PDA

View Full Version : Do you see NBA scouts making the same mistake with Buddy that they made with Curry?

TheMarkMadsen
03-29-2016, 06:35 PM
Another great shooter is tearing up the NCAA tourney and he's been doing this all year.

Yet all we are hearing from scouts is stuff like

he's too old

he's too short

he relies on his jumper too much

too short to be a shooting guard too short to be a two guard

handles aren't good enough

I've seen this guy play. I think he is going to be really, really good. I'm not saying he is going to be anywhere near Curry level but if he doesn't go top 3 then that is a damn shame.

If the Lakers can't get Ingram then Buddy should be the pick.

sammichoffate
03-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Another great shooter is tearing up the NCAA tourney and he's been doing this all year.

Yet all we are hearing from scouts is stuff like

he's too old

he's too short

he relies on his jumper too much

too short to be a shooting guard too short to be a two guard

handles aren't good enough

I've seen this guy play. I think he is going to be really, really good. I'm not saying he is going to be anywhere near Curry level but if he doesn't go top 3 then that is a damn shame.

If the Lakers can't get Ingram then Buddy should be the pick.We would have to get rid of Clarkson, Mitch would have to get a 3rd team involved probably on draft day. I see a player like Hield fitting with Russell better even though I think Clarkson's a really good player.

Real Men Wear Green
03-29-2016, 06:46 PM
In defense of scouts it's impossible to predict that a guy develops a handle like Curry did. He basically became a point guard in the NBA. You can't bank on Hield developing that ability in the pros. He should be a good shooting guard but Curry-like improvement is not guaranteed.

TheMarkMadsen
03-29-2016, 06:50 PM
We would have to get rid of Clarkson, Mitch would have to get a 3rd team involved probably on draft day. I see a player like Hield fitting with Russell better even though I think Clarkson's a really good player.

Nah JC would hopefully stay. He'd be perfect as a 6th man type who finishes games with the starters.

And yeah the combo of Russ and Buddy could be really, really nice.

I love how he isn't afraid of the spotlight, he never shies away from the ball. His game at KU this year was amazing. So clutch.

A core of Russ, Buddy, JC, & Randle would be a great young core to develop together

TheMarkMadsen
03-29-2016, 06:53 PM
In defense of scouts it's impossible to predict that a guy develops a handle like Curry did. He basically became a point guard in the NBA. You can't bank on Hield developing that ability in the pros. He should be a good shooting guard but Curry-like improvement is not guaranteed.

true, but scouts typically underrate NCAA play and overrate "potential". I can understand this sometimes when its a guy like Jimmer or Hansbrough, who's game pretty clearly isn't going to translate.

Buddy doesn't fall into that category into that category though. This guy has some serious skill. Also, if you're a scout and you've seen the improvement he's made in his game from junior to senior year then who's to say he won't keep developing his skill set throughout his career.

Lebron23
03-29-2016, 07:01 PM
I think his ceiling is a Ben Gordon type of player in the NBA. Gordon was a 20-22 ppg scorer in Chicago.

Lebron23
03-29-2016, 07:17 PM

In fairness to Buddy Hield. He's an 1 inch or 1.5 inches taller than Stephen Curry. His wingspan is 6'8.5".

He was like measured at 6'3.25" or 6'3.5" without shoes in the 2015 Nike Skills Academy.

HenryGarfunkle
03-29-2016, 07:24 PM
He has the best work ethic in sports. He's shooting better than Curry ever did at Davidson, so the comparison is a lil insulting to Buddy. I can see Buddy being on Klay Thompson level in 3 years or so.

Inferno
03-29-2016, 07:25 PM
He has the best work ethic in sports. He's shooting better than Curry ever did at Davidson, so the comparison is a lil insulting to Buddy. I can see Buddy being on Klay Thompson level in 3 years or so.

Being compared to the best player in the league is insulting :facepalm

bigkingsfan
03-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Ben McLemore was the next Ray Allen

HenryGarfunkle
03-29-2016, 07:34 PM
Being compared to the best player in the league is insulting :facepalm
Buddy is shooting damn near 47% from 3 this year. 50% from the field. Curry didn't sniff those numbers at Davidson. Buddy played in the best conference too. Curry played in the Southern Conference. :yaohappy:

Labissiere
03-29-2016, 07:39 PM
There are also more Adam Morrisons than there are Currys.

navy
03-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Curry was picked 8th, and Buddy is projected Top 5.

Not that big a drop all things considering.

90sgoat
03-29-2016, 08:53 PM

Not to anyone who actually watched him. More like a worse Jerry Stackhouse.

ShawkFactory
03-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Can't tell if you're agreeing with OP or not.

TheMarkMadsen
03-29-2016, 09:13 PM

the only thing those two have in common is a pretty looking jumper

Hey Yo
03-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Buddy is shooting damn near 47% from 3 this year. 50% from the field. Curry didn't sniff those numbers at Davidson. Buddy played in the best conference too. Curry played in the Southern Conference. :yaohappy:
As a 22yr old Senior against younger collegiate players.

TheMarkMadsen
03-29-2016, 10:19 PM
As a 22yr old Senior against younger collegiate players.

and Curry was 20 playing in a shit conference...

Lillard was 21 in a bad conference..

last I checked those guys were pretty good

Buddy is 22 and dominated the best conference in college basketball, his team lives and dies by his success.

GrapeApe
03-29-2016, 10:40 PM
and Curry was 20 playing in a shit conference...

Lillard was 21 in a bad conference..

last I checked those guys were pretty good

Buddy is 22 and dominated the best conference in college basketball, his team lives and dies by his success.

Not to change the subject, but the ACC was the strongest conference. 2 #1 seeds, 6 teams in the sweet 16, 2 teams in the final 4. Hell, Syracuse was the 9th place team in the conference and they're in the final 4. UL may have made a deep run too if not for the tournament ban.

SwishSquared
03-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Bob Knight also called Curry the best collegiate passer he had ever seen. Curry left after his junior year iirc and played on a pretty garbage team. I think Davidson was stronger overall his sophomore year.

Buddy is tearing up a big conference and the tourney, but his team is a lot better than what Curry was working with. I don't foresee Hield being a superstar, but he does have some upside left. I think his first 2 years teams should focus on his offball scoring and gradually ease in on ball duties. I'm not convinced he's gonna be an above average defensive player, but for a SG that matters less.

Cocaine80s
03-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Not to change the subject, but the ACC was the strongest conference. 2 #1 seeds, 6 teams in the sweet 16, 2 teams in the final 4. Hell, Syracuse was the 9th place team in the conference and they're in the final 4. UL may have made a deep run too if not for the tournament ban.
I have a feeling he has not even watched more than 2 OU games outside of march madness

TheMarkMadsen
03-29-2016, 11:02 PM

KU and OU were basically battling it out for the #1 ranking for the entire last half of the season. WVU, Baylor, Texas, ISU were all good and in the top 25 throughout the season but I don't watch THAT much college bball so yeah

TheMarkMadsen
03-29-2016, 11:04 PM
I have a feeling he has not even watched more than 2 OU games outside of march madness

Guarantee I've seen more Buddy Hield games in person this season than NBA games you've watched on tv this year.

Cocaine80s
03-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Guarantee I've seen more Buddy Hield games in person this season than NBA games you've watched on tv this year.
where the proof at? show the ticket stubs

GrapeApe
03-29-2016, 11:13 PM
KU and OU were basically battling it out for the #1 ranking for the entire last half of the season. WVU, Baylor, Texas, ISU were all good and in the top 25 throughout the season but I don't watch THAT much college bball so yeah

Don't get me wrong, the big 12 was a tough conference and has a case for being the best, but I think the ACC was stronger top to bottom. If OU wins it all it would definitely strengthen the Big 12's case (I have Nova beating them, but we'll see).