PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Pippen says '95-96 Bulls would sweep Warriors

SpaceJam
04-03-2016, 09:23 AM
https://twitter.com/himynameisseton/status/716310251310592000

Pippen - I would put Michael on Klay, I think my size and length would bother him (Curry)

Pippen being modest smh, that THICKNESS would play a part too bro

westsideozzie
04-03-2016, 09:29 AM

They got no one to guard Jordan. The Bulls would switch everything and the Warriors have no answer for Kukoc.

Dr Hawk
04-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Pippen would DENY Curry.

He, just like the cheetahs, used his thick tail to balance himself and chase his opponents

http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/a1YNZdD_460s.jpg

SpaceJam
04-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Pippen would DENY Curry.

He, just like the cheetahs, used his thick tail to balance himself and chase his opponents

http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/a1YNZdD_460s.jpg

Slightly off topic, but Kobe's take on a cheetah I remember seeing a while ago is great :oldlol:

[QUOTE]

lilteapot
04-03-2016, 11:59 AM
They got no one to guard Jordan. The Bulls would switch everything and the Warriors have no answer for Kukoc.
The Warriors would switch everything too. Lol how would they have no answer for Kukoc? They switch Klay onto Michael then Iggy or Draymond would guard Pippen, and vice versa. Draymond can definitely guard Kukoc and bogut can check Longley.

Jasper
04-03-2016, 12:36 PM

No sense in posting these trivial comments.
We all know the Bulls would kick their a$$.

GreatHILL
04-03-2016, 12:42 PM
No sense in posting these trivial comments.
We all know the Bulls would kick their a$$.

in 95/96 this warriors team would not even make the playoffs

34-24 Footwork
04-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Depends on which era their playing in.

Bulls sweep the Warriors in the 90's-early 2000's.

Warriors castrate the Bulls 2006-current.

sekachu
04-03-2016, 12:46 PM

MJ is more ideal to guard curry because he is quicker than Pippen. Can't believe pippen said that.

AirBonner
04-03-2016, 12:55 PM
MJ is more ideal to guard curry because he is quicker than Pippen. Can't believe pippen said that.
Why have Jordan on him? Steve Kerr would be enough for Curry.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-03-2016, 01:40 PM
They wouldn't sweep Golden State, but with the old rules I just don't see how the Warriors (a perimeter oriented team) stay nearly as efficient against 2 of the greatest perimeter defenders of ALL TIME.

Facing the Bulls under today's climate would help them eminently, although I would imagine PRIME MJ and Pippen could be "Delly" for at least several games in a series. :lol

kamil
04-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Bulls starting 5 are way better than the Warriors starting 5. That's not even a question.

The bench though, is where the Warriors excel.

SexSymbol
04-03-2016, 01:55 PM
The advanced defensive systems of today would suffocate Bulls to a range of 90-100 points.
Given the fact that the players from that era were not really good long range defenders as there weren't that much shooting from there, Curry and Klay would have a field day with these fools.
Rodman would dominate Draygod, but Warriors would be more likely to win, especially in a 7 game series.
I'd say 4-2 warriors

navy
04-03-2016, 01:59 PM
They wouldn't sweep Golden State, but with the old rules I just don't see how the Warriors (a perimeter oriented team) stay nearly as efficient against 2 of the greatest perimeter defenders of ALL TIME.

Facing the Bulls under today's climate would help them eminently, although I would imagine PRIME MJ and Pippen could be "Delly" for at least several games in a series. :lol

MJ and Pippen would have a hard time getting through all the illegal screens the Warriors set.

Smoke117
04-03-2016, 02:00 PM

uh...Pippen was always better at defending smaller guards because of how much his length bothered them and cut off the court.

jstern
04-03-2016, 02:10 PM
I think he's being sincere. He's not an era guy, in the sense that he even dared to say that Lebron might be better than Jordan.

GreatHILL
04-03-2016, 02:15 PM
pippen also would sweep a bottle of vodka

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-03-2016, 02:17 PM
I think he's being sincere. He's not an era guy, in the sense that he even dared to say that Lebron might be better than Jordan.

He's not an "era guy", but resentment and jealously were also traits in Pippen's character.

To this day, I still think he got off lightly for deliberately sitting out the last possession in that Knicks series. Today? That's a PR disaster.

Da_Realist
04-03-2016, 02:25 PM
96 Bulls match up very well to the Warriors

Shih508
04-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Depends on who the commissioner is

David Stern, Bulls in 5

Adam Silver, Warriors in 6 or 7 lol

GreatHILL
04-03-2016, 04:35 PM
the fagdubs would never handle rodman let alone to win a game against the bulls :oldlol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DmDq2DASUE

kurple
04-03-2016, 04:40 PM
The Warriors would switch everything too. Lol how would they have no answer for Kukoc? They switch Klay onto Michael then Iggy or Draymond would guard Pippen, and vice versa. Draymond can definitely guard Kukoc and bogut can check Longley.
Klay would be eaten alive by Jordan

aj1987
04-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Delusional ****tard. Just like Dr. Retard and the Big Dumbass.

This is coming from someone who HATES the Warriors, BTW.

andgar923
04-03-2016, 06:54 PM
As others noted, they wouldn't 'sweep' but they would beat them.

I can see the Warriors beating them 1 game, and making it close at least 2 more.

You aint bout to play MJ 1 on 1 that's for sure.

MJ would Suns the Warriors.

andgar923
04-03-2016, 06:57 PM

You do know MJ will need a double team.

Oh wait...

Playing modern day rules?

Scratch that

You do know MJ will need a triple team.

oarabbus
04-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Curry would send MJ home crying like when he got cut from the high school basketball team. Warriors in 1, bulls forfeit.

AirBonner
04-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Curry would send MJ home crying like when he got cut from the high school basketball team. Warriors in 1, bulls forfeit.
Curry would be lucky to average 15ppg

PP34Deuce
04-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Match up actually doesn't favor Golden State too much.

Pippen guards Klay and takes him out the game 2 times.
MJ and Harper get physical and pick their spots with Curry.
Rodman cancels out Green

Bench to Golden State but I believe match up wise, Bulls have 2 slashers that in today's game could get ot the free throw line at will.

Inferno
04-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Well, honestly, MJ on Klay probably wouldn't be a pretty sight :cry: Klay will have to show up in the playoffs this year for me to judge this comparison more accurately...

bdreason
04-04-2016, 05:55 PM
They didn't sweep the Knicks or Sonics. They wouldn't sweep the Warriors either.

Optimus Prime
04-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Pip is totally correct. These Warriors are a direct result of years and years of the NBA being transformed into Charmin. Players can't play defense any more, especially on the perimeter, and post play has become basically extinct because of the rules changes favoring perimeter players and 3-point shootouts.

MJ would destroy everything, Pip would shut down Curry big time, and Rodman would average like 30 rebounds per game. It wouldn't even be close.

:kobe:

Da_Realist
04-04-2016, 06:18 PM
They didn't sweep the Knicks or Sonics. They wouldn't sweep the Warriors either.

Sonics and Knicks have nothing to do with the Warriors. Different teams, philosophies, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Lebron23
04-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Pip is totally correct. These Warriors are a direct result of years and years of the NBA being transformed into Charmin. Players can't play defense any more, especially on the perimeter, and post play has become basically extinct because of the rules changes favoring perimeter players and 3-point shootouts.

MJ would destroy everything, Pip would shut down Curry big time, and Rodman would average like 30 rebounds per game. It wouldn't even be close.

First time I agree with your posts. Curry would still be an elite player in the 1990's, but he won't average over 28 ppg with the older rules.

FKAri
04-04-2016, 06:33 PM

That's exactly why the Bulls wouldn't crush the Warriors. Because the league has changed so much; because it is so soft. The Warriors are the epitome of today's league. Unless, ofcourse, you're talking about playing with the old rules.

zbott
04-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Bulls sweep in older era ..... 4-1 or 4-2 in this era ...

Optimus Prime
04-04-2016, 06:42 PM

The Riley Knicks played ferocious defense and would beat up these little Warrior kids. They would hold the Warriors to 60 PPG and send them all crying to mommy.

https://insidemiamisports.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/pat-riley-shhh.png

Come on, man.

Da_Realist
04-04-2016, 06:48 PM
That's exactly why the Bulls wouldn't crush the Warriors. Because the league has changed so much; because it is so soft. The Warriors are the epitome of today's league. Unless, ofcourse, you're talking about playing with the old rules.

You're forgetting that the Warriors couldn't touch the Bulls either. Today's lanes are wide open. Look at the Sonics Bulls games to see how hard those guys made MJ work to get the ball in the post. Can't wrestle him today. He'd just waltz to the block, turnaround and shoot. Or pump fake and dunk (look at all the layups today's guards get after beating their man). He wouldn't even get tired. Pippen too.

Meanwhile, Bulls have MJ, Pippen, Harper and Randy Brown to throw on Steph. They could take turns to keep everyone fresh. Rodman would do a good job defending Green and making him work. Bulls match up well against Golden State whichever era you want to talk about.

Marchesk
04-04-2016, 07:23 PM
I think that Sonics team would have matched up real well with the Warriors too. They had excellent perimeter defense. Would be interesting seeing Payton on Curry and Green on Kemp.

FKAri
04-04-2016, 07:50 PM
You're forgetting that the Warriors couldn't touch the Bulls either. Today's lanes are wide open. Look at the Sonics Bulls games to see how hard those guys made MJ work to get the ball in the post. Can't wrestle him today. He'd just waltz to the block, turnaround and shoot. Or pump fake and dunk (look at all the layups today's guards get after beating their man). He wouldn't even get tired. Pippen too.

Meanwhile, Bulls have MJ, Pippen, Harper and Randy Brown to throw on Steph. They could take turns to keep everyone fresh. Rodman would do a good job defending Green and making him work. Bulls match up well against Golden State whichever era you want to talk about.

Lanes are wide open only because players can shoot 3's. This is not an era specific thing at all. The lanes would be wide open in any era where off ball shooters are a bigger threat than drives to the lane.

The Bulls defense has never played against a team even remotely as good at shooting as the Warriors. That being said, the Bulls' defense actually has some very good tools to deal with the Warriors. Namely the ability for their wings to guard multiple positions and switch seamlessly.

The biggest thing the Bulls have going for them is Michael Jordan (duh). You have MJ with no handchecking. And in 96 he's still fast enough to blow by anyone. The biggest plus however, is that he's already got that jumper perfected. That jumper is going to be even more valuable to him in today's NBA than it ever was in his career. 90's MJ translates much better to today's league than 80's MJ. As great as year1-3 MJ was and looked he wouldn't look as good in today's league. Whereas first 3peat MJ (hell 90's MJ in general) might be even scarier now than he was in his time. That's just my personal opinion.

CuterThanRubio
04-04-2016, 07:55 PM
The Bulls NEVER swept in the finals, yet all of a sudden they are going to sweep the best team of all time?

I'm not buying it.

They allowed JOHN STOCKTON to drop 15 and 8 on them while shooting 50 and 40.

Talk about lockdown perimeter defense.

Curry would torch them and shoot 70 percent from the floor.

Da_Realist
04-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Lanes are wide open only because players can shoot 3's. This is not an era specific thing at all. The lanes would be wide open in any era where off ball shooters are a bigger threat than drives to the lane.

The Bulls defense has never played against a team even remotely as good at shooting as the Warriors. That being said, the Bulls' defense actually has some very good tools to deal with the Warriors. Namely the ability for their wings to guard multiple positions and switch seamlessly.

The biggest thing the Bulls have going for them is Michael Jordan (duh). You have MJ with no handchecking. And in 96 he's still fast enough to blow by anyone. The biggest plus however, is that he's already got that jumper perfected. That jumper is going to be even more valuable to him in today's NBA than it ever was in his career. 90's MJ translates much better to today's league than 80's MJ. As great as year1-3 MJ was and looked he wouldn't look as good in today's league. Whereas first 3peat MJ (hell 90's MJ in general) might be even scarier now than he was in his time. That's just my personal opinion.

Early MJ would be much, much better than Russell Westbrook, who gets to the rim at will.

AirBonner
04-04-2016, 08:02 PM
The Bulls NEVER swept in the finals, yet all of a sudden they are going to sweep the best team of all time?

I'm not buying it.

Doubt it. Just like he torched the celtics :lol

90sgoat
04-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Early MJ would be much, much better than Russell Westbrook, who gets to the rim at will.

These Jordan haters have no logic.

Russel Westbrook who doesn't have a jumpshot scores damn near 30 points with 10 assists and the guy who averaged 32-8-8 in the 80s and was a far superior player, MVP, DPOY in a league with Bird and Magic, wouldn't completely annihilate this league?

James Harden who has NO midrange game gets to the hoop and line at will with only a pump fake and 1-2-3 steps scores 30ppg.

People are forgetting, this is also MJ with an extra gather step, this is MJ beating his man with a quick shimmy then taking ONE dribble then 1-2-3 into a lane that is open because of defensive 3 seconds.

We'd miss out on a lot of MJ's posters because there wouldn't be any big man quick enough to cover that ground once MJ gets his 1-2-3 gather step.

CuterThanRubio
04-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Doubt it. Just like he torched the celtics :lol

A modern team with modern defensive schemes and philosophies is more capable of discovering successful techniques to stop their gameplan.

Lets not forget how the mighty mighty 96 bulls got ROASTED by REX CHAPMAN and DAMON STOUDAMIRE.

Two can play that game.

andgar923
04-04-2016, 09:12 PM
A modern team with modern defensive schemes and philosophies is more capable of discovering successful techniques to stop their gameplan.

Lets not forget how the mighty mighty 96 bulls got ROASTED by REX CHAPMAN and DAMON STOUDAMIRE.

Two can play that game.
It's one thing to get hot one game when nobody is expecting it. It's another when the defense is geared to stop someone.

Not saying Curry would be utterly shut down, but he sure as **** won't be scorching the Bulls.

Curry would get brought down to reality.

CuterThanRubio
04-04-2016, 09:30 PM
It's one thing to get hot one game when nobody is expecting it. It's another when the defense is geared to stop someone.

Not saying Curry would be utterly shut down, but he sure as **** won't be scorching the Bulls.

Curry would get brought down to reality.

You don't think every single team the Warriors face are gameplanning to stop Curry?

Of course they are, but it very seldom works.

The Bulls gameplanned to stop John Stockton but he still shot 50 and 40 against them, imagine what Curry could do.

FKAri
04-04-2016, 09:36 PM

These Jordan haters have no logic.

Russel Westbrook who doesn't have a jumpshot scores damn near 30 points with 10 assists and the guy who averaged 32-8-8 in the 80s and was a far superior player, MVP, DPOY in a league with Bird and Magic, wouldn't completely annihilate this league?

James Harden who has NO midrange game gets to the hoop and line at will with only a pump fake and 1-2-3 steps scores 30ppg.

People are forgetting, this is also MJ with an extra gather step, this is MJ beating his man with a quick shimmy then taking ONE dribble then 1-2-3 into a lane that is open because of defensive 3 seconds.

We'd miss out on a lot of MJ's posters because there wouldn't be any big man quick enough to cover that ground once MJ gets his 1-2-3 gather step.

Take 1987 MJ and take 1993 MJ. Which one has the bigger improvement in performance in today's NBA. I say 93 MJ. That's all.

I guess that makes me a Jordan hater.

Sarcastic
04-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Modern defenses can't do anything to stop perimeter players, and Jordan is the GOAT perimeter player. Pretty sure he would have his way with the Dubs.

andgar923
04-04-2016, 09:56 PM
You don't think every single team the Warriors face are gameplanning to stop Curry?

Of course they are, but it very seldom works.

The Bulls gameplanned to stop John Stockton but he still shot 50 and 40 against them, imagine what Curry could do.
Keep exposing yourself as a stat watcher and not an actual game watcher.

You expose yourself to everyone with every click of you're keyboard.

CuterThanRubio
04-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Keep exposing yourself as a stat watcher and not an actual game watcher.

You expose yourself to everyone with every click of you're keyboard.

DEFLECTION!

Nice job ignoring my previous post, are you going to act like you were watching 90s ball on a regular basis?

Yeah, right!

Don't make me start chopping screenshots of John Stockton getting left wide open in the finals.

You truly don't think Curry could score at a greater rate than him?

DELUSION!

I've watched more games and dissected more footage than the majority of people posting here, believe that.

Not to mention I can actually play, have you ever dunked before, Andgar? I doubt it! I've thrown down thousands of jams and nailed plenty of deep threes in my lifetime, you are just a sloppy armchair critic getting HEATED because I'm dropping major TRUTH on your empty skull!

andgar923
04-04-2016, 10:13 PM
DEFLECTION!

Nice job ignoring my previous post, are you going to act like you were watching 90s ball on a regular basis?

Yeah, right!

Don't make me start chopping screenshots of John Stockton getting left wide open in the finals.

DELUSION!

I've watched more games and dissected more footage than the majority of people posting here, believe that.

Not to mention I can actually play, have you ever dunked before, Andgar? I doubt it! I've thrown down thousands of jams and nailed plenty of deep threes in my lifetime, you are just a sloppy armchair critic getting HEATED because I'm dropping major TRUTH on your empty skull!
You're not fooling anyone.

You type like a phony.

And you exposed yourself once again with your post on Stockton.

But you probably too stupid to even know. Let me give you a hint:

Maybe the Bulls weren't concerned with John scoring? Ever think he wasn't their main scoring threat?

That's just for starters, but I can obliterate every single word you post from my phone.

$LakerGold
04-04-2016, 10:34 PM
DEFLECTION!

Yeah, right!

DELUSION!

Cringe. :mad:

CuterThanRubio
04-05-2016, 12:14 AM
You're not fooling anyone.

You type like a phony.

And you exposed yourself once again with your post on Stockton.

But you probably too stupid to even know. Let me give you a hint:

Maybe the Bulls weren't concerned with John scoring? Ever think he wasn't their main scoring threat?

That's just for starters, but I can obliterate every single word you post from my phone.

LMAO! What does that even mean? I hope you realize that this is fun for me, I just can't believe how stubborn oldschool NBA fans are about this topic. I think its pretty clear that modern basketball is superior, and I'm standing by it.

Let's be real for a second, shall we?

Make an attempt to remove your OVERWHELMING feelings of ANGER towards me and observe the FACT that the Bulls NEVER swept an opponent in the finals.

Scottie says the Bulls would SWEEP the Warriors, a team that has a chance to end up being the greatest ever.

Does that sound logical to you?

It seems pretty ridiculous to the average LEVEL HEADED individual.

:coleman:

EDIT: I shouldn't have to apologize if I disagree with the opinions of SLOPPY armchair sports critics, I'm too busy TAKING FLIGHT!

http://imgur.com/kE7X2M6

You want to talk about phony lol, where you at? Crying over 20 year old sporting events, jeez, its time to get with the program!

stephanieg
04-05-2016, 12:28 AM
The Dubs wouldn't even have to pretend to guard Rodman.

CavaliersFTW
04-05-2016, 12:34 AM

http://s24.postimg.org/6sf9h658l/ucantbanme.jpg

SpaceJam
04-05-2016, 12:54 AM
http://s24.postimg.org/6sf9h658l/ucantbanme.jpg

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

ballinhun8
04-05-2016, 01:17 AM
LMAO! What does that even mean? I hope you realize that this is fun for me, I just can't believe how stubborn oldschool NBA fans are about this topic. I think its pretty clear that modern basketball is superior, and I'm standing by it.

Make an attempt to remove your OVERWHELMING feelings of ANGER towards me and observe the FACT that the Bulls NEVER swept an opponent in the finals.

Scottie says the Bulls would SWEEP the Warriors, a team that has a chance to end up being the greatest ever.

EDIT: I shouldn't have to apologize if I disagree with the opinions of SLOPPY armchair sports critics, I'm too busy TAKING FLIGHT!

You want to talk about phony lol, where you at? Crying over 20 year old sporting events, jeez, its time to get with the program!

Newsflash bro, no one actually believes you can ball.

The fact of the matter is you have never even picked up a basketball in your sad pathetic non-athletic life. You barely even know the color of a basketball. The most accomplished thing you have ever done related to basketball was get drafted into the NBDL in your My Player mode for 2k16.

Leave the basketball talk for the people who actually have seen more than one era.

Prime_Shaq
04-05-2016, 01:20 AM
I think Bulls would win but it won't be a sweep.

greymatter
04-05-2016, 01:58 AM
Today's rules with no illegal defense, Warriors would win. Wouldn't even be all that close. 4-1 or 4-2 tops. Jordan and Pippen are both 32% career 3 pt shooters (even worse if you consider that they had a few years where their % was inflated due to the shorter line) . The Warriors wouldn't have to respect their outside shooting at all.

If I'm Klay or Curry, I'd sag off them all day and deny them driving lanes into the paint. Dare them to shoot 3s or long twos all day while keeping someone at home at all times on the Bulls' only reliable 3 pt shooter (Steve Kerr or Jud Buechler). Pack the paint and make them win shooting mid or long range jumpers. It's a simple fact of life that in today's NBA that you're not going to win a title if you don't have reliable 3 pt shooters.

The Bulls' defense was structured to deal with those 90s era offenses. Rodman and Luc Longley simply would be completely out of their element trying to chase shooters off the 3 pt line when the Dubs go small with Draymond at the 5. Rodman would be minimally impactful defensively since the Dubs don't play in low post. He always hated to go out to guard anyone on the perimeter because he always wanted to be in the paint to rebound. Draymond Green has vastly improved his 3pt shooting this season (.386) and against Rodman, he'd light it up.

The only way the Bulls keep it close and win is if they outrebound the Dubs by 20+ boards a game.

Under 90s era rules the Bulls would do much better offensively bc of illegal defense allowing far easier penetration and larger passing lanes for elite isolation players, but they'd also struggle even more defensively against the Warriors. I'd run a 2 man game with Curry and Draymon with nonstop high screens 23-30 ft away while having the other 3 guys as far away as possible. Steph either buries 12+ 3s a game or Draymon gets 15 assists a game finding wide open shooters when the Bulls are forced to double Curry on the PNR.

The Warriors combination of skills and style of play translates into success in any era. The 96 Bulls team is a poor 3pt shooting team by today's standards. Rodman's 55% ft shooting would almost certainly mean that the Warriors could force the Bulls to take him out in close games because they could keep fouling him, then the Bulls lose their rebounding edge.

In short: No-Tippin Pippen is a salty, broke-ass retard.

oh the horror
04-05-2016, 02:21 AM
Today's rules with no illegal defense, Warriors would win. Wouldn't even be all that close. 4-1 or 4-2 tops. Jordan and Pippen are both 32% career 3 pt shooters (even worse if you consider that they had a few years where their % was inflated due to the shorter line) . The Warriors wouldn't have to respect their outside shooting at all.

If I'm Klay or Curry, I'd sag off them all day and deny them driving lanes into the paint. Dare them to shoot 3s or long twos all day while keeping someone at home at all times on the Bulls' only reliable 3 pt shooter (Steve Kerr or Jud Buechler). Pack the paint and make them win shooting mid or long range jumpers. It's a simple fact of life that in today's NBA that you're not going to win a title if you don't have reliable 3 pt shooters.

The Bulls' defense was structured to deal with those 90s era offenses. Rodman and Luc Longley simply would be completely out of their element trying to chase shooters off the 3 pt line when the Dubs go small with Draymond at the 5. Rodman would be minimally impactful defensively since the Dubs don't play in low post. He always hated to go out to guard anyone on the perimeter because he always wanted to be in the paint to rebound. Draymond Green has vastly improved his 3pt shooting this season (.386) and against Rodman, he'd light it up.

The only way the Bulls keep it close and win is if they outrebound the Dubs by 20+ boards a game.

Under 90s era rules the Bulls would do much better offensively bc of illegal defense allowing far easier penetration and larger passing lanes for elite isolation players, but they'd also struggle even more defensively against the Warriors. I'd run a 2 man game with Curry and Draymon with nonstop high screens 23-30 ft away while having the other 3 guys as far away as possible. Steph either buries 12+ 3s a game or Draymon gets 15 assists a game finding wide open shooters when the Bulls are forced to double Curry on the PNR.

The Warriors combination of skills and style of play translates into success in any era. The 96 Bulls team is a poor 3pt shooting team by today's standards. Rodman's 55% ft shooting would almost certainly mean that the Warriors could force the Bulls to take him out in close games because they could keep fouling him, then the Bulls lose their rebounding edge.

4-1 Warriors? :yaohappy:

Stop. Just stop.

You're not beating a team with Jordan and Pippen on it in 5 games with today's rules where you can't touch a damn wing player on defense.

You can just TELL this dude has never seen that Bulls team play. And I don't give a shit what lie you feed me.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-05-2016, 02:26 AM
First time I agree with your posts. Curry would still be an elite player in the 1990's, but he won't average over 28 ppg with the older rules.
Steph at best would be a better Mark Price and the gap isnt that large:confusedshrug:

Fiasco
04-05-2016, 02:29 AM
Kerr wins either way, eh.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 06:44 AM

Today's defense doesn't force teams to shoot 25 three point shots a game. Teams shoot that because they are one dimensional. The triangle offense would work just fine today with the court spread out and you can't stunt guys cutting across the lane. If you overplay, MJ and Pip were masters at the backdoor cut. In fact, the Warriors have never played a team with as much player and ball movement as the Bulls. Except maybe the Spurs. Every other team is one dimensional -- they stand around the 3 pt line playing patty cake with the ball until someone decides to go one-on-one.

Tim Legler (guard, Washington Bullets): The Bulls were the greatest defensive team I have ever played against. The amount of ground they could cover with their length and athletic ability was just different than every other team I played against.

Dubs small ball plays right into the Bulls hands.

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/from-the-courts/rosen-90s-bulls-handle-warriors/

Given that the Warriors’ most potent offense is their small-ball lineup, here’s the five that they would play for much of the game: Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes and Iguodala.

Here’s how the Bulls would respond:

CURRY VS. PIPPEN. Pip’s length, quickness, aggressiveness and defensive genius would put Curry in a cage. Sure, Curry might hit a few 30-footers, but not enough of them to put his team over the top. Plus, Pippen would also turn several of Curry’s fancy dribblings into turnovers. At the other end, Pippen would be too big, too long and too versatile for Curry to contain.

THOMPSON VS. MJ. At both ends of the court, His Airness would turn Thompson into the Invisible Man.

BARNES VS. KUKOC. The two would trade scores and even each other out.

GREEN VS. RODMAN. The Worm’s relentless defense, full-court racing and zany antics would have Green mumbling to himself.

IGUODALA VS. HARPER. A pair of wily veterans with Harp sacrificing his own (limited) offense to play stout-hearted defense, and Iggy being free to focus on scoring. This might be the only slot where the Warriors would have a significant advantage.

With virtually all of its defensive parts being interchangeable, the Bulls wouldn’t be unhappy if they had to switch on screen/rolls. The only caveat here being a situation where Kukoc would have to guard Thompson or Curry.

With Rodman on the loose, the Bulls would own the boards and could also outrun the Warriors.

Yes, Golden State plays excellent defense. But the Triangle, when executed to perfection by extremely talented players, is impossible to adequately defend. And the 1995-96 Bulls fulfill both requirements. Furthermore, Chicago’s defense was significantly better than Golden State’s.

With MJ, Pippen, Harper and Kukoc working the paint, the Dubs would be over the foul limit late in games anyway. Plus, you'd be crazy to risk it knowing MJ will have the ball in his hands most of the fourth quarter. You'd be making his job easy by sending him to the line on every single foul call. Plus plus, MJ is sort of used to dealing with double teams. Rodman doesn't need to shoot. He'd just pass to MJ, who'd score anyway. And if he misses? There's no one to block Rodman out!

aj1987
04-05-2016, 07:13 AM
Curry would be lucky to average 15ppg
In like 5 minutes of playing, probably. The Bulls would just quit after the beatdown in 5.

Bawkish
04-05-2016, 07:39 AM
People forget that Triangle Offense is probably the best offensive play because it can be very effective against in every defense

it doesn't rely on set plays, it flows on how the defense reacts. That's why the Bulls were also successful is partly because they run the offense smoothly

soots
04-05-2016, 08:32 AM
They matchup well to the warriors, but the new rules favor the warriors too much. ISO is out the window, and even though you cant breath on MJ, he would have to run through a jungle for every high percentage shot inside he wanted to take. And you cant play GSW 1-1 straight up. they have screens and switches out the wazoo. Its a far far far more technical game today and you need good help team defense.

We arent talking about Sonics/Jazz here (struggled to win).

andgar923
04-05-2016, 08:47 AM

This kid is delusional, and knows nothing about the game other than looking at the stats.

You don't understand matchups, strategy, dynamics, etc.etc.

Because if the Bulls did play the Warriors they would make Curry their no.1 defensive priority. They wouldn't have Kerr on him, it would be this guy

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/scottievkd.jpg

And this guy

http://www.hoopsjunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/561x380.jpg

And if Dellie can defend the f*ck outta Curry, what makes you think a duo with 17 All Defensive First Teams between them won't be able to?

:confusedshrug:

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 08:50 AM
They matchup well to the warriors, but the new rules favor the warriors too much. ISO is out the window, and even though you cant breath on MJ, he would have to run through a jungle for every high percentage shot inside he wanted to take. And you cant play GSW 1-1 straight up. they have screens and switches out the wazoo. Its a far far far more technical game today and you need good help team defense.

We arent talking about Sonics/Jazz here (struggled to win).

It's so much easier to score today it's ridiculous. Especially for a technical expert like MJ who could beat you one-on-one or kill you with his off ball game. Better than Lebron, Westbrook, Harden who all score easily with 1/3 MJ's game.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 08:51 AM
This kid is delusional, and knows nothing about the game other than looking at the stats.

You don't understand matchups, strategy, dynamics, etc.etc.

Because if the Bulls did play the Warriors they would make Curry their no.1 defensive priority. They wouldn't have Kerr on him, it would be this guy

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/scottievkd.jpg

And this guy

http://www.hoopsjunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/561x380.jpg

And if Dellie can defend the f*ck outta Curry, what makes you think a duo with 17 All Defensive First Teams between them won't be able to?

:confusedshrug:

Let's not forget Harper and Brown just to give Steph a different look and keep him off balance.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 08:58 AM
I think the bulls could take them, but Pip is getting ahead of himself with the sweep talk. It'd matter most which set of rules and which 3 point line they play with. For them to eliminate curry as much as possible they'd need Pippen on Green and Mj on Curry. Not Harper, cause he'd get roasted something serious. Also their ability to cover Curry would hinge on whether or not they are handchecking. If they can't handcheck Steph they're in the same boat as the rest of the league but with no experience playing hands off defense. All in all:

90s rules, bulls win

Current rules warriors win.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 09:03 AM
I think it's assuming too much to expect Curry to beat the Bulls by himself under any rules. Too much defensive attention from the best perimeter defensive team in NBA history.

It will also be difficult to stop Chicago from scoring due to matchup issues, triangle offense and easy scores off the many careless turnovers the Warriors commit. That's not counting the turnovers the Bulls would force them to commit.

andgar923
04-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Btw... THIS is what Mj would do to Curry.

1992 Finals - Drexler, a top 5 SG of all-time, had 25 ppg on a poor 40.7% FG in the 1992 Finals after 25 ppg on 47% in the regular season, and most of his points came in transition or on other defenders when Jordan was not guarding him. Jordan completely locked him down.

1993 Finals, Game 3 - Kevin Johnson scored 23 points before Jordan guarded him with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter. KJ had 2 points the rest of the game including the 3 overtimes. Kevin Johnson is one of 3 players in history (Oscar + Isiah) to average 20-10 for 3 straight years, and before running into Gary Payton in the 1993 WCF, KJ averaged 19.6 ppg and 9.4 apg on 53% in the 1993 Playoffs which was just short of his 20-10 mark.

Contrary to popular belief, Jordan would
taken on the tougher playoff matchups
than Pippen and did a better job
the majority of the time
1996 Finals - With Ron Harper's knee injury limiting him to 1 minute in both Games 3 and 5, Jordan shut down Gary Payton in both Game 3 and Game 5. Payton had averaged 22-5-7-2 on 50% through 3 rounds in the 1996 Playoffs, while sweeping the 2x defending champion Rockets and beating Stockton/Malone's Jazz.

1997 and 1998 Finals - Jordan did not guard Stockton for long periods of time, as this was past his defensive peak. Jordan's off-ball was huge, however, including the Flu game in which all 3 of Jordan's steals came off of Stockton's passes.

His on-ball on Stockton was also good the few times when he did guard Stockton, and his off-ball and help defense on Karl Malone was also key, including the championship winning steal and shot in Game 6 of the 1998 Finals

And these are only the examples of Jordan's defensive performances in the NBA Finals.Before the Bulls title years, Jordan also repeatedly shut down Isiah Thomas who shot 39 - 41% in all 4 playoff series against the Bulls (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991). Jordan also played great defense on former 2x scoring champ Adrian Dantley in the 1988 ECSF, who averaged 20 ppg on 51% in 31 mpg for the 87/88 season.

In the 1996 ECF, Pippen spent more time guarding Penny than Jordan did, but when Jordan did guard Penny, he did a better job. Penny only scored 1 total point with Jordan guarding him in the entire 1996 ECF.

Jordan also locked down these guys when he guarded them
Tim Hardaway (1996 1st Rd) - averaged 17-10 on 43% in 28 games with the 1996 Heat, and 25-10 on 46% for his playoff career prior to that series.
Rod Strickland (1997 1st Rd) - Strickland was an underrated player who averaged 17-19 ppg and 8-10 apg at his best, and even led the league in assists in 97/98.
Steve Smith (1997 ECSF) - averaged 20 ppg on 43% in 96/97
And in 1998, with the season on the line against Indiana in Game 7 of the 98 ECF, Jordan was the one who had to guard Reggie Miller in the 4th quarter. Reggie had 22 points on 7/12 (58%) FG through 3 quarters, then Jordan switched on him in the 4th and Reggie had 0 points and was only able to attempt 1 shot.

http://nobodytouchesjordan.blogspot.ca/2015/08/section-21-case-for-jordan-as-best.html

Should I post videos?

MJ is faster than Curry, he won't be able to get past Mike much.
MJ is taller than Curry, he'd have a hard time trying to get a good shot off.
MJ is more physical and mentally tougher than Curry, Curry would be pushed around like a rag doll if he touches the ball.

Curry would have a hard time even touching the ball as they would concentrate on denying him the ball. He'd have to roam around and catch and shoot for the most part. Which means he won't handle the ball as much, which means their offense would be thrown off.

Curry would get some when not guarded by MJ or Pip, but if those two took turns in guarding him for the entire game for a series, Im confident he would only average 10 points while they guard him. He'd better pray Kerr gets caught on a pick.

MJ would hound and prevent Curry from touching the pill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlPNDXkIYk&list=PLl0ny9_3DLnFmdGrXIYboWxY85qDJEjUY&index=32

KJ is a faster more explosive player than Curry, and this is what MJ did to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K2rBgOqGCw&index=19&list=PLl0ny9_3DLnFmdGrXIYboWxY85qDJEjUY

Strickland has good handles and is as quick as Curry, not as good of a shooter but def more creative and had a post game. MJ shuts him down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3JqY3CECW8&index=29&list=PLl0ny9_3DLnFmdGrXIYboWxY85qDJEjUY

I can keep going on and on.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 09:08 AM
I think it's assuming too much to expect Curry to beat the Bulls by himself under any rules. Too much defensive attention from the best perimeter defensive team in NBA history.

It will also be difficult to stop Chicago from scoring due to matchup issues, triangle offense and easy scores off the many careless turnovers the Warriors commit. That's not counting the turnovers the Bulls would force them to commit.
I agree with this bit, also let's not forget the warriors would have a gauntlet of wings to throw at Mj and Pip, so there's no exact bet on what their numbers could/would be either. I believe Rodman could do major damage on the boards against the small lineups as well. Lots of factors, I still think the biggest would be rules set.

andgar923
04-05-2016, 09:21 AM
I think the bulls could take them, but Pip is getting ahead of himself with the sweep talk. It'd matter most which set of rules and which 3 point line they play with. For them to eliminate curry as much as possible they'd need Pippen on Green and Mj on Curry. Not Harper, cause he'd get roasted something serious. Also their ability to cover Curry would hinge on whether or not they are handchecking. If they can't handcheck Steph they're in the same boat as the rest of the league but with no experience playing hands off defense. All in all:

90s rules, bulls win

Current rules warriors win.

WTF are you babbling about 'set of rules'. Don't you think that if they played under today's rules the Bulls would STILL have an advantage?

F*ck a Curry, who's gonna defend MJ with today's rules? :oldlol:

Seriously... how would you even attempt to defend him without fouling out? You guys think Harden gets calls, you aint seen nothing yet.

And how are the Warriors gonna defend the Bulls' bigs? how? the Bulls would be feeding their bigs all game long, make Luc and Bill look like All Stars while Caffey would score at will.

Under today's soft rules and the Warriors' weaker smaller lineup the Bulls would flourish even more.

I mean, Korver is an All Star in today's league, Riddick is a highly sought after player if he leaves the Clips. Imagine Jud Buchler? Kerr who is one of the greatest 3pt shooters of all time would have teams on his nuts more than a single prime Kim Kardashian.

Under today's rules with the soft small Warriors, Buddha and Salley would be stepping back into a Delorian playing like it's 88 all over again. These two are good post players but deadly with the jumper. With today's wide open lane and weak/soft rules they'd be dishing it off to a cutting player time and time again. The Bulls' bigs would be hitting jumpers opening the lanes for perimeter players to waltz through.

As far as hand checking is concerned....

True the Bulls wouldn't be able to hand check on defense. But that didn't stop Dellie and he still did a great job on Curry. Imagine a taller, faster, more athletic, tougher, smarter defender like Pip or MJ? hell... I think Randy Brown would do more than a decent job on Curry with or without hand checking.

So the new rules actually FAVOR the Bulls more than the Warriors.

Bulls have:

Shooters, big men, slashers,

The Bulls are actually built for this type of era moreso than when they won.

andgar923
04-05-2016, 09:29 AM
I agree with this bit, also let's not forget the warriors would have a gauntlet of wings to throw at Mj and Pip, so there's no exact bet on what their numbers could/would be either. I believe Rodman could do major damage on the boards against the small lineups as well. Lots of factors, I still think the biggest would be rules set.

Bulls had 5 players over 6'10, the Warriors have 2 and they're not even 7'0 tall. The Bulls had 2 players over 7'0 one was 7'2. And a 6'10 that is better than most point guards today.

How the f*ck are the Warriors gonna defend that?

How?

And even if some of you wanna throw in the "today's rules make the post obsolete!" guess what? ALL of the Bulls centers (and with the exception of Rodman, all bigs) could hit the jumper in the paint as good as most wings today!!!

Those bigs battled some of the biggest baddest centers of all time, playing against Ezeli would be like a walk in the park. Luc would be a f*ckin Finals MVP candidate vs these Warriors.

Hell, under today's rules I wouldn't be surprised if one of the biggest cheerleaders of all time gets plenty of minutes (Haley).

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Bulls had 5 players over 6'10, the Warriors have 2 and they're not even 7'0 tall. The Bulls had 2 players over 7'0 one was 7'2. And a 6'10 that is better than most point guards today.

How the f*ck are the Warriors gonna defend that?

How?

And even if some of you wanna throw in the "today's rules make the post obsolete!" guess what? ALL of the Bulls centers (and with the exception of Rodman, all bigs) could hit the jumper in the paint as good as most wings today!!!

Those bigs battled some of the biggest baddest centers of all time, playing against Ezeli would be like a walk in the park. Luc would be a f*ckin Finals MVP candidate vs these Warriors.

Hell, under today's rules I wouldn't be surprised if one of the biggest cheerleaders of all time gets plenty of minutes (Haley).
Dude.
Breathe.
And get a grip, that's way too much emotion for a debate between 2 all time great teams. I get it you're a Mj fan. So am I. You basically counter the warriors small lineup by suggesting the bulls do something they've pretty much never done. Mj would get his, but at what cost? How will he deal with the box and 1 and similar defenses? If I'm kerr, and I know Mj I'm getting curry to light it up one quarter and then play Mj for his forced retaliation. Cause if curry is roasting on one end you better believe Mj will be trying to answer 3's with 2's. If Im kerr I like those odds. Hand check rules make gs already good defense into an even better one you're throwing a lineup of curry, draymond, klay, iggy and whichever big they chose. That's not a bad defensive unit at all. I do still have a sneaking suspicion that gs will fold up if things aren't going their way. But to suggest Gs can't win is just silly and short sighted.:no:

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Dude.
Breathe.
And get a grip, that's way too much emotion for a debate between 2 all time great teams. I get it you're a Mj fan. So am I. You basically counter the warriors small lineup by suggesting the bulls do something they've pretty much never done. Mj would get his, but at what cost? How will he deal with the box and 1 and similar defenses? If I'm kerr, and I know Mj I'm getting curry to light it up one quarter and then play Mj for his forced retaliation. Cause if curry is roasting on one end you better believe Mj will be trying to answer 3's with 2's. If Im kerr I like those odds. Hand check rules make gs already good defense into an even better one you're throwing a lineup of curry, draymond, klay, iggy and whichever big they chose. That's not a bad defensive unit at all. I do still have a sneaking suspicion that gs will fold up if things aren't going their way. But to suggest Gs can't win is just silly and short sighted.:no:

The Dubs would need Curry to light it up for more than one quarter to win the series. Good luck with that. The Bulls are much too smart to fall for such a strategy. They would know they have advantages and wouldn't panic even when Curry has a good couple of quarters.

Bulls have guys that can get easy baskets in the paint anytime they want. They have the best perimeter defense in history. They are one of the better rebounding teams (with one of the greatest rebounders in history). They are excellent at creating and taking advantage of turnovers. They have a guy that can make baskets on any defense you throw at him and he doesn't need to dominate the ball to do it. He's probably the most competitive player and also one of the most clutch. The Bulls match up very well against Golden State.

Curry would have to nail a lot of 30 footers with great defenders focused on him to win this series.

I know GS splashes threes like no other but the Bulls are an all time great defensive team that can nullify Golden State's greatest weapon -- their small ball "lineup of death". Chicago can turn GS conventional and they are far less dangerous in a conventional lineup.

andgar923
04-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Dude.
Breathe.

You don't make sense.

The Bulls doing something they haven't done? The triangle's foundation IS the 'post'. It all centers around the post, the Bulls just happened to play vs all time great front courts so their bigs didn't shine as much in the post.

But if you actually paid attention they did KILL teams by using their bigs as 'jump shooters'!!!

MJ was usually the primary post player while the bigs flanked him or cleared out. Which is perfect for today's era and style of play. So I honestly don't get you're point regarding the Bulls playing out of the ordinary.

And AGAIN, it's easy to believe Curry would automatically get his when he's guarded by today's weak perimeter friendly rules and defenders. But we've seen him struggle vs aggressive defenders.

YES

We've seen him 'struggle' vs defense that is aggressive and physical by inferior defenders than Pip and MJ at that. To think Pip and MJ wouldn't put the clamps down on Curry IS silly and short sighted.

In regards to the Warriors defense on MJ....

He's simply too quick, too smart and too skilled for them. The Warriors have a better shot at sticking Barbosa on MJ than those you mentioned. Hand checking or not, they can't keep up with him. Which is why teams used smaller quicker players on him. And YES I know this is the 96 Bulls version of MJ, he was still quicker than Iggy and everyone on the Warriors. Shit, he was still blowing by people as a Wizard.

Kerr would be forced to double and triple team MJ. Unlike Bron and the Cavs, the Bulls have a precise fast scoring offense. Bron held the ball and held the ball and held the ball all while isolated from the wing. That ain't MJ nor the Bulls, Kerr would be forced to bring everyone to defend him, what do you think will happen then???

Now

I never stated the Bulls would sweep, nor that Curry won't go off. I give the Warriors 1 game maybe 2 tops, and yeah Curry will have his moments he's a monster.

But people get carried away.

The Bulls won 6 chips in a row, the Warriors snuck by a deflated Cavs team in their 1st season together.

Let that shit sink in.

3ball
04-05-2016, 12:03 PM
How will Jordan deal with the box and 1 and similar defenses?

The same way today's wing players deal with it - today's game has more 20 ppg scorers at the PG, SG and SF positions than ever before because it's a perimeter player's game - this is common knowledge.

And today's wings don't need to be good shooters to be top scorers - Lebron, Westbrook, Wade, Derozan and Butler all have poor 3-point AND midrange efficiency!!... But they're still the top scorers because today's wide open spacing and hands-off defense allows athletic players easier access to the rim than ever before.

The spacing and hands-off defense would benefit MJ's athleticism the same way, except he'd also have a GOAT midrange efficiency, which would give him a massive advantage over his aforementioned, non-shooting peers.

You basically counter the warriors small lineup by suggesting the bulls do something they've pretty much never done.

The Bulls had the best perimeter defense in history and won 6 rings without a frontcourt post presence or rim protector - accordingly, no team in history is better-equipped to defeat the Warriors' small ball gimmick.

Ultimately, the Warriors rely on the 3-pointer to be great.. Without it, they're literally nothing - that's a fact.. The Bulls didn't rely on any singular thing to be great - they were just great basketball players, and therefore had more capacity to excel in any era or brand of basketball.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 12:11 PM
The same way today's wing players deal with it - today's game has more 20 ppg scorers at the PG, SG and SF positions than ever before because it's a perimeter player's game - this is common knowledge.

And today's wings don't need to be good shooters to be top scorers - Lebron, Westbrook, Wade, Derozan and Butler all have poor 3-point AND midrange efficiency!!... But they're still the top scorers because today's wide open spacing and hands-off defense allows athletic players easier access to the rim than ever before.

The spacing and hands-off defense would benefit MJ's athleticism the same way, except he'd also have a GOAT midrange efficiency, which would give him a massive advantage over his aforementioned, non-shooting peers.

The Bulls had the best perimeter defense in history and won 6 rings without a frontcourt post presence or rim protector - accordingly, no team in history is better-equipped to defeat the Warriors' small ball gimmick.

Ultimately, the Warriors rely on the 3-pointer to be great.. Without it, they're literally nothing - that's a fact.. The Bulls didn't rely on any singular thing to be great - they were just great basketball players, and therefore had more capacity to excel in any era or brand of basketball.

Exactly :applause:

andgar923
04-05-2016, 12:14 PM
The Warriors' key to success is Green.

Rodman wound Jedi mind him into going coocoo. Get Green out of the series and the Warriors collapse.

90sgoat
04-05-2016, 12:18 PM
We saw how Pop shut down GSW, by shadowing Curry at all times and then switching on every screen.

That's where GSW is going to struggle mightily against Bulls, cause Bulls can switch everything.

If GSW goes small Bulls go small with Harper, Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, yes I'd play Kukoc at center against small ball GSW and let him guard Harrison Barnes then let Rodman deal with Green.

Bulls can switch 1-4 with no problems. Only defensive liability in such a scheme is Kukoc, but then you could go even smaller with Randy Brown, Harper, MJ, Pippen, Rodman, you lose some offense there with Randy, but you win by being able to switch ALL 5 positions.

If 1995 rules, I wouldn't go small ball because you could camp the lane, with Longley, Wennington, you have 10 fouls to give when Curry steps in the lane, hard fouls, of course that's not a strategy today.

The problem for GSW is they're a team built on mismatches on screens, but Bulls can swith 1-4 without problem. They can attack Kukoc yes, but the same applies, Kukoc at 6-10 will be facing guys 6-3 to 6-7 and can simply shoot over them.

The thing with Bulls is, the center position was barely an afterthought, never a necessary position, they stocked up on 3 x 7 foot centers to be able to foul 15 times against Shaq, Hakeem, Rob etc. And Longley was a serviceable big who could get his, he was 7-2 after all. Better offensively than Bogut that's for sure.

In many ways 1996 bulls was a small ball team like Miami Heat. Bosh and Kukoc have very similar games.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 12:28 PM
The Dubs would need Curry to light it up for more than one quarter to win the series. Good luck with that. The Bulls are much too smart to fall for such a strategy. They would know they have advantages and wouldn't panic even when Curry has a good couple of quarters.

Bulls have guys that can get easy baskets in the paint anytime they want. They have the best perimeter defense in history. They are one of the better rebounding teams (with one of the greatest rebounders in history). They are excellent at creating and taking advantage of turnovers. They have a guy that can make baskets on any defense you throw at him and he doesn't need to dominate the ball to do it. He's probably the most competitive player and also one of the most clutch. The Bulls match up very well against Golden State.

Curry would have to nail a lot of 30 footers with great defenders focused on him to win this series.

I know GS splashes threes like no other but the Bulls are an all time great defensive team that can nullify Golden State's greatest weapon -- their small ball "lineup of death". Chicago can turn GS conventional and they are far less dangerous in a conventional lineup.
I hear ya, I said 1st I felt the bulls would win but I find it incredibly hard to believe that there's no points of view where gs even stands a chance. I can't really respect a debate where there's only one point of view like some of these other guys are posting. I'm not sayinG I think goldenstate wins, just that there are things that work in their favor as well.

Ariza4three
04-05-2016, 12:34 PM
He's wrong.

RRR3
04-05-2016, 12:36 PM
The Warriors' key to success is Green.

Rodman wound Jedi mind him into going coocoo. Get Green out of the series and the Warriors collapse.
I don't like Zero Votes Curry either, but he's clearly the key to their success. Not ****in DrayFraud

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 12:36 PM
I hear ya, I said 1st I felt the bulls would win but I find it incredibly hard to believe that there's no points of view where gs even stands a chance. I can't really respect a debate where there's only one point of view like some of these other guys are posting. I'm not sayinG I think goldenstate wins, just that there are things that work in their favor as well.

I think a point can be made that any all time great team can defeat another. There was a thread yesterday comparing the 86 Celtics and 93 Bulls. I can present a view where the 93 Bulls could beat the 86 Celtics but realistically speaking, the 86 Celtics would win most of the time. So when I said the 86 Celtics would win, I didn't mean each and every time but that they'd win the majority of the time. Because they have strengths against the Bulls weaknesses.

Same with 96 Bulls and 16 Warriors. 96 Bulls have advantages that would give them an easier path to victory. Sure, Curry and Thompson could go off or they come up with a scheme that confuses the Bulls long enough to win a series here and there. But the majority of the time, the Bulls would win. If a team is great defensively (all time great), dominates the glass, dominates the paint and have the best player on the court, that team has an easier time winning than another team that needs to win by nailing jumpshots.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 12:39 PM
You don't make sense.

The Bulls doing something they haven't done? The triangle's foundation IS the 'post'. It all centers around the post, the Bulls just happened to play vs all time great front courts so their bigs didn't shine as much in the post.

But if you actually paid attention they did KILL teams by using their bigs as 'jump shooters'!!!

MJ was usually the primary post player while the bigs flanked him or cleared out. Which is perfect for today's era and style of play. So I honestly don't get you're point regarding the Bulls playing out of the ordinary.
Yawn, dude you said the bulls would feed their bigs all game long turning them into allstars. Stop.

And AGAIN, it's easy to believe Curry would automatically get his when he's guarded by today's weak perimeter friendly rules and defenders. But we've seen him struggle vs aggressive defenders.

YES

We've seen him 'struggle' vs defense that is aggressive and physical by inferior defenders than Pip and MJ at that. To think Pip and MJ wouldn't put the clamps down on Curry IS silly and short sighted.
While I'm not the biggest Curry fan, I can honestly say the times hes been made to look bad are few and far between, so good luck with that. And the matchup the bulls choose are key. It can either win games for them or be the death of them.

In regards to the Warriors defense on MJ....

He's simply too quick, too smart and too skilled for them. The Warriors have a better shot at sticking Barbosa on MJ than those you mentioned. Hand checking or not, they can't keep up with him. Which is why teams used smaller quicker players on him. And YES I know this is the 96 Bulls version of MJ, he was still quicker than Iggy and everyone on the Warriors. Shit, he was still blowing by people as a Wizard.

Kerr would be forced to double and triple team MJ. Unlike Bron and the Cavs, the Bulls have a precise fast scoring offense. Bron held the ball and held the ball and held the ball all while isolated from the wing. That ain't MJ nor the Bulls, Kerr would be forced to bring everyone to defend him, what do you think will happen then???
Well for one their coach played for the 96 bulls and knows the entire playbook/philosophy inside out.....

But people get carried away.
Indeed, the irony......

The Bulls won 6 chips in a row, the Warriors snuck by a deflated Cavs team in their 1st season together.

Let that shit sink in.
Correction, the bulls won 3 in a row in their 96 configuration. The warriors survived an alltime great series from a hall of famer, against a scrappy team. Settle down buddy.

andgar923
04-05-2016, 12:42 PM
I don't like Zero Votes Curry either, but he's clearly the key to their success. Not ****in DrayFraud
Green is their leader.

He's not just their enforcer, he makes it possible for the Warriors to run their offense so dangerously and would be the Bulls' biggest challenge in the matchup dept.

That's also not the same as THE best player.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 12:42 PM

I actually sort of agree with you for once, but I'm not sold on MJ being impervious to schemes that didn't exist while he played bro, give it a rest. One key point you left out was if it's old rules then the warriors become even more deadly shooting team wide with the shorter line, while the bulls have trash shooting with the modern line. Remember these bulls teams operated with training wheels on the perimeter compared to what Gs is doing today.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Another thing, for you guys suggesting pippen on Curry or Rodman on Green? That's suicide for the bulls. In order for chi to corral Curry they'd have to get scottie on draymond. Any other setup is death. Rodman on green just gets him thrown in the pnr with green/curry every time down and Rodman is shark food. Same with kukoc. Mj on Curry and pippen on green is the only way I see them doing any damage to Curry defensively, otherwise what stops the warriors from running their normal bread and butter?

3ball
04-05-2016, 12:51 PM
the 86 Celtics would beat 1993 Bulls most of the time.

Agreed.

In 1993, there were only 3 members of the Bulls' supporting cast that averaged more than 20 minutes and 6 ppg:

.....................PPG.......MPG

Pippen............18.6...... 38.6
Grant.............13.2....... 35.6
Armstrong.......12.3.......30.4
Cartwright........5.6....... 19.9
S Williams........5.9........19.3
Paxson............ 4.2........17.5
R McCray......... 3.5........15.9
S King............. 5.4....... 13.9
W Perdue......... 4.7........13.9
T Tucker.......... 5.2........13.2
D Walker......... 2.6........13.1

Unlike the incredibly deep Celtics, the Bulls' roster was arguably the worst in the league from the #4 thru #12 spots.

(this is why MJ was required to lead his team in scoring by the widest margin ever AND lead the team in assist % for both 3-peats (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11713121&postcount=49), while also being the best defender at his position in the league - this is the GOAT burden, by far).

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Another thing, for you guys suggesting pippen on Curry or Rodman on Green? That's suicide for the bulls. In order for chi to corral Curry they'd have to get scottie on draymond. Any other setup is death. Rodman on green just gets him thrown in the pnr with green/curry every time down and Rodman is shark food. Same with kukoc. Mj on Curry and pippen on green is the only way I see them doing any damage to Curry defensively, otherwise what stops the warriors from running their normal bread and butter?

Bulls have options. They have 4 - 5 defenders that can switch assignments. Very good coaching staff and very smart players. They don't need to hold to one defensive philosophy.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Bulls have options. They have 4 - 5 defenders that can switch assignments. Very good coaching staff and very smart players. They don't need to hold to one defensive philosophy.
They did, but also those 4 or 5 options aren't capable of handling both curry and green. The current Nba isn't getting roasted because they don't know how to run a defense. Most teams don't have the personnel and are finally catching on to how important the green matchup actually is. You have to have guys on curry and green that can switch both matchups effectively.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 01:03 PM
They did, but also those 4 or 5 options aren't capable of handling both curry and green. The current Nba isn't getting roasted because they don't know how to run a defense. Most teams don't have the personnel and are finally catching on to how important the green matchup actually is. You have to have guys on curry and green that can switch both matchups effectively.

They do have guys that can match up. That's the whole point. They won't stop Curry but they also won't allow him to walk up and down the court shooting wide open shots and sure as hell won't just let him skip in the lane for wide open layups if he beats his man. The Bulls are the best perimeter defensive team ever. They are smart, focused and versatile. Curry wouldn't get a minutes rest. Even with Randy Brown out there giving the other guys a blow for a few minutes.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 01:04 PM
I have a meeting but here's a question.

How can GS guard this lineup?

MJ, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Harper

aj1987
04-05-2016, 01:19 PM

Green, Iggy, Klay, Bogut, and Curry.

It's not like Rodman and '96 Harper needed to be guarded.

Bawkish
04-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Green, Iggy, Klay, Bogut, and Curry.

It's not like Rodman and '96 Harper needed to be guarded.

big mistake

these guys ran the triangle very efficiently, not some Lebron ISO ball

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 01:34 PM

Actually they'd probably trot out
Curry, Klay, barnes, iggy, green. And I'd like their chances compared to their starting lineup

3ball
04-05-2016, 01:37 PM
It's not like Rodman and '9o6 Harper needed to be guarded.

who's going to guard the GOAT?... klay?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--my1F0LNO--/aaxj3pz2dako8woqqwdq.gif

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Actually they'd probably trot out
Curry, Klay, barnes, iggy, green. And I'd like their chances compared to their starting lineup

Either Curry gets posted up or he would guard a guy more than half a foot taller on the perimeter (Kukoc). MJ would command a double or it's an easy basket every time down the court. Once the double comes, MJ will either score or pass out and allow the triangle to take advantage of the scrambling.

Pippen had a good post up game. He wouldn't command a double but he'd get some good shots. Even Kukoc could post if he needed to. That type of game draws fouls and eventually wears out opponents.

Offensive rebounding would also be an issue. Somebody would need to face guard Rodman or he'd get 18 rebounds. All these guys crashed the boards.

3ball
04-05-2016, 03:07 PM
One key point you left out was if it's old rules then the warriors become even more deadly shooting team wide with the shorter line

Over 80% of today's 3-pointers are taken with 4+ feet of room (per nba.com's stats (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12260835&postcount=107)), whereas the shorter 3-point line saved defenders 3-4 feet of closeout space - with a shorter line, the today's teams wouldn't enjoy the open 3-pointers they enjoy today.

With less open 3-pointers, teams like the Warriors would need better 2-point scoring ability than they currently have - of course, their 2-point scoring ability would be far below the Bulls' GOAT 2-point ability.

Again, the Warriors need the 3-point shot to be great... Without it, they're literally nothing.. Otoh, the Bulls didn't rely on a singular thing to be great - they were just great basketball players, and therefore had more capacity to excel in any era or brand of basketball.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT0BKishrkuHZV0IDK/giphy.gif

I'm not sold on MJ being impervious to schemes that didn't exist while he played bro

What schemes?... The strongside flood?

Without today's 3-point shooting/weakside spacing to draw defenders away from the strongside, Jordan faced more strongside defenders, as seen in the GIF above.

The lack of spacing resulted in MULTIPLE defenders already standing where today's lone flooder would flood to.

I'm not sold on MJ being impervious to schemes that didn't exist while he played bro

Today's wing players are impervious, despite being less athletic (6'3" Westbrook, 6'4" Wade, and Kobe).

Furthermore, players don't need to be good shooters to be top scorers in today's game - Lebron, Westbrook, Wade, Derozan and Butler have poor 3-point AND midrange efficiency!!.. But they're still the top scorers because today's wide open spacing and hands-off defense allows athletic players easier access to the rim than ever before.

It's a perimeter player's game - there's more 20 ppg point guards, SG's, and SF's than ever before, so Jordan would excel more in today's era than the 80's or 90's.

JohnMax
04-05-2016, 03:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/79c7dOg.png

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1065485/eminem-stan-o.gif

Cap'n Obvious
04-05-2016, 04:00 PM
It is impossible to know what the exact outcome would have been.

andgar923
04-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Sdot like the rest is talking out his ass.

He claims he's an MJ fan, but he's shown he hasn't actually saw him or the Bulls play.

Or he simply doesn't understand the game.

97 bulls
04-05-2016, 06:50 PM
I've been reading the back and forth and still can't see why this is even an argument. All the Bulls would need to do is post Curry or Thompson. Get them in foul trouble, then it's over. Even when Harper is on, and they double Jordan using Curry off Harper. Why does Harper (being the open man) have to take a three? He could cut to the basket. And even then, he's an excellent finisher. Or, guys must scramble to adjust, and thus open up offensive rebounds.

That will always be the beauty of the 90's Bulls, their perimeter guys were big. Almost as tall as PFS and centers today. The versitility they had has never been matched.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 07:07 PM
That will always be the beauty of the 90's Bulls, their perimeter guys were big. Almost as tall as PFS and centers today. The versitility they had has never been matched.

They weren't just big, they played big. It would take a big team to beat Chicago. Not a perimeter-oriented jumpshot happy team like Golden State. And I say that as a fan. I like the Warriors. They play the right way and have all the intangibles I value in a team.

bdreason
04-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Why do people act like the Warriors are a small team? Their front-court is small, but every other position is long and athletic. The Warriors perimeter size is actually what makes them such a great defensive team; they're able to switch everything without getting burned. From a size and length standpoint, the Warriors match up very well with '96 Bulls. The only scoring threat with legitimate size on that Bulls team was Kukoc, who was a face-up scorer, and DrayGod would have no problem guarding him.

97 bulls
04-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Why do people act like the Warriors are a small team? Their front-court is small, but every other position is long and athletic. The Warriors perimeter size is actually what makes them such a great defensive team; they're able to switch everything without getting burned. From a size and length standpoint, the Warriors match up very well with '96 Bulls. The only scoring threat with legitimate size on that Bulls team was Kukoc, who was a face-up scorer, and DrayGod would have no problem guarding him.
Because the Warriors biggest threat and best player is 6'3. I'd make him have to guard somebody. And I'd be determined to put him in foul trouble. The Warriors have Nooooo answer for a lineup of
Pip
Jordan
Kukoc
Rodman
Longley

And for emphasis, I'very always felt the 97 Bulls were better than the 96 version because they had Brian Williams/Bison Dele. Damn the record.

Who does Curry guard?

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 07:58 PM

It's not that they are small, it's that they play small. They don't pound it in the post and put teams in foul trouble. They shoot jumpshots.

Young X
04-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Warriors too good to get swept. Bulls in 6.

LongLiveTheKing
04-05-2016, 08:24 PM
The Bulls couldn't even sweep the Knicks and the Sonics two teams that are worse than the Warriors. :confusedshrug:

andgar923
04-05-2016, 09:19 PM
The Bulls couldn't even sweep the Knicks and the Sonics two teams that are worse than the Warriors. :confusedshrug:
Time for your nap/meds.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Sdot like the rest is talking out his ass.

He claims he's an MJ fan, but he's shown he hasn't actually saw him or the Bulls play.

Or he simply doesn't understand the game.
Nah bro, none of the above. I watched him and was as big a fan as any.....as a teen. A pity your entire basketball experience is ruined by worship. I'm making basketball related points, your replies reek of insecure emotion. I suggest you stray away from discussions you can't have without getting all in your feelings. I've tried to keep it basketball but that's not possible with guys like you. I'm just not a grown ass man cheer leading a dude who been retired for damn near 15 years. Only thing you seem to be good for is smoking **** apparently. Keep up the Good work.:facepalm

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Either Curry gets posted up or he would guard a guy more than half a foot taller on the perimeter (Kukoc). MJ would command a double or it's an easy basket every time down the court. Once the double comes, MJ will either score or pass out and allow the triangle to take advantage of the scrambling.

Pippen had a good post up game. He wouldn't command a double but he'd get some good shots. Even Kukoc could post if he needed to. That type of game draws fouls and eventually wears out opponents.

Offensive rebounding would also be an issue. Somebody would need to face guard Rodman or he'd get 18 rebounds. All these guys crashed the boards.
All good points, my gripe is with the fact that bulls supporters touted them basically as invincible. I've never once ever seen a bulls fan say they are at a disadvantage of any sort, let alone a Mj fan. With the lineup the bulls throw out there why is it seemingly a given that the warriors will just fold up? Have you guys not been watching basketball at all this year? Gs thrives on creating specific situations and capitalizing on them. I do realize Mj and Pip are 2 of the greatest perimeter defenders ever but theres like 5 good wings on the warriors.

97 bulls
04-05-2016, 09:51 PM
All good points, my gripe is with the fact that bulls supporters touted them basically as invincible. I've never once ever seen a bulls fan say they are at a disadvantage of any sort, let alone a Mj fan. With the lineup the bulls throw out there why is it seemingly a given that the warriors will just fold up? Have you guys not been watching basketball at all this year? Gs thrives on creating specific situations and capitalizing on them. I do realize Mj and Pip are 2 of the greatest perimeter defenders ever but theres like 5 good wings on the warriors.
I'm confused as to your stance. Who do you feel would win?I disagree with Pippen when he says they'd sweep the Warriors. But I do feel they'd win based on matchups. It's not a matter of talent.

I've asked this question a million times. If the Bulls go big, and I don't see why they wouldn't, who is Curry going to guard?

What's more. You're already conceding. Your saying that the Dubs have very good wings after Curry and Thompson. So in essence, your now asking Green and Barnes to out duel Jordan and Pippen. Think about that. We've minimized the Dubs two best offensive weapons. By your own admission.

LAZERUSS
04-05-2016, 09:52 PM
The Bulls never faced a team that could shoot like this year's Warriors. In fact, they are easily the GOAT long range shooting team in NBA history. They can literally put FIVE 3pt shooters on the floor at one time. AND, they push TEMP like no team since the 80's Lakers.

Furthermore, everyone under-estimates Golden States defense, which was basically the best in the league last year, and if they wouldn't be involved in so many blow-outs this year, they would be right there again this year.

I'm not predicting who would win this hypothetical series, but Chicago never came close to playing a team as dominant as this year's Warriors. And considering just how much that they struggled against an inept offensive team like Seattle...I'm sorry, I see no way in which the Bulls sweep the Warriors. And, if they catch GS on a night when the Warriors are spot on, I could see a GS rout, simply because the Warriors can explode for 40+ points in a quarter against anyone. Fans seem to have forgotten that they hung 120 on the Spurs a few weeks ago, and with no starter playing over 28 minutes.

Finally, the '96 Bulls didn't have a peak MJ, Pippen, nor Rodman, either. All three of them were on the down-sides of their careers. I have pointed out the solid difference between a peak Curry's '15-16 season, and a declining MJ's '95-96 season. Factor in efficiency, and Curry just blows that Jordan away offensively.

Again...I wouldn't predict a winner, but I seriously doubt either team would sweep the other.

97 bulls
04-05-2016, 09:59 PM
The Bulls never faced a team that could shoot like this year's Warriors. In fact, they are easily the GOAT long range shooting team in NBA history. They can literally put FIVE 3pt shooters on the floor at one time. AND, they push TEMP like no team since the 80's Lakers.

Furthermore, everyone under-estimates Golden States defense, which was basically the best in the league last year, and if they wouldn't be involved in so many blow-outs this year, they would be right there again this year.

I'm not predicting who would win this hypothetical series, but Chicago never came close to playing a team as dominant as this year's Warriors. And considering just how much that they struggled against an inept offensive team like Seattle...I'm sorry, I see no way in which the Bulls sweep the Warriors. And, if they catch GS on a night when the Warriors are spot on, I could see a GS rout, simply because the Warriors can explode for 40+ points in a quarter against anyone. Fans seem to have forgotten that they hung 120 on the Spurs a few weeks ago, and with no starter playing over 28 minutes.

Finally, the '96 Bulls didn't have a peak MJ, Pippen, nor Rodman, either. All three of them were on the down-sides of their careers. I have pointed out the solid difference between a peak Curry's '15-16 season, and a declining MJ's '95-96 season. Factor in efficiency, and Curry just blows that Jordan away offensively.

Again...I wouldn't predict a winner, but I seriously doubt either team would sweep the other.
Lol. Be a man a come out and say it Laz. You feel the Warriors would win. You're right. The Bulls have never faced a team that shoots as well as the Warriors. But here's where I think you're being hypocritical. 3pt shooting has improved a cross the league. So if were going by today's era, why wouldn't the Bulls be better at shooting and defending the 3 based on their stats? Similar to how you feel Chamberlains FG% would be better today because it was the best when he played. It's all relative right? Or does that only apply to Chamberlain

LAZERUSS
04-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Lol. Be a man a come out and say it Laz. You feel the Warriors would win. You're right. The Bulls have never faced a team that shoots as well as the Warriors. But here's where I think you're being hypocritical. 3pt shooting has improved a cross the league. So if were going by today's era, why wouldn't the Bulls be better at shooting and defending the 3 based on their stats? Similar to how you feel Chamberlains FG% would be better today because it was the best when he played. It's all relative right? Or does that only apply to Chamberlain

Shooting efficiency has been basically the same since the 80's. Just look up league-wide eFG%'s. This year's NBA is shooting .502, and in '96 it was .499. BUT, this year's Warriors team is in a class by themselves. BTW, almost to a man...those that played in the 70's, and then into the 80's, had their FG%'s go up dramatically (look up KAJ, Dantley, and Gilmore just to name a few.)

How's this... the '96 Bulls outshot their opposition... .517 to .482. This year's Warriors... .562 to .479. BTW, only the '71 Bucks had a higher differential in NBA history.

Would Chicago adapt? POSSIBLY. Jordan was a HORRIFIC 3pt shooter until the NBA moved in the line (in a documented attempt to bump up scoring BTW.)

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm confused as to your stance. Who do you feel would win?I disagree with Pippen when he says they'd sweep the Warriors. But I do feel they'd win based on matchups. It's not a matter of talent.

I've asked this question a million times. If the Bulls go big, and I don't see why they wouldn't, who is Curry going to guard?

What's more. You're already conceding. Your saying that the Dubs have very good wings after Curry and Thompson. So in essence, your now asking Green and Barnes to out duel Jordan and Pippen. Think about that. We've minimized the Dubs two best offensive weapons. By your own admission.
I think the bulls would win, I said as much my 1st post. I definitely disagree with any notion of a sweep. If the bulls went big I'd assume from seeing the way kerr operates curry would guard Toni seeing as he'd be the least threatening player for him on the wing. They always will put him on the least threatening player. I wouldn't even be shocked to see him on Dennis honestly. I don't think I'm conceding anything, just posing a couterpoint. I don't think anyone understands the bulls going big would put them behind the 8 ball defensively with these warriors.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 10:17 PM
I think the bulls would win, I said as much my 1st post. I definitely disagree with any notion of a sweep. If the bulls went big I'd assume from seeing the way kerr operates curry would guard Toni seeing as he'd be the least threatening player for him on the wing. They always will put him on the least threatening player. I wouldn't even be shocked to see him on Dennis honestly. I don't think I'm conceding anything, just posing a couterpoint. I don't think anyone understands the bulls going big would put them behind the 8 ball defensively with these warriors.

Curry on Kukoc would yield wide open jump shots even when Curry is trying his best. Talent can't make up for 7 inches.

Curry on Rodman is suicide. Not only because he'd get bullied and worn out over the course of the game but also because he wouldn't be able to keep Dennis off the boards.

sdot_thadon
04-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Curry on Kukoc would yield wide open jump shots even when Curry is trying his best. Talent can't make up for 7 inches.

Curry on Rodman is suicide. Not only because he'd get bullied and worn out over the course of the game but also because he wouldn't be able to keep Dennis off the boards.
Definitely could be right about that, but there's 2 sides of the floor, the bulls go big and those bigs will be put into endless pnr with curry till he either gets a look or a switch to a big and that's a look either way. And to keep curry from getting his looks you have to completely sell out which gives all his teammates the looks they enjoy.

Bawkish
04-05-2016, 10:42 PM
No one's sweeping nobody here. GSW can get their Ws if this is a series matchup. However, they needed a massive effort to beat the Bulls. And no don't tell me that "GSW would beat the Bulls by raining 3's the whole time", that's BS. As if the Dobermans were going to just stand there & watch them like a kid watching fireworks.

LAZERUSS
04-05-2016, 10:46 PM
No one's sweeping nobody here. GSW can get their Ws if this is a series matchup. However, they needed a massive effort to beat the Bulls. And no don't tell me that "GSW would beat the Bulls by raining 3's the whole time", that's BS. As if the Dobermans were going to just stand there & watch them like a kid watching fireworks.

But some here seem to think that Curry is a "Kerr-type" shooter, too. Curry has the best handles, the quickest release, and the most prolific range in NBA history. He only needs a split-second of daylight to get his shot off...and when he does, I am amazed when he misses.

Furthermore, the '96 Bulls were not a collection of offensive talent. Aside from MJ, Pippen, and a part-time Kukoc and an open part-time Kerr, they had very little offense. The Warriors wouldn't have to defend all five positions, either.

eliteballer
04-05-2016, 10:52 PM
They couldn't even sweep the 96 Knicks, and they wouldn't be playing with a short 3 point line either.

Da_Realist
04-05-2016, 10:53 PM
Definitely could be right about that, but there's 2 sides of the floor, the bulls go big and those bigs will be put into endless pnr with curry till he either gets a look or a switch to a big and that's a look either way. And to keep curry from getting his looks you have to completely sell out which gives all his teammates the looks they enjoy.

Chicago would punish the Dubs whether they go small or big. If the Dubs go small, Chicago could match up well with MJ, Pip, Rodman, Harper and Kukoc. They could even bring in Randy Brown to give Curry a different look. Chicago wouldn't have to double and they'd live with what Curry could give them with MJ and Pip draped all over him and contain everyone else. However, the Dubs really can't control the pace or the paint because Chicago was a very good rebounding and defensive team plus they really worked the post. They covered space like no other team and they made teams pay for turnovers (many of which the Dubs make are careless).

Like I said, Chicago matches up very well against the Dubs. GS strengths play right into Chicago's hands.

Bawkish
04-05-2016, 11:02 PM
But some here seem to think that Curry is a "Kerr-type" shooter, too. Curry has the best handles, the quickest release, and the most prolific range in NBA history. He only needs a split-second of daylight to get his shot off...and when he does, I am amazed when he misses.

Furthermore, the '96 Bulls were not a collection of offensive talent. Aside from MJ, Pippen, and a part-time Kukoc and an open part-time Kerr, they had very little offense. The Warriors wouldn't have to defend all five positions, either.

Curry being Curry, as they said. He's the best shooter of all time, bar none. But then the Bulls were also the best perimeter defenders ever. It's one thing being defended by the current's best against all-time's best.

Bawkish
04-05-2016, 11:05 PM
They couldn't even sweep the 96 Knicks, and they wouldn't be playing with a short 3 point line either.

none of what you said proves anything.

97 bulls
04-05-2016, 11:25 PM

Curry would then have to battle Rodman for offensive boards. Again he'd be in foul trouble. Or Rodman would avg 25 rebounds for the series with 15 of them being offenisve.

97 bulls
04-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Shooting efficiency has been basically the same since the 80's. Just look up league-wide eFG%'s. This year's NBA is shooting .502, and in '96 it was .499. BUT, this year's Warriors team is in a class by themselves. BTW, almost to a man...those that played in the 70's, and then into the 80's, had their FG%'s go up dramatically (look up KAJ, Dantley, and Gilmore just to name a few.)

How's this... the '96 Bulls outshot their opposition... .517 to .482. This year's Warriors... .562 to .479. BTW, only the '71 Bucks had a higher differential in NBA history.

Would Chicago adapt? POSSIBLY. Jordan was a HORRIFIC 3pt shooter until the NBA moved in the line (in a documented attempt to bump up scoring BTW.)
Dude. .3 percent is a large margin in the grand scheme of things. And again. We're comparing apples to oranges here. The league the Bulls played in was dominated by Centers. The league's not like that any more.

Jordan was not a horific shooter from three when the Bulls were making their run. And the Bulls were a damn good three point shooting team in 96. I think they were top 5. And we're damn good at defending the 3.

LAZERUSS
04-05-2016, 11:40 PM
Dude. .3 percent is a large margin in the grand scheme of things. And again. We're comparing apples to oranges here. The league the Bulls played in was dominated by Centers. The league's not like that any more.

Jordan was not a horific shooter from three when the Bulls were making their run. And the Bulls were a damn good three point shooting team in 96. I think they were top 5. And we're damn good at defending the 3.

No it's not. It's basically the EXACT same eFG%. Furthermore, remove the Warriors, and the league-wide eFG% would be well below MJ's '96 season.

And for the record...the NBA shot an eFG% of .496 in '14-15...or below MJ's '96 season of .499.

With a considerably shorter 3 pt line.

The '97 Bulls shot .373...the '98 Bulls shot .322. It was no coincidence.

MJ's 3pt% without the shorter arc was well under 30%.

97 bulls
04-06-2016, 12:53 AM
No it's not. It's basically the EXACT same eFG%. Furthermore, remove the Warriors, and the league-wide eFG% would be well below MJ's '96 season.

And for the record...the NBA shot an eFG% of .496 in '14-15...or below MJ's '96 season of .499.

With a considerably shorter 3 pt line.

The '97 Bulls shot .373...the '98 Bulls shot .322. It was no coincidence.

MJ's 3pt% without the shorter arc was well under 30%.
Again. Be consistent. It's all relative. The league changes the rules to help perimeter play. Besides. The Bulls don't have to out shoot the Warriors. Gonna be pretty hard for Curry to take threes sitting on the bench next to coach Kerr

LAZERUSS
04-06-2016, 12:58 AM
Again. Be consistent. It's all relative. The league changes the rules to help perimeter play. Besides. The Bulls don't have to out shoot the Warriors. Gonna be pretty hard for Curry to take threes sitting on the bench next to coach Kerr

I have been.

This year's Warriors are likely the greatest shooting team in NBA history (only the mid-80's Lakers might have been as good.) And I have provided you all of the evidence.

Again, I am not making any predictions, because they are moot. But to just shrug off perhaps the greatest season in NBA history is also not being very consistent, either.

Bawkish
04-06-2016, 01:22 AM

i agree, the Bulls play tough defense. They handled "93 Suns not by outscoring them. So comparing 3pt stats between Bulls & GSW is pointless

Da_Realist
04-06-2016, 08:04 AM

So Wiggins could dominate the Warriors without having to nail ten 3's, but MJ couldn't? Lol ok. Layup after layup after layup after layup. Easy post ups and turn arounds. MJ would have scored 45 on that defense. Last night was the PERFECT example of what MJ would against the Warriors defense. Look at the highlights -- all moves MJ mastered.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cXjbSrLAM88

Another point, why couldn't the Bulls do at least as good a job defensively as the Timberwolves did last night?

LAZERUSS
04-06-2016, 08:36 AM
So Wiggins could dominate the Warriors without having to nail ten 3's, but MJ couldn't? Lol ok. Layup after layup after layup after layup. Easy post ups and turn arounds. MJ would have scored 45 on that defense. Last night was the PERFECT example of what MJ would against the Warriors defense. Look at the highlights -- all moves MJ mastered.

Another point, why couldn't the Bulls do at least as good a job defensively as the Timberwolves did last night?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Two can play that game...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199603240TOR.html

If an 18-49 team could hang 109 on the Bulls, can you imagine the unlimited scoring that the Warriors would have carpet-bombed the Bulls with?

BTW, the Knicks also completely shut down the Bulls offense, as well...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199603100NYK.html

Clearly, based on that one game, the Knicks were a FAR superior team to the Bulls in the '96 season, right?

You are a better poster than this...

Da_Realist
04-06-2016, 08:40 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Two can play that game...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199603240TOR.html

If an 18-49 team could hang 109 on the Bulls, can you imagine the unlimited scoring that the Warriors would have carpet-bombed the Bulls with?

BTW, the Knicks also completely shut down the Bulls offense, as well...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199603100NYK.html

Clearly, based on that one game, the Knicks were a FAR superior team to the Bulls in the '96 season, right?

You are a better poster than this...

I'm not saying the Wolves are better than the Warriors. I'm saying it is possible to beat them without hitting twenty 3's per game. MJ doesn't need to be Steph Curry. Today's rules don't force guys to shoot twenty 3's per game. Teams do it because they are one-dimensional. MJ's midrange game would do just fine in today's game. Layup after layup after layup after layup.

andgar923
04-06-2016, 08:44 AM

When asked about disrupting the Warriors advantage and causing them to commit 23 TOs.. "We played physical" Wiggins.

Wiggins was killing them with the spin move.

But MJ won't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QB8_OB0pg

seriously how is MJ gonna be stopped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhaVkm9Vs3M

Dragonyeuw
04-06-2016, 08:46 AM

But they swept the 96 Magic, who were better than the 96 Knicks. Doesn't really prove much...

Da_Realist
04-06-2016, 08:51 AM
When asked about disrupting the Warriors advantage and causing them to commit 23 TOs.. "We played physical" Wiggins.

Wiggins was killing them with the spin move.

But MJ won't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QB8_OB0pg

That's the problem. Fans think you have to outshoot the Warriors to beat them. NO. Lanes are wide open. Did you see how easy those shots were? Wiggins is not even half the player MJ was. Most teams just don't have the discipline to master that midrange game so they resort to shooting threes. And they lose because the Warriors are better at it than they are.

I'll take MJ and Pip hitting easy layups, turnarounds and fadeaways over Steph and Klay knocking down 25 footers with the leagues two best defenders draped all over them.

ArbitraryWater
04-06-2016, 08:53 AM
But they swept the 96 Magic, who were better than the 96 Knicks. Doesn't really prove much...

but Grant was out for the series after he injured himself in game 1...

Dragonyeuw
04-06-2016, 09:01 AM
but Grant was out for the series after he injured himself in game 1...

I made my comment knowing that. But keeping this within the context of the Warriors this season, they're 6-1 combined against the Spurs, Cavs, and Thunder, but have lost a few games to teams they really 'shouldn't' have, same with the 96 Bulls. Comments like what I responded to above don't prove much of anything, and to be clear I'm not in agreement that the Bulls would sweep the Warriors. They wouldn't, but it really has nothing to do with them not sweeping the 96 Knicks. It's not that simplistic...

andgar923
04-06-2016, 09:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1MWkWT320

The Bulls were lean, fast, could move without the ball, EVERYONE on the team could read and pass very well.

They had 4 players 6'6 and taller that could run the offense with ease. Seven footers that could post AND shoot, set screens so they're always a threat on the pick, had 3pt shooters to open the floor and stretch out the defense.

Seriously, how are they gonna lose to the Warriors?

The Warriors are small in the paint and like Da Realist and other mentioned, they're one dimensional and are beat whenever teams avoid out shooting them and specially when teams get physical with them.

Da_Realist
The way the 96 Bulls matched up to the Knicks and Sonics has nothing to do with the 16 Warriors. Sure the Warriors are the better offensive teams and they would pose a challenge, but the 96 Knicks and Sonics were better defensively and posed a different challenge. Go back and look at all the holding, grabbing, bumping and grinding that took place before anyone could even get the ball.

Has nothing to do with the matchup between the 96 Bulls and 16 Warriors.

andgar923
96 Knicks and Sonics have nothing to do with the 16 Warriors. Sure the Warriors are the better offensive teams and they would pose a challenge, but the 96 Knicks and Sonics were better defensively and posed a different challenge. Go back and look at all the holding, grabbing, bumping and grinding that took place before anyone could even get the ball.

They can't comprehend this.

Im Still Ballin
04-06-2016, 09:12 AM
It's crazy because the general consensus is that Golden State would win

It's what you hear on the courts

The word round the streets

90sgoat
04-06-2016, 09:12 AM
That's the problem. Fans think you have to outshoot the Warriors to beat them. NO. Lanes are wide open. Did you see how easy those shots were? Wiggins is not even half the player MJ was. Most teams just don't have the discipline to master that midrange game so they resort to shooting threes. And they lose because the Warriors are better at it than they are.

I'll take MJ and Pip hitting easy layups, turnarounds and fadeaways over Steph and Klay knocking down 25 footers with the leagues two best defenders draped all over them.

Spurs and Cavs in finals showed that beating GSW means bringing the pace way down to a crawl. This is not even debateable because it clearly worked for both teams.

Most teams in the NBA do not gameplan for their opponent in the regular season, preferring to treat the regular season games as glorified training sessions, probably because they don't practice much during the season.

The thing is, you will not beat GSW trying to play their game, they are clearly the best. This is like getting into a grind it out game with Detroit Pistons or a shoot em out with Suns back in the day.

It's a boxing match, the best way to avoid getting hit is to hit back. Don't try to outdance Muhammed Ali, don't try to slug it out with Tyson.

Don't run, walk the ball up every time, so you don't get caught in transition. Warriors if you let them want to play the entire game in a secondary break like situation.

RUN back, every play. Make Curry and Klay work on defense, so they have less energy on offense.

Dragonyeuw
04-06-2016, 09:13 AM
The way the 96 Bulls matched up to the Knicks and Sonics has nothing to do with the 16 Warriors. Sure the Warriors are the better offensive teams and they would pose a challenge, but the 96 Knicks and Sonics were better defensively and posed a different challenge. Go back and look at all the holding, grabbing, bumping and grinding that took place before anyone could even get the ball.

Exactly. That's pretty much what I was getting at. Some of these posters adhere to the ' A>B, B>C, so A>C logic', when there's so many dynamics at work in terms of how teams match up with each other.

Im Still Ballin
04-06-2016, 09:15 AM
League wide defenses are much stronger today

72 wins in 1996 correlates to 65 wins today

andgar923
04-06-2016, 09:17 AM
It's crazy because the general consensus is that Golden State would win

It's what you hear on the courts

The word round the streets

Maybe around a circle of 17 year olds.

Im Still Ballin
04-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Nah bro you ain't been around the streets holmes

It's the word

It ain't about the 96 bulls no more

they talk about the 16 warriors

like they were legend

90sgoat
04-06-2016, 09:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1MWkWT320

The Bulls were lean, fast, could move without the ball, EVERYONE on the team could read and pass very well.

They had 4 players 6'6 and taller that could run the offense with ease. Seven footers that could post AND shoot, set screens so they're always a threat on the pick, had 3pt shooters to open the floor and stretch out the defense.

Seriously, how are they gonna lose to the Warriors?

The Warriors are small in the paint and like Da Realist and other mentioned, they're one dimensional and are beat whenever teams avoid out shooting them and specially when teams get physical with them.

There's a reason why PJ signed his old guys like Harper for the Lakers too. It's because those guys were smart and understood the triangle.

Try to look at how the Knicks do with their 'implementation' (:roll: ) of the triangle, then compare to the fluidity, ease and speed of which the 96 Bulls played. There's a reason this team was at rockstar levels of fame and it wasn't just having MJ, the team just played amazing passing and dynamic basketball.

Your clip there shows it. MJ, Pippen, Harper, all are able to effortlessly play the post/passing man or play the cutting man.

The high post elbow post-up is the basis of the triangle, where you then get cuts and backdoor cuts from your wing guys. Each of the Bulls players could play that post including Rodman, Kukoc and Longley, each are good passers.

That means Klay and Curry will get posted up time and time again, if GSW don't double, the post man, will simply turn around, fake and drive to the basket without ANY resistance due to defensive 3 seconds.

Bulls played a game far ahead of their time, they did away with a center based defense for a perimeter based, they did away with the ball dominant point guard for an equal opportunity passing game.

You simply can't 'hide' Curry against the bulls each of their guards are big and strong. Look at how easily Westbrook posts up Curry and he is 6-3, Harper and Jordan were legit 6-6 and Pippen 6-7.

Dragonyeuw
04-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Nah bro you ain't been around the streets holmes

It's the word

It ain't about the 96 bulls no more

they talk about the 16 warriors

like they were legend

Well that settles that then.

riseagainst
04-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Curry would literally drop 70 points on these fools.

bdreason
04-06-2016, 03:44 PM
You know Bulls homers are reaching when their primary argument is predicting a player will be in foul trouble every game. :oldlol:

Optimus Prime
04-06-2016, 05:34 PM
This thread has been useful in revealing the trolls who know nothing about basketball and think that the NBA only started in 2003 (or worse, 2010). :facepalm

If using 90's NBA rules:

Are you kidding me? The 90s were still the era of the Bad Boy Pistons, the Jordan Rules, the Riley Knicks, etc. The Bulls would absolutely dominate the Warriors and make them cry. It wouldn't even be close. MJ and Pip would completely shut down Curry and Klay. What are the Warriors going to do without the silliness of all these no-defense 3-point shootouts that are rampant today?

96 Bulls sweep, easily, by at least 20 points per game.

If using current NBA rules:

The Warriors would fare a bit better with the rules of today, but come on man. MJ with today's Ultra Charmin NBA rules? He'd average 50+ PPG and could build a mansion at the free throw line because he would be living there full-time. The Warriors would be able to get buckets because of the soft defensive rules of today, but the Bulls would make it extremely tough. The 96 Bulls were an all-time elite level defense. MJ and Pippen would make Curry and Klay really work for those points, and Rodman would absolutely feast on the rebounds and average 20+ per game.

Warriors steal one or two games if they get scorching hot, but again, the 96 Bulls still win with relative ease.

It is baffling how many kids don't understand the history of the game at all and think LeBron and Curry are the best thing since sliced bread.

Smoke117
04-06-2016, 05:50 PM
There's a reason why PJ signed his old guys like Harper for the Lakers too. It's because those guys were smart and understood the triangle.

Try to look at how the Knicks do with their 'implementation' (:roll: ) of the triangle, then compare to the fluidity, ease and speed of which the 96 Bulls played. There's a reason this team was at rockstar levels of fame and it wasn't just having MJ, the team just played amazing passing and dynamic basketball.

Your clip there shows it. MJ, Pippen, Harper, all are able to effortlessly play the post/passing man or play the cutting man.

The high post elbow post-up is the basis of the triangle, where you then get cuts and backdoor cuts from your wing guys. Each of the Bulls players could play that post including Rodman, Kukoc and Longley, each are good passers.

That means Klay and Curry will get posted up time and time again, if GSW don't double, the post man, will simply turn around, fake and drive to the basket without ANY resistance due to defensive 3 seconds.

Bulls played a game far ahead of their time, they did away with a center based defense for a perimeter based, they did away with the ball dominant point guard for an equal opportunity passing game.

You simply can't 'hide' Curry against the bulls each of their guards are big and strong. Look at how easily Westbrook posts up Curry and he is 6-3, Harper and Jordan were legit 6-6 and Pippen 6-7.

Ron Harper was actually horrible and had a tough time learning the triangle when he first joined the Bulls. Luckily for him he became fast friends with Scottie who is the master of the triangle and helped him learn it.

CuterThanRubio
04-06-2016, 08:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4xwcxo9gk

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 10:55 AM

:applause:

I don't think the '16 Warriors would have trouble scoring against the '96 Bulls.

navy
04-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Basically. :lol

97 bulls
04-09-2016, 11:27 AM

I don't think the '16 Warriors would have trouble scoring against the '96 Bulls.
I don't think so either. If the. Bulls just allowed them to do what they want. The Dubs problem would be how they're gonna defend the Bulls size.

It never ceases ro amze me when these types of conversations come up where the Bulls are one of the participants. 90% of the argument is how the Bulls are gonna stop the opposing team. Well damn, the opposing team has to try to stop the Bulls as well. And the Bulls had the best offense during their run. As well as the greatest scorer ever. And there is Nooooo one on that team capable of even slightly controlling Jordan.

The Bulls always had an easy time vs finest teams like the Warriors.

Rodman would drive Draymond Green nuts. And dominate the boards.

And most importantly. .... who is Steph Curry gonna guard when the Bulls go big????? He'll going big kept the Cavs competive vs the Warriors last year. And two of their best players were hurt.

Da_Realist
04-09-2016, 11:45 AM

I don't think the Bulls went into the game focused on Rex Chapman. They were probably more focused on Alonzo Mourning. Truth be told, they probably weren't that focused anyway due to the Heat's depleted lineup. Even still Rex was probably not highlighted on the chalkboard before the game.

If you place that team against the Bulls in the playoffs and Rex was the main guy to focus on, it would have been much more difficult for him to go off.

Later in the playoffs that year, Rex played the 3rd most minutes and averaged 9 pts on 43% shooting.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 12:02 PM
I don't think the Bulls went into the game focused on Rex Chapman. They were probably more focused on Alonzo Mourning. Truth be told, they probably weren't that focused anyway due to the Heat's depleted lineup. Even still Rex was probably not highlighted on the chalkboard before the game.

If you place that team against the Bulls in the playoffs and Rex was the main guy to focus on, it would have been much more difficult for him to go off.

Later in the playoffs that year, Rex played the 3rd most minutes and averaged 9 pts on 43% shooting.

Interesting...

how about this quote...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12282183&postcount=134

A single game, in which the Warriors played like shit. And yet, an expansion team torched the Bulls defense in '96, the Knicks slaughtered them by 32 that year, and here is a game in which the plodding and depleted Heat run and shoot the Bulls to death.

Look, if the Wolves and Warriors played in a playoff series, I suspect that GS would win every game by 30+.

As for the '96 Bulls...they never faced a team that could shoot like this year's Warriors. GS can put five guys on the floor that shoot from all over. In fact, while we know that the Bulls would struggle from the normal 3pt line, that 24 ft distance means nothing to players like Curry and Klay. Hell, Curry is shooting as well from 30 feet as he is from anywhere else.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 12:12 PM
I don't think so either. If the. Bulls just allowed them to do what they want. The Dubs problem would be how they're gonna defend the Bulls size.

It never ceases ro amze me when these types of conversations come up where the Bulls are one of the participants. 90% of the argument is how the Bulls are gonna stop the opposing team. Well damn, the opposing team has to try to stop the Bulls as well. And the Bulls had the best offense during their run. As well as the greatest scorer ever. And there is Nooooo one on that team capable of even slightly controlling Jordan.

And most importantly. .... who is Steph Curry gonna guard when the Bulls go big????? He'll going big kept the Cavs competive vs the Warriors last year. And two of their best players were hurt.

And it never ceases to amaze me that there are those that disparage the Warriors DEFENSE. They were basically first in defense last year, and while the Spurs having been playing historically great this year...the Warriors have out-defensed them H2H.

Size? C'mon. The Spurs put Aldridge and Duncan on the floor, and GS blew them out.

Last year the 6-6 Green castrated the 7-1 Marc Goobersol one-on-one defensively, and blew around him like a cement statue at the other end.

Furthermore, the Sonics were no better a defensive team that GS has been in the last two years, and yet they reduced the Bulls to a horrific offensive showing in the Finals. Hell, had they put Payton on MJ sooner, instead of game four, they might have eked out a series win.

And you are confusing one-on-one defense with TEAM defense. Just WATCH the Warriors play. Every single dribble and pass is contested. And you forget about attacking the rim. Green and Bogut would be superior to any two that the Bulls could put in the lane.

Furthermore, we KNOW that the '96 Bulls would struggle from a normal three-point line (just look at the '98 Bulls, who couldn't hit shit from the standard arc.) Meanwhile, this year's Warriors laugh at the 23' 9" distance. That is like a lay-up for Curry and Klay.

Again, I don't know who would win this mythical match-up, but I certainly don't see the Bulls coming close to a sweep. In fact, I think a red-hot Warriors team would blow up a peak Bulls team. They likely would take 30-40 3's, and if they are hitting them...sorry, it's lights out for the Bulls.

Fire Colangelo
04-09-2016, 12:25 PM

That's the thing though.... you can't really go big vs the Warriors, otherwise you're pretty much trading 2 points for 3 points.

As for Rodman vs Draymond Green.... Green isn't an iso player, his biggest strengh comes from setting illegal screens for Curry. There isn't much Rodman can do about that IMO.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 12:35 PM
That's the thing though.... you can't really go big vs the Warriors, otherwise you're pretty much trading 2 points for 3 points.

As for Rodman vs Draymond Green.... Green isn't an iso player, his biggest strengh comes from setting illegal screens for Curry. There isn't much Rodman can do about that IMO.

THAT is where the Bulls would struggle.

And Green is a Rodman-type of defender, as well. Again, he easily outplayed Goobersol one-on-one at both ends of the floor in last year's playoffs. And Bogut is a much better defensive center than the clods that the Bulls had in '96.

And again, you are right about size. The Warriors force teams to play small-ball. Otherwise, it is a 3 pt fest.

Finally... the Warriors are a GREAT defensive team. To think that MJ and company are just going to score at will against them is laughable. The Bulls struggled against the Sonics in the '96 Finals, and I'm sorry...that Sonics team was no better defensively than the Warriors have been in the last two years.

And one of the advantages that the Sonics had was that they could basically ignore Chicago's 3pt shooting (even with a shortened line.) The Bulls shot 26% against them from them from the shorter arc. The Warriors would congest the defensive end, as Seattle did, and let the Bulls flail away from the normal arc. Meanwhile, at the other end, they would have to chase the Warrior shooters all over the floor. Sorry, but Chicago couldn't put five defenders on the floor that could do that.

Da_Realist
04-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Interesting...

how about this quote...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12282183&postcount=134

A single game, in which the Warriors played like shit. And yet, an expansion team torched the Bulls defense in '96, the Knicks slaughtered them by 32 that year, and here is a game in which the plodding and depleted Heat run and shoot the Bulls to death.

Look, if the Wolves and Warriors played in a playoff series, I suspect that GS would win every game by 30+.

As for the '96 Bulls...they never faced a team that could shoot like this year's Warriors. GS can put five guys on the floor that shoot from all over. In fact, while we know that the Bulls would struggle from the normal 3pt line, that 24 ft distance means nothing to players like Curry and Klay. Hell, Curry is shooting as well from 30 feet as he is from anywhere else.

It's really not that hard. I never said anything about the Wolves and Warriors. I know the Warriors are better than the Wolves and even said that. I countered your argument that Chicago would have to be 3pt aces to beat Golden State. They wouldn't. Minnesota did not outshoot the Warriors but they did work the post. That's why they won. The Bulls, who mastered this, would be able to do the same thing especially since MJ is the best perimeter scorer in history with a flawless postgame. I stand by this and consider anyone an idiot that thinks MJ wouldn't kill the wide open lanes and soft defenses presented today.

On the other hand, Miami was not a perimeter team. The Bulls were focused on Mourning, not Chapman. True, Golden State gets most of their points by shooting from all five positions but that also plays into Chicago's hands. The Bulls would not need to worry so much about anyone's post presence and would focus exclusively on making those outside shots difficult. There is no Mourning, Ewing or Olajuwon to distract them. They'd gameplan for it. They are recognized as a dominant perimeter defensive team for a reason.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 12:47 PM
It's really not that hard. I never said anything about thhe Wolves and Warriors. I know the Warriors are better than the Wolves and even said that. I countered your argument that Chicago would have to be 3pt aces to beat Golden State. They wouldn't. Minnesota did not outshoot the Warriors but they did work the post. That's why they won. The Bulls, who mastered this, would be able to do the same thing especially since MJ is the best perimeter scorer in history with a flawless postgame. I stand by this and consider anyone an idiot that thinks MJ wouldnt kill the wide open lanes and soft defenses presented today.

On the other hand, Miami was not a perimeter team. The Bulls were focused on Mourning, not Chapman. True, Golden State gets most of their points by shooting from all five positions but that also plays into Chicago's hands. The Bulls would not need to worru so much about anyone's post presence and would focus exclusively on making those outside shots difficult. There is no Mourning, Ewing or Olajuwon to distract them. They'd [i]gameplan[\i] for it. They are recognized as a dominant perimeter defensive team for a reason.

You basically claimed that the Wolves could beat GS without the 3pt shot. ONE damned game. Furthermore, how have two elite post players, Duncan and Aldridge fared against GS this year? And Goobersol couldn't hit a shot against the one-on-one defense of Green in last year's playoffs.

And how come this unstoppable Jordan couldn't shoot for shit against the Sonics in the Finals (and was absolutely reduced to a brick-layer when the Sonics moved Payton onto him)?

I'm supposed to believe that one of the greatest defensive teams of their era, the Warriors, would have fared worse than the Sonics?

And there is simply no way even Pippen and Jordan could stay with Curry and Klay all game long. Those two only need an inch of space to score...from anywhere. Not to mention the wide-open looks that Barnes and Green would be getting.

Da_Realist
04-09-2016, 12:52 PM
You basically claimed that the Wolves could beat GS without the 3pt shot. ONE damned game. Furthermore, how have two elite post players, Duncan and Aldridge fared against GS this year? And Goobersol couldn't hit a shot against the one-on-one defense of Green in last year's playoffs.

And how come this unstoppable Jordan couldn't shoot for shit against the Sonics in the Finals (and was absolutely reduced to a brick-layer when the Sonics moved Payton onto him)?

I'm supposed to believe that one of the greatest defensive teams of their era, the Warriors, would have fared worse than the Sonics?

And there is simply no way even Pippen and Jordan could stay with Curry and Klay all game long. Those two only need an inch of space to score...from anywhere. Not to mention the wide-open looks that Barnes and Green would be getting.

I skimmed through most of this because I don't have time or desire to go back and reprove what I said just to keep arguing with you. I just told you what I said. I never insinuated the Wolves were the better team.

About the 96 Sonics -- They have nothing to do with this. They clutched and grabbed the Bulls for 6 games. If the Warriors played that type of defense, it would be a different story. But they don't so it's no use comparing them. When we see Steph clutch, fight and hold MJ before he even gets the ball, then we can compare. Today's rules don't allow you to bump and grind like that so there's no point comparing them.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 12:58 PM
I skimmed through most of this because I don't have time or desire to go back and reprove what I said just to keep arguing with you. I just told you what I said. I never insinuated the Wolves were the better team.

About the 96 Sonics -- They have nothing to do with this. They clutched and grabbed the Bulls for 6 games. If the Warriors played that type of defense, it would be a different story. But they don't so it's no use comparing them. When we see Steph clutch, fight and hold MJ before he even gets the ball, them we can compare. Today's rules don't allow you to bump and grind like that so there's no point comparing them.

You brought up ONE DAMNED game, as if it was an example of how to beat the Warriors. To be honest, the Warriors have lost games against far inferior teams this year...the few that they have lost...while crushing everyone else.

And everyone is acting like the Warriors wouldn't be able to play Pistons basketball. How do we know that?

What we do know, that their defense has been the best in the league in the last two years (sorry San Antonio...but H2H, the Warriors have romped.)

And again...let the Warriors completely ignore Chicago's 3pt shooting, and congest the defensive end...and let's see how MJ would have fared.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Some other examples...

how would the Warriors, or Bulls, have fared against the mid-80's Lakers, or '86 Celtics, or '83 Sixers?

And just a decade before that, the '72 Lakers?

And a few years before that...the '67 Sixers.

Match-up problems all over the place for both of them.

Da_Realist
04-09-2016, 01:04 PM
You brought up ONE DAMNED game, as if it was an example of how to beat the Warriors. To be honest, the Warriors have lost games against far inferior teams this year...the few that they have lost...while crushing everyone else.

And everyone is acting like the Warriors wouldn't be able to play Pistons basketball. How do we know that?

What we do know, that their defense has been the best in the league in the last two years (sorry San Antonio...but H2H, the Warriors have romped.)

And again...let the Warriors completely ignore Chicago's 3pt shooting, and congest the defensive end...and let's see how MJ would have fared.

1) If the Warriors play like the Sonics, then that means the Bulls could play like that. Welcome back to the 90's. Even bigger advantage for the Bulls. Not to mention how that style would affect the Warriors play -- they'd essentially be a different team.

2) MJ faced congested defenses his whole career. Still averaged 30 on 50% even with all the clutching and grabbing. Get real. (Shout out to OldSchoolBball lol)

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 01:14 PM
1) If the Warriors play like the Sonics, then that means the Bulls could play like that. Welcome back to the 90's. Even bigger advantage for the Bulls. Not to mention how that style would affect the Warriors play -- they'd essentially be a different team.

2) MJ faced congested defenses his whole career. Still averaged 30 on 50% even with all the clutching and grabbing. Get real. (Shout out to OldSchoolBball lol)

The '16 (and '15) Warriors are a near all-time great defense. I suspect that they could have played more like the Sonics, but there is no way that the Sonics could have approached the Warriors shooting. Nor did the Bulls ever face a team that could shoot like GS.

Again...Pippen (and other's here) are claiming a sweep. There is virtually no historical evidence to support it. Hell, had Karl put Payton on MJ sooner in the '96 Finals, who knows how that series would have played out?

And I'm sorry, but the '96 Sonics PALE in comparison to the '16 Warriors (who are miles better than their '15 squad.)

BTW, MJ averaged 27.3 ppg on a .439 eFG% against the Sonics in the '96 Finals. And when Karl finally put the Glove on him, it dropped to 23.7 ppg on a .367 eFG%.

Fire Colangelo
04-09-2016, 02:14 PM
THAT is where the Bulls would struggle.

And Green is a Rodman-type of defender, as well. Again, he easily outplayed Goobersol one-on-one at both ends of the floor in last year's playoffs. And Bogut is a much better defensive center than the clods that the Bulls had in '96.

And again, you are right about size. The Warriors force teams to play small-ball. Otherwise, it is a 3 pt fest.

Finally... the Warriors are a GREAT defensive team. To think that MJ and company are just going to score at will against them is laughable. The Bulls struggled against the Sonics in the '96 Finals, and I'm sorry...that Sonics team was no better defensively than the Warriors have been in the last two years.

And one of the advantages that the Sonics had was that they could basically ignore Chicago's 3pt shooting (even with a shortened line.) The Bulls shot 26% against them from them from the shorter arc. The Warriors would congest the defensive end, as Seattle did, and let the Bulls flail away from the normal arc. Meanwhile, at the other end, they would have to chase the Warrior shooters all over the floor. Sorry, but Chicago couldn't put five defenders on the floor that could do that.

Agreed.

Not saying the Bulls won't win, but it'll be a tough series for both teams.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Agreed.

Not saying the Bulls won't win, but it'll be a tough series for both teams.

:cheers:

97 bulls
04-09-2016, 02:58 PM
And it never ceases to amaze me that there are those that disparage the Warriors DEFENSE. They were basically first in defense last year, and while the Spurs having been playing historically great this year...the Warriors have out-defensed them H2H.

ITS not a question of their defense. It's MATCHUPS!!!!!!! Come on bro. It's a matter of who will do a better job of taking the other out of their comfort zone. The Bulls side is talking about a weakness. You're talking about the Warriors overcoming the Bulls strength. Advantage Bulls.

Size? C'mon. The Spurs put Aldridge and Duncan on the floor, and GS blew them out.

Last year the 6-6 Green castrated the 7-1 Marc Goobersol one-on-one defensively, and blew around him like a cement statue at the other end.
I'm not talking about size at the Center or Power Forward position. I'm talking about the Bulls size at the wings.

Furthermore, the Sonics were no better a defensive team that GS has been in the last two years, and yet they reduced the Bulls to a horrific offensive showing in the Finals. Hell, had they put Payton on MJ sooner, instead of game four, they might have eked out a series win.
Oh come on. Pippen played with injuries, Kukoc, played with injuries and Harper missed a few games. And even still the Bulls were up 3-0 on the Sonics. And for goodness sake stop trying to say Jordan ha d a bad series. He didnt. He had three bad shooting games and even then the Bulls won 2 of those games.

And you are confusing one-on-one defense with TEAM defense. Just WATCH the Warriors play. Every single dribble and pass is contested. And you forget about attacking the rim. Green and Bogut would be superior to any two that the Bulls could put in the lane.
No. You're not acknowledging the Bulls style. The Bulls ran the Triangle offense. Originally called the triple post. POST!!!!!. The first option is posting Jordan, and then everyone else cuts off of screens. They don't run offenses like today. Iso or try to out three point shoot their opposition.

Furthermore, we KNOW that the '96 Bulls would struggle from a normal three-point line (just look at the '98 Bulls, who couldn't hit shit from the standard arc.) Meanwhile, this year's Warriors laugh at the 23' 9" distance. That is like a lay-up for Curry and Klay.
So what???? I and many other have already conceded that the Bulls couldn't out shoot the Warriors. THEY DON'T HAVE TO!!!!!!

Again, I don't know who would win this mythical match-up, but I certainly don't see the Bulls coming close to a sweep. In fact, I think a red-hot Warriors team would blow up a peak Bulls team. They likely would take 30-40 3's, and if they are hitting them...sorry, it's lights out for the Bulls.
Except for the fact that after they make that three, they have to come back and play defense. Here's where you are totally not getting. The Bulls are gonna expose Curry. And even if Harper is in the game, He doesn't HAVE to take threes if he's open. He can dive to the basket. And he was an excellent finisher at the rim. If Kerr is in, put him on Barnes or Iguodala. And you still come out winning cuz now, it's a matter of Barnes trying to outdo Jordan or Pippen. And let's not forget that under these new rules, the Bulls are now free to roam. Just like the Dubs can have one of those nights where they're unstoppable offensively? The Bulls can have those nights where their defense is so stifling that it's as if there's 7 guys out there instead of 5. Why? Beaune they cover so much ground.

I don't see the Bulls sweeping the Warriors under today's rules. But it would be an easy win. They'd get two games tops. Under the old rules? Where you can grab and hold? They may get one. And I could see a sweep.

CuterThanRubio
04-09-2016, 03:52 PM

Nice excuse.

They weren't prepared? There were only EIGHT players in uniform, how could they overlook the starting SG>?

Why didn't they adjust when he started making shots?

Rex is the perfect example of how a modern team would RAVAGE the 90s.

The Warriors have an entire team of players capable of exploding out of the blue, but the Bulls only have two main scoring threats.

Nobody is sweeping a 70 win team, period.

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 12:31 PM
ITS not a question of their defense. It's MATCHUPS!!!!!!! Come on bro. It's a matter of who will do a better job of taking the other out of their comfort zone. The Bulls side is talking about a weakness. You're talking about the Warriors overcoming the Bulls strength. Advantage Bulls.

I'm not talking about size at the Center or Power Forward position. I'm talking about the Bulls size at the wings.

Oh come on. Pippen played with injuries, Kukoc, played with injuries and Harper missed a few games. And even still the Bulls were up 3-0 on the Sonics. And for goodness sake stop trying to say Jordan ha d a bad series. He didnt. He had three bad shooting games and even then the Bulls won 2 of those games.

No. You're not acknowledging the Bulls style. The Bulls ran the Triangle offense. Originally called the triple post. POST!!!!!. The first option is posting Jordan, and then everyone else cuts off of screens. They don't run offenses like today. Iso or try to out three point shoot their opposition.

So what???? I and many other have already conceded that the Bulls couldn't out shoot the Warriors. THEY DON'T HAVE TO!!!!!!

Except for the fact that after they make that three, they have to come back and play defense. Here's where you are totally not getting. The Bulls are gonna expose Curry. And even if Harper is in the game, He doesn't HAVE to take threes if he's open. He can dive to the basket. And he was an excellent finisher at the rim. If Kerr is in, put him on Barnes or Iguodala. And you still come out winning cuz now, it's a matter of Barnes trying to outdo Jordan or Pippen. And let's not forget that under these new rules, the Bulls are now free to roam. Just like the Dubs can have one of those nights where they're unstoppable offensively? The Bulls can have those nights where their defense is so stifling that it's as if there's 7 guys out there instead of 5. Why? Beaune they cover so much ground.

I don't see the Bulls sweeping the Warriors under today's rules. But it would be an easy win. They'd get two games tops. Under the old rules? Where you can grab and hold? They may get one. And I could see a sweep.

Size at the wings?

Curry is 6-3. Iggy is 6-3 with a staggering vertical. Klay is 6-5. And Livingston is 6-7.

BTW, Iggy would give MJ fits just as he did Lebron last year. Jeez, Jordan struggled against Payton in the Finals, forcryingoutloud.

Kerr? He would be a HUGE liability in a series. He can't dribble, and he can't defend anyone. He was strictly a catch-and-shoot player...albeit, the ONLY Bulls player who would be able to shoot a three-point shot from the normal line.

And playing DEFENSE? The Warriors were the easily the best defensive team in the league last year, and to be honest, they just destroyed a near-historically great defense in the Spurs, TWICE this season. In fact, in their lone loss against SA, they still had 30 open looks, but only made 15 of them (contrast that to their last meeting, in which GS went 21-24 on uncontested shots.)

There is simply NO WAY that the Bulls are going to be capable of defending the ENTIRE Floor, and at Golden State's pace.

And again, people are using "peaks" from MJ, Pippen, and Rodman, when the reality was, all three were on the decline...including Jordan. Rodman was a beast on the glass, but he could not have defended Green at that time.

And you are completely ignoring players like Barnes and Iggy's offense. Put Green at center, where he has proven to be capable of defending post players like Goobersol...and then put Barnes, Iggy, Klay, and Curry out there...and there is just no way that the Bulls could defend their speed, and their range.

And again, take away a declining MJ, and a declining Pippen, and that basically leaves Kukoc as the Bulls only other offensive threat. Their centers, who probably would not even be on the floor for most of the series, would be useless against Bogut and even Green. Harper was done. Kerr would be a liability. So, in reality, all the Warriors would have to do is contain Jordan (not stop him...just contain him), give Pippen's his points, and let the other's flail away.

Sorry, but best case scenario for your Bulls...a close seven game series win. More than likely, though, I think the Warriors would explode on them too often.

The Warriors are a great and balanced offensive juggernaut that forces tempo and has unlimited range...AND, they have proven to be a great DEFENSIVE team, as well.

j3lademaster
04-10-2016, 01:06 PM
They allowed JOHN STOCKTON to drop 15 and 8 on them while shooting 50 and 40.This guy talking about a top 5 pg all time('only' top 5 giving benefit of the doubt to haters) like him having 15/8 on you is some kind of embarassment :facepalm

CuterThanRubio
04-10-2016, 03:39 PM
This guy talking about a top 5 pg all time('only' top 5 giving benefit of the doubt to haters) like him having 15/8 on you is some kind of embarassment :facepalm

On 50 and 40?

That isn't good defense.

Stockton isn't top 5 btw.

The 96 Bulls lost to the Hornets, featuring Dell Curry, who dropped 19 on them, you are telling me his superstar spawn wouldn't do DAMAGE?

I thought the Bulls size and length would keep smaller guards from creating space?

Explain how Damon Stoudamire AKA Mighty Mouse was able to nail 6 threes on his way to leading the Toronto Raptors to the upset?

97 bulls
04-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Size at the wings?

Curry is 6-3. Iggy is 6-3 with a staggering vertical. Klay is 6-5. And Livingston is 6-7.

BTW, Iggy would give MJ fits just as he did Lebron last year. Jeez, Jordan struggled against Payton in the Finals, forcryingoutloud.

Kerr? He would be a HUGE liability in a series. He can't dribble, and he can't defend anyone. He was strictly a catch-and-shoot player...albeit, the ONLY Bulls player who would be able to shoot a three-point shot from the normal line.

And playing DEFENSE? The Warriors were the easily the best defensive team in the league last year, and to be honest, they just destroyed a near-historically great defense in the Spurs, TWICE this season. In fact, in their lone loss against SA, they still had 30 open looks, but only made 15 of them (contrast that to their last meeting, in which GS went 21-24 on uncontested shots.)

There is simply NO WAY that the Bulls are going to be capable of defending the ENTIRE Floor, and at Golden State's pace.

And again, people are using "peaks" from MJ, Pippen, and Rodman, when the reality was, all three were on the decline...including Jordan. Rodman was a beast on the glass, but he could not have defended Green at that time.

And you are completely ignoring players like Barnes and Iggy's offense. Put Green at center, where he has proven to be capable of defending post players like Goobersol...and then put Barnes, Iggy, Klay, and Curry out there...and there is just no way that the Bulls could defend their speed, and their range.

And again, take away a declining MJ, and a declining Pippen, and that basically leaves Kukoc as the Bulls only other offensive threat. Their centers, who probably would not even be on the floor for most of the series, would be useless against Bogut and even Green. Harper was done. Kerr would be a liability. So, in reality, all the Warriors would have to do is contain Jordan (not stop him...just contain him), give Pippen's his points, and let the other's flail away.

Sorry, but best case scenario for your Bulls...a close seven game series win. More than likely, though, I think the Warriors would explode on them too often.

The Warriors are a great and balanced offensive juggernaut that forces tempo and has unlimited range...AND, they have proven to be a great DEFENSIVE team, as well.
You're just saying nonsense now. Trying to compare guys that are 6'3 to 6'8 to guys that are 6'6 to 6'11? Did you not see what skinny 6'7 Shawn Livingston did to Jordan Farmer late in the game last night? And Farmer is a much better defender than Curry. Jordan at 6'6 would absolutely murder Curry in the post. Pippen as well. There isn't a lineup the Warriors could trot out that the Bulls couldn't counter and destroy.

You're making my argument for me. Once you concede that Curry will be neutralized by alluding to Barnes and Iguodala, then you've lost the debate. Plain and simple. And for goodness sake do not try to compare Lebron James to Jordan. Jordan's skillset is night and day when compare to James. That's why Iguodala played him so well.

As far as their age, I don't give a damn if they were 557 years old. They won in dominant fashion in 96, repeated it in 97 with another 69 win, then removed their second best player in 98 for half the season and still had the best record.

Your arguments are a joke when it comes to this particular case bro. Stand down and stick to Wilt Chamberlain threads.

iznogood
04-10-2016, 04:18 PM

This is not the way GS defended Gasol.

What they wuld do is they would bring and extra man early to prevent or discourage Gasol any catches close to the basket after the roll so he had to post up much further from the basket. Second of all they had Bogut (not) guard Tony Allen and serve as a help defender all most of the time. Still Gasol managed to score 22 and 23 the last 2 game Memphis lost.

That being said, Gasol is not a phisically dominant center, especially after his weight cut. He's also very slow and is exactly the type of player Green normally excels at guarding. I don't think Green is the post defender Rodman was.

Even though, what I wrote is not pertinent to the situation that's being discussed. The Bulls didn't even have a dominant low post scorer on the positions Draymond Green guards. Draymond would probably struggle at times on defensive glass, but he wouldn't be giving much size (if any?) to Rodman the way he did to Tristan Thompson. On the other hand, Rodman from that period was not too fond of defending the perimeter.

Dragonyeuw
04-10-2016, 05:12 PM
As far as their age, I don't give a damn if they were 557 years old. They won in dominant fashion in 96, repeated it in 97 with another 69 win, then removed their second best player in 98 for half the season and still had the best record.

Amazing they won 62 with Pip missing 38 games. Makes you wonder if that team would have broken its own record set 2 years prior had Pip been healthy.

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 06:24 PM
You're just saying nonsense now. Trying to compare guys that are 6'3 to 6'8 to guys that are 6'6 to 6'11? Did you not see what skinny 6'7 Shawn Livingston did to Jordan Farmer late in the game last night? And Farmer is a much better defender than Curry. Jordan at 6'6 would absolutely murder Curry in the post. Pippen as well. There isn't a lineup the Warriors could trot out that the Bulls couldn't counter and destroy.

You're making my argument for me. Once you concede that Curry will be neutralized by alluding to Barnes and Iguodala, then you've lost the debate. Plain and simple. And for goodness sake do not try to compare Lebron James to Jordan. Jordan's skillset is night and day when compare to James. That's why Iguodala played him so well.

Your arguments are a joke when it comes to this particular case bro. Stand down and stick to Wilt Chamberlain threads.

Jordan had three straight POOR shoot FINALS. This was NOT the MJ of the early 90's. He shot .455, .427, and that putrid .415 against Seattle. BTW, he only shot .367 against the 6-4 Glove in the last three games of the '96 Finals. Clearly, Karl blew that series by not having Payton defending Jordan from the outset.

As for Iggy-Lebron. Lebron has been among the most efficient scorers in the league in the last several years. To insinuate that a premier defender like Iguodala would not slow Jordan down is ridiculous.

But let's take a closer look at some MYTHS that have been perpetrated here. There are those that claim that defenses are much softer, and it is supposedly easier to score today, than in the 90's (using '96 as an example.)

Hmmm...

In the 95-96 season, and with a SHORTENED 3pt line...the NBA shot a league-wide .499 eFG%. How about FG%, since they took considerably less 3pt shots then? League-wide FG% was .486.

Fast-forward to this season. League-wide eFG%...again with a LONGER 3pt arc... .502. Oh, and only last year, it was .496. How about FG%? .452.

Wait...you mean teams are shooting worse FG%'s today???

Ok, then just how great was Seattle's defense in '96? They allowed 96.7 ppg and limited teams to an eFG% of .479, and a FG% of .438. And, as we know, they completely reduced Jordan's '96 Bulls to pure shit shooting of a .416 FG%, and only .263 from the SHORTENED arc.

Let's compare the '16 Spurs defense, shall we? They are allowing 92.9 ppg on a .479 eFG%, and a FG% of .437. In other words, in EVERY metric, the Spurs are playing MUCH better defense than Seattle did in '96.

How have the Warriors fared against the Spurs this year? Even with that aberration in San Antonio, in which they scored 79 points on a .378 FG% (but missed 15 of 30 uncontested shots), they have, overall, averaged 103.7 ppg on a .488 FG% (I won't bother figuring eFG%.) Throw out that 79 point game, and the Warriors averaged 116 ppg on a .530 FG%!

Furthermore, for the idiots that say that teams don't play defense as well today, as they did in the 90's...there is footage on YouTube of Curry hitting something like 77 3pt shots in a row. And yet, he is "only" shooting .452 from the arc this year. Something just doesn't add up, does it?

So, if the Sonics could reduce the Bulls offense (and MJ) to horrific shooting, I'm supposed to believe that a Warriors team that has out-defensed the Spurs in their three games, is going to have trouble containing that Bulls offense? C'mon, use your head.

And that is only the DEFENSIVE side of the ball. As we know, this year's Warriors are just blowing away the league in scoring, eFG%, and TS%. Including destroying San Antonio's historically strong defense.

Again, there is simply no way that Pippen, or Jordan, can stay with Curry for an entire game. And he is just one of SEVERAL mis-matches on the offensive end that the Bulls would have to defend. they would have no one to defend Green (sorry, a '96 Rodman would have no desire to chase him out to the 3pt line); A 6-7 Thompson would give either Jordan or Pippen all they could handle, as well. He has a lightning quick release and like Curry, the 3pt line is a joke to him. He and Curry shoot 27+ft shots like layups. Then there are Harrison Barnes, who simply cannot be left open, and Iggy, who is adept at shooting the three, or driving the lane. Same with Barbosa. And a 6-7 Livingston will hit 15-20 ft shots on exceptional percentages. Hell, you can't leave Bogut alone, either. And again, he is a much better defender, and passer than the cement statues that the Bulls had at center in '96.

I'm sorry, but the more I break down this hypothetical series, the more inclined I am to believe that the Warriors would win easily. And in no case would the Bulls come close to sweeping them.

Overdrive
04-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Jordan had three straight POOR shoot FINALS. This was NOT the MJ of the early 90's. He shot .455, .427, and that putrid .415 against Seattle. BTW, he only shot .367 against the 6-4 Glove in the last three games of the '96 Finals. Clearly, Karl blew that series by not having Payton defending Jordan from the outset.

As for Iggy-Lebron. Lebron has been among the most efficient scorers in the league in the last several years. To insinuate that a premier defender like Iguodala would not slow Jordan down is ridiculous.

But let's take a closer look at some MYTHS that have been perpetrated here. There are those that claim that defenses are much softer, and it is supposedly easier to score today, than in the 90's (using '96 as an example.)

Hmmm...

In the 95-96 season, and with a SHORTENED 3pt line...the NBA shot a league-wide .499 eFG%. How about FG%, since they took considerably less 3pt shots then? League-wide FG% was .486.

Fast-forward to this season. League-wide eFG%...again with a LONGER 3pt arc... .502. Oh, and only last year, it was .496. How about FG%? .452.

Less FG%, but more eFG%. Could it be that teams just shoot more threes that bring the FG% down, but not any stats that incorporates PPP or three point shooting itself?

Ok, then just how great was Seattle's defense in '96? They allowed 96.7 ppg and limited teams to an eFG% of .479, and a FG% of .438. And, as we know, they completely reduced Jordan's '96 Bulls to pure shit shooting of a .416 FG%, and only .263 from the SHORTENED arc.

Let's compare the '16 Spurs defense, shall we? They are allowing 92.9 ppg on a .479 eFG%, and a FG% of .437. In other words, in EVERY metric, the Spurs are playing MUCH better defense than Seattle did in '96.

So they allow the same percentages, but 92.9? What does this tell us? The pace is slower. Of course that's thanks to the good clock management and sophisticated offense the Spurs play. But that doesn't say they're better than the Sonics. One could argue the opposite. The Sonics obviously played at an higher pace and still kept opponents to the same percentages.

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Less FG%, but more eFG%. Could it be that teams just shoot more threes that bring the FG% down, but not any stats that incorporates PPP or three point shooting itself?

So they allow the same percentages, but 92.9? What does this tell us? The pace is slower. Of course that's thanks to the good clock management and sophisticated offense the Spurs play. But that doesn't say they're better than the Sonics. One could argue the opposite. The Sonics obviously played at an higher pace and still kept opponents to the same percentages.

The Sonics allowed 96.7 ppg in a league-wide pace of 91.8. The Spurs are allowing 92.9 ppg in a league-wide pace of 95.8. Again, there is NO metric in which the '96 Sonics were a better defensive team than the '16 Spurs.

And yet the Warriors have put up 103.7 ppg on a .488 FG% against the Spurs, and that includes that 79 point game on .378 shooting.

tpols
04-10-2016, 07:02 PM
The Sonics allowed 96.7 ppg in a league-wide pace of 91.8. The Spurs are allowing 92.9 ppg in a league-wide pace of 95.8. Again, there is NO metric in which the '96 Sonics were a better defensive team than the '16 Spurs.

And yet the Warriors have put up 103.7 ppg on a .488 FG% against the Spurs, and that includes that 79 point game on .378 shooting.

the bulls would be in for a surprise .. biggest thing is green on rodman, how does he guard him ? Old rodman was strong post defense, no way he could handle a PF with quickness, handle and passing ability of green.. plus range out to 25.

This would be such a shock to them, the spacing Golden State could create is something theyve never come close to seeing.. it would make their trapping pressure defense worn out by halftime.

97 bulls
04-10-2016, 07:09 PM

Hmmm...

How have the Warriors fared against the Spurs this year? Even with that aberration in San Antonio, in which they scored 79 points on a .378 FG% (but missed 15 of 30 uncontested shots), they have, overall, averaged 103.7 ppg on a .488 FG% (I won't bother figuring eFG%.) Throw out that 79 point game, and the Warriors averaged 116 ppg on a .530 FG%!

Furthermore, for the idiots that say that teams don't play defense as well today, as they did in the 90's...there is footage on YouTube of Curry hitting something like 77 3pt shots in a row. And yet, he is "only" shooting .452 from the arc this year. Something just doesn't add up, does it?

So, if the Sonics could reduce the Bulls offense (and MJ) to horrific shooting, I'm supposed to believe that a Warriors team that has out-defensed the Spurs in their three games, is going to have trouble containing that Bulls offense? C'mon, use your head.

And that is only the DEFENSIVE side of the ball. As we know, this year's Warriors are just blowing away the league in scoring, eFG%, and TS%. Including destroying San Antonio's historically strong defense.

Again, there is simply no way that Pippen, or Jordan, can stay with Curry for an entire game. And he is just one of SEVERAL mis-matches on the offensive end that the Bulls would have to defend. they would have no one to defend Green (sorry, a '96 Rodman would have no desire to chase him out to the 3pt line); A 6-7 Thompson would give either Jordan or Pippen all they could handle, as well. He has a lightning quick release and like Curry, the 3pt line is a joke to him. He and Curry shoot 27+ft shots like layups. Then there are Harrison Barnes, who simply cannot be left open, and Iggy, who is adept at shooting the three, or driving the lane. Same with Barbosa. And a 6-7 Livingston will hit 15-20 ft shots on exceptional percentages. Hell, you can't leave Bogut alone, either. And again, he is a much better defender, and passer than the cement statues that the Bulls had at center in '96.

I'm sorry, but the more I break down this hypothetical series, the more inclined I am to believe that the Warriors would win easily. And in no case would the Bulls come close to sweeping them.
Follow me. I agree that as great as Jordan and Pippen are defensively, I concede they can't keep up with Curry for 48 min. My whole argument centers around them MAKING CURRY PLAY DEFENSE. If they go after him, it's over. Either he's gonna be in foul trouble or they're gonna have huge offensive nights.

Please counter this argument

97 bulls
04-10-2016, 07:10 PM

Lol. The Spurs don't even care about playing the Warriors now. They've rested Duncan. Hell they're resting Duncan tonight.

97 bulls
04-10-2016, 07:17 PM
the bulls would be in for a surprise .. biggest thing is green on rodman, how does he guard him ? Old rodman was strong post defense, no way he could handle a PF with quickness, handle and passing ability of green.. plus range out to 25.

This would be such a shock to them, the spacing Golden State could create is something theyve never come close to seeing.. it would make their trapping pressure defense worn out by halftime.
Why does everyone act as if Rodman couldn't defend the perimeter anymore? Where's the example? He didn't HAVE to do it. Phil Jackson said Rodman was the best athlete he's ever coached. That's including prime Jordan, Bryant, and Pippen.

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Follow me. I agree that as great as Jordan and Pippen are defensively, I concede they can't keep up with Curry for 48 min. My whole argument centers around them MAKING CURRY PLAY DEFENSE. If they go after him, it's over. Either he's gonna be in foul trouble or they're gonna have huge offensive nights.

Please counter this argument

Curry is 6-3 and is leading the league in spg. He is not a great defender, but who does he HAVE to defend on the Bulls? How about Harper, or Kerr? He wouldn't have to defend Harper, and Kerr is not running away from him.

I don't see your argument at all. BTW, Curry is a decent rebounder. He is averaging 5.5 rpg in his 34 mpg. For comparison sake, MJ averaged 6.6 rpg in his 37 mpg in '96.

Again, you are comparing MJ, Pippen, and Rodman...all in a state of decline...to a peak Curry, Thompson, and Greem (hell, all three may get even better...Curry is dramatically better this year than last year.)

The Bulls offense is just not balanced enough to give the Warriors problems. I am not saying that MJ wouldn't hang 30 ppg on them...but they certainly could congest the defensive end, and make MJ have to work for his points. And Pippen was a good, but not great offensive player. And with the extended 3pt line, both would not be defended to the line. Maybe Kukoc scores some, and if Kerr gets some looks, he might. But that's it.

However, at the other end, Chicago now has to extend their defense way out of their norm, and they simply can't double anyone. Not only that, but this year's Warriors would force the Bulls to play a high tempo game, and that would certainly give GS an edge.

Again...maybe a close series. But sorry, no way the Bulls dominate the Warriors. They couldn't dominate the offensively hapless Sonics in the '96 Finals. I don't them having close to that same success against the Warriors.

Overdrive
04-10-2016, 07:20 PM

What does league wide pace have to do with a single team's pace? If two teams allow the same percentages, but one receives more points they obviously play more possessions per game defensively. That's simple mathematical logic...

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Why does everyone act as if Rodman couldn't defend the perimeter anymore? Where's the example? He didn't HAVE to do it. Phil Jackson said Rodman was the best athlete he's ever coached. That's including prime Jordan, Bryant, and Pippen.

A '96 Rodman was not going to leave the paint. Plain-and-simple. Especially out to 25 feet. That would negate his greatest strength,... rebounding. An '88 Rodman would have, but not a '96 Dennis.

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 07:24 PM
What does league wide pace have to do with a single team's pace? If two teams allow the same percentages, but one receives more points they obviously play more possessions per game defensively. That's simple mathematical logic...

And yet the Warriors are scoring 104 ppg, in a league that is averaging 102, and against a team that is allowing 93.

But, how about FG% and eFG%? The '16 Spurs are better at both defensively, than the '96 Sonics were. And doing so, while allowing less ppg, in a higher-paced league.

Overdrive
04-10-2016, 07:31 PM
And yet the Warriors are scoring 104 ppg, in a league that is averaging 102, and against a team that is allowing 93.

But, how about FG% and eFG%? The '16 Spurs are better at both defensively, than the '96 Sonics were. And doing so, while allowing less ppg, in a higher-paced league.

Here are the eFG% and FG% you posted:

97 bulls
04-10-2016, 07:34 PM
A '96 Rodman was not going to leave the paint. Plain-and-simple. Especially out to 25 feet. That would negate his greatest strength,... rebounding. An '88 Rodman would have, but not a '96 Dennis.
He did in 98 vs Malone.

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Of course the Warriors then proceed to score 14 points on a 21.1 FG% in the first quarter...just to make me look bad.

To hell with them...go Spurs!

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 07:50 PM
I take back everything I posted.

The '96 Sixers would have swept this Warriors team.

They are on pace for perhaps the lowest scoring game in the post-shot clock era.

And to hell with Curry, too. I could shut him down.

tpols
04-10-2016, 09:39 PM

rodman lacked the quickness he had in his youth .. he still had the endurance, and additional strength, but he definitely could not keep up with a pf like draymond all the way out on the perimeter.

Did you watch tonights game?

Draymond took danny green, a shooting guard, off the dribble out the triple threat for an and-1 ... and routinely blows by defenders and streaks to the rim. post 95 rodman was not equipped to deal with guys like that, and thats not even mentioning the other side of the ball where rodman is a total zero, and would allow draymond to help strong.

CuterThanRubio
04-10-2016, 10:17 PM
The Warriors are now officially the best team ever.

The only team to not lose to the same team more than once in a single season (Indiana beat the 96 Bulls TWICE)

Scottie should issue and apology for his statement!

97 bulls
04-10-2016, 11:43 PM
rodman lacked the quickness he had in his youth .. he still had the endurance, and additional strength, but he definitely could not keep up with a pf like draymond all the way out on the perimeter.

Did you watch tonights game?

Draymond took danny green, a shooting guard, off the dribble out the triple threat for an and-1 ... and routinely blows by defenders and streaks to the rim. post 95 rodman was not equipped to deal with guys like that, and thats not even mentioning the other side of the ball where rodman is a total zero, and would allow draymond to help strong.
Lol. Danny Green???? Come bro. I think Rodman now wouldve done a better job. Either way. Wheres your proof. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence (i think i said that right). Just because he never did it in Chicago hardly means he couldnt. He didnt have to.

Green leaving Rodman? You cant be serious. Rodman would kill them on the boards if that happened

LAZERUSS
04-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Lol. Danny Green???? Come bro. I think Rodman now wouldve done a better job. Either way. Wheres your proof. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence (i think i said that right). Just because he never did it in Chicago hardly means he couldnt. He didnt have to.

Green leaving Rodman? You cant be serious. Rodman would kill them on the boards if that happened

Ultimately we will never know how this mythical series would have played out. I just don't believe that either team would have dominated the other.

:cheers:

90sgoat
05-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Delusional ****tard. Just like Dr. Retard and the Big Dumbass.

This is coming from someone who HATES the Warriors, BTW.

:roll:

I'm not buying it.

Straight_Ballin
05-24-2016, 11:41 PM
Anyone who was forged by Jordan is correct in their opinion.

Aka Scottie

90sgoat
05-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Anyone who was forged by Jordan is correct in their opinion.

Aka Scottie

This thread is like a testament to who knows ball and who doesn't.

deja vu
05-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Pippen :bowdown:

TheMan
05-24-2016, 11:45 PM
The Warriors are now officially the best team ever.

The only team to not lose to the same team more than once in a single season (Indiana beat the 96 Bulls TWICE)

Scottie should issue and apology for his statement!
:facepalm

Ben Simmons
05-24-2016, 11:47 PM
He wasnt lying

deja vu
05-24-2016, 11:50 PM
Lazeruss gonna change his mind now. :lol Where are you grandpa?

NBAGOAT
05-24-2016, 11:54 PM
are the people who commented recently here really believe the warriors are worse than the sonics even with how bad they look now? A team that wasn't exactly known for playing well in pressure situations either. :facepalm.

90sgoat
05-24-2016, 11:56 PM
are the people who commented recently here really believe the warriors are worse than the sonics even with how bad they look now? A team that wasn't exactly known for playing well in pressure situations either. :facepalm.

I don't know, Sonics didn't lose in conference finals.

Honestly, these GSW is like a slightly better Steve Nash Suns.

NBAGOAT
05-24-2016, 11:59 PM
I don't know, Sonics didn't lose in conference finals.

Honestly, these GSW is like a slightly better Steve Nash Suns.

And I argue OKC now is better than the 96 Jazz easily especially with how they're playing now. The only Jazz team that is arguable vs OKC is 97(Stockton was on the decline in 98).

Edit: and comparing them to Suns is unfair. Even with how bad Warriors have looked on defense, they've still never been as bad as the Suns on that end. Suns have an edge on offense however.

kamil
05-25-2016, 12:09 AM
The series aint over yet for GSW, but it's not likely for them to win.

With that said, I was going to say it'll be pretty embarrassing for a 73-9 team to not even make the finals, but let's be real... the East sucks. The real finals are happening right now.

90sgoat
05-25-2016, 12:15 AM
And I argue OKC now is better than the 96 Jazz easily especially with how they're playing now. The only Jazz team that is arguable vs OKC is 97(Stockton was on the decline in 98).

Edit: and comparing them to Suns is unfair. Even with how bad Warriors have looked on defense, they've still never been as bad as the Suns on that end. Suns have an edge on offense however.

Difficult to say, very different teams.

As always though Bulls match up extremely well with Pippen on Durant and MJ on Westbrook, though Harper would do most of the running.

These Thunder would make enough WCF in the 90s thats for sure.

NBAGOAT
05-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Difficult to say, very different teams.

As always though Bulls match up extremely well with Pippen on Durant and MJ on Westbrook, though Harper would do most of the running.

These Thunder would make enough WCF in the 90s thats for sure.

i mean I don't doubt the Bulls would beat the Thunder. They matchup with anyone well defensively. OKC really don't have anyone to put on Jordan besides Roberson and Rodman pretty much nullifies OKC's rebounding advantage they usually have. Doubt it's anywhere close to a sweep however.