PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook is not a point guard myth has to stop

You Cant Ban Me
03-18-2016, 08:38 AM
I just read this in another thread and it needs it own thread.

Play him at SG and stop pretending he's a PG or a playmaker. Same goes for Westbrook. These players don't have the discipline or IQ to run late-game offense, so stop asking them to.

Steph Curry is the NBA MVP and the Warriors don't hesitate to shift him to SG at the end of the game. At the end of the game you need a PG who will value possession of the ball over everything else.
He averages like 10 assist a game and takes his team to the playoffs basically every single year.He averages 10 assist but these "pure" point guards with high iqs never sniff 10 apg.Stop with the westbrook hate you dont average 10 assist with luck you have to be a good passer.

masonanddixon
03-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Point guard is the most overrated position in the modern NBA anyways. You need a guy who gets to the basket and gets people in foul trouble, and thats what he does.

JohnMax
03-18-2016, 08:41 AM
When the game is wide open he's a fantastic playmaker. When the game slows down, turns into a half-court game, against elite defenses... he struggles to create offense for his teammates or himself. In these situations you need the offense to generate shots, and in order to do that, you need a PG who can actually run a half-court offense.

Mass Debator
03-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Overrated assist numbers IMO. Just like John Wall. They're stuck in the mentality of "I'm going to pass now" or "I'm going to score now". The ball movement and managing of the game/pace is lacking. They pass to make an assist instead of passing to open up the game for others.

That being said, Westbrook and Wall are still best at PG because of their ability to score in transition and inability to knock down jump shots consistently. If they can learn a great pump fake and off screen mid-range J, they an be like a Wade SG.

They're both great play makers but not floor generals like what I've seen from Stockton, Kidd, Magic, etc. There's more than 1 way to win at PG however so no knock on them.

miggyme1
03-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Overrated assist numbers IMO. Just like John Wall. They're stuck in the mentality of "I'm going to pass now" or "I'm going to score now". The ball movement and managing of the game/pace is lacking. They pass to make an assist instead of passing to open up the game for others.

That being said, Westbrook and Wall are still best at PG because of their ability to score in transition and inability to knock down jump shots consistently. If they can learn a great pump fake and off screen mid-range J, they an be like a Wade SG.

They're both great play makers but not floor generals like what I've seen from Stockton, Kidd, Magic, etc. There's more than 1 way to win at PG however so no knock on them.

Yea you don't watch wizards games or you are a clown. How dare you compare the best pure point guard in the league behind cp3 to westbrook. I suggest you go watch some clips....wall was a passer before he become a scorer and IMO he isn't that great of a scorer. Just fast as light and can finish at the rim.....jumper still suspect

Zach LaVine
03-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Point guard is the most overrated position in the modern NBA anyways. You need a guy who gets to the basket and gets people in foul trouble, and thats what he does.
Tell that to Steph Curry.

livingby3's
03-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Good passing is an attribute, and high assist numbers are just representations. They do not equate a good point guard.
A good point guard dictates the flow and tempo of the game imo.
Like I don't see Rondo, who's known for his insane passes and high assist numbers a good point guard. He passes too much for my liking. They should be in control of the game speed, read the defense, know when to pass it, when to shoot it. Steve Nash for instant is great at it.

However that position is now dead along with the PF positions being utilized as a three point weapon now.

Mass Debator
03-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Yea you don't watch wizards games or you are a clown. How dare you compare the best pure point guard in the league behind cp3 to westbrook. I suggest you go watch some clips....wall was passer before he become a scorer and IMO he isn't that great of a scorer. Just fast as light and can finish at the rim.....jumper still suspect
I watch the Wiz on an almost daily basis as a fantasy player. His PNR game with Gortat is pretty good, but too many cross court flings to 3-point shooters. Ball movement is lacking. 1 pass kind of game. When he passes, he just stands around more often than not. A lot of his assists come in transition. Washington is one of the fastest paced teams too. Not a pure point but a very good point guard.

Genaro
03-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Westbrook gets a lot of undeserving critics. People always beat him up for ast, TO and FG%. He improved at his playmaking and is selecting better his shots, people who criticize him for this are not watching OKC this year. It's not just ast numbers, he is in fact involving everyone offensively.
He still turn the ball over a lot but so does Harden, Lebron, KD, Curry, Lillard, Cousins, Wall and PG, meaning almost anyone who is a star and stays with the ball in his hands.

Westbrook is having a great season. The only real bash that I had with him is crunch time play. Just stop comparing him to CP3. The man is a monster in AST/TO ratio, the best playmaker in the league, but that doesn't mean Westbrook can't be better playing other way. Pass first PG's are a dying breed.

andgar923
03-18-2016, 12:08 PM
He may very well be a point guard.

But a dumb one.

He has one of the lowest IQs I've ever seen.

You Cant Ban Me
03-18-2016, 12:34 PM

If you're that good where you can do whatever you want instead of relying on what the defense gives you...i think i would rather have that play as my pg the guy who is so talented that he can decide before hand im going to score instead of robot pg who thinks "if they do this ill go here if they do that ill pass here"

but hey there is no set formula to win so nothing wrong with us liking different types of pg

Showtime80'
03-18-2016, 12:54 PM
That's where you're wrong YouCan'tBanMe.

That 'I'll take on the whole world alone" is a great mentality to have if you're a great scoring guard, forward or center but NOT if you're a true PG. Remember the point guard position is suppose to be the extension of the coach on the floor, the most cerebral player sort of speak and has to be in tune to what the defense is giving him otherwise you end up forcing a lot of the action and stagnating the offense like Westbrick has done on numerous occasions.

He's a "last option passer" in the "great" school of new age PG's like Steve Francis, Marbury and Baron Davis which I hated. He's going to get his teammates a lot of open 18 to 20 footers because of defense collapsing on him after a foray to the basket but count how many layups and dunks his setting up guys for in the fast break or half court set??

NO TEAM will win the title with Russell Westbrick as their starting PG! You can frame this comment if you want

miggyme1
03-18-2016, 01:02 PM

That 'I'll take on the whole world alone" is a great mentality to have if you're a great scoring guard, forward or center but NOT if you're a true PG. Remember the point guard position is suppose to be the extension of the coach on the floor, the most cerebral player sort of speak and has to be in tune to what the defense is giving him otherwise you end up forcing a lot of the action and stagnating the offense like Westbrick has done on numerous occasions.

He's a "last option passer" in the "great" school of new age PG's like Steve Francis, Marbury and Baron Davis which I hated. He's going to get his teammates a lot of open 18 to 20 footers because of defense collapsing on him after a foray to the basket but count how many layups and dunks his setting up guys for in the fast break or half court set??

NO TEAM will win the title with Russell Westbrick as their starting PG! You can frame this comment if you want

that's a little harsh.

You Cant Ban Me
03-18-2016, 01:08 PM

Jason Kidd (when he was the main ball handler),cp3, and stockton never won anything.Westbrook drives to score (which is what you're suppose to do)Stockton drives to pass

But like i said before there is no formula to win and if you know it then you should be a millionaire now....

Showtime80'
03-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Cousy, Magic and Isiah won 13 titles between then and Stockton lost to Michael Jordan two times in the Finals and they were all pass first-quarterback style passers.

Jason Kidd took a mediocre Nets teams to tow straight Finals loosing to Shaq-Kobe and Duncan. Steve Nash would've probably won a couple if the Spurs didn't stand in their way as well.

Count how many teams have had success having a score first low IQ PG like Westbrick?!?

I'm not saying there's formula that's set in stone, but history tells you that teams will be more successful with a classic style PG instead of this new age small SG's masquerading as PG's nonsense.

90sgoat
03-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Jason Kidd (when he was the main ball handler),cp3, and stockton never won anything.Westbrook drives to score (which is what you're suppose to do)Stockton drives to pass

But like i said before there is no formula to win and if you know it then you should be a millionaire now....

You must be kidding me. Jason Kidd was statistically the most important player on that Mavs team. The advanced stats back it up and there's plenty of articles written to that point.

Kidd even made Melo look like a potential MVP in Knicks.

Stockton would have had two rings if not for the GOAT MJ.

'Drive to score' vs 'Drive to pass', what are you on about, you do what the defense gives you. The defense lags off, you pick and pop, the defense doubles Malone, you drive, the defense doubles you, then you pass.

This kind of decision making is absent in 90% of so called point guards today.

And that's not even discussing getting teammates involved by getting them the ball in THEIR best spots, at the correct time.

Mass Debator
03-18-2016, 02:17 PM
If you're that good where you can do whatever you want instead of relying on what the defense gives you...i think i would rather have that play as my pg the guy who is so talented that he can decide before hand im going to score instead of robot pg who thinks "if they do this ill go here if they do that ill pass here"

but hey there is no set formula to win so nothing wrong with us liking different types of pg
Until the closing minutes of a game where the defense is going to shut one option down and make you beat them with the other. You become predictable and easier to contain. This style of passing will get you assists the first 3 quarters, but in the 4th when the pressure is on, you're trusting your players to be clutch shooters. The opportunities will be slim.

Chadwin
03-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Does the NBA site have the data on the distances his assists are shot at?

You Cant Ban Me
03-18-2016, 02:37 PM
You must be kidding me. Jason Kidd was statistically the most important player on that Mavs team. The advanced stats back it up and there's plenty of articles written to that point.

Kidd even made Melo look like a potential MVP in Knicks.

Stockton would have had two rings if not for the GOAT MJ.

'Drive to score' vs 'Drive to pass', what are you on about, you do what the defense gives you. The defense lags off, you pick and pop, the defense doubles Malone, you drive, the defense doubles you, then you pass.

This kind of decision making is absent in 90% of so called point guards today.

And that's not even discussing getting teammates involved by getting them the ball in THEIR best spots, at the correct time.
Thats the thing westbrook is good enough that he doesnt have to take what the defense gives him he takes what he wants.He just doesnt have the depth on his team other great players who think like him(kobe jordan ect ect) had or the coaching.

Give 2016 westbrook the 2012 thunder and he wins a ring easy