PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Porzingis will end up a bust?

stalkerforlife
03-28-2016, 04:37 PM
He's gotten a lot of hype this year after having some really impressive games.

However, I still see a soft player that plays too far from the basket. I see a player that will break down physically because of his extreme height. I see him getting bodied and wilting.

I hope he proves me wrong. I like his attitude.

Sarcastic
03-28-2016, 04:39 PM
He's already clear of being a bust.

Real14
03-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Nope. Too bad he wasn't drafted by tha Lakers right? :lol

pastis
03-28-2016, 04:41 PM
never ever. his fundamentals are already too good to end as a bust.
he is 20 and already showed for 30-35 games his skill-pool.
2-3 more years of intense training and he will be a top 10 player

HoopologyPhD
03-28-2016, 04:53 PM
I think mostly he was a victim of the crapiness of the Knicks organization. I think his season was pretty unprecedented for such a young, tall foreign player. Time will tell if he has the street hunger to be great.

stalkerforlife
03-28-2016, 04:54 PM
I think mostly he was a victim of the crapiness of the Knicks organization. I think his season was pretty unprecedented for such a young, tall foreign player. Time will tell if he has the street hunger to be great.

Bingo.

Sarcastic
03-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Knicks had to give him his own key to the practice facility because he showed up every morning before anyone else was there to practice. I'd say he's pretty hungry to get better.

smoovegittar
03-28-2016, 05:02 PM
New York fans aren't worried about THIS.

swagga
03-28-2016, 05:11 PM

However, I still see a soft player that plays too far from the basket. I see a player that will break down physically because of his extreme height. I see him getting bodied and wilting.

i think you'll get busted for child abuse first, take better care of that kid, son, and stop posting.

Spurs m8
03-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Your ball carrying is more impressive than this thread tbh

Locked_Up_Tonight
03-28-2016, 05:21 PM
He will not be a bust but the expectations of the kid should be lowered. He is averaged 13-14 PPG and 7 RPG. Those are good numbers. But I don't believe he has a ton of room for improvement because of his body. He reminds me of a taller Andrei Kirinlenko. And like Andrei, (who had a good rookie year), did not all of a sudden become a stud. He was a good player for quite a long time. But Andrei never had a go to move, either in the post or isolation from outside. And Porzingas reminds me of that.

HylianNightmare
03-28-2016, 05:43 PM
He is too good to bust

AngelEyes
03-28-2016, 06:01 PM

Well he's not soft at all so I guess your eyesight is shit. There's a difference between a guy not being physically strong and being soft. Porzingis is lacking in strength for a big man right now. He's not soft though. He's willing to mix it up with guys far stronger than him. Dumb comment on your part.

AngelEyes
03-28-2016, 06:02 PM
He will not be a bust but the expectations of the kid should be lowered. He is averaged 13-14 PPG and 7 RPG. Those are good numbers. But I don't believe he has a ton of room for improvement because of his body. He reminds me of a taller Andrei Kirinlenko. And like Andrei, (who had a good rookie year), did not all of a sudden become a stud. He was a good player for quite a long time. But Andrei never had a go to move, either in the post or isolation from outside. And Porzingas reminds me of that.

He's 20 ****ing years old. He's got a ton of time to develop his body and get stronger. This guy has more potential than Kirilenko.

hateraid
03-28-2016, 06:03 PM

How do say he's soft and plays to far from the basket but then contradict that by saying he'll break down?
He has shown he's willing to take contact. He loves put backs and help defense. He plays a controlled reckless type game. Reminds me a bit of a less athletic Gerald Wallace. I think he holds up. At least for 5-8 years then evolves his game to a Dirk Nowitzki type. He's got that range.

hateraid
03-28-2016, 06:05 PM

He is not like AK-47 other than being an Ivan Drago lookalike. I really am not a fan of that comparison.

fsvr54
03-28-2016, 06:13 PM
never ever. his fundamentals are already too good to end as a bust.
he is 20 and already showed for 30-35 games his skill-pool.
2-3 more years of intense training and he will be a top 10 player

Never

Not a bust though

Damian Lillard
03-28-2016, 06:37 PM
How do say he's soft and plays to far from the basket but then contradict that by saying he'll break down?
He has shown he's willing to take contact. He loves put backs and help defense. He plays a controlled reckless type game. Reminds me a bit of a less athletic Gerald Wallace. I think he holds up. At least for 5-8 years then evolves his game to a Dirk Nowitzki type. He's got that range.

He's got mostly better numbers than rookie Dirk, but Dirk made huge strides in year 2 and 3. Let's see how Porzingis holds up over a full season and with 30+ minutes a night.

KungFuJoe
03-28-2016, 06:40 PM
There is no possible way he's going to be a bust.

Look at his shooting form. He's going to be deadly from the outside. His range is impressive.

He has a nearly complete offensive package. Can shoot with either hand...right hooks, left hooks. Bank shots, jumpers, cutting to the basket. Put backs. Dribble and pull up or catch and shoot.

The ONLY negative on his offensive game is that he doesn't have any POWER post moves. All his moves from the post are turn around jumpers. But, he's so tall and skinny...that should come as he adds more size.

On the defensive end he's already an ELITE shot blocker. He just needs to be a better rebounder (he's not too shabby) and that will come as he adds more size.

artificial
03-28-2016, 06:59 PM
Define bust.

If by bust you mean not meeting very high expectations some people have put on him after a good rookie season, then that's not "being a bust", it's (deservedly) raising the bar.

Busts are players like Noah Vonleh, Jan Vesely, Ekpe Udoh, Johnny Flynn, etc.

bobopenguin
03-28-2016, 08:42 PM
op forgot to take his medicine..

AngelEyes
03-28-2016, 08:49 PM
I don't understand people like the OP. Do you expect him to be a finished product as a 20 year old rookie? Everyone knows he has flaws and has to improve in certain areas. One of his most obvious flaws is his strength. If he improves his strength it will benefit many areas in his game, finishing close to the basket, getting post position, interior defense, etc. The guy has a ton of tools and has shown many flashes already.

TheMarkMadsen
03-28-2016, 08:50 PM
no way. he may never be a franchise player but he won't be a bust. Time will tell whether or not he's going to be a franchise player or not.

zbott
03-29-2016, 09:54 PM
He shouldn't be a bust long term - he's got good skills ... but playing in N.Y. for a perennial loser may set him back ...

Kiddlovesnets
03-29-2016, 11:32 PM
Well he wont be a bust, but wont be the franchise type player Knicks fans hope him to be either.

Im Still Ballin
03-29-2016, 11:39 PM
18/9 per 36 minutes

52% TS/ 47% eFG

45% from midrange

33% from 3pt

Solid rebounding numbers

He'll be right. It'll be interesting to see him with more size

SwishSquared
03-30-2016, 01:02 AM
Rambis is running him into the ground. They need to monitor his mins- he's played more than double the amount of mins this year than he did his last 2 ACB seasons combined.

He hit a wall a couple times this year, but he'll top out as a very, very good player. Probably will play half his mins, or more, at C in his prime. That may be his best defensive position, even offensive, depending upon the matchup.

stalkerforlife
03-30-2016, 01:17 AM
By bust I mean...he will never be close to a superstar. He will never be a legitimate all-star. I don't see it.

He can contribute and play a role, but the hype he's gotten is unwarranted.

His ceiling is a great role player.

Fire Colangelo
03-30-2016, 01:58 AM

Don't really like the Kirilenko comparison...

but I'd take Andrei Kirilenko with an outside jumper with my 4th pick ANY day.

D.J.
03-30-2016, 02:20 AM
He's 20 and has been pretty steady at 14/7 with almost 2 BPG. He's pretty much out of bust territory. Whether he maximizes his potential will have to do with his work ethic.