PDA

View Full Version : Why don't liberals like freedom of speech anymore?

Nick Young
03-31-2016, 06:08 PM
Why has liberalism shifted to the point where modern liberals are actively fighting against freedom of speech and expression? :confusedshrug:

ALBballer
03-31-2016, 06:51 PM
Because the far left have become authoritarian-statist that do not care about logic and facts but are far more concerned with feelings.

nathanjizzle
03-31-2016, 07:32 PM
getting punched in the face because you are exercising your freedom of speech is the real anti freedom of speech.

navy
03-31-2016, 08:24 PM
Isnt Donald Trump against free speech as well?

NumberSix
03-31-2016, 08:37 PM
The word "liberal" has been coopted by people who are not liberals.

Nick Young
03-31-2016, 08:40 PM
Not according to his actions or words.

What makes you believe this?:confusedshrug:

longtime lurker
03-31-2016, 08:40 PM
OP needs to shut the **** up

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png

Nick Young
03-31-2016, 08:42 PM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/free_speech.png
LOL dude gets his memes from Anita Sarkeesian:lol :lol :lol

NumberSix
03-31-2016, 08:59 PM
Nice try, but not quite.

This thread is not about the constitutional right to free speech. It's not about the 1st amendment. It's about the PRINCIPLE of the practice of free speech.

As I always say, the definitive characteristic of the left is their lack of principles. The principle of free speech is not a principle that the left holds because they don't hold any principles. The left doesn't do principles. They don't understand the concept. They don't believe in the principle of letting all speech be heard and letting the best ideas win or people hearing all sides and making up their own minds. They want ideas and speech they don't like to be suppressed. Disingenuously claiming to "feel threatened" is one of the tactics they use to attain speech suppression.

Again, to be clear. This conversation is not about the RIGHT of free speech. They don't believe in the PRINCIPLE of free speech.

DeuceWallaces
03-31-2016, 10:20 PM
This has only happened in the minds of Fox News pundits and jobless moronic internet political trolls.

fiddy
03-31-2016, 10:21 PM
This has only happened in the minds of Fox News pundits and jobless moronic internet political trolls.
Denial.

ThePhantomCreep
04-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Nice try, but not quite.

This thread is not about the constitutional right to free speech. It's not about the 1st amendment. It's about the PRINCIPLE of the practice of free speech.

As I always say, the definitive characteristic of the left is their lack of principles. The principle of free speech is not a principle that the left holds because they don't hold any principles. The left doesn't do principles. They don't understand the concept. They don't believe in the principle of letting all speech be heard and letting the best ideas win or people hearing all sides and making up their own minds. They want ideas and speech they don't like to be suppressed. Disingenuously claiming to "feel threatened" is one of the tactics they use to attain speech suppression.

Again, to be clear. This conversation is not about the RIGHT of free speech. They don't believe in the PRINCIPLE of free speech.

You just described a Mein Trumpf Klan rally.

ALBballer
04-01-2016, 01:11 AM

I'm going to assume you have spent a substantial amount of time in the college setting whether it be as a student, graduate student, assistant professor, researcher etc.

In all the time you have spent there you don't think it's an issue? This leads me to believe you are either ignorant and unaware of your surroundings which could be possible or you are part of the problem (i'm going to assume the latter btw.) Even Barack Obama has commented on the issue and how colleges are coddling students, and it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it was some college fad but it has creeped into the real world.

falc39
04-01-2016, 01:29 AM
Recently listened to Tom Woods interviewing Christina Hoff Sommers and she really talked a lot about this stuff and kind of goes into how it came to be. It was eye-opening and pretty shocking. Worth a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiScaEP0X9M

Ass Dan
04-01-2016, 02:53 AM
Why has liberalism shifted to the point where modern liberals are actively fighting against freedom of speech and expression? :confusedshrug:

Why don't the right like collective bargaining anymore?

It doesn't fit their talking points.

The Liberals are head over heels with political correctness and they have painted themselves in a corner.

The Right is now head over heels with anti-union rhetoric so they can no longer stump for it.

Winds of change my little peabrain, winds of change.

GOP on the verge of extinction, maybe the DNC will be next.

Our future is a Ron Paul type versus a Bernie Sanders type because meathead on the net thingk that is pretty cool.

TYCRO
04-01-2016, 10:19 AM
He is definitely against freedom of religion.

DeuceWallaces
04-01-2016, 11:21 AM
I'm going to assume you have spent a substantial amount of time in the college setting whether it be as a student, graduate student, assistant professor, researcher etc.

In all the time you have spent there you don't think it's an issue? This leads me to believe you are either ignorant and unaware of your surroundings which could be possible or you are part of the problem (i'm going to assume the latter btw.) Even Barack Obama has commented on the issue and how colleges are coddling students, and it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it was some college fad but it has creeped into the real world.

There are stupid kids everywhere. Some liberals, some conservative. You're a ****ing moron if you think "liberals" don't like free speech, because 10 kids cried to the local news about some Trump graffiti at their university.

While those kids are probably idiots, they also might be a bit on edge because of the atmosphere at their college. There are plenty acts of overt racism happening on campus that rarely get national attention. They might be overly sensitive about the Trump chalk because last fall there was an O'Bama doll hanging from a tree in the diag from a noose.

From my experiences at MSU, UM, EMU, UKy, UMD, and PSU most universities are not bastions of racial/cultural diversity and understanding, because they're comprised of mostly stupid (white) kids.

falc39
04-01-2016, 11:55 AM
There are stupid kids everywhere. Some liberals, some conservative. You're a ****ing moron if you think "liberals" don't like free speech, because 10 kids cried to the local news about some Trump graffiti at their university.

While those kids are probably idiots, they also might be a bit on edge because of the atmosphere at their college. There are plenty acts of overt racism happening on campus that rarely get national attention. They might be overly sensitive about the Trump chalk because last fall there was an O'Bama doll hanging from a tree in the diag from a noose.

I believe it's a lot more than just a couple of kids. A lot of this supression of speech has its roots from feminist/gender studies, which have become completely institutionalized in our universities. It's a lot more organized than some of us may believe. Now we are seeing it boil over into other areas like politics and racial issues as that way of thought spreads.

Christina Hoff Sommers, of the older generation of feminist, wrote and warned of this disturbing trend. She soon found out that no one is immune from it, even herself becoming a target of such tactics.

Feminist Christina Hoff Sommers found herself excommunicated from “a religion she didn’t even know existed” for expressing concern about the way gender studies courses were being taught. Her book The War Against Boys (advocating for nothing more than equal concern for both genders) has been burned by petulant shrews from within the movement, and they organise safe spaces within their universities when she visits to protect them from her moderate, liberal, evidence-based words.

NumberSix
04-01-2016, 02:36 PM
He is definitely against freedom of religion.
Based on?