PDA

View Full Version : Why is Kobe 5/7 if he's a poor Finals performer?

JohnMax
04-02-2016, 02:55 PM
your thoughts

JT123
04-02-2016, 02:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4e9Jgjq.png

stalkerforlife
04-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Because he cares more about winning than he does stats.

He is right there with Jordan/Russell/Magic/Kareem...ultimate winners.

Whatever it takes.

Vancouver-Grizz
04-02-2016, 03:11 PM
cause his mere presence is enough for them to win it...

DUH....

I know what you are trying to do here.

ISHGoat
04-02-2016, 03:13 PM
He has teammates.

G0ATbe
04-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Because he's not.

Dray n Klay
04-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Same reason John Salley is 4/5

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/John+Salley+Celebs+Attend+Think+Can+Roast+xcQn2E4_ LJpl.jpg

Kblaze8855
04-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Elgin Baylor is 0-8 and is one of the great finals performers. Nobody to be taken seriously thinks these things are a matter of __/___. Its just something simple...for simple people who dont care to look too deeply into the game....and the lazy. Not everyone using such things is actually an idiot...some....just dont want to take the time to make a worthwhile argument and just want to have some fun bullshitting. Which is...ok. But those really are the only 2 options. Ignorance and joking.

Nilocon165
04-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Elgin Baylor is 0-8 and is one of the great finals performers. Nobody to be taken seriously thinks these things are a matter of __/___. Its just something simple...for simple people who dont care to look too deeply into the game....and the lazy. Not everyone using such things is actually an idiot...some....just dont want to take the time to make a worthwhile argument and just want to have some fun bullshitting. Which is...ok. But those really are the only 2 options. Ignorance and joking.
Solid post

Akrazotile
04-02-2016, 03:36 PM
http://cdn.nextimpulsesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/SON.jpg

"You're welcome"

IllegalD
04-02-2016, 07:22 PM

Riiiiiiiiight...

So Baylor being 0-8 in the Finals and not being able to win even ONE ring with a stacked superteam of Wilt and West "doesn't matter"...? :roll:

As soon as that fool retired the Lakers went on to rip a record 33 straight wins and win the chip.

IT MATTERS.

Unless you're some 40+ middle aged dude that is weirdly protective of "old school" players.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have Baylor ranked higher than Kobe. :roll: :facepalm

Nash
04-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Because he was the sidekick for the majority of them.

Spurs m8
04-02-2016, 07:37 PM
My thoughts are, why doesn't OP ever have an opinion?

Why does he ask for peoples opinions when he doesn't care to discuss them?

Why the **** is OP on the Spurs message board as an Atlanta Hawks fan?

SouBeachTalents
04-02-2016, 08:04 PM
My thoughts are, why doesn't OP ever have an opinion?

Why does he ask for peoples opinions when he doesn't care to discuss them?

Why the **** is OP on the Spurs message board as an Atlanta Hawks fan?

He's an autistic fakkit

SouBeachTalents
04-02-2016, 08:06 PM
As for the thread at hand, it helps that he had

1. The most dominant Finals performer of all time not named Jordan
2. Was the betting favorite literally every time he made the Finals, and was clearly on the better team almost every time

LongLiveTheKing
04-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Shaq. Pau.

aquaadverse
04-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Rings !!! Rings!!! Everything comes down to Rings !!!

LaLaLaLala I can't hear you. Rings !!! Rings !!! Shutup if you don't have Rings !!!!

Cold soul
04-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Kobe knows how to win and get job done stats aren't everything and end be all.

LBJFTW
04-02-2016, 08:40 PM
As for the thread at hand, it helps that he had

1. The most dominant Finals performer of all time not named Jordan
2. Was the betting favorite literally every time he made the Finals, and was clearly on the better team almost every time

Who would have thought that statistically the team that comes out on top of the more difficult conference (west) is the better team that the one that comes out on top of the weaker conference! (east)

7 wins in the WCF >>>> 6 wins in the ECF

The Kobe fans stay winning over the lebron fans.

Bankaii
04-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Rings !!! Rings!!! Everything comes down to Rings !!!

LaLaLaLala I can't hear you. Rings !!! Rings !!! Shutup if you don't have Rings !!!!
:oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
04-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Kobe knows how to win and get job done stats aren't everything and end be all.

you sound like every tpical casual moron, for the sake of people with a brain, log off

knicksman
04-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Hes not. Coz the real finals was in the west. Kobe is the type of guy who plays down to the competition. He knows hes the best by destroying the best teams, so no need to statpad against weaker teams. Only the insecures like bran does that.

jstern
04-02-2016, 09:10 PM
I think it's the same reason he's 2 for 7 in finals MVP. His teams, supporting cast were always better than their opponents.

IllegalD
04-02-2016, 09:14 PM
I think it's the same reason he's 2 for 7 in finals MVP. His teams, supporting cast were always better than their opponents.

So can the same be said for Kareem and hsi 2 for 6 Finals MVPs...? :confusedshrug:

SouBeachTalents
04-02-2016, 09:16 PM
So can the same be said for Kareem and hsi 2 for 6 Finals MVPs...? :confusedshrug:

Kareem would technically be 2/10, although tbh he got robbed of FMVP in the '80 Finals

raprap
04-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Because he plays for the better team everytime he got there? :confusedshrug:

IllegalD
04-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Because he plays for the better team everytime he got there? :confusedshrug:

That's not a valid excuse.

LeBron played for the better team in 2011 and 2014 and still lost like a b*tch.

raprap
04-02-2016, 09:22 PM
That's not a valid excuse.

LeBron played for the better team in 2011 and 2014 and still lost like a b*tch.
It's not an excuse dumbass. It's a fact. The only time kobe arguably played for an underdog team was in 2008.

TheMarkMadsen
04-02-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm so tired of this "his 01 & 02 rings don't count cuz Shaq"

let's just ignore his greatness leading into the finals for both years (where he led the team in scoring and assist) and focus on the finals.

Since when does capping off your great PO runs with finals of 25/8/6 and 27/6/5 put a damper on your ring?

FFS, Kareem has a finals of 13/4 while winning, Magic has a finals where his team won and he didn't even lead the team in ppg or apg for the finals, Duncan won while scoring 20ppg on 47% TS and hasn't won a FMVP in 10+ years, Bird in 81 put up 15ppg on 41%, Shaq won averaging 13ppg and nobody says a damn thing about these guys and those rings. Almost every great player has had a less than spectacular finals while winning the series and I wouldn't call what Kobe did in 01 or the 02 finals less than spectacular, they were pretty good during those years.

stalkerforlife
04-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Riiiiiiiiight...

So Baylor being 0-8 in the Finals and not being able to win even ONE ring with a stacked superteam of Wilt and West "doesn't matter"...? :roll:

As soon as that fool retired the Lakers went on to rip a record 33 straight wins and win the chip.

IT MATTERS.

Unless you're some 40+ middle aged dude that is weirdly protective of "old school" players.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have Baylor ranked higher than Kobe. :roll: :facepalm

Spot on.

Bankaii
04-02-2016, 09:42 PM
1) Shaq
2) When he underperformed in the Finals (practically every time) he usually has a stacked enough supporting cast to bail him out.

stalkerforlife
04-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Hes not. Coz the real finals was in the west. Kobe is the type of guy who plays down to the competition. He knows hes the best by destroying the best teams, so no need to statpad against weaker teams. Only the insecures like bran does that.

Yep.

VERY insightful.

stalkerforlife
04-02-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm so tired of this "his 01 & 02 rings don't count cuz Shaq"

let's just ignore his greatness leading into the finals for both years (where he led the team in scoring and assist) and focus on the finals.

Since when does capping off your great PO runs with finals of 25/8/6 and 27/6/5 put a damper on your ring?

FFS, Kareem has a finals of 13/4 while winning, Magic has a finals where his team won and he didn't even lead the team in ppg or apg for the finals, Duncan won while scoring 20ppg on 47% TS and hasn't won a FMVP in 10+ years, Bird in 81 put up 15ppg on 41%, Shaq won averaging 13ppg and nobody says a damn thing about these guys and those rings. Almost every great player has had a less than spectacular finals while winning the series and I wouldn't call what Kobe did in 01 or the 02 finals less than spectacular, they were pretty good during those years.

Ether.

Cold soul
04-02-2016, 10:53 PM
you sound like every tpical casual moron, for the sake of people with a brain, log off

Go **** yourself queer boy. Get a life you keyboard warrior. You truly are pathetic troll.

jstern
04-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Perhaps the same thing can be said for Kareem.

Was he a poor Finals performer? And if so, were his teams good enough that they still won despite poor Finals performances?

If so, then the same could be said for Kareem.

SouBeachTalents
04-02-2016, 11:01 PM
Perhaps the same thing can be said for Kareem.

Was he a poor Finals performer? And if so, were his teams good enough that they still won despite poor Finals performances?

If so, then the same could be said for Kareem.

They did win a title with Kareem averaging 13 & 4 on 41% in the '88 Finals, dude was 40 years old though

Dray n Klay
04-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Replace Kobe with Jamal Crawford and he still goes 5/7, thats the difference

34-24 Footwork
04-03-2016, 01:36 AM
Replace Kobe with Jamal Crawford and he still goes 5/7, thats the difference

Replace Lebron james with Joe Johnson in 2011, the heat 3peat.

Shih508
04-03-2016, 04:14 AM
David Stern & Rigging

MP.Trey
04-03-2016, 05:35 AM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Shaquille+O+Neal+Pau+Gasol+Los+Angeles+Lakers+dRE0 5_gqIFLl.jpg

ArbitraryWater
04-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Go **** yourself queer boy. Get a life you keyboard warrior. You truly are pathetic troll.

:cletus:

:hammertime:

Dray n Klay
04-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Kobe's teams only went 5/7 instead of 7/7 because he was a poor finals performer

People forget he was the favourite in every Finals

DMAVS41
04-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Kobe's teams only went 5/7 instead of 7/7 because he was a poor finals performer

People forget he was the favourite in every Finals

Poor is overstating...

He just wasn't a "great" finals performer.

Also, being favorites in 08 doesn't make them a better team. I agree that that series could/should have looked different if Kobe played up to his standards, but it was also clear the 08 Celtics were the better team imo.

Kobe is getting way too much hate on here now. He's had one of the 10 or so best careers ever and even if you aren't a big fan (like me) he's one of the best players ever.

He has his flaws and at times was over-rated in a few areas that really bothered me, but this notion that he just wasn't an all time amazing player is silly.

Dude was one of the best to ever lace them up...without a doubt

feyki
04-03-2016, 11:00 AM
I don't think he was bad at any finals , other than 2004 and 2000 . He had personality problems in 2004 and also had injury problems at 2000 Finals .

His others five Finals Numbers ( approximatively ) ;

26-27 Pts , 5.5 RB , 5.5 Ast , %53 TS , 25-26 PER and against generally 1th Defence of the League ( probably against 100 Defensive Rating Teams ) .

But that 5/7 stuff is bullshit . That's like destiny . You cannot control the destiny .

warriorfan
04-03-2016, 11:06 AM
lebron stans are usually made up of nerds and canadians

Vertical-24
04-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Poor is overstating...

He just wasn't a "great" finals performer.

Also, being favorites in 08 doesn't make them a better team. I agree that that series could/should have looked different if Kobe played up to his standards, but it was also clear the 08 Celtics were the better team imo.

Kobe is getting way too much hate on here now. He's had one of the 10 or so best careers ever and even if you aren't a big fan (like me) he's one of the best players ever.

He has his flaws and at times was over-rated in a few areas that really bothered me, but this notion that he just wasn't an all time amazing player is silly.

Dude was one of the best to ever lace them up...without a doubt

:applause:

What I always liked about you, DMAVS, is that even though you weren't the biggest Kobe/Laker fan...you were always fair and reasonable in your analysis. There is a new layer of ISH who don't care nearly as much about basketball as they do bashing Kobe/Bron. Every basketball legend deserves a semblence of "respect" from any basketball fan, and that's what seperates true fans from bandwagoners/trolls.

Btw, Dirk is having an impressive individual season bro. Gonna be sad when he hangs them up as well. Its the end of an era man, we're just privileged to get a chance to live through it :cheers:

pauk
04-04-2016, 10:34 AM
Why is John Havlicek 8/8 if he's a poor Finals performer? Why shouldnt he then be ranked higher than Kobe?

Why is Scottie Pippen 6/6 if he's a poor Finals performer?

Why is Robert Horry 7/7 if he's a poor Finals performer?

and so on and so on and so on and so on.......

Not saying they are, neither do i think Kobe is a poor Finals performer (i do however think he wasnt so great / was worse there only compared to a couple of players all-time, which unfortunately for you/your agenda includes Lebron)... but i think you get the point to the literal logic of "Why does somebody still win when they play bad/underperform"? If you dont then your answer is: Because this is a team game, if your supporting cast is incredible/deep enough they can cancel out the game you underperform and still win, in Finals even sometimes with you as the lead dog not getting the fmvp..... see last Finals for a fantastic example...

As far as the X of X in Finals stat goes, again... it means nothing, if he was 5/20 his career would be identical, NOTHING would change... infact actually, he would probably be ranked even higher considering the career would actually been more accomplished because that means he won 13 more Western Conference Championships / didnt choke earlier than Finals 13 more times / went deeper-showed more team impact 13 more times (which also includes MANY more epic clutch shots & performances as THAT was required for his team to get deeper into playoffs 13 more times)....

I know why that X of X in Finals stat agenda is used by Kobetards / against whom.. but you need to let it go, it makes you look stupid because IT is stupid... you think you are boosting/disrespecting Kobe/Lebron.... but you are disrespecting even Kobe himself (as explained why above) & ANY Finals team - player in NBA history.... let it go...

Spurs5Rings2014
04-04-2016, 10:11 PM
As far as the X of X in Finals stat goes, again... it means nothing, if he was 5/20 his career would be identical, NOTHING would change... infact actually, he would probably be ranked even higher

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cold soul
04-04-2016, 11:14 PM
I don't think he was bad at any finals , other than 2004 and 2000 . He had personality problems in 2004 and also had injury problems at 2000 Finals .

His others five Finals Numbers ( approximatively ) ;

26-27 Pts , 5.5 RB , 5.5 Ast , %53 TS , 25-26 PER and against generally 1th Defence of the League ( probably against 100 Defensive Rating Teams ) .

But that 5/7 stuff is bullshit . That's like destiny . You cannot control the destiny .

Yeah 00/04 Finals were bad showing for Kobe no doubt he he's been solid in other Final series just nothing great other than 09 against Magic.

Prime_Shaq
04-04-2016, 11:17 PM
Yeah 00/04 Finals were bad showing for Kobe no doubt he he's been solid in other Final series just nothing great other than 09 against Magic.
Couldn't really expect much from him in 2000 as it was his first time and playing a backseat role. To me his 2004 is the only Finals taint in his career, kinda like 2011 for LeBron.