PDA

View Full Version : Just how common is it for 38 year old 6'6 or under players to dunk in NBA games?

CavaliersFTW
03-11-2016, 12:56 AM
Your Vince Carter, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Charles Barkley etc sized players.

First off, it's kind of rare for anyone that size to still be in the league at that age isn't it? For the ones that make it that far how common is it for them to still be decent leapers and willing to go up for dunks? Are guys like Vince and MJ outliers or is it more common than we think?

Dictator
03-11-2016, 01:04 AM
If you're 6'4 or taller dunking isnt that hard. These guys are world class athletes.

CavaliersFTW
03-11-2016, 01:09 AM
If you're 6'4 or taller dunking isnt that hard. These guys are world class athletes.
Alright so how common is it in games?

Gone_Fishin
03-11-2016, 01:27 AM
There's a big difference between dunking in game and being able to dunk.

Rake2204
03-11-2016, 01:31 AM
If you're 6'4 or taller dunking isnt that hard. These guys are world class athletes.Dunking at 6'4'', especially if it's an "in-shoes" 6'4'' with a wingspan that is proportional to your height is a little bit of a mix bag. I'm inbetween 6'3'' and 6'4'' and dunking was something I had to work at. And I knew a lot of players my size who didn't have it in their repertoire.

Granted, as you said, NBA players are world class athletes, but athleticism doesn't always have to mean really impressive hops. Joe Dumars would be one example. Jon Barry another. Both were around the 6'3'', 6'4'' range and neither really had in-game dunks in their arsenal, particularly in their late 30's.

Alright so how common is it in games?It seems the guys who could fly, and those who benefited from favorable measurements (preferably 6'6'' or above) often seemed to hang on to those "still got it" types of moments in their late 30's. The ability to palm the rock like Jordan, Carter, or Julius Erving really helps as well, as a palmed flush requires less clearance and more flexibility for finishing than a non-palmed dunk.

You already mentioned Jordan, Carter, and Bryant. I'd also add Dominique Wilkins, who had some low key nasty flushes when he played for the Spurs in his late 30's. Elsewise, I'd have to think about what other wings played that deep into their careers to begin with.

Edit: My bad, just re-read and noticed you said 6'6'' or under. So Wilkins wouldn't make sense.

From what I've seen, I think 6'6'' is right there on the edge. That's closer to the border of "can generally dunk with relative ease by default" than someone who's 6'4''. Once your hops start to become a little iffy, the ability to palm a basketball becomes really important when it comes to extending your dunk life.

ClipperRevival
03-11-2016, 01:40 AM
Yeah, 6'4" in shoes means you are about 6'2" ish which isn't THAT tall. And if your wing span is average, that is no guarantee one can dunk. You still need to get off the floor a good bit to dunk.

ClipperRevival
03-11-2016, 01:43 AM
And also agree that once you get to 6'6", that is when you should almost expect one to be able to dunk. Those extra inches in height and length make a huge difference.

buddha
03-11-2016, 02:16 AM
MJ and Vince had 1 in a million type athleticism. Vince wasn't fast but his hops were out of this world. MJ had it all. Kobe was just a great athlete.

Cocaine80s
03-11-2016, 02:28 AM
Lol at 6'6 the most you need to jump is like 2 feet to dunk

Psileas
03-11-2016, 08:04 AM
If you're a natural athlete like Vince Carter, Michael Jordan or Johnny Green, it's not a surprise.
The ones who pretend it's not impressive at all, however, have a lot of explanations to give for all the oooohs and aaaaahs that these 3 guys generated (and still generate) when dunking in games at such ages. Especially when they dunk from standstill positions.