about them.

They damn near got the Kings a couple years ago.

Purch
03-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Eh. Team in Seattle is more likely to be somewhere else losing theirs than a straight up expansion. A petition for Seattle is just one against fans elsewhere. Nobody just....deserves...a team. They just are where they are and fans will bitch no matter what. It will just be some other market complaining that something a guy pays 800 million dollars for was "stolen" from them.

NBA announces plans for a double expansion including Seattle and Virginia Beach(larger population than several NBA markets believe it or not)...ok. Id be fine. I dont see how a team moving to Seattle is just....the right thing to do. Someone is always gonna complain....and Seattle wont care about them. The hearing for the arena is March 15th

They damn near got the Kings a couple years ago.

Adam Silver said he won't consider expansion for 3-5 years. Building an arena takes about three years. Regardless of whether it's expansion or relocation, creating this new arena for an nhl team is the first step to having an arena suitable for the Sonics. That's a big step in the right direction for any future negotiations. If the arena is built for the nhl already, the league has no city politics to deal with.

That being said, the majority of people signing up aren't the ones commenting. So continue signing, and I love the support.

Haymaker
03-06-2016, 07:57 AM
I never post really but god damn this post is a joke and I just gotta say something.

First off why even bring up wars in the middle east? Thats a federal issue and this is a city municipal bond. Totally different taxes being paid so it's really weird that you'd even bring that up like you made some amazing point or something.

Secondly I've read enough ralph_i_el posts to know he doesn't need your condescending grade school explanation of the economic incentive cities have to pay for stadiums. I'm pretty sure he's well aware that if you view it over the long haul that a city is obviously better off paying then not, even tho it'll take a while to see all the money coming back to you.

The point he brought up, and it's one that I completely agree with, is that cities shouldn't allow themselves to become hostage to rich owners demanding that the city pay crazy stadium fees to keep the team in the city. It's because the owners know if one city won't pay another with a NBA ready stadium will (OKC being the prime example). But that doesn't negate the fact that if every city stopped caving to these demands and no one ever agreed to pay for the stadiums that the owners would have to pay for the stadiums themselves (as I feel they should anyways).

Now as we've established there are economic incentives viewed in the long term for bringing a team in, and without looking at numbers I bet for a team moving into a new city it's an even greater impact so thats why we'll always see teams being able to use there power to get free stadiums.

The solution, one which ralph_i_el brought up already, is to for cities to buy the teams themselves, the Green Bay ownership model essentially. I mean if you're gonna fork over 500 mil for a stadium to host teams why not double that, or even triple it, and then get the team that goes with the stadium and then you keep all the money? Obviously harder said then done but still a worthy idea IMO.

Please don't waste your time with a reply cause I hardly ever log in tho I read every day and I really don't feel like getting into a tit-for-tat over something thats ultimately fairly trivial in both our lives.

I may have been wrong about the war thing but I'm right about everything else. Keepbyour replies short and enjoy real life. This is just a forum afterall.

Purch
03-07-2016, 09:16 AM
It's pretty simple.. The people of a town should dictate what they build in that town

dunksby
03-07-2016, 09:25 AM
It's pretty simple.. The people of a town should dictate what they build in that town
Yet you are here asking for people from other cities and even countries to help dictate that, hell you don't live in that "town" either.

Purch
03-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Yet you are here asking for people from other cities and even countries to help dictate that, hell you don't live in that "town" either.

1. I'm asking for us to sign this to give our support to get the conversation going at the hearing on March 15th. Ultimatley it's up to the people of that town to make the decisions once that conversation occurs. What we're simply doing is signing to support a faction in seattle, who are trying to do something positive within their communiy. Supporting and directly deciding things are two completley different things.

2. I'm not from Seattle and I'm not a Seattle fan. I simple copied and pasted this from another forum, because I wanted to support another fanbase in whatever way I could.

dunksby
03-07-2016, 09:48 AM
1. I'm asking for us to sign this to give our support to get the conversation going at the hearing on March 15th. Ultimatley it's up to the people of that town to make the decisions once that conversation occurs. What we're simply doing is signing to support a faction in seattle, who are trying to do something positive within their communiy. Supporting and directly deciding things are two completley different things.

2. I'm not from Seattle and I'm not a Seattle fan. I simple copied and pasted this from another forum, because I wanted to support another fanbase in whatever way I could.
I already signed it the first time, but your logic doesn't really make sense, you say:"people of the town should dictate..." while neither of us, as in let's say you and I, are part of that town.

Zach LaVine
03-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Just signed it.

Purch
03-07-2016, 09:57 AM
I already signed it the first time, but your logic doesn't really make sense, you say:"people of the town should dictate..." while neither of us, as in let's say you and I, are part of that town.

The logic is as follows... If the people of the town are willing to pay the price for the arena, they should be allowed to vote on it and make an informed decisions.

You're combining two different things... We're signing the petion to help bring it to that point, where that conversation/vote can be held by the people of that town. Just like other issues are voted on in a town during local elections.

Anyway, thanks for the signature.

Definitly keep the signatures coming

FireDavidKahn
03-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Too bad it's been proven that pro sports stadiums don't have any net effect over the local economy.:sleeping

Lakers Legend#32
03-07-2016, 03:14 PM
I just signed and #FOKC

navy
03-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Nope. Im not oppose to tax dollars being used, the thing is though that the citizens should get their dollars back in actually dollars not economic dollars.

Lebron23
03-07-2016, 03:36 PM

Repped. Haymaker got slayed.

Purch
03-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Keep those signatures coming

HurricaneKid
03-07-2016, 07:24 PM
When they were really close to actually getting a team, the new owner was going to pay for the stadium without municipal assistance but now that they don't have a team, with no plans of getting a team, you want the city to pay for it?

This has happened once in my lifetime. When Tampa built one for baseball. But without assuances there was going to be a team they cheaped out and needed a new stadium in 10 years anyways. That has been a travesty. Building two stadiums for a team the city didn't want.

This is fiscally idiotic.

COnDEMnED
03-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Done. Take the Clippers plz.

Sakkreth
03-07-2016, 07:51 PM
I want Seattle to have a team but it's for people of Seattle to decide if that's what they want to have their taxes spent on or not. I can't decide for them.