PDA

View Full Version : MJ was normally the primary defender on opponent's best wing, not Pippen

3ball
03-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Jordan was primary defender on:

Magic Johnson - 1991 Finals (43% FG)
Clyde Drexler - 1992 Finals (42%)
Reggie Miller - 1998 ECF (42%)
Isiah Thomas - 1988 and 1989 Playoffs (35%)
Gary Payton - 1996 Finals (Gm 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meL62CUehuw) and Gm 5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFiqeJcgXfg)... 43%)

Pippen was primary defender on:

Penny 1996 ECF (25 ppg on 47%)

Jordan guarded Penny in that series too and locked him down - Penny scored a total of 1 point (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAtNOjco8yQ) on Jordan the entire series.

Also, in 1993 Finals, Jordan guarded Kevin Johnson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K2rBgOqGCw) in crunch time of Game 3 - he held him to 2 points in the final 7 minutes and three overtimes.

Inferno
03-28-2016, 02:07 PM
MJ also retired 15 years ago, stop making threads ****** :facepalm

sd3035
03-28-2016, 02:08 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

3ball
03-28-2016, 02:09 PM
translation:

"damn it... he's right - the facts are on his side... nothing to refute... time to call names and troll.."

Inferno
03-28-2016, 02:10 PM
translation:

"damn it... he's right - the facts are on his side... nothing to refute... time to call names and troll.."

Nah nikka, MJ is the GOAT, but this isn't the 90s anymore breh :oldlol:

Smoke117
03-28-2016, 02:33 PM
LMFAO...you legit made this thread because I said Pippen >>> Jordan defensively (it is true though) to troll you...thank you, too easy. I love how you bring up the 1996 playoffs...where Pippen led the league in drating and defensive winshares...

3ball
03-28-2016, 02:35 PM
LMFAO...you legit made this thread because I said Pippen >>> Jordan defensively (it is true though) to troll you...thank you, too easy.

Indeed, you pushed 3ball to posting greatness today :lol

http://media0.giphy.com/media/GCLlQnV7wzKLu/giphy.gif

The facts in the OP cannot be refuted - MJ was the better defender, which is why he got the FAR tougher defensive assignments.

Dr Hawk
03-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Pippen is the best perimeter defender of all-time though

Smoke117
03-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Indeed, you pushed 3ball to posting greatness today :lol

The facts in the OP cannot be refuted - MJ was the better defender, which is why he got the FAR tougher defensive assignments.

You don't even ****ing understand basketball. Putting Pippen on the opposing players best scorer was WASTE OF HIS TALENT. Scottie is by far the greatest help/team defensive player of all time...REMEMBER it was Scottie Pippen NOT Michael Jordan who carved up the Jazz offense and had Jerry Sloan whining about illegal defense because he could cover so much ground and was EVERYWHERE. Everytime I hear this garbage about one on one defense it just makes me laugh how simple all of you are when it comes to basketball...Scottie was a beast because he was regularly guarding about 3 or 4 players ON EVERY POSSESSION...there's a reason he's so respected among his former teammates...because he ALWAYS had your back and cleaned up your screw ups. Like Phil said...when he asked a player why he did this or that on defense there was only one answer that was okay: Scottie told me to do it. He was the leader on the DEFENSIVE END...not Michael Jordan.

3ball
03-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Pippen is the best perimeter defender of all-time though
Other than Penny (who destroyed him) and Mark Jackson (the slowest point guard of all time), Pippen was never a defender of point guards, whereas Jordan was all the time.

Pippen wasn't even ON the perimeter half the time because he was guarding the SF... He was much slower on the perimeter than Jordan, which is why quick ballhandlers blew by him with ease - by comparison, Jordan was FAR better at staying in front of quick ballhandlers:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11762341&postcount=24

And Jordan got the FAR tougher defensive assignments, as shown in the OP, while performing much better in those assignments.

hold this L
03-28-2016, 02:46 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/sZDPNsiMeGgrC/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2JHTqp3GqAVcxzbO/giphy.gif

Speak that gospel inferno. :pimp:

PP34Deuce
03-28-2016, 02:57 PM
I always thought MJ was the better man defender on guards. He had amazing lateral ability.

Pippen was more versatile though. Pippen could guard forwards 3-4 really good and he had insane awareness on help D.

Combined you have a defensive tandem that covered group and key positions.

Smoke117
03-28-2016, 03:45 PM
I think Rodman said it best...you don't realize how good Scottie Pippen is till you play with him and experience how easy he makes the game for everybody else.

In game one of the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals, Pippen scored four points on 1-9 field goal shooting but he controlled the game with his full court defense against Indiana point guard Mark Jackson, completely disrupting the Pacers' offense. LeBron James is sometimes compared to Scottie Pippen but it is paradoxical that Pippen could dominate a playoff game while only scoring four points

riseagainst
03-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Pippen is overall a better defender than MJ. Just let it go.

3ball
03-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Pippen is overall a better defender than MJ. Just let it go.
Actually, as Smoke and I established -

Jordan's combination of elite help defense and superior on-ball defense makes him the better defender overall, which is why he got the tougher defensive assignments, as shown in the OP.

3ball
03-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Putting Pippen on the opposing players best scorer was WASTE OF HIS TALENT.

You're saying Scottie can't walk and chew gum at the same time, which kills your argument and proves it false.

Jordan guarded the other team's best player AND he was tremendous at helping on other players.

it was Scottie Pippen NOT Michael Jordan who had Jerry Sloan whining about illegal defense

Jordan has similar stories of being a tremendous help defender over the years, but you simply ignore them - Jordan was often called a "roamer" on defense, which is what Kobe called himself numerous times in his attempts to imitate MJ.

Jordan has more highlights blocking bigs from the weakside, stealing the ball in passing lanes and stripping the ball from other players.. His combination of elite help defense and superior on-ball defense makes him the better defender overall, which is why he got the tougher defensive assignments.

there's a reason Pippen is so respected among his former teammates

Do you expect teammates to trash Pippen???.. Of course not - when a reporter asks about Pippen, his teammates are going to say good things like he was a good defender, just like they said MJ was a good defender - it's no big deal.

In Pippen's case, people tend to focus primarily on Pippen's defense because his offense usually wasn't noteworthy, since he played with the GOAT scorer who scored at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers - no WONDER people focus on Pippen's defense more.

Btw, Pippen's teammates might say nice things about him - as expected - but the consensus among opponents was that Pippen was weak, overrated, and not a concern of their defense:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12083064&postcount=189

3ball
03-28-2016, 05:08 PM
I think Rodman said it best.

Quotes are useless - Jordan has similar quotes extolling his defensive prowess because he was DPOY and 1st team for 9 seasons.

I answered all your points above, and you respond with a standard quote from a teammate.. :facepalm

Smoke117
03-29-2016, 01:51 AM
Actually, as Smoke and I established -

Jordan's combination of elite help defense and superior on-ball defense makes him the better defender overall, which is why he got the tougher defensive assignments, as shown in the OP.

What exactly did we establish? Pippen in the 94 and 95 season especially was much better than MJ ever was defensively. That's a damn fact. NO PERIMETER PLAYER HAS EVER BEEN AS DOMINANT AS SCOTTIE WAS IN THAT 95 SEASON.

3ball
03-29-2016, 08:27 AM
What exactly did we establish? Pippen in the 94 and 95 season especially was much better than MJ ever was defensively. That's a damn fact.

Says who... You?

Two can play that game - Jordan's 1988 was more dominant - because I said so... and because he won DPOY while averaging more steals and blocks:

JORDAN 1988: 3.2 spg... 1.6 bpg.... DPOY... :applause:
PIPPEN. 1995: 2.9 spg... 1.1 bpg

Don't be ignorant and say Pippen had better DRtg or DPBM - it isn't just that the stat is flawed so guys like Barkley and Divac have higher DPBM than Pippen in 1995, but forwards ALWAYS have higher stats in those areas than guards (it's interesting - SG's have better DRtg and DPBM than PG's.... SF's > SG's.... PF's > SF's.... C > PF.)

Even though I'd go with MJ all day on defense (due to tremendous help defense and far superior on-ball defense), we're arguing semantics here - any fan, pundit or analyst would say it's basically a tossup between MJ and Pippen defensively.. However, MJ provided elite defense WHILE scoring at least 10 ppg more than Pippen in every playoff series of their career, AND leading the Bulls in passing (MJ led Bulls in assist % for both 3-peats (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11713121&postcount=49)).. THAT'S THE GOAT BURDEN: team leader in scoring (by at least 10 ppg), passing and defense.

Reggie43
03-29-2016, 08:36 AM
I remember Reggie Miller having Ron Harper as his primary defender in 1998 but it doesnt suit your agenda so it might not be true :oldlol:

HylianNightmare
03-29-2016, 08:47 AM
Headshot

Jasper
03-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Curry ever play defense :roll: :roll: :roll:

hateraid
03-29-2016, 10:45 AM
OP also thinks Jordan is a better wide receiver than Randy Moss. He'd take any shred of information and twist it to fuel his agenda. The world know Pippen was the better defender, the league knew it, Coach Jackson knew it, even Michael has admitted it. If Jordan were to asked to defend himself in this thread he'd say, "I'll let Scottie handle it"

Fact, people stop wasting your time

ClipperRevival
03-29-2016, 11:22 AM
You don't even ****ing understand basketball. Putting Pippen on the opposing players best scorer was WASTE OF HIS TALENT. Scottie is by far the greatest help/team defensive player of all time...REMEMBER it was Scottie Pippen NOT Michael Jordan who carved up the Jazz offense and had Jerry Sloan whining about illegal defense because he could cover so much ground and was EVERYWHERE. Everytime I hear this garbage about one on one defense it just makes me laugh how simple all of you are when it comes to basketball...Scottie was a beast because he was regularly guarding about 3 or 4 players ON EVERY POSSESSION...there's a reason he's so respected among his former teammates...because he ALWAYS had your back and cleaned up your screw ups. Like Phil said...when he asked a player why he did this or that on defense there was only one answer that was okay: Scottie told me to do it. He was the leader on the DEFENSIVE END...not Michael Jordan.

:biggums:

ClipperRevival
03-29-2016, 11:27 AM
OP also thinks Jordan is a better wide receiver than Randy Moss. He'd take any shred of information and twist it to fuel his agenda. The world know Pippen was the better defender, the league knew it, Coach Jackson knew it, even Michael has admitted it. If Jordan were to asked to defend himself in this thread he'd say, "I'll let Scottie handle it"

Fact, people stop wasting your time

There is no definitive way to say Pip was the better defender. Yes, he was taller and longer, which absolutely matters in bball. But MJ wasn't no slouch either. MJ clearly had the advantage in foot speed, lateral mobility and quickness. So he was superior at keeping guys in front of him and playing man on man D. Pip was more of a strider, could cover more ground and guard more positions.

And you also can't forget the offensive end and how much MJ had to expend energy. That matters. MJ carried GOAT level offensive loads in the playoffs. Pip had the luxury of playing 2nd fiddle where he could pick his spots offensively.

It comes down to how you define greater defensive player.

coin24
03-29-2016, 11:29 AM

/thread:lol :lol :lol :applause:

hateraid
03-29-2016, 11:46 AM
There is no definitive way to say Pip was the better defender. Yes, he was taller and longer, which absolutely matters in bball. But MJ wasn't no slouch either. MJ clearly had the advantage in foot speed, lateral mobility and quickness. So he was superior at keeping guys in front of him and playing man on man D. Pip was more of a strider, could cover more ground and guard more positions.

And you also can't forget the offensive end and how much MJ had to expend energy. That matters. MJ carried GOAT level offensive loads in the playoffs. Pip had the luxury of playing 2nd fiddle where he could pick his spots offensively.

Sorry, but I'll take personal experience, eye test, and testimonial of NBA Players and coaches anyday over a message board opinion that is clearly biased.

Labissiere
03-29-2016, 11:49 AM
:roll:

bond10
03-29-2016, 12:54 PM

MJ was the better man defender:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11255979&postcount=76

Johnny Bach:

[I]Who was the better defender? Pippen was one of the best and most gifted defenders of all time. But MJ was the better defender. Michael could shut down anyone in the world for a 3 minute span. The best he

Funktion
03-29-2016, 01:26 PM

:lol :lol

bizil
03-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Often times, IT DIDN'T matter when it came to MJ and Pip. Both could defend PG, SG, and SF great. BUT Pip could check the PF's as well. Something MJ couldn't really do. I think People forget that Pip was a LONG 6'8 and 225 pounds. And Pip was a freakish athlete to boot. So overall, I would say Pip was the slightly better defender due to the size and versatility. It's A LOT MORE RARE to find guys who can defend PG to PF. When it comes to defending PG to SF well (while very impressive), u can find several more guys who can do that.

hateraid
03-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Often times, IT DIDN'T matter when it came to MJ and Pip. Both could defend PG, SG, and SF great. BUT Pip could check the PF's as well. Something MJ couldn't really do. I think People forget that Pip was a LONG 6'8 and 225 pounds. And Pip was a freakish athlete to boot. So overall, I would say Pip was the slightly better defender due to the size and versatility. It's A LOT MORE RARE to find guys who can defend PG to PF. When it comes to defending PG to SF well (while very impressive), u can find several more guys who can do that.

Exactly. OP and his minions seem to have an issue deferring to a better player at certain aspects. Nobody is saying Jordan wasn't an all world defender. Pippen just happens to be better which has no shame in it. Accept it and move on.

ClipperRevival
03-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Exactly. OP and his minions seem to have an issue deferring to a better player at certain aspects. Nobody is saying Jordan wasn't an all world defender. Pippen just happens to be better which has no shame in it. Accept it and move on.

Better at what? Defense isn't just one simple definition. There are aspects to it. Like I said, Pip being taller, longer and heavier meant he could guard bigger players.

But MJ had Pip in foot speed, lateral mobility, ability to keep his man in front of him better, quicker at jumping passing lanes, was the better shot blocker in his prime (look it up), better at generating steals, amazing weakside defender and was the best ever at turning defense into instant offense.

You call MJ fans closed minded but what about YOU? It's absolutely a legit argument to entertain the notion that MJ was just as good a defender as Pip. Maybe not as versatile. So many greats from MJ's era said MJ was the best defender of his era, like Barkley, Ainge, Magic, etc. It goes on and on. They just blowing up smoke? No, they saw the IMPACT he had.

Euroleague
03-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Jordan was primary defender on:

Magic Johnson - 1991 Finals (43% FG)
Clyde Drexler - 1992 Finals (42%)
Reggie Miller - 1998 ECF (42%)
Isiah Thomas - 1988 and 1989 Playoffs (35%)
Gary Payton - 1996 Finals (Gm 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meL62CUehuw) and Gm 5 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFiqeJcgXfg)... 43%)

Pippen was primary defender on:

Penny 1996 ECF (25 ppg on 47%)

Jordan guarded Penny in that series too and locked him down - Penny scored a total of 1 point (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAtNOjco8yQ) on Jordan the entire series.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fhKYeqKHIW0ow/giphy.gif

Smoke117
03-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Better at what? Defense isn't just one simple definition. There are aspects to it. Like I said, Pip being taller, longer and heavier meant he could guard bigger players.

But MJ had Pip in foot speed, lateral mobility, ability to keep his man in front of him better, quicker at jumping passing lanes, was the better shot blocker in his prime (look it up), better at generating steals, amazing weakside defender and was the best ever at turning defense into instant offense.

You call MJ fans closed minded but what about YOU? It's absolutely a legit argument to entertain the notion that MJ was just as good a defender as Pip. Maybe not as versatile. So many greats from MJ's era said MJ was the best defender of his era, like Barkley, Ainge, Magic, etc. It goes on and on. They just blowing up smoke? No, they saw the IMPACT he had.

Scottie Pippen is the greatest help/team defender of all time. I actually agree Jordan was better one on one, but that's because he was quicker and more nimble which made it easier for him to stay with other wings. Scottie was better at defending PG's though as his length really closed them off and disrupted what they wanted to do. The Bulls replaced 2 out of 3 of their best defenders (Jordan and Grant) with Pete Myers and Toni Kukoc in 95 and were 2nd in defense...why? Because of Scottie Pippen and his all time great help defense. When I said he was defending 3 or players every possession I was talking about this season because he was and he had to. He had to be everywhere and had big man like impact defensively that season (and in 94)...Jordan was never as dominant as Pippen was in 94 and especially 95 defensively.

It also boils down to consistency...Pippen was always 100% full on defensive effort for however many mins he played...Jordan wasn't. You can bring up that he was expending more energy offensively and that's true, but were just talking about defense here and consistency matters. Pippen was more consistent and that's just a fact. They even used to say in 4th quarters in 95 how exhausted he looked out there because of how much energy he was expending defensively...how many superstars you ever heard that said about? Like those quotes said...Maybe Jordan was better for 3 mins if he was fully engaged...but there are lot more than 3 mins in a game and he took a lot more breaks than Scottie ever did. Either way I don't agree with that...Jordan doesn't have one season where he was as dominant as Pippen was in 94 and 95.

Stringer Bell
03-29-2016, 04:16 PM
I remember Reggie Miller having Ron Harper as his primary defender in 1998 but it doesnt suit your agenda so it might not be true :oldlol:

I remember Harper being given a lot of tough defensive assignments during the 2nd Bull 3-peat. He was a very good defender, adapted nicely from a 20 PPG player to a defensive role player after the knee injury.

I remember Pippen playing a lot of D on Mark Jackson to disrupt flow of the Pacer offense.

Stringer Bell
03-29-2016, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=bond10]MJ was the better man defender:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11255979&postcount=76

Johnny Bach:

[I]Who was the better defender? Pippen was one of the best and most gifted defenders of all time. But MJ was the better defender. Michael could shut down anyone in the world for a 3 minute span. The best he

Duffy Pratt
03-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Just watched the first quarter of Game 7 of the ECF from 1998. Jordan was on Miller three times in that quarter, twice from transition. Spent more time defending either Jackson or Mullin.

CuterThanRubio
03-29-2016, 09:25 PM
This Mugsy Bogues story is BS. For one, the series only went 4 games, Chicago won 3-1.

I've watched that 4th game and there's no series down the end where Bogues misses any jumpers. Jordan got away with a foul at the last second and the Bulls wrapped it up in 4 in Chicago. Game 5 would have been in Charlotte.

Also, Bogues made it through all these different levels of basketball, in addition to growing up in violent surroundings, behind really short. Does anyone really think he had NOT been picked on and made fun of countless times for being short before he played against Michael Jordan?

Typical.

Jordan fans love living fantasies instead of reality.

Muggsy's shooting numbers improved a couple seasons later, including a career best in 3pt shooting, that story is completely false.

Da_Realist
03-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Just watched the first quarter of Game 7 of the ECF from 1998. Jordan was on Miller three times in that quarter, twice from transition. Spent more time defending either Jackson or Mullin.

I believe the switch was made at halftime.

diamenz
03-29-2016, 11:21 PM
physically speaking it was pipp. mentally it was mike.

but both ways, it wasn't by much.

3ball
04-03-2016, 04:46 PM
physically speaking it was pipp. mentally it was mike.

but both ways, it wasn't by much.

Exactly - MJ played Pippen-level defense, while also scoring at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers, AND leading the team in assist percentage for both 3-peats:

Assist Percentage 1991-1993 Playoffs:

Jordan: 31.1%
Pippen: 23.3%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html#1991-1993-sum:playoffs_advanced
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html#1991-1993-sum:playoffs_advanced

Assist Percentage 1996-1998 Playoffs:

Jordan: 22.3%
Pippen: 22.0%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html#1996-1998-sum:playoffs_advanced
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html#1996-1998-sum:playoffs_advanced

GrapeApe
04-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Exactly - MJ played Pippen-level defense, while also scoring at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers, AND leading the team in assist percentage for both 3-peats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html#1991-1993-sum:playoffs_advanced
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html#1991-1993-sum:playoffs_advanced

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html#1996-1998-sum:playoffs_advanced
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html#1996-1998-sum:playoffs_advanced

Who led the Bulls in playoff assists and apg in 1992, 1996, and 1998?

To go along with his all time great defense, Pippen was the top playmaker for 3 championship runs. Legendary player.

:bowdown:

3ball
04-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Sorry, but I'll take personal experience, eye test, and testimonial of NBA Players and coaches anyday

Do you expect teammates or former players to trash Pippen???.. Of course not - when a reporter asks about Pippen, they're going to say good things like he was a good defender, just like they said MJ was a good defender - it's no big deal.

In Pippen's case, people tend to focus exclusively on his defense since his offense was overshadowed by the GOAT, who scored at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers AND led the team in passing (MJ led Bulls in assist % for both 3-peats (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12276802&postcount=42)) - no WONDER people focus on Pippen's defense more.

aj1987
04-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Pippen basically covered MJ on the defensive end. It's a known FACT.

3ball
04-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Pippen basically covered MJ on the defensive end. It's a known FACT.
before new fans started to revise history so their current heroes could compare to MJ, it was common knowledge that MJ was the team's best defender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOgJhzj4W9M&t=35m00s

Furthermore, even though Pippen had far less steals and blocks than Jordan's best seasons, new fans have chosen to cling to the notion that Pippen was a better "help" defender, since it is well-known that he was the far worse man-on-man defender:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11977764&postcount=29

Also, Pippen's teammates might say nice things about him - as expected - but the consensus among opponents was that Pippen was weak, overrated, and not a concern of their defense:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12083064&postcount=189

GrapeApe
04-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Pippen: 10x all-defense and 3x top playmaker for a championship run.

The only other players in history to do that are Jordan and Kobe.

:applause: :bowdown:

3ball
04-03-2016, 05:45 PM

'

Pippen: 10x all-defense and 3x top playmaker for a championship run.

The only other players in history to do that are Jordan and Kobe.

Who assisted on the highest % of Bulls field goals during their 6-peat?

Answer: Jordan

Therefore, he was the Bulls' biggest playmaker.. :confusedshrug:

AND played Pippen-level defense, while scoring at least 10 ppg more than his 2nd option for every playoff series of his career - no one in history carried anywhere NEAR this big a load.

GrapeApe
04-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Who assisted on the highest % of Bulls field goals during their 6-peat?

Answer: Jordan

Therefore, he was the Bulls' biggest playmaker.. :confusedshrug:

AND played Pippen-level defense, while scoring at least 10 ppg more than his 2nd option for every playoff series of his career - no one in history carried anywhere NEAR this big a load.

How the hell did Jordan lead the Bulls in assist% in 1992, 1996, and 1998? That makes zero sense. In fact it's literally impossible. You can't lead a team in assist% when another player leads the team in total assists and apg. Pippen led the Bulls in total assists and apg during the '92, '96, and '98 playoffs.

I'll say it again. Pippen is one of only 3 players to be 10x all-defense and 3x assist leader for a championship run. One of the greatest 2-way players of all time.

3ball
04-03-2016, 07:27 PM
How the hell did Jordan lead the Bulls in assist% in 1992, 1996, and 1998?

MJ played Pippen-level defense, while also scoring at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers, AND leading the team in assist percentage for both 3-peats:

Only Jordan was required to lead his team in scoring by that much... AND playmake the most... AND play Pippen-level defense.. :facepalm :bowdown:

livinglegend
04-03-2016, 07:28 PM
If you take away points from inside 20 feets, Curry >>>>>>> Jordan.

GrapeApe
04-03-2016, 07:56 PM
MJ played Pippen-level defense, while also scoring at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers, AND leading the team in assist percentage for both 3-peats:

Only Jordan was required to lead his team in scoring by that much... AND playmake the most... AND play Pippen-level defense.. :facepalm :bowdown:

But Jordan DIDN'T playmake the most in '92, '96' and '98. I don't know how you're getting your numbers, but Pippen led the Bulls in assists and apg for 3 of the 6 titles. Apparently I was wrong about the correlation between apg and ast%, and somehow Jordan actually had a higher ast% in 1992 despite averaging fewer apg (I can actually admit to being wrong). I'll have to look into how the stat is calculated, but nevertheless, Pippen led in all 3 assist stats in 1996 and 1998.

Pippen: 147 assists, 6.7 apg, 25.8 ast%
Jordan: 127 assists, 5.8 apg, 28.3 ast%

1996:
Pippen: 107 assists, 5.9 apg, 24.9 ast%
Jordan: 74 assists, 4.1 apg, 21.2 ast%

Pippen: 110 assists, 5.2 apg, 23.6 ast%
Jordan: 74 assists, 3.5 apg, 19.9 ast%

Edit: Jordan's higher ast% in '92 was the result of fewer made fg's by his 4 teammates on the court. Despite having less assists than Pippen, his ast% was higher due to a smaller denominator in the ratio.

3ball
04-04-2016, 01:44 AM
Pippen: 147 assists, 6.7 apg, 25.8 ast%
Jordan: 127 assists, 5.8 apg, 28.3 ast%

1996:
Pippen: 107 assists, 5.9 apg, 24.9 ast%
Jordan: 74 assists, 4.1 apg, 21.2 ast%

Pippen: 110 assists, 5.2 apg, 23.6 ast%
Jordan: 74 assists, 3.5 apg, 19.9 ast%

Everything in your post (above) and my post (below) is true, except your post only points out individual seasons where Pippen led in assists, while mine points out that Jordan was the biggest playmaker over the course of the ENTIRE 6-peat..

Pippen can have a couple one-off seasons - Jordan was the bigger playmaker over the course of the ENTIRE 6-peat, and also their entire careers (Jordan's career APG and assist percentage is higher than Pippen's, in both regular season and playoffs).

link to Jordan data:http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html#1991-1993-sum:playoffs_advanced
link to Pippen data:http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html#1991-1993-sum:playoffs_advanced

link to Jordan data: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html#1996-1998-sum:playoffs_advanced
link to Pippen data: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html#1996-1998-sum:playoffs_advanced

Stringer Bell
05-23-2016, 11:23 PM
Typical.

Jordan fans love living fantasies instead of reality.

Muggsy's shooting numbers improved a couple seasons later, including a career best in 3pt shooting, that story is completely false.

I believe some of the stories related to Jordan's psychopathic competitiveness, but the Bogues one is just so ridiculous and illogical, I can't believe people believe that crap.