PDA

View Full Version : If John Starks didnt...

Real14
03-29-2016, 04:48 PM
...choked game 6 & game 7 of 94 finals what would you rank Ewing and Hakeem on the all time list??

Stringer Bell
03-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Starks choked game 7, not game 6. He was the main reason the game was so close in game 6.

Ewing was horrible all series long offensively. Starks still had better and more efficient offensive stats after his 2-18 game 7 performance.

Perception would be different if Hakeem didn't block that shot and Starks made it. Ewing would have a ring, and people would forget how terrible he was offensively in that series. He couldn't make shots or get to the line.

Legends66NBA7
03-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Starks choked game 7, not game 6. He was the main reason the game was so close in game 6.

Ewing was horrible all series long offensively. Starks still had better and more efficient offensive stats after his 2-18 game 7 performance.

Perception would be different if Hakeem didn't block that shot and Starks made it. Ewing would have a ring, and people would forget how terrible he was offensively in that series. He couldn't make shots or get to the line.

All this.

I think we can also agree that was the GOAT defensive NBA finals series.

imdaman99
03-29-2016, 05:30 PM
Starks was their heart and soul in that series. If Olajuwon didn't block his shot at the end of game 6, Knicks would have won bro :cry:

It was a defensive struggle, that's the kinda team the 90s Knicks were. They didn't win pretty. I am pretty sure some rules changed after that Finals because of the defense played :oldlol:

Sigh.

Stringer Bell
05-18-2016, 02:51 PM
It's unfortunate that John Starks has often become a scapegoat for Patrick Ewing and his horrific offensive play in that series.

Throughout the series, the Knick backcourt outplayed the Rockets backcourt. Starks and Derek Harper played better than Vernon Maxwell, Sam Cassell, and especially Kenny Smith. Smith had an awful series.. Cassell played alright, he did come up big in game 3. The Knicks' forwards and bench weren't outplayed by the Rockets' forwards and bench.

The main thing was how badly Ewing got outplayed by Hakeem. It took Ewing 23 field goal attempts per game to average 19 points per game. He shot 36.3% and his TS was 39%. Compare that with Hakeem putting up 26 PPG on 21 FGA per game, shooting 50% with a TS of 55.6%.

It was one of the worst offensive performances any franchise player has had in the NBA Finals.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1994-nba-finals-knicks-vs-rockets.html

All this.

I think we can also agree that was the GOAT defensive NBA finals series.

Yeah, Ewing and Hakeem were swatting and rejecting so many shots. Ewing with 30 blocks and Hakeem with 27.

It wasn't a "pretty" series to watch, it was rugged and rather ugly, but all the games were competitive and fairly close, with games 3 and 6 going down to the wire.

sportjames23
05-18-2016, 04:55 PM

Basically this. I don't remember Ewing being terrible that series, though. I'll have to watch it again on YouTube or something.

sportjames23
05-18-2016, 04:57 PM
It's unfortunate that John Starks has often become a scapegoat for Patrick Ewing and his horrific offensive play in that series.

Throughout the series, the Knick backcourt outplayed the Rockets backcourt. Starks and Derek Harper played better than Vernon Maxwell, Sam Cassell, and especially Kenny Smith. Smith had an awful series.. Cassell played alright, he did come up big in game 3. The Knicks' forwards and bench weren't outplayed by the Rockets' forwards and bench.

The main thing was how badly Ewing got outplayed by Hakeem. It took Ewing 23 field goal attempts per game to average 19 points per game. He shot 36.3% and his TS was 39%. Compare that with Hakeem putting up 26 PPG on 21 FGA per game, shooting 50% with a TS of 55.6%.

It was one of the worst offensive performances any franchise player has had in the NBA Finals.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1994-nba-finals-knicks-vs-rockets.html

Yeah, Ewing and Hakeem were swatting and rejecting so many shots. Ewing with 30 blocks and Hakeem with 27.

It wasn't a "pretty" series to watch, it was rugged and rather ugly, but all the games were competitive and fairly close, with games 3 and 6 going down to the wire.

Shit, I really gotta watch that series again then. I just remember it was a defensive struggle, but didn't realize Ewing played that bad.