PDA

View Full Version : If Melo was drafted to the Pistons & The Brotherhood

Wade's Rings
03-23-2016, 05:41 PM
http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/brotherhood/

The beginning oh the article spends A LOT of time talking about Melo & Bron and their highschool duel, draft, rookie year duels, etc. The part I'm posting starts with the what-if Melo got drafted to the Pistons and then goes into the brotherhood. I also threw in the 2006 summer and a wrap up that put Melo in this spot.

IN THE WEEKS before they heard their names called in the NBA draft, two basketball prodigies traded texts and calls and sketched out an enticing future.

'Bron in Cleveland, Melo in Detroit, just around the bend along Lake Erie. A mere 170 miles between them. Close enough to hang out on an off day.

The Cavs and Pistons even played in the same division.

It was perfect on every level. It felt like destiny.

Cleveland had the No. 1 pick and had locked in on James, the can't-miss kid from nearby Akron.

Detroit had the No. 2 pick, and a formidable lineup, but no one who could score like Anthony. He seemed a natural fit.

"I was told that Detroit was going to take me," Anthony said. "Once Cleveland made the pick, I was like, 'Oh, I'm going to Detroit.'"

The draft opened with NBA Commissioner David Stern announcing the Cavaliers' selection of James, as expected.

"You up next," James told Anthony.

"And then Detroit passed," Anthony recalled, chuckling.

The Pistons had instead

Wade's Rings
03-23-2016, 05:42 PM
EARLY IN THE summer of 2006, three budding NBA stars

guy
03-23-2016, 05:50 PM
I highly doubt the Pistons would've been better during that time frame. I don't see their results being much different from 04-08. They were a team built on chemistry, not talent, which Melo probably gets in the way of. They were also an incredibly complacent team. Still a dumb move on their part though, since they clearly would've been better off after 08.

LilEddyCurry
03-23-2016, 05:58 PM
I highly doubt the Pistons would've been better during that time frame. I don't see their results being much different from 04-08. They were a team built on chemistry, not talent, which Melo probably gets in the way of. They were also an incredibly complacent team. Still a dumb move on their part though, since they clearly would've been better off after 08.
Carmelo played great for team USA, he wasn't always a ball stopper and played well within the offence and was a great catch and shoot player.

Gone_Fishin
03-23-2016, 06:00 PM
The perception of Melo as a ball stopper, sort of cancer is because that's the situation he has been put in. Now it's largely his fault (he didn't need to strong-arm his way to NY), but that doesn't mean he is unwilling and would be unsuccessful off the ball as a 2 option.

Old Man River
03-23-2016, 06:07 PM
The beginning oh the article:coleman:

Rake2204
03-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Carmelo played great for team USA, he wasn't always a ball stopper and played well within the offence and was a great catch and shoot player.Points made on both sides here. I felt as though the Pistons hit the lottery from a chemistry and "just the right mix" standpoint. Everything just seemed to sort of fall into place.

My first question regarding Anthony in Detroit would be: What happens to Tayshaun Prince? I know it's easy to look at him as being disposable, particularly in comparison to a talent like Anthony's, but for a team whose cornerstone was legendary defense

Nick Young
03-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Carmelo is great for team USA and plays like a team player. He was the same on Syracuse. Playing on the Nuggets next to AI for years DESTROYED his development.

Melo could have been a multitime champion if he was drafted to Detroit and surrounded by better people early in his career.

He used to have a lot of desire and hunger to succeed. About 5-6 years ago he stopped caring.

guy
03-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Team USA doesn't mean much. Its for like a month at a time and he's playing with a bunch of guys just as good as him if not better. Completely different from playing for one team for years where he's clearly the most talented player. As good as the Pistons were, they weren't Team USA.

hold this L
03-23-2016, 06:39 PM
Fck man, cannot believe they didn't draft him!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: No idea what they were thinking at the time! :mad:

Bandito
03-23-2016, 07:04 PM
Fck man, cannot believe they didn't draft him!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: No idea what they were thinking at the time! :mad:
Your username perfectly describes their situation.

Wade's Rings
03-23-2016, 07:33 PM
The beginning oh the article:coleman:

I hit the h key which is 2 spaces right of the f key.

Kvnzhangyay
03-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Damn this article is long but its really well written (it's like the Kobe article from a while back)

If only Detroit didn't **** up....:facepalm

bizil
03-23-2016, 08:36 PM
Melo on the Pistons means multiple rings in my opinion. At least an additional ring. Melo would have added what that team NEVER had. And that was a legit alpha dog scorer. From there, u still had Billups, Rip, and Sheed who were VERY GOOD scorers. And that epic Pistons D would have covered up Melo's defensive shortcomings. Having Prince come off the bench would have been HUGE too!

That Pistons team was LITERALLY the perfect team to build around a player like Melo. And on a side note, we saw what that Denver team with Melo-Billups leading the way did. They made the Western Conference Finals. In many ways, that team was built similar to the 2000s Pistons teams. They just weren't as good though.

hold this L
03-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Melo on the Pistons means multiple rings in my opinion. At least an additional ring. Melo would have added what that team NEVER had. And that was a legit alpha dog scorer. From there, u still had Billups, Rip, and Sheed who were VERY GOOD scorers. And that epic Pistons D would have covered up Melo's defensive shortcomings. Having Prince come off the bench would have been HUGE too!

That Pistons team was LITERALLY the perfect team to build around a player like Melo. And on a side note, we saw what that Denver team with Melo-Billups leading the way did. They made the Western Conference Finals. In many ways, that team was built similar to the 2000s Pistons teams. They just weren't as good though.
They would have won 2 rings for sure, not just one. You're right, that team would have been perfect for Melo, but those fcking idiots had to ruin and drafted one of the biggest fails that I can remember.

What a fking fail :banghead: OP you ruined my night making me remember. :D

MellowYellow
03-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Ship in 04 finals in 05 ship in 06 finals in 07

PsychoBe
03-23-2016, 09:54 PM
it pisses me off just thinking about how fvcking retarded the pistons were :facepalm

dd24
03-24-2016, 01:51 PM
It for sure would have meant multiple rings for the Pistons. And I do agree Melo would be a more rounded player today if he would have been drafted there. The media would have made a huge story out of the Melo & Lebron rivalry at that point.

Wade's Rings
03-24-2016, 02:01 PM
It for sure would have meant multiple rings for the Pistons. And I do agree Melo would be a more rounded player today if he would have been drafted there. The media would have made a huge story out of the Melo & Lebron rivalry at that point.

Wade, Bron, and Melo would've all been in the same conference with them meeting in the Playoffs multiple times.

dd24
03-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Wade, Bron, and Melo would've all been in the same conference with them meeting in the Playoffs multiple times.
I think Wade would have really had a hard time in 06 getting that ring, but yeah it would have been a big time match up.

ralph_i_el
03-24-2016, 02:12 PM

The premise of the article is that Melo becomes a better team player if drafted by the Pistons, which is not far fetched.

Wade's Rings
03-24-2016, 02:51 PM
I think Wade would have really had a hard time in 06 getting that ring, but yeah it would have been a big time match up.

Agreed. That year alone, Bron vs Melo and Wade vs Melo would've happened, crazy.