View Full Version : Porzingis: Only Rookie in NBA History with

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 04:34 PM
1000 pts
500 rebs
75 3pt fgs
100 blks

:applause:

Porzingis also indicated he may seek out the assistance of a "former NBA player who is really good in the post," which certainly fits the profile of Hakeem Olajuwon.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/kristaps-porzingis-carmelo-article-1.2579195

He will redefine the center position as we know it. :bowdown:

90sgoat
03-27-2016, 04:44 PM
And racist and black athlete worshippers booed this dude.

Truth is the American athlete is incredibly overrated. Kristaps is 19 year old euro who shits on all these 'great athletes'.

The NBA is an illusion of skill upheld by allowing travel, carry, palming.

Akrazotile
03-27-2016, 04:45 PM
How'd that "Carmelo is a superstar" thing work out?

FireDavidKahn
03-27-2016, 04:46 PM
How is he going to redefine the center position when KAT has already done that?

Akrazotile
03-27-2016, 04:49 PM

Laker fans on suicide watch.

pastis
03-27-2016, 04:51 PM

he can shoot threes and has a nice midrange j? he has ballhandlings and can dribble?

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 04:53 PM

Towns can't stretch out to the 3pt line the way Taps can. Towns is more of a classic center that has a face up game. He's very good at it, but certainly not revolutionary.

FreezingTsmoove
03-27-2016, 04:55 PM
He barely even plays center

He was a PF this year

Akrazotile
03-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Towns can't stretch out to the 3pt line the way Taps can. Towns is more of a classic center that has a face up game. He's very good at it, but certainly not revolutionary.

How have the Knicks done since yall welcomed Carmelo to the team 6 or 7 years ago?

You told us he was superstar and that it was the beginning of a new era for the Knicks.

How'd it go?

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 04:57 PM
He barely even plays center

He was a PF this year

That's why I said "he will". He's not strong enough to play center now, but he will eventually.

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 04:59 PM
How have the Knicks done since yall welcomed Carmelo to the team 6 or 7 years ago?

You told us he was superstar and that it was the beginning of a new era for the Knicks.

How'd it go?

Who is posting from here? The poster known as starface said he was quitting this site, and I've always known him to be a man of his word.

fiddy
03-27-2016, 05:06 PM
Laker fans on suicide watch.
Desperation is real with this clown. We did not have a shot at KAT, dumb fuсk

FireDavidKahn
03-27-2016, 05:12 PM
he can shoot threes and has a nice midrange j? he has ballhandlings and can dribble?
KAT has a better midrange game and can dribble as well:facepalm

FireDavidKahn
03-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Same 3P%:oldlol:

aj1987
03-27-2016, 05:18 PM
And racist and black athlete worshippers booed this dude.

Truth is the American athlete is incredibly overrated. Kristaps is 19 year old euro who shits on all these 'great athletes'.

The NBA is an illusion of skill upheld by allowing travel, carry, palming.
Hey there, masonand******. :cheers:

Dude is soft AF. 7'2" and takes a ton of 3's, when he can't even hit them at a good clip. Can't rebound and is a mediocre rebounder.

I know that he's still a rookie, but the guy is getting properly overrated.

Trollsmasher
03-27-2016, 05:20 PM
TOP 10 all time potentional:applause:

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 05:22 PM
Same 3P%:oldlol:

He makes 1 every third game. I wouldn't really call that drawing the defense out to the line.

Blue&Orange
03-27-2016, 05:33 PM

How'd it go?
Well he has the same account he had 7 years ago. In that time you went through 100+ accounts like the effeminate phagott loser that you are.

pastis
03-27-2016, 05:42 PM
well carmelo has lopez, porizings and some mediocre players....and did not make the eastern conference playoffs - again.

caremlos WS/48 the last two NY seasons: 0.122 and 0.097

thats just terrible for someone in his prime and being paid like 25mio a year

aj1987
03-27-2016, 05:46 PM
He makes 1 every third game. I wouldn't really call that drawing the defense out to the line.
Soft AF. 7'2" and he takes like 4 3's a game on shit percentages, while averaging 42% FG%. Not to mention his horrific rebounding for someone his size.

pastis
03-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Soft AF. 7'2" and he takes like 4 3's a game on shit percentages, while averaging 42% FG%. Not to mention his horrific rebounding for someone his size.

i agree that he took to many 3s, especially when hitting only 33%. but i think we shouldnt be too rude with him. its his rookie year. he started great and is struggling for some time now. he has to work his ass off this offseason. he will come back stronger. the next two years are crucial for his developpment.

saying that, most of his threes were more or less open looks. he just didnt make them.
i just read an interesting article regarding bosh and the introduction of the 3pointer in his repartoire.
bosh developped, step by step, a solid threepointer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/10700/the-dirkification-of-chris-boshs-arsenal

Legends66NBA7
03-27-2016, 05:54 PM
When I told Knick fans that tanking the season before was a good idea since it would be help the team long term once Melo's reign on the team is over, they all snapped at the notion and even buried the kid for getting drafted.

Turned out to be a great idea. Thank me later.

FireDavidKahn
03-27-2016, 05:54 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/townska01.html
FG% By Distance
0-3': 70.7%
3-10': 46%
10-16': 44.1%
16<3 Point: 50.5%
3P%: 33.8%

Yes, he draws defenses all the way out to the 3 point line. He also has one of the best, probably THE BEST FOR A BIG MAN, pump fakes > dribble drives in the league.

Edit: oh and btw, he takes 28.3% of his shots from that 16<3 point range and hits on 50.5% of them....

pastis
03-27-2016, 05:56 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/townska01.html
FG% By Distance
0-3': 70.7%
3-10': 46%
10-16': 44.1%
16<3 Point: 50.5%
3P%: 33.8%

Yes, he draws defenses all the way out to the 3 point line. He also has one of the best, probably THE BEST FOR A BIG MAN, pump fakes > dribble drives in the league

do you have some highlights to show regarding his midrange j? how often does he take a shot between 10-3point line?

aj1987
03-27-2016, 06:09 PM
i agree that he took to many 3s, especially when hitting only 33%. but i think we shouldnt be too rude with him. its his rookie year. he started great and is struggling for some time now. he has to work his ass off this offseason. he will come back stronger. the next two years are crucial for his developpment.

saying that, most of his threes were more or less open looks. he just didnt make them.
i just read an interesting article regarding bosh and the introduction of the 3pointer in his repartoire.
bosh developped, step by step, a solid threepointer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/10700/the-dirkification-of-chris-boshs-arsenal
I really hope he does well. I don't give a shit that he's on the Knicks. The more superstars the league has, the better it will be. That being said, I do not like the way he's getting overhyped. Also, watching him play, he's settling into a role as a soft jump shooter, more often than not. Dude's 7'2" and averages like 7 rebounds a game. Rookie LeBron was averaging one less rebound at 6'7". Shooting 45% on 2's is just inexcusable as well. Rookie Wade was shooting at a better clip.

pastis
03-27-2016, 06:15 PM
I really hope he does well. I don't give a shit that he's on the Knicks. The more superstars the league has, the better it will be. That being said, I do not like the way he's getting overhyped. Also, watching him play, he's settling into a role as a soft jump shooter, more often than not. Dude's 7'2" and averages like 7 rebounds a game. Rookie LeBron was averaging one less rebound at 6'7". Shooting 45% on 2's is just inexcusable as well. Rookie Wade was shooting at a better clip.

yep he is overhyped because of its first 30-35 games or so. then you have to consider that he plays in NY, one of the biggest markets.....

but i also think, that some basketball experts (like phil jackson) can see this kids huge potential and maybe he is being overhyped for that as well

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 06:23 PM

He plays 28 minutes per game. His per36 is 9.2 rebs/game. Lebron played 40 mpg his rookie year. Rebounding was also his biggest weakness coming from Spain last year. It's something that will get better as he gets stronger and develops more. It's really hard to put on weight at that size. It will happen with time though. He's only 20.

pastis
03-27-2016, 06:29 PM
He plays 28 minutes per game. His per36 is 9.2 rebs/game. Lebron played 40 mpg his rookie year. Rebounding was also his biggest weakness coming from Spain last year. It's something that will get better as he gets stronger and develops more. It's really hard to put on weight at that size. It will happen with time though. He's only 20.

once is already save imo: he wont be just another bargniani

aj1987
03-27-2016, 06:32 PM
I really hope he does. I do not want him to turn into a soft perimeter oriented big. Dude has potential to average 25/15 easy with good defense. Depends on how he approaches the game after this season though.

BTW, it's not just his rebounding (which is WEAK for a 7'2" player), but his scoring as well. 45% on 2's is just weak for a guy his size. Rookie Wade was at 48%.

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Here's some videos on just how much his game has changed from last year in Sevilla to now.

Interior Defense:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REJXzY2Hf2c

Rebounding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A2GSEjOdlg

Interior Scoring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLuq8ZYAtlI

Perimeter skills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AqVke8eod8

Passing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uL5M3z3UCw

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Oh and add to the fact that he can hit the Curry tunnel shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmJ0e8bglwE

Smoke117
03-27-2016, 07:13 PM
LMFAO...bringing up some obscure stat to raise this guy up on a pedestal...I like him too, but this is ****ing pathetic. He's legit not even a top 50 rookie all time in the MODERN ERA. (1980 to now) This kid is going to be good...but he's not even close to being one of the best rookies of all time. To be fair though...knick fans have nothing to celebrate in their dilapidated franchise...so it make sense they are going to overrate and overhype this guy.

hateraid
03-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Can anyone locate the kid who cried at the draft? I hope he's getting build at school

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 07:48 PM
LMFAO...bringing up some obscure stat to raise this guy up on a pedestal...I like him too, but this is ****ing pathetic. He's legit not even a top 50 rookie all time in the MODERN ERA. (1980 to now) This kid is going to be good...but he's not even close to being one of the best rookies of all time. To be fair though...knick fans have nothing to celebrate in their dilapidated franchise...so it make sense they are going to overrate and overhype this guy.

What the actual fck are you talking about? Who ever said he was a top 50 rookie? What the stats show is a player that is a rim protector, and can also stretch the defense with 3 point shooting, which is extremely rare. Only a few players have been able to hit those marks, and none have done it as a rookie.

Sarcastic
03-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Can anyone locate the kid who cried at the draft? I hope he's getting build at school

They're friends now, and the kid has a hot mom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZA9xydUsAA3Txw.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-12-19/8e7011e0-a672-11e5-97a6-fb5a358ddd75_12357470_640721676114038_1610898225_n .jpg

Legends66NBA7
03-27-2016, 08:08 PM
I really hope he does. I do not want him to turn into a soft perimeter oriented big. Dude has potential to average 25/15 easy with good defense. Depends on how he approaches the game after this season though.

25/15 for a peremiter big ? That's a bit too much, but we will see.

Legends66NBA7
03-27-2016, 08:15 PM

Got to survive those tough NY streets by hitting the weights.

imdaman99
03-27-2016, 08:25 PM
In KP, we trust :rockon:

Meticode
03-27-2016, 09:34 PM
I hope he puts in the hard work. The kid has the ability to be really special with his type of length and athleticism. Dirk because one of the greatest all-time big-man shooters ever if not the best by putting in the work.

Sportal
03-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Can't we all just be excited about this, as basketball fans.. Ffs.

90sgoat
03-28-2016, 02:47 AM
Kristaps has a ceiling above Dirk and a floor around Pau Gasol.

It's obvious KP has the mentality, IQ and work ethic to really succeed. He is also custom built for this era with his long range shooting and great rim protection in one.

Goofsta Knicca
03-28-2016, 03:21 AM
Second ever goofy Dolph Lundgren looking mother****er after Kirilenko with short hair on da Jazz.

Rolando
03-28-2016, 03:40 AM
Porzingis should:

A. Have Jabbar teach him the skyhook.
B. Have Hakeem teach him the shake.
C. Learn to handle the ball like Durant.
D. Shoot the fall away like Dirk.

And gain 20lbs.

I wish him all the best.

coin24
03-28-2016, 04:32 AM
Id rather see him play closer to the basket, there's no point playing on the perimeter..
Drawing the d out for what anyway? It's not like they have any decent slashers on that team..

Porzingis has had a great rookie campaign overall though, shame the Knicks FO couldn't even scrape tougher enough decent players to make a push for the 8..

aj1987
03-28-2016, 07:20 AM
25/15 for a peremiter big ? That's a bit too much, but we will see.
Potential. As I said, he should not take a ton of 3's and midrange j's. Should utilize his size and work in the paint.

90sgoat
03-28-2016, 07:46 AM
Id rather see him play closer to the basket, there's no point playing on the perimeter..
Drawing the d out for what anyway? It's not like they have any decent slashers on that team..

Porzingis has had a great rookie campaign overall though, shame the Knicks FO couldn't even scrape tougher enough decent players to make a push for the 8..

I don't want to compare, but Hakeem had range to the 3 point line, no doubt today coming up, he'd be able to shoot 3s too.

The thing about KP is that he is pretty much a small ball destroyer.

Let's say you play Warriors and they play a small lineup with Green, KP is going to destroy him in the post on offense and defense.

Then Warriors play Bogut and KP can step out, create space, drive, shoot and STILL defend the post.

Mistmatch plenty.

Sarcastic
03-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Potential. As I said, he should not take a ton of 3's and midrange j's. Should utilize his size and work in the paint.

How many players come in as a finished product? Did you not see the difference in his game in the videos I posted from just 1 year? He'll work in the paint when he gains weight. Right now he is still too frail to be there all the time. The fact that he can consistently hit 3s is a huge bonus.

imdaman99
03-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Porzingis should:

A. Have Jabbar teach him the skyhook.
B. Have Hakeem teach him the shake.
C. Learn to handle the ball like Durant.
D. Shoot the fall away like Dirk.

And gain 20lbs.

I wish him all the best.
That would only make him the GOAT :oldlol:

We have seen him do all of those things here and there, minus maybe the Durant handle. The problem with him developing handle or trying to dribble much is he will get it stolen because of how high the ball will be when he dribbles. I have no doubt with hard work he can be a great player. Hopefully like you said, he can sprinkle all of those things together. I look forward to it :cheers:

He needs to work on consistency. I have no doubt in my mind he will get it there. Like I said, in KP we trust :pimp:

Dresta
03-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Nice arbitrary choice of stats there OP :applause:

Smoke117
03-28-2016, 02:52 PM
What the actual fck are you talking about? Who ever said he was a top 50 rookie? What the stats show is a player that is a rim protector, and can also stretch the defense with 3 point shooting, which is extremely rare. Only a few players have been able to hit those marks, and none have done it as a rookie.

Practically EVERY PLAYER in the league can do this now...lol...that's how the game is. You think they'd have Porzingis shooting 3pters 20 years ago? You want to see some real stats for a rookie...here you go:

David Robinson - 24.3ppg 12rpg 2apg 3.9bpg 1.7spg .531%fg .733%ft while leading the Suprs to 35 more wins...THAT'S A ****ING ROOKIE CAMPAIGN worthy of merit.

Legends66NBA7
03-28-2016, 02:59 PM
You think they'd have Porzingis shooting 3pters 20 years ago?

Obviously not because the game was different.

Sarcastic
03-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Manute Bol used to shoot 3s 20 years ago, so it's not impossible for Porzingis to do it 20 years ago as well. The point is that 7+ foot shot blockers that can hit 3 point shots are about as rare as unicorns. While the stats are arbitrary, they are significant in what they represent. A very rare type of player; one that even Kevin Durant called a unicorn.

Hey Yo
03-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Practically EVERY PLAYER in the league can do this now...lol...that's how the game is. You think they'd have Porzingis shooting 3pters 20 years ago? You want to see some real stats for a rookie...here you go:

David Robinson - 24.3ppg 12rpg 2apg 3.9bpg 1.7spg .531%fg .733%ft while leading the Suprs to 35 more wins...THAT'S A ****ING ROOKIE CAMPAIGN worthy of merit.
Comparing 24yr old rookie Robinson, whose body was almost fully defined, playing true C minutes(36.6pg)....... to a 20yr old rookie playing PF?

KungFuJoe
03-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Why shouldn't porzingis be shooting from outside? His form is great. Most of his makes are pure swishes.

Maybe Durant should stop shooting from the outside. I mean he is 6'10. He shouldn't ever leave the low post.

Smoke117
03-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Obviously not because the game was different.

That's the point...that he's the first player in history to do this isn't a big deal. Cousins and Brow would probably do this too if they came in right now.

Sarcastic
03-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Cousins has reached 100 blocks once in his career (last year and likely won't make it this year unless he goes on tear to end the season), and never hit 75 threes. He has 68 so he can possibly make that.

Davis made 35 threes this year. He might get it one day, but certainly didn't come close as a rookie.

Again, the numbers are arbitrary, but they certainly are not easily achievable for most players. Dwyane Wade for example has hit 75+ threes only once in his career. It's not a number to sneeze at, and in the modern game where hit 3s is a valuable commodity, Porzingis can do it from a front court position AND give you shot blocking.

Sarcastic
03-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Porzingis is not the first person to do it. He's the first rookie to do it. Last person was Kevin Durant.

stalkerforlife
03-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Yes...Porzingis had a fine year for a rookie.

When i've seen him play, though...I just don't see a star level player.

I think his extreme height will hinder him and he will break down. He also seems soft and easily bodied.

I hope he proves me wrong.

CavaliersFTW
03-28-2016, 04:41 PM
No he isn't - he's the only one since blocks and steals were recorded to have done it.

Guarantee Kareem and Wilt did it, with absolute certainty. Possibly Bellamy and a few others too.

TommyGriffin
03-28-2016, 04:43 PM
No he isn't - he's the only one since blocks and steals were recorded to have done it.

Guarantee Kareem and Wilt did it, with absolute certainty. Possibly Bellamy and a few others too.
Those guys did it in an archaic era that didn't have the level of competition that we see today. They don't really count.

Sarcastic
03-28-2016, 04:45 PM

I can guarantee Kareem and Wilt never hit a 3 point shot as a rookie, without even looking it up.

CavaliersFTW
03-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Those guys did it in an archaic era that didn't have the level of competition that we see today. They don't really count.
Who cares what excuses you might have -

To say "first player in history" isn't honest.

First player in history - since stats were recorded - is the only accurate way to phrase it.

CavaliersFTW
03-28-2016, 04:47 PM
I can guarantee Kareem and Wilt never hit a 3 point shot as a rookie, without even looking it up.
At a glance missed the 3 point shot stat - nevermind, carry on :oldlol:

aj1987
03-28-2016, 05:39 PM
How many players come in as a finished product? Did you not see the difference in his game in the videos I posted from just 1 year? He'll work in the paint when he gains weight. Right now he is still too frail to be there all the time. The fact that he can consistently hit 3s is a huge bonus.
Did you actually read my post or do you not understand the meaning of certain words?

Sarcastic
03-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Did you actually read my post or do you not understand the meaning of certain words?

Yes I did. You said he should work from the post, to which I replied that he is not strong enough yet. Since Rambis took over, he's been putting him in the post more, and that's the reason he has struggled more as of late. He just gets bullied in the post because his body is not ready yet. He's already said his main goal in the off season will be to put on weight. Once he does, he will operate from the post much more, especially if the Knicks are still running the triangle.

hateraid
03-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Got to survive those tough NY streets by hitting the weights.

:lol
Sp: Bullied

aj1987
03-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Yes I did. You said he should work from the post, to which I replied that he is not strong enough yet. Since Rambis took over, he's been putting him in the post more, and that's the reason he has struggled more as of late. He just gets bullied in the post because his body is not ready yet. He's already said his main goal in the off season will be to put on weight. Once he does, he will operate from the post much more, especially if the Knicks are still running the triangle.
In the future, dude. Not right now.