PDA

View Full Version : Report: Kevin Durant to leave OKC if Thunder don't reach NBA Finals

Legends66NBA7
03-08-2016, 02:09 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/973969

It may take an extremely deep playoff run from the Oklahoma City Thunder for four-time scoring champion Kevin Durant to remain with the franchise for at least one more season.

During an appearance on SiriusXM NBA Radio on Monday, Joel Meyers, the voice of the New Orleans Pelicans, discussed the possibility of Durant leaving the Thunder when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"I made some calls over the weekend. If they don't, I'm told if they don't at least get to the NBA Finals, Durant's gone," Meyers said, as transcribed by the Oklahoman's Darnell Mayberry. "Simple as that."

The reigning NBA champion Golden State Warriors have previously been reported as "significant front-runners" to acquire Durant, however, the chances of the seven-time All-Star aligning with Stephen Curry aren't as strong as some may believe, according to Meyers' sources.

"So everybody's talking about Golden State. There may be other teams coming into the equation for Kevin Durant," Meyers said. "He's the principle. He's going to be the guy. So from what I've been told, it may not be Golden State after all.

"Everybody thought it was, like, 'Well, maybe he can slide in there, and they won't match whoever makes an offer to Harrison Barnes. So it frees up that cap space that they would have given to Harrison Barnes.' But the calls I took, and some of the people I talked to over the weekend being in the building, it's not such a deadlock."

The Thunder have struggled to put wins on the board since returning from the All-Star break, going 3-6 since Feb. 19 - including losses to the Warriors and Los Angeles Clippers where OKC led entering the fourth quarter.

Even with their recent shortcomings, the Thunder (43-20) remain locked in as the third seed, with a two-game lead over the Clippers.

Durant is currently ranked third in the NBA in scoring at 28.1 points per game, shooting 50.7 from the field and 39.1 percent from 3-point range.

Nilocon165
03-08-2016, 02:10 PM
What a bitch. And he was one of my favorite players.

MEB2kDeez
03-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Wouldn't be surprised, honestly.

Sarcastic
03-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Water is wet. Sky is blue.

Overdrive
03-08-2016, 02:13 PM
So a representative of a different team knows how KD feels inside?

Fallen Angel
03-08-2016, 02:14 PM
March 9, 2016.

We're making this accusation on March 9, 2016...

AirTupac
03-08-2016, 02:16 PM
So a representative of a different team knows how KD feels inside?

He has been around for decades and is a good source. Ya mad?

MJistheGOAT
03-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Captain obvious. He is tired of wasting his prime in this low BBIQ, awful coaches, cheap FO and chucker partner team.

The interesting question is where could he go??

Boston? GSW? Blazers? Wizards?

Overdrive
03-08-2016, 02:21 PM
He has been around for decades and is a good source. Ya mad?

No, I don't care where Kevin Durant plays. Would love him on the Lakers, but isn't gonna happen so what. Just found it odd that a stranger to the team would know. Especially not citing personal talks to KD as a source.

You seem to try to get into quarrels with others lately, though.

hold this L
03-08-2016, 02:23 PM
I hope he doesn't go to GSW or a Lebron team. Go to the east and make that conference relevant again, and make it harder for LBJ to make the NBA final. Celtics or Pistons preferably. :pimp:

thefatmiral
03-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Blazers or go east. Wizards? What about the heat? He could collude next year. But I doubt it's with LeBron or curry. He seems like one if those sensitive types that doesn't want to be criticized or the ridiculed so it's likely he stays

AirTupac
03-08-2016, 02:30 PM
No, I don't care where Kevin Durant plays. Would love him on the Lakers, but isn't gonna happen so what. Just found it odd that a stranger to the team would know. Especially not citing personal talks to KD as a source.

You seem to try to get into quarrels with others lately, though.

My whole ISH career* The dude is a good source tho

SwishSquared
03-08-2016, 02:30 PM
I'd be shocked if he let $30M+ on the table this summer. But it wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Overdrive
03-08-2016, 02:37 PM
My whole ISH career* The dude is a good source tho

He's basically stating the obvious, but the finals part seems really concrete, too concrete. Something an outsider just shouldn't know. Something most people in the organisation shouldn't even know. If true, just shows how bad OKC is handling internal affairs.

When I first joined you seemed more laid back.

kamil
03-08-2016, 02:41 PM
I'd be shocked if he let $30M+ on the table this summer. But it wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Suppose you've made about 60 million dollars. Do you really care about 30 million versus less but a championship?

FreezingTsmoove
03-08-2016, 02:46 PM
What a bitch. And he was one of my favorite players.

Nikka have you ever been to hicktown? KD has openly said in the past there isnt shit to do in hickcity

Westbrook spends all his time in Cali when he gets the chance too

Legends66NBA7
03-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Suppose you've made about 60 million dollars. Do you really care about 30 million versus less but a championship?

Can't overvalue a championship over more earnings. He can make the most money in OKC, unless he starts getting a lot of endorsements for his next team, which will probably have to be a big market like NY or LA.

dunksby
03-08-2016, 02:52 PM
OKC failed him, KD gave the team all, no surprise he wants out.

tmacattack33
03-08-2016, 02:53 PM
Good.

This is actually late. He doesn't work well with Westbrook. It's been proven.

AirTupac
03-08-2016, 02:54 PM
He's basically stating the obvious, but the finals part seems really concrete, too concrete. Something an outsider just shouldn't know. Something most people in the organisation shouldn't even know. If true, just shows how bad OKC is handling internal affairs.

When I first joined you seemed more laid back.

I was, then ISH hit me :cry:

SwishSquared
03-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Suppose you've made about 60 million dollars. Do you really care about 30 million versus less but a championship?He's made more than that, especially when you factor in his endorsements. But if he jumps to the Dubs, or elsewhere, in 2017 instead it will be a whole lot more lucrative. I think that does matter to him ultimately, but I could be very wrong. Winning a title is obviously important to him, but if he delays that time window by 1 year, maybe it won't matter as much to him.

AlphaWolf24
03-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Man....back in 2010 I thought for sure OKC would have been to multiple Finals and won a few by now....

That team was scary good....and they did make it in 2012...I thought for sure they would be back and win it all.

anything can happen when the playoffs start...so you never know...but it does seem that the Durant era in OKC may be coming to an end...:confusedshrug:

Basketball is so dependent on chemistry ( only 5 guys at a time on a small area)..sometimes KD and WB don't play well together ....and fight each other for who's gonna be the main weapon.

my opinions only..

dannywpt
03-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Don't blame him for not staying on a team where your third best player is Enes Kanter who plays 15-20min a game and can't defend a barn door.

MMM
03-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Don't blame him for not staying on a team where your third best player is Enes Kanter who plays 15-20min a game and can't defend a barn door.

If your 3rd best player is playing 15-20 mins, then he is probably not the 3rd best player, but I do get where you are coming from

choppermagic
03-08-2016, 03:20 PM

And he would easily make that $30M back in endorsements if he goes to LA or NY.

Haymaker
03-08-2016, 03:22 PM
KD's best option to win immediately and repeat = Warriors.

He could swallow his ego and become part of a whole instead of trying to be the man.

imdaman99
03-08-2016, 03:27 PM
If he went to the Warriors, it would be a btch move ESPECIALLY if they cruise to a ring this year. Why go to a team that you KNOW doesn't need you to win a ring? You don't think every loss they get or if they don't win 70 again will be blamed on you? He doesn't get any of the blame in OKC because we know how sensitive he was to it in that playoff series against Memphis (Mr. Unreliable) so imagine him getting all the heat?

Go to a team where you know you are a big reason the team will win it all. I'd love to say that would be the Knicks but they got no damn backcourt. Well, no damn starting PG unless Grant develops.

Hopper15
03-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Woj sources>> Some play by play announcer's sources

Warriors are the frontrunners.

StephHamann
03-08-2016, 03:29 PM
If he moves to Boston or Washington - alpha

If he moves to Golden State he is the biggest bitch in NBA history

Nikola_
03-08-2016, 03:31 PM
He will team up with Hardon and Dwert

JimmyMcAdocious
03-08-2016, 03:49 PM
If he's leaving because he doesn't see the ceiling of a championship in OKC, why would he go to Boston, Portland, or Washington? Ignore the Spurs for a moment because I think we see a drop off once Duncan and Ginobili retire, and that can't be much longer than two seasons. Wouldn't shock me if this was there last. Even with Durant, I don't think any of those other three teams are on the same level as the Warriors. I suppose you can't underestimate the greatness of GOAT Stevens and maybe finally getting an actual player would allow him to dominate the league. Still don't see it tho.

Like Durant on the Wiz or Blazers... Is that a 56-60+ win team? Because that's already what he is on now.

If he goes and it is about the rings then, imo, it should be GS, or I guess somehow Cleveland if that's even an option. Otherwise he's making a lateral move. Unless there's more to it like he just wants to get away from Westbrook and the constantly ****ing up OKC front office. That I could understand. But don't make not winning the championship a cop-out then.

oh the horror
03-08-2016, 03:56 PM
If he's leaving because he doesn't see the ceiling of a championship in OKC, why would he go to Boston, Portland, or Washington? Ignore the Spurs for a moment because I think we see a drop off once Duncan and Ginobili retire, and that can't be much longer than two seasons. Wouldn't shock me if this was there last. Even with Durant, I don't think any of those other three teams are on the same level as the Warriors. I suppose you can't underestimate the greatness of GOAT Stevens and maybe finally getting an actual player would allow him to dominate the league. Still don't see it tho.

Like Durant on the Wiz or Blazers... Is that a 56-60+ win team? Because that's what he is on now.

If goes and it is about the rings then imo it should be GS, or I guess somehow Cleveland if that's even an option. Otherwise he's making a lateral move. Unless there's more to it like he just wants to get away from Westbrook and the ****ing up OKC front office. That I could understand. But don't make not winning the championship a cop-out then.

Or at least to an organization that can sell him on their willingness to do what it takes to put forth a championship team.

You know people will rip KD but he's given OKC more than enough seasons to see what happens and frankly they aren't going to ever put together the type of team that'll win a title.

We all know some organizations are better than others out there at getting it done.

Haymaker
03-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Or at least to an organization that can sell him on their willingness to do what it takes to put forth a championship team.

Like Heat, Spurs, Celtics (Got the assets to get 1 more Superstar) or Lakers (If Buss steps down and Mitch takes over).

Myth
03-08-2016, 04:15 PM
I will be happy as long as he doesn't go to LA (either), Rockets, Warriors, or team up with LeBron.

dazzer87
03-08-2016, 04:31 PM
get to the nba finals? ft35 will barely make it out of the 1st rd.....

NZStreetBaller
03-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Well atleast lebron fans cant say sht when it comes to colluding

Dragonyeuw
03-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Durant and Westbrook haven't really evolved their on-court chemistry over the years. They still operate as two solo acts which will carry them through the regular season, but not in the playoffs against a team like Golden State or Spurs.

Spurs m8
03-08-2016, 05:30 PM
OKC are the biggest let down in a long time tbh

Seems to be the same old shit all the time with these 2

RoseCity07
03-08-2016, 05:38 PM
As long as he stays in the West I'll respect his move. Going east is a Lebron level p*ssy move. If he were to go to a team like the Wizards becaue he wants an easy road to the ECFs that would destroy his potential legacy.

MJistheGOAT
03-08-2016, 06:16 PM
It will be great for the league if KD goes to East.
Add that to Spurs renovation and there will be more parity between conferences.

About legacy I think he has a good amount of individual accolades, he need that ring to cement it and to gain confidence.

If he goes to GSW he will have the rings for sure, but he should have to play a not superstar/batman role. And the risk is enormous. Imagine GSW wins the ring this year and next year they don

Fire Colangelo
03-08-2016, 06:29 PM
No one could blame him as well.
cant say he didnt try for them:coleman:

People will blame him though... just like they did LeBron, Shaq, etc.

smoovegittar
03-08-2016, 06:43 PM
KD and Rondo to Knicks. Thibodeau to coach.

theaussieguy
03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
KD and Rondo to Knicks. Thibodeau to coach.

Rondo + Durant =formidable force, could fill the rest of the team with d-leaguers and the chip is still a lock

Cocaine80s
03-08-2016, 06:47 PM
:applause: :applause:

https://blog-blogmediainc.netdna-ssl.com/upload/SportsBlogcom/43037/0128081001443314498_filepicker.jpg

http://orig13.deviantart.net/368b/f/2011/213/7/d/lebron_james_by_rondo9mvp-d42d77t.jpg

smoovegittar
03-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Rondo + Durant =formidable force, could fill the rest of the team with d-leaguers and the chip is still a lock

Melo will recruit. Throw in KP and East gets better......

Vancouver-Grizz
03-08-2016, 07:04 PM
There are only a few reasons why I think Durant actually might leave is because he is not sure if Westbrook will bolt and his chances of winning slims down quite a bit plus he is locked down on a losing situation. There is also maybe some resentment in letting Harden go and maybe lost of faith in the organization in building a winner when they throw a case full of cash at Kantar who is barely making an impact on the team based on what he is getting paid.

WorldWarriors
03-08-2016, 07:30 PM
3h - Royce Young

Kevin Durant on Finals-or-bust ultimatum: Never said that, never thought that

The Kevin Durant free-agency rumor mill continues to churn, and Durant shot down the latest rumor on Tuesday.
http://espn.go.com/blog/okc-thunder/post/_/id/1264/kevin-durant-on-finals-or-bust-ultimatum-never-said-that-never-thought-that

Thunderfan86
03-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Kevin Durant ain't going no where

Black and White
03-08-2016, 07:53 PM
Come to Boston KD, Danny will put the right team around you and Coach Stevens will take you to the next level.

dazzer87
03-08-2016, 07:54 PM
yeah its a amazing place to live at..........

so what day is cow tipping? Friday or Sat night?

navy
03-08-2016, 07:55 PM
To be honest, he'll stay just to spite the people saying he's leaving.

Dr Seuss
03-08-2016, 07:56 PM
As long as he stays in the West I'll respect his move. Going east is a Lebron level p*ssy move. If he were to go to a team like the Wizards becaue he wants an easy road to the ECFs that would destroy his potential legacy.

thats a bit of an asinine statment. going to the heat DID NOT "destroy" lebrons legacy. so no way would KD going to Washington destroy his.

and in about 30 years, if he did go to WAS, all the NBA history buffs will be saying KD went to his hometown team as a FA. revisionist history, yes. but its what will happen

Thunderfan86
03-08-2016, 08:21 PM
yeah its a amazing place to live at..........

so what day is cow tipping? Friday or Sat night?
Give it a rest man :facepalm

Thunderfan86
03-08-2016, 08:22 PM
To be honest, he'll stay just to spite the people saying he's leaving.
I'm okay with that :cheers:

Dictator
03-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Rondo
Carmelo
Durant
Porzingus
Robin Lopez

Would be one nasty lineup. Is this even possible?

Dr Seuss
03-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Rondo
Carmelo
Durant
Porzingus
Robin Lopez

not really a fan of rondo on that team. but if you get a good 3nD PG, have a feign triangle being ran, and allow melo to play from the high post, that can be a very good team.

but melo against 2s? ewwww

Dictator
03-08-2016, 08:37 PM
not really a fan of rondo on that team. but if you get a good 3nD PG, have a feign triangle being ran, and allow melo to play from the high post, that can be a very good team.

but melo against 2s? ewwww

I know but Melo ain't coming off the bench...

Even with a weak pg that lineup should make the finals or take the cavaliers to game 7. Would be good for the East also.

Legends66NBA7
03-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Rondo
Carmelo
Durant
Porzingus
Robin Lopez

No. Not possible.

Fudge
03-08-2016, 08:39 PM
LOL

He's staying in OKC. Sorry to break it to you, losers.

Fudge
03-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Rondo
Carmelo
Durant
Porzingus
Robin Lopez

:roll:

imdaman99
03-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Rondo
Carmelo
Durant
Porzingus
Robin Lopez

:lol that sounds like a crazy lineup, only way to make it work is trade Lopez for a capable 3 and D shooting guard and slide KP at Center. Maybe even keep Lopez if he is OK coming off the bench and draft a SG. I dunno if Afflalo is the answer. If Durant comes, than I am ok with Rondo being the PG. Otherwise, I don't want that assist whoring stat padder here.

Dictator
03-08-2016, 08:43 PM
LOL

He's staying in OKC. Sorry to break it to you, losers.

I think he's gonna leave. There's literally a slim to no chance of OKC making it to the finals with the current GSW roster.

GrapeApe
03-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Pat Riley's got this. The Godfather already has the wheels in motion behind the scenes. Yep.

Dragic
Wade
Johnson
Durant
Whiteside

raprap
03-08-2016, 08:51 PM
KD and Bron should collude. :rockon:

AirBonner
03-08-2016, 08:56 PM
KD and Bron should collude. :rockon:
Nope. Boston is getting him and Horford

SAKOTXA
03-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Lol 1 out of every 10 superstars truly care about winning rings. If they had to choose between money and rings, 90 percent of them would choose money. Like they care where ISHiots will rank them on their all time lists when it's all said and done. NBA is a business and a career, in which you have to succeed which equals $$$.

Smoke117
03-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Guess he's leaving then...

L8krH8tr
03-08-2016, 09:21 PM
not a big deal, couldnt get it done. Go somewhere else like Lebrick to get at least 1 or 2 rings doesnt matter with what team just where the stars fit.

smoovegittar
03-08-2016, 10:01 PM
:D