PDA

View Full Version : Has Rajon Rondo seen better days?

TAZORAC
03-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Is Rondo just as good as he was during his Boston years? Did the injury make him decline, or was it the fact he played on a better team and looked better then what he actually was?

Pushxx
03-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Is Rondo just as good as he was during his Boston years? Did the injury make him decline, or was it the fact he played on a better team and looked better then what he actually was?

No.

miggyme1
03-18-2016, 01:11 PM
yea he is but he just isn't on a good of a team as those Celtics teams

Akrazotile
03-18-2016, 01:11 PM
He's been the star of many plays

keep-itreal
03-18-2016, 01:14 PM
one of the most overrated players on ISH.

Would be irrelevant if it wasn't for the Big 3

Im Still Ballin
03-18-2016, 01:15 PM
It's his defense that lets him down at the moment

He's still shredding as a floor general, and he is a suprisingly good offensive threat on the odd occasion. They didn't talk about Playoff Rondo for nuffin. He's thrown down some pretty sick dunks this year, and he's such a crafty scorer when it's necessary. It's a shame the Kings players have folded, but he looked good when the team was competitive.

The problem with his defense is, he seems to always allow PG's to gain penetration so easily, mostly on ball screens. He reluctantly if ever tries to stay infront of his man, and just tries to funnel the man to the big defender. You just can't allow PGs to get penetration so easily like that. If you could hide him on defense, that would be ideal. Still a great pick pocket for steals.

He's still a valuable piece. Just don't do a Mavs and not give him the ball. Just give him the rock and he'll make the offense work.

$LakerGold
03-18-2016, 01:17 PM
People tend to think too much & exaggerate when it comes to Rondo. The IQ is there offensively--just physically declining. He's a great fit for the Kings, stole him. His current stat line is a huge plus, better than expected, though he fell off a bit defensively.

Edit: Lol, yeah, what Ballin said.

Im Still Ballin
03-18-2016, 01:18 PM
He's still physically pulling stuff off like this every now and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hps3Y1IdeLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tQlYAUQBF4

Im Still Ballin
03-18-2016, 01:23 PM
The way I see him... He's an elite glue guy, meaning he brings talent together and makes it work

Many people call him a star over the years, but I've never truly seen it. Not in the sense of a number one offensive option. He's purely, a floor general glue guy that brings guys together and makes it happen

That being said, he's not a superstar, BUT he can have a bigger impact than a lot of 1st option offensive threats in the league because that ability to bring talents together, is priceless

Put him on a team full of talented players, and he thrives. Put him on an average team, and he'll make it a lot easier for some of those guys.

Im Still Ballin
03-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Utah should try and get him

Exum won't be starter ready for sometime

SouBeachTalents
03-18-2016, 01:26 PM
He's been the star of many plays

And the bottom drops out

Real Men Wear Green
03-18-2016, 01:31 PM
He doesn't have the ability to pressure and rip ballhandlers that he did when he was younger. It would be interesting to see how he would defend on a team with a strong defensive focus but what I've seen from him in Sacramento is a guy that gambles for steals and if he doesn't get the steal he won't have much if any impact defensively. Otherwise he's as good as ever. Still can get triple-doubles at will.

AirFederer
03-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Haven`t we all?

Im Still Ballin
03-18-2016, 01:42 PM
He was orchestrating a Sacramento offense that was really high powered early in the season

Advanced Metrics had our offense around 10th, and this was with a really bad defense, so you can imagine the lack of defensive stop, leading to more inbounds after opposition scoring to half court offense. However our team eFG% was like top 5... Rondo can definitely still run an offense at a high level.

He's also become proficient at hitting corner threes

Gileraracer
03-18-2016, 02:47 PM
He decided to become an absolute cancer and a coach killer

Ranked 12th
03-18-2016, 02:53 PM

So he turned into Kobe?

$LakerGold
03-18-2016, 02:57 PM
On a team that didn't utilize him properly -- as you see, the majority of the blame goes to Carlisle & the Mavs.

HurricaneKid
03-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Took last year's #16 offense and brought them all the way up to #16 this year.

His gaudy assist totals are a measure of his selfishness. You saw how real coaches felt about him last year. He has been on teams with 3 HoFers and has been in the league for 10 years; he has NEVER led ANY of his teams to a top 10 offense. And his defense is now subpar.

My team needs a PG. And if we signed him this offseason I would be irate. He has ALWAYS been a bigger name than talent, but now that has gotten out of hand.

miggyme1
03-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Took last year's #16 offense and brought them all the way up to #16 this year.

His gaudy assist totals are a measure of his selfishness. You saw how real coaches felt about him last year. He has been on teams with 3 HoFers and has been in the league for 10 years; he has NEVER led ANY of his teams to a top 10 offense. And his defense is now subpar.

My team needs a PG. And if we signed him this offseason I would be irate. He has ALWAYS been a bigger name than talent, but now that has gotten out of hand.

I didn't know one player can make a team a top 10 offense. Look at all the teams he was on after he left...have they achieved a top 10 offense in his absence???

IF rondo could score every team he was on would be a top 10 offense....lets not kid around. Rondo lacks the offense most starting pgs have these days. He still has one of the highest IQs in the game today and if you disagree with that...................you don't know shit about basketball

PP34Deuce
03-18-2016, 03:34 PM
He doesn't have the ability to pressure and rip ballhandlers that he did when he was younger. It would be interesting to see how he would defend on a team with a strong defensive focus but what I've seen from him in Sacramento is a guy that gambles for steals and if he doesn't get the steal he won't have much if any impact defensively. Otherwise he's as good as ever. Still can get triple-doubles at will.

I noticed he gambles but he always had the luxury in Boston to gamble because he funneled guys toward KG.

I saw some Kings games and other than slight decline in lateral ability, he's still fast in the open court and strong in the post.

Akrazotile
03-18-2016, 03:43 PM
So he turned into Kobe?

Jesus. :eek:

Someone put this in the slays thread, ASAP.

HurricaneKid
03-18-2016, 04:08 PM
I didn't know one player can make a team a top 10 offense. Look at all the teams he was on after he left...have they achieved a top 10 offense in his absence???

IF rondo could score every team he was on would be a top 10 offense....lets not kid around. Rondo lacks the offense most starting pgs have these days. He still has one of the highest IQs in the game today and if you disagree with that...................you don't know shit about basketball

Funny you should ask, because the Celtics are currently a top 10 off. Even funnier is that when he joined the Mavs during the season last year they were the #1 offense in the NBA. WITH him they fell to 12th and ended up at #5.

Rondo may very well be a genius. But BBIQ? Nah, homey. He doesn't play anything CLOSE to optimal basketball.

CelticBaller
03-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Torn acl, he's a lot slower now

Labissiere
03-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Not just as good but certainly far from done.