PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles

enayes
03-30-2016, 12:47 AM
Any motorcycle riders on here?

I'm considering taking a basic rider 2-day course to get my license. My parents both have bikes (they don't ride often) and my younger brother has a street legal dirtbike.

I mainly want to get my license so I can legally drive their bikes and decide if it's something I really want to do.

9erempiree
03-30-2016, 12:57 AM
I don't really ride but you should do it.

Lebron23
03-30-2016, 01:02 AM
It's dangerous. Don't ride it.

Hawker
03-30-2016, 01:11 AM
Stop asking us for advice about petty bullshit.

enayes
03-30-2016, 01:46 PM
Stop asking us for advice about petty bullshit.

I never asked for advice :pimp:

I made this thread to see if there are any riders on here :pimp:

I guess not :pimp:

Jasper
03-30-2016, 02:32 PM
had a chopper at one time , but wife and I have abandoned the idea.

even living in the backroads of Wisconsin , to many idiots driving , and its just trouble waiting to happen.

Now if your in the Dakota's it would be a.o.k. except for the wind .

Thorpesaurous
03-30-2016, 02:38 PM
I had a 98 Triumph Thunderbird from about four or five years, but I got rid of it after I hurt my Achilles.

Triumphs are good bikes to start on, or even just for what I liked it for. They're not to heavy, have good balance and good posture. Nice for just sort of getting around or doing relaxed drives.

I went so long without being able to use it because of my knees and feet. I wish I had it now. I should buy a new one.

~primetime~
03-30-2016, 03:14 PM
I actually know 2 different people that have been killed on a motorcycle.

:(

enayes
03-30-2016, 03:19 PM

They're dangerous, yes.

Most people can name 1-2 people they know that have died in car accidents as well.

~primetime~
03-30-2016, 03:21 PM
They're dangerous, yes.

Most people can name 1-2 people they know that have died in car accidents as well.
right but I know dozens of car drivers to every 1 bike driver...

enayes
03-30-2016, 11:57 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/00t0t_5GquGmZFVdo_600x450.jpg

Gonna pick up one of these once I get my license.

:pimp:

Doomsday Dallas
03-31-2016, 12:38 AM
I will die from skydiving before I die from riding on a motorcycle.

Just not worth the risk...

rezznor
03-31-2016, 12:53 AM
used to ride a cbr and an r1. was lots of fun but i've nearly died a few times and a guy i rode with got killed a week later (van ran a red light, not the rider's fault). another friend wrecked and lived, but his passenger died. i've also rubber necked past a motorcycle accident on the freeway and i'm pretty sure i saw a boot with his leg and foot still in it.

having my r1 stolen probably saved my life.

Overdrive
03-31-2016, 07:17 AM

Yeah, and many people know alot of people dying from congestive heart failure and we still enjoy our steaks.

My bike is out of order for over a year now. Yamaha cruiser I wanted to rat out, but the technical issues kept pilling up.

Lebowsky
03-31-2016, 07:33 AM
I've owned a Honda CBR and an Aprilia RSV thoughout the years (apart from smaller bikes in my teenage years), but I stopped riding years ago. I had my fair share of close calls despite being a sensible rider, and I finally decided it just wasn't worth it.

DukeDelonte13
03-31-2016, 07:40 AM
http://images.craigslist.org/00t0t_5GquGmZFVdo_600x450.jpg

Gonna pick up one of these once I get my license.

prob my all time favorite bike.

I used to have a bike and sold it after a couple of seasons. Remember, it's not IF you fall, it's WHEN you will fall.

Make sure you have a nice life insurance policy. All it takes is grandma drifting into another lane.

Lebowsky
03-31-2016, 08:09 AM
My favorite model of the last few years, Kawasaki Ninja H2R. This is going to be a legendary bike.

https://cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2015_Kawasaki_Ninja-H2R_5.med_-770x577.jpg

hateraid
03-31-2016, 11:39 AM
I have a Scrambler. My best friend has a Harley and most of the guys I ride with have Harleys. We generally ride when the weather is ideal on a lazy Sunday after church in the summer. Usually into another town or down the coast.I don't use it as a commuter. I have friend's who also ride crotch rockets. One of them works for Kawasaki and races. It's safe as you want it to be. If you ride like a banshee you're chances of a fatal accident in definitely heightened. I've only known one guy to die in a bike accident but sad to say he rode irresponsibly.

Godzuki
03-31-2016, 04:29 PM
dont ride u will lose a leg and be a cripple for ever

Fallguy20
03-31-2016, 04:46 PM
Awful lotta hate from peeps who have never felt the wind in their hair.

I have a 2006 Honda Shadow VLX CD (extra chrome) that i've had for about a year now. Love it! The 2,000 miles I have put on it were just the best.

I took the Idaho STAR course (beginners) because no one in my family ever rode and I hadn't the slightest clue how to. It was a 3 day course, some book work but mostly on the range, and I would suggest something similar to ANYONE who is buying a bike for the first time.

You will crash. Expect it, and wear your gear. I took a corner too sharp into some gravel and ended up in a field once (stayed on 2 wheels, thankfully) and got brake checked at an intersection that almost made me spill once as well, but I consider these my initiation. Granted, Boise traffic isn't crazy, but I am all for it.

enayes
04-02-2016, 11:15 PM
http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/files/ktm-duke-390-2.jpg

KTM Duke 390

Leaning towards getting one of these. One of the lightest bikes available. Under $5K brand new.

enayes
04-07-2016, 12:50 AM
Signed up for a BRC (Basic riding course). After this 2-day course I will have my license, assuming I pass the written and riding tests.

enayes
05-15-2016, 11:37 PM
Signed up for a BRC (Basic riding course). After this 2-day course I will have my license, assuming I pass the written and riding tests.

I officially passed the BRC 2-day course.

I can now go to the BMV and get my motorcycle endorsement on my license. Out of the 11 guys in my class, only 5-6 passed everything. If you fail the riding "exam" you get your permit but you have to schedule a road test to get your official license.

Although I passed everything I know I'm not ready to ride in traffic. My hope is to get an affordable bike at some point this summer and find a big parking lot to practice and practice. It's kinda scary that you can take a 2-day course and then go cruising on the highway.

I went through periods during the 2-day course where I felt confident, and at times somewhat discouraged by lack of progress/an inability to complete the turns/stops effectively.

But it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I've at least taken a step towards becoming a rider :D

Overdrive
05-16-2016, 03:09 AM
I officially passed the BRC 2-day course.

I can now go to the BMV and get my motorcycle endorsement on my license. Out of the 11 guys in my class, only 5-6 passed everything. If you fail the riding "exam" you get your permit but you have to schedule a road test to get your official license.

Although I passed everything I know I'm not ready to ride in traffic. My hope is to get an affordable bike at some point this summer and find a big parking lot to practice and practice. It's kinda scary that you can take a 2-day course and then go cruising on the highway.

I went through periods during the 2-day course where I felt confident, and at times somewhat discouraged by lack of progress/an inability to complete the turns/stops effectively.

But it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I've at least taken a step towards becoming a rider :D

Crazy that you can get your license without being able to ride in traffic. Had to take 4x4h lessons in traffic and on outter city roads before I could sign up for the test.

And that's just because I had a car license before. If not it would have been 6 up to 8x4 hours.

nathanjizzle
05-16-2016, 07:39 AM
if your life is valuable, dont ride. if its not but you are seeking to fill a void with excitement, then do it.

enayes
05-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Crazy that you can get your license without being able to ride in traffic. Had to take 4x4h lessons in traffic and on outter city roads before I could sign up for the test.

And that's just because I had a car license before. If not it would have been 6 up to 8x4 hours.

It doesn't make a lot of sense but the permit and road test route is even less practice. In NY and Maine (changing as of today) the other option other than a BRC course was to take an 8 hour classroom only session for permit an sign up for a road test. So you could pas the road test without practicing a lot o the basic maneuvers that are taught in the BRC course.

And with just a permit which last 2 years you can legally own and rode a bike anywhere. That's with only taking an 8 our classroom course.

In Maine as of today you have to take the 2 day BRC course which will lead to either a permit or a full endorsement. The class costs around $300.

enayes
05-16-2016, 06:17 PM
if your life is valuable, dont ride. if its not but you are seeking to fill a void with excitement, then do it.

It's not that simple.

Life is all about risk. You can take some or you can sit at home alone and do nothing. It's up to you to decide how you want to live.

I'm not sure if I will ever feel confident enough to ride in traffic, but I am going to find out. I earned my license through taking a 2-day course that taught be the basics and gave me a good foundation for riding.

Now it's time for me to hone my skills without any distractions, for example large parking lots, or at hours where almost no traffic is out.

Until I feel completely confident in my own abilities I will not take any unnecessary risks. I will only ride when I am ready.

~primetime~
05-16-2016, 07:42 PM
Until I feel completely confident in my own abilities I will not take any unnecessary risks. I will only ride when I am ready.

Sometimes it isn't about how well you are driving...it's them

That 18 year old chick driving the SUV texting her girlfriends will be just fine if she hits you...but you won't be.

KyrieTheFuture
05-16-2016, 07:47 PM
OPs probably buying a $5,000 bike for a $250 reward from one of his 46 credit cards

enayes
05-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Sometimes it isn't about how well you are driving...it's them

That 18 year old chick driving the SUV texting her girlfriends will be just fine if she hits you...but you won't be.

I know they're will always be risks out of my control.

I'm going to make sure that I am not one of those risks.

enayes
05-16-2016, 09:17 PM
OPs probably buying a $5,000 bike for a $250 reward from one of his 46 credit cards

With one of my Amex cards I get 6% back on groceries. At Hannaford you can buy gift cards for Amazon, etc and get 6% back.

My hope is find someone selling a cheap bike that will accept payment in Amazon gift cards. I then can get 6% cash back on my bike purchase :D

enayes
05-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Honda has some interesting DCT (Dual Clutch Technology) effectively creating an automatic motorcyce that shifts on it's own seamlessly, no clutch.

Old timers will most likely be against this but there are a few clear positives:

1. No clutch, less to worry about
2. Safer, more time to focus on road
3. Better for the bike, shifts better than a human could

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQxq5rMMFE

enayes
06-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Got my first bike a few days ago. Picked up a 2005 Buell Blast for $1300 on Craigslist :cheers:

http://i67.tinypic.com/2zf8ld3.jpg

DukeDelonte13
06-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Got my first bike a few days ago. Picked up a 2005 Buell Blast for $1300 on Craigslist :cheers:

buells are odd but kinda cool.

500cc. 35 horsepower, good beginner bike.

All bikes are finicky in terms of reliability, maybe with the exception of BMWs, but Buells and Harleys are notoriously unreliable IMO.

But for 1300 bucks who gives a f*ck!!

Have fun and be careful.

Fallguy20
06-03-2016, 02:50 PM

:applause:

Congrats! Looks like a sweet buy. Use that saved dough on your helmet, gloves, and jacket. I'll see you put on the road!!!

32jazz
06-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Any motorcycle riders on here?

I'm considering taking a basic rider 2-day course to get my license. My parents both have bikes (they don't ride often) and my younger brother has a street legal dirtbike.

I mainly want to get my license so I can legally drive their bikes and decide if it's something I really want to do.

I broke both hands riding ( totally my fault) & never replaced my bike as I personally felt it wasnt worth it

Actually being disabled/ dependent long term frightens me far more than death even.

I've considered a scooter for a short work commute( less than 5 miles) & it frightens me a bit seeing the number of serious crashes at a certain intersection .

I saw a cripple kid crying on HBO with a colostomy bag / catheter tube that his mother had to clean since his Fiancee bailed . Not worth it.

enayes
06-05-2016, 09:38 PM
buells are odd but kinda cool.

500cc. 35 horsepower, good beginner bike.

All bikes are finicky in terms of reliability, maybe with the exception of BMWs, but Buells and Harleys are notoriously unreliable IMO.

But for 1300 bucks who gives a f*ck!!

Have fun and be careful.

I hadn't heard about them before but a couple were available on craigslist. My younger brother was jealous when I told him about the bike, turns out he was looking for Buells awhile back (he ended up buying a KLR 250 street legal dirtbike). Anyway, he was also surprised on how cheap I was able to pick up the bike. Hoping to get it registered this week.

Lebron23
09-17-2020, 09:20 PM
Planning to buy a yamah nmax motorcycle next month

solar.hands
09-19-2020, 04:36 AM

Get the abs version

SaltyMeatballs
09-19-2020, 07:02 AM
I will die from skydiving before I die from riding on a motorcycle.

Just not worth the risk...

With you on that one

Lebron23
09-19-2020, 10:41 AM
Get the abs version

I'll check it out

Axe
09-24-2020, 08:23 AM
A cousin of mine just bought a Vespa the other day. I'm quite surprised how tiny it was. I thought it could be at least 6 feet long or more.

Jasper
09-25-2020, 09:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUI9NszB2iE he has ridden for decades

if you took every lesson by this pro (his wife is a hell of a rider as well)
This prevents accidents for sure.

Axe
05-04-2021, 12:04 AM
Have you gotten yourself one already?