PDA

View Full Version : The Wurst Case Scenario: German schools/cafes ban sausages for refugees

Im Still Ballin
03-13-2016, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE]GERMANY BANS SAUSAGES: Pork banned in cafes and schools to 'not offend refugees'

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/german-sausage-650246.jpg

An increasing number of public canteens, child daycare centres and schools have stopped serving sausages, bacon and ham over religious considerations.

Now members of Chancellor Angela Merkel

Patrick Chewing
03-13-2016, 01:35 AM
At this rate, Arabs can take over the world under the blanket of political correctness.

Patrick Chewing
03-13-2016, 01:37 AM
Babyback ribs are so good though. Depends on the places you go and for how long they smoke and cook them. Fall off the bone meat.

Muslims don't know what they're missing. Together we can unify our races and religions at a local Longhorns Steakhouse.

Nick Young
03-13-2016, 01:38 AM
Cuckfest 2016 continues. German males NEUTERED by the more dominant North African/Middle Eastern refugees.
Sausage represents like 80% of Germany's cultural heritage.

The Cuckening is real my friends.

longtime lurker
03-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Right wingers caught lying again.

http://www.snopes.com/germany-bans-pork-under-sharia-law/

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/847/e4a829e2-502a-42d4-898f-f3169442026b-bestSizeAvailable.png

Nick Young
03-13-2016, 01:52 AM
Right wingers caught lying again.

http://www.snopes.com/germany-bans-pork-under-sharia-law/

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/018/847/e4a829e2-502a-42d4-898f-f3169442026b-bestSizeAvailable.png
Snopes?

This is ISH, not Commie Propaganda Land.

Im Still Ballin
03-13-2016, 01:54 AM
Snopes...

Exactly.

Patrick Chewing
03-13-2016, 03:01 AM
The new Star Wars villain??

LJJ
03-13-2016, 06:21 AM
Yeah this is definitely happening.

Just this week my old university removed the monthly student magazine from certain faculties because there was a pair of (completely non-sexualized) breasts on the cover. That's ridiculous, because we are culturally very open about these things. The human body is nothing to be ashamed of and hidden away. Especially in a university where everybody is supposed to be an adult of a certain intellectual capacity.

The worst part is that it's not even Muslims students complaining about it. It's a small number of repressive liberal white professors who did it because they figured Muslims would be uncomfortable with it.

This is all that is wrong multiculturalism at heart. Clearly showing to others that it's okay to be offended and disgusted by our culture, and that we are ashamed of our culture ourselves.

Brunch@Five
03-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Kindergartens and canteens etc are reducing the amount of pork on the menu because there is an increasing number of muslims and/or vegetarians in Germany. Less pork is consumed, so less pork is on the menu. That's capitalism, not multiculturalism or any other leftist ideology.

brownmamba00
03-13-2016, 09:04 AM
most of the refugees aren't even muslim

Im Still Ballin
03-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Kindergartens and canteens etc are reducing the amount of pork on the menu because there is an increasing number of muslims and/or vegetarians in Germany. Less pork is consumed, so less pork is on the menu. That's capitalism, not multiculturalism or any other leftist ideology.
That would be capitalism if were an economic decision, but clearly it isn't. This is 99% politically driven.

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!

Im Still Ballin
03-13-2016, 09:44 AM
About tree fiddy

Brunch@Five
03-13-2016, 11:56 AM
That would be capitalism if were an economic decision, but clearly it isn't. This is 99% politically driven.

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!

how do you conclude that it is politically driven?
It's simply a very rational decision that a product that is only consumed by a fraction of the market is likely to be ditched in favor of other products that are consumed by everyone.

Also, no one has ever forced anyone to remove pork from the menu.

knickballer
03-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Yeah this is definitely happening.

Just this week my old university removed the monthly student magazine from certain faculties because there was a pair of (completely non-sexualized) breasts on the cover. That's ridiculous, because we are culturally very open about these things. The human body is nothing to be ashamed of and hidden away. Especially in a university where everybody is supposed to be an adult of a certain intellectual capacity.

The worst part is that it's not even Muslims students complaining about it. It's a small number of repressive liberal white professors who did it because they figured Muslims would be uncomfortable with it.

This is all that is wrong multiculturalism at heart. Clearly showing to others that it's okay to be offended and disgusted by our culture, and that we are ashamed of our culture ourselves.

This probably makes sense. From my experience many of these students who fight for these campaigns are liberals that come from wealthy families who never experienced any hardships what so ever. As a result, they take it upon themselves to be a crusader for these imaginary social issues that don't exist because they need to find some meaning in their life. They also have some sort of god complex where they view minorities as defenseless people with no voice.

NumberSix
03-13-2016, 12:23 PM
how do you conclude that it is politically driven?
It's simply a very rational decision that a product that is only consumed by a fraction of the market is likely to be ditched in favor of other products that are consumed by everyone.

Also, no one has ever forced anyone to remove pork from the menu.
That fraction of the market being.... Germans?

Yeah, I mean, it's just Germany. Probably not a lot of those around, right?

France gets it right on this. Muslims say they don't want pork served at schools. France says "we're a SECULAR government. We don't take religion into account".

Brunch@Five
03-13-2016, 01:29 PM
That fraction of the market being.... Germans?

Yeah, I mean, it's just Germany. Probably not a lot of those around, right?

France gets it right on this. Muslims say they don't want pork served at schools. France says "we're a SECULAR government. We don't take religion into account".

The only Kindergartens that have outright stopped serving pork are those where a large minority or even majority is muslim, who don't consume pork. There is plenty of non-pork food that everyone likes to eat. "German" kids have nothing to lose here.
It is simply a pragmatic, cost-effective move by institutions that serve food to a large number of people to provide as small a number of options as possible that everyone can/likes to eat. Usually one vegetarian, one with meat. On top of that we have a growing number of children that are lactose-, fructose- or gluten-intolerant. Why bother with pork on top of that? Just serve beef, chicken, lamb and everyone is happy. Kids can have as much Schnitzel and Wurst as they like at home.

LJJ
03-13-2016, 01:56 PM
The only Kindergartens that have outright stopped serving pork are those where a large minority or even majority is muslim, who don't consume pork. There is plenty of non-pork food that everyone likes to eat. "German" kids have nothing to lose here.
It is simply a pragmatic, cost-effective move by institutions that serve food to a large number of people to provide as small a number of options as possible that everyone can/likes to eat. Usually one vegetarian, one with meat. On top of that we have a growing number of children that are lactose-, fructose- or gluten-intolerant. Why bother with pork on top of that? Just serve beef, chicken, lamb and everyone is happy. Kids can have as much Schnitzel and Wurst as they like at home.

So we went from "this is capitalism at work, nobody buys pork anymore."

To "why not serve food every one likes to eat?" (everything halal next, I suppose...)

To "if you like pork you can just eat it at home, no big deal."

Seems like a nice sliding scale you got there.

Brunch@Five
03-13-2016, 02:47 PM
So we went from "this is capitalism at work, nobody buys pork anymore."

To "why not serve food every one likes to eat?" (everything halal next, I suppose...)

To "if you like pork you can just eat it at home, no big deal."

Seems like a nice sliding scale you got there.

yep and if I like rhubarb I can eat that at home as well. It's about Kindergartens that have to serve 50-150 children daily in a cost-effective manner, so that each kid gets its nutrients and doesn't spew it out. If for whatever reason 20% or more don't like to eat some kind of food, it is cost-effective not to serve it. Period. You wanna know why I brought up capitalism (or rather, consumerism)? Because it is not individualist. Fashion industry, food industry: they all produce whatever they can sell the most, at the highest price and the least cost possible. Capitalism is mass production for mass consumption. Its economies of scale. Even if pork costs the same as chicken, it's still more expensive to serve 10 chicken and 10 pork instead of serving 20 chicken. In the cases of low-budget food catering: it's supply of the lowest common denominator. You want to have more food diversity and guarantee pork every day? Give kindergartens and schools more money to serve more types of food.
Anyways, I don't get why pork is being put on such a pedestal. It's just food. There is no ban. Everyone can still eat it. I can still make by daughter a schwarzbrot with leberwurst sandwich to take to school. If she gets a decent meal that she likes to eat for lunch I'm more than happy. There is plenty German non-pork meals to appease to nationalists. It's not like everyone has to eat Falafel and D

Overdrive
03-13-2016, 02:58 PM
"Schnitzl mit Tunke" isn't really german food either and the notion that it's easier to serve only chicken is great, but where I'd draw the line is that it has to by Halal to appease to foreign slaughtering procedures as strict shechita is not allowed over here.

I also don't get the problem from an economical pov to serve traditional german pork foods once a week with a vegetarian alternative for the non pork eaters.

3 years ago I was at an industrial complex and there were plenty of muslims. Most didn't give a shit about food aslong as it was not pork, but some were pretty strict and denied food in the cantina if non Halal food was served the same day. That's a bit too far imo.

Another thing was a guy asking if a certain kind of cheese on a baguette was made of pig milk. I laughed my ass off..

LJJ
03-13-2016, 03:44 PM
yep and if I like rhubarb I can eat that at home as well. It's about Kindergartens that have to serve 50-150 children daily in a cost-effective manner, so that each kid gets its nutrients and doesn't spew it out. If for whatever reason 20% or more don't like to eat some kind of food, it is cost-effective not to serve it. Period. You wanna know why I brought up capitalism (or rather, consumerism)? Because it is not individualist. Fashion industry, food industry: they all produce whatever they can sell the most, at the highest price and the least cost possible. Capitalism is mass production for mass consumption. Its economies of scale. Even if pork costs the same as chicken, it's still more expensive to serve 10 chicken and 10 pork instead of serving 20 chicken. In the cases of low-budget food catering: it's supply of the lowest common denominator. You want to have more food diversity and guarantee pork every day? Give kindergartens and schools more money to serve more types of food.

Is life in Germany really that bad that kids eat ultra budget effective foods at school? Every kid gets like ravioli and one apple drink? I thought this was mostly an American ghetto thing. I've never seen that here and I'm sure Germany is not that much worse. We are talking about cafeterias serving different meals, not about forcing anyone to eat pork.

I don't think the situation you describe actually exists.

[QUOTE]
Anyways, I don't get why pork is being put on such a pedestal. It's just food. There is no ban. Everyone can still eat it. I can still make by daughter a schwarzbrot with leberwurst sandwich to take to school. If she gets a decent meal that she likes to eat for lunch I'm more than happy. There is plenty German non-pork meals to appease to nationalists. It's not like everyone has to eat Falafel and D

NumberSix
03-13-2016, 03:53 PM
What about the Hindu kids?

It's germany. If you don't like their culture, don't go.

Hawker
03-13-2016, 04:02 PM
What about the Hindu kids?

It's germany. If you don't like their culture, don't go.

What I don't get is why hindus in america just simply ignore it and move on with their lives. They DGAF. Why can't everyone just do the same?

Brunch@Five
03-14-2016, 02:57 AM
Is life in Germany really that bad that kids eat ultra budget effective foods at school? Every kid gets like ravioli and one apple drink? I thought this was mostly an American ghetto thing. I've never seen that here and I'm sure Germany is not that much worse. We are talking about cafeterias serving different meals, not about forcing anyone to eat pork.

I don't think the situation you describe actually exists.

My daughter went to two different kindergartens, one public and one private, and neither served more than two different meals per day. One vegetarian, one with meat. They're usually wholesome/healthy, but cheap. And anything else would be ridiculous, because they're kids who don't really care what they eat as long as it is simple and tasty. It gets better and more diverse in schools, but not much different. At my former high school they serve three different meals, one vegetarian. And yes, especially public facilities have low budgets. Of course it is not impossible to serve pork, which is why 99% of all kindergartens still do so :rolleyes:

Who is putting pork on a pedestal? I think people are talking about the complete opposite of that. Pork is normal food. It's not dirty, it's not unclean, it's not taboo. If you don't want to eat it, eat something else. But you should be okay with pork being served and being on the menu and with other people eating it.

People like the CDU politician who said that eating pork was an essential part of German culture and kids must be exposed to it in kindergarten is putting pork on a pedestal. And everyone else who puts all this in a context of clashing cultures. I haven't heard or read a single credible source which says that an institution stopped serving pork because it's dirty or due to pressure from muslim. That is simply not happening.

NumberSix
03-14-2016, 07:12 AM
My daughter went to two different kindergartens, one public and one private, and neither served more than two different meals per day. One vegetarian, one with meat. They're usually wholesome/healthy, but cheap. And anything else would be ridiculous, because they're kids who don't really care what they eat as long as it is simple and tasty. It gets better and more diverse in schools, but not much different. At my former high school they serve three different meals, one vegetarian. And yes, especially public facilities have low budgets. Of course it is not impossible to serve pork, which is why 99% of all kindergartens still do so :rolleyes:

People like the CDU politician who said that eating pork was an essential part of German culture and kids must be exposed to it in kindergarten is putting pork on a pedestal. And everyone else who puts all this in a context of clashing cultures. I haven't heard or read a single credible source which says that an institution stopped serving pork because it's dirty or due to pressure from muslim. That is simply not happening.
Why did they suddenly decide to stop serving pork then? Is the timing just a coincidence?

LJJ
03-14-2016, 07:15 AM

Well the attitude is the same as yours. "Some kids don't like pork. Some kids are uncomfortable with it being served and prepared along other food, so why not just serve chicken or beef?".

That doesn't mean there is an "official public ban", but for sure there are schools where they don't serve pork and I really don't think capitalism is the only factor. For sure there are inner city schools not serving pork not only because a group of students doesn't want to eat it (and you really don't need to shoehorn vegetarians in as if that's relevant), but because they are uncomfortable with pork in any capacity. That's taken into account.

It's the exact same as what happened at my university last week. Remove a magazine with an image of breasts because the Muslim students are coming. These things happen, it's the multicultural approach. It's the complete wrong approach to integration.

Brunch@Five
03-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Well the attitude is the same as yours. "Some kids don't like pork. Some kids are uncomfortable with it being served and prepared along other food, so why not just serve chicken or beef?".

That doesn't mean there is an "official public ban", but for sure there are schools where they don't serve pork and I really don't think capitalism is the only factor. For sure there are inner city schools not serving pork not only because a group of students doesn't want to eat it (and you really don't need to shoehorn vegetarians in as if that's relevant), but because they are uncomfortable with pork in any capacity. That's taken into account.

It's the exact same as what happened at my university last week. Remove a magazine with an image of breasts because the Muslim students are coming. These things happen, it's the multicultural approach. It's the complete wrong approach to integration.

schools and kindergartens decide on their own what they serve. They usually have the capacity to serve 2 or at most 3 different meals. It would be non-sensical to regularly include a meal that a large minority or even majority of children will not eat. It is common economic sense. Advocates of capitalism always say that it's blind towards matters of race or religion. It just offers what is most likely to be bought. Which is why it doesn't matter to capitalist logic whether pork is a national-cultural treasure or not. There is no benefit in selling pork instead of chicken. Is "pork" unfairly discriminated against? Yes. Does capitalism care? No. Just as much as it cares that fat people cannot buy clothes at Hollister. They just have to deal with it.

There hasn't been a single reported case of where there is no pork served because someone is uncomfortable with it. Even if there is a muslim majority, radical muslims are still by far a small minority, if they send their kids to public kindergartens at all. Don't pretend there is some kind of precautionary political correctness in kindergartens like their is at some universities because there isn't.

LJJ
03-14-2016, 08:47 AM
schools and kindergartens decide on their own what they serve. They usually have the capacity to serve 2 or at most 3 different meals. It would be non-sensical to regularly include a meal that a large minority or even majority of children will not eat. It is common economic sense. Advocates of capitalism always say that it's blind towards matters of race or religion. It just offers what is most likely to be bought. Which is why it doesn't matter to capitalist logic whether pork is a national-cultural treasure or not. There is no benefit in selling pork instead of chicken. Is "pork" unfairly discriminated against? Yes. Does capitalism care? No. Just as much as it cares that fat people cannot buy clothes at Hollister. They just have to deal with it.

There hasn't been a single reported case of where there is no pork served because someone is uncomfortable with it. Even if there is a muslim majority, radical muslims are still by far a small minority, if they send their kids to public kindergartens at all. Don't pretend there is some kind of precautionary political correctness in kindergartens like their is at some universities because there isn't.

Where does this come from where school cafeterias only choose food based on capitalism? The absolute cheapest, most economically viable ingredients Like we are living in the deepest black neighbourhoods in America?

Even when I was little there were tons of campaigns for serving healthy snacks at school. This is school, not prison. Food is not selected strictly and served based on costs.

No reports? A leading politician in your country is reporting that it happens.

Brunch@Five
03-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Where does this come from where school cafeterias only choose food based on capitalism? The absolute cheapest, most economically viable ingredients Like we are living in the deepest black neighbourhoods in America?

Even when I was little there were tons of campaigns for serving healthy snacks at school. This is school, not prison. Food is not selected strictly and served based on costs.

do you honestly argue that capitalist logic is not the background on which economic decisions are made in Germany? Every other factor being equal, an economic actor will buy whatever costs less. Especially the public education system is under pressure to reduce costs. There of course are prescriptions on food being healthy, organic or a regional product and it's not like the cheapest meals possible are served at all times. Still, this has nothing to do with whether kindergartens can afford to throw money away serving food a good part of children will not eat, or drive costs higher due to economies of scale.

No reports? A leading politician in your country is reporting that it happens.

this guy is nowhere near being a leading politician. Also, since when does "a leading politician is reporting" amount to truth being told? This guy as both an ideological (being a rightwing conservative) and political agenda (the state he's active in is a big producer of pork and other agricultural products). But he is reporting it, so it is happening :bowdown:

LJJ
03-14-2016, 09:42 AM
do you honestly argue that capitalist logic is not the background on which economic decisions are made in Germany? Every other factor being equal, an economic actor will buy whatever costs less. Especially the public education system is under pressure to reduce costs. There of course are prescriptions on food being healthy, organic or a regional product and it's not like the cheapest meals possible are served at all times. Still, this has nothing to do with whether kindergartens can afford to throw money away serving food a good part of children will not eat, or drive costs higher due to economies of scale.

For school lunch? I would absolutely argue they don't select their food exclusively on the basis of costs. You constantly change your wording as you see fit but you make no sense and you are completely inconsistent.

Just a few posts ago you said schools choose their own lunches and it's just on the individual to choose. There are a hundred thousand schools in Germany...I'm pretty sure the majority of them take multiple factors into account for the lunch menu. You are a fool if you think there is not a single person in Germany in charge of setting lunch menus who takes culture into account.

It's more common than you think. You think the school where kids get bullied to tears for bringing a ham sandwich from home is serving ham alongside chicken? No way. You think that's a choice of strictly economy and no other factors matter? You are being silly.

this guy is nowhere near being a leading politician. Also, since when does "a leading politician is reporting" amount to truth being told? This guy as both an ideological (being a rightwing conservative) and political agenda (the state he's active in is a big producer of pork and other agricultural products). But he is reporting it, so it is happening :bowdown:

Why not both? He's probably saying that because he has an agenda and because there is truth to it. Politicians spin more than they lie.

JohnnySic
03-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Why is it that its always Muslims that get offended?

Christian holidays offend them. Now, pork offends them. :rolleyes:

And the pc crowd bends over backwards to placate them.

Does any other religious group get this privilege?

Im Still Ballin
03-14-2016, 10:00 AM
the way I see religious practices in a secular society

You have the right to practice said religion

But that right does not come above national security

The facts are in

Islam has a lot of problems

The intense scrutiny upon said religion is warranted, just as an association with a criminal activity/organization would bring

You call it islamaphobic

I call it counter-terrorism strategic national security measures

It might be harsh, but your religious preference does not come about the safety of others

Things like national security, counter-terrorism, military, policing... They're not perfect worlds. Identity politics have no place in them. These are matters of strategy and playing the percentages.

Brunch@Five
03-14-2016, 10:38 AM
first, one question: do you agree that the costs of providing any given food (per unit) decreases with the amount of units being sold? Do you agree that costs of logistics increase with every product that you put in the market? Do you agree that from this concludes that it's economically rational to provide only as many different products as are needed to fulfill demand?

just to make sure that we're on the same page in terms of economic principles.

For school lunch? I would absolutely argue they don't select their food exclusively on the basis of costs. You constantly change your wording as you see fit but you make no sense and you are completely inconsistent.

Just a few posts ago you said schools choose their own lunches and it's just on the individual to choose. There are a hundred thousand schools in Germany...I'm pretty sure the majority of them take multiple factors into account for the lunch menu. You are a fool if you think there is not a single person in Germany in charge of setting lunch menus who takes culture into account.

It's more common than you think. You think the school where kids get bullied to tears for bringing a ham sandwich from home is serving ham alongside chicken? No way. You think that's a choice of strictly economy and no other factors matter? You are being silly.

at no point did I say that they select food solely based on costs. It's supposed to be healthy, there is sometimes a quota for regional and organic food, you've got the lactose-and gluten-intolerant, the vegetarians, the non-pork eaters etc. But in 99.9% of all cases the person responsible for the menu isn't thinking "I've got to include Wurst and Schnitzel so the kids become real Germans". The person is thinking "I want to get healthy good-quality food that kids like to eat and at the same time reduce costs as much and throw as little food away as possible."
Whenever there are budget-constraints, as there undoubtedly are even in the German education system, persons in charge will make economically pragmatic decisions and reduce the amount of pork on the menu. There is no pragmatic reason for anyone (who is not engaging in culture wars) to insist on having pork on the menu, given the amount of alternatives, even as an educational measure. Is pork cheaper? No. Is it healthier? No. Are the ethics of production better? No. No one stands to lose anything judging by the standards of cost-effectiveness, health and inclusiveness.

Why not both? He's probably saying that because he has an agenda and because there is truth to it. Politicians spin more than they lie.

the guy hasn't even given anecdotal evidence of a single school/kindergarten where the alleged practice of removing pork from menus in response to oversensitive muslims is taking place. Why are you arguing about it as if it is a fact? There is no ban. There is no decree from above. There are neither oversensitive muslims nor leftist eco-fascists petitioning for a ban. The only thing that is happening is pragmatic decisions being made by persons being in charge of setting the menu in kindergartens response to a growing number of people that don't (like to) eat pork.

Im Still Ballin
03-14-2016, 10:48 AM
what measures do you have in mind?
https://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/Media-and-publications/Publications/Documents/Australias-Counter-Terrorism-Strategy-2015.pdf

DonD13
03-14-2016, 11:03 AM
https://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/Media-and-publications/Publications/Documents/Australias-Counter-Terrorism-Strategy-2015.pdf

so who's calling them "islamaphobic"??

Im Still Ballin
03-14-2016, 11:12 AM
do peoples of Islamic faith and Labor supporters protest against these "Islamaphobic" strategies?
Yes

Im Still Ballin
03-14-2016, 11:16 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australian-border-force-to-patrol-melbourne-cbd-as-part-of-antisocial-behaviour-operation-20150828-gj9qtd.html

Bu bu bu racism doe

lmao

Im Still Ballin
03-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Look up champ

LJJ
03-14-2016, 12:34 PM
at no point did I say that they select food solely based on costs. It's supposed to be healthy, there is sometimes a quota for regional and organic food, you've got the lactose-and gluten-intolerant, the vegetarians, the non-pork eaters etc. But in 99.9% of all cases the person responsible for the menu isn't thinking "I've got to include Wurst and Schnitzel so the kids become real Germans". The person is thinking "I want to get healthy good-quality food that kids like to eat and at the same time reduce costs as much and throw as little food away as possible."

For sure they aren't thinking that, but they might be thinking the opposite. There certainly are cafeterias out there sensitive to the fact many Muslims don't want any pork at all to be prepared and served there. And that's the primary reason for excluding it. Not any made up fable of capitalistic outcomes.

You can't tell me kids in German cafeterias actually wouldn't enjoy a currywurst now and then.

Whenever there are budget-constraints, as there undoubtedly are even in the German education system, persons in charge will make economically pragmatic decisions and reduce the amount of pork on the menu. There is no pragmatic reason for anyone (who is not engaging in culture wars) to insist on having pork on the menu, given the amount of alternatives, even as an educational measure. Is pork cheaper? No. Is it healthier? No. Are the ethics of production better? No. No one stands to lose anything judging by the standards of cost-effectiveness, health and inclusiveness.

Of course you want to keep the variety as high as you can. You want to expose children to a varied regular diet. Serving beef, lamb, chicken, pork and fish, the more variety the better.

You also just want to teach children to enjoy a variety of foods and develop a mature palette. You don't do that by excluding foods that are considered a staple in German cuisine.

Pork in many ways is healthier than beef or chicken or other meats. In other ways it's also less healthy. This is why you promote balance. Chicken is higher in cholesterol, beef is higher in saturated fats.

Brunch@Five
03-14-2016, 01:36 PM
For sure they aren't thinking that, but they might be thinking the opposite. There certainly are cafeterias out there sensitive to the fact many Muslims don't want any pork at all to be prepared and served there. And that's the primary reason for excluding it. Not any made up fable of capitalistic outcomes.

You can't tell me kids in German cafeterias actually wouldn't enjoy a currywurst now and then.

I know they would and in most German cafeterias or in the close vicinity of schools you do get pork regularly. But I have never ever heard about school cafeterias not preparing and serving food because muslims don't like it. That's a "made up fable" on your part; in contrast to my argument which is based on economic common sense...

Of course you want to keep the variety as high as you can. You want to expose children to a varied regular diet. Serving beef, lamb, chicken, pork and fish, the more variety the better.

You also just want to teach children to enjoy a variety of foods and develop a mature palette. You don't do that by excluding foods that are considered a staple in German cuisine.

Pork in many ways is healthier than beef or chicken or other meats. In other ways it's also less healthy. This is why you promote balance. Chicken is higher in cholesterol, beef is higher in saturated fats.

Maybe in the heat I put my argument forward too polarizing. I'm not saying there shouldn't be pork on the menu. I was just explaining why some persons in charge did make that decision, and IMO it has far more to do with economics than it has with ideology. Ideally kids would get all different kinds of meat and vegetables (including asparragus, fennel, eggplant, cauliflower etc) nowadays that kids don't have lunch at home anymore. They should be exposed to a great variety; we aren't living in utopia however. Variety is lacking in ways that go way past the question of whether there is pork or not. You get pork hat fast food places and restaurants ubiquitously. But there are kids that don't know what fennel or cauliflower looks like. So if you want to talk about variety, you don't need to make this a question of religion, culture and refugees. That's what I meant by "putting pork on a pedestal". It's not like we have a perfect large scale cafeteria system in Germany. Most schools only started serving lunch a few years ago. I know because I graduated from high school in 2007 and all you could get for lunch was sandwiches and Pizza.

In terms of nutritional science and culinary education it is per definition a good thing to expose kids to a great variety of food. But you know as well as I do that there are limits, especially in public facilities that have to serve large numbers of children. Which is why I said earlier that in cafeterias you often get the "lowest common denominator". Especially in kindergarten, which are understaffed most of the time and only rarely actually have an in-house cook/kitchen, they don't have the capacities for good food education. Actually that's a topic that concerns me a lot because I do have kids myself and I'm pretty sure that they will never get as good a variety of meals which I got because my mom stayed home and cooked lunch every day for her three kids. Anyhow this is a problem which goes way beyond the amount of pork that is served.
Ideally there would never be a case of a kindergarten not serving a certain type of food anymore, but under the current circumstances and economic pressures it is simply a pragmatic decision to reduce the amount of meals containing pork. Which, frankly, is all that has happened except for a few isolated cases. Again, I have not heard or read anything about pressure by muslims or other interest groups, nor have you (or the CDU politician) provided any evidence that this is happening anywhere in Germany.

edit: it boils down to this: it is true that one of two main reasons for less pork being served in cafeterias is the increasing number of practicing muslims (the other one being the proliferation of vegetarianism and ethical concerns towards meat production/consumption). Your argument is that this is unnecessary and irrational and the consequence of liberal over-sensitivity and muslims bullying Germans and taking their culture away. My argument is that the changing makeup of the German populace, and consequently changing demand composition, will inevitably lead to a change in supply composition due to capitalist dynamics (mass production, economies of scale). I do think that my argument is more elaborate and that yours is nationalist-chauvinistic fear-mongering. If you can provide actual and credible reports that support your version of the story, please go ahead. I don't know if you understand German or if google translate will be of help, but this article (http://www.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-main/um-die-wuerstchen-kommentar-zu-schweinefleisch-in-kindergaerten-14061585.html) from a conservative newspaper my version.

ISHGoat
03-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Lmao German master race citizens getting bent over backwards for goat****ers stuck living in the first millennium.