PDA

View Full Version : How effective would Draymond Green have been against Rodman (in a series)?

Tarik One
04-06-2016, 01:29 PM
The one factor no one talks about in a Warriors/Bulls matchup.

As talented as he is, Draymond is still somewhat of an emotionally immature player and Rodman was very good at getting into to guy's heads, especially the one's who get riled up easily.

I can definitely see Rodman having his way both mentally and physically (defense and rebounds) and putting Draymond into a frustration level like he has never seen. He may end up getting ejected or missing a game due to flagrants or technicals. Seriously.

Haymaker
04-06-2016, 01:36 PM

As talented as he is, Draymond is still somewhat of an emotionally immature player and Rodman was very good at getting into to guy's heads, especially the one's who get riled up easily.

I can definitely see Rodman having his way both mentally and physically (defense and rebounds) and putting Draymond into a frustration level like he has never seen. He may end up getting ejected or missing a game due to flagrants or technicals. Seriously.

Under today's rules, Rodman would foul out quickly. Back then Green would've punched Rodman before halftime.

Prime_Shaq
04-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Rodman would've gotten under Draymond's skin

Orlando Magic
04-06-2016, 01:45 PM
I honestly don't even understand how such a mouth breathing fat retard can be as good as he is.

But on topic... Rodman would **** him up with mind games and Green would crack hard.

Jasper
04-06-2016, 04:54 PM
for some reason I see Green running over Rodman and getting his 6 foul .

Rodman standing up and lol, the way only he can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUa_bqIZOQk ex malone and rodman fun on the floor

KungFuJoe
04-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Green is actually a very smart player...very strong mental game. High IQ and though he plays with a lot of emotion he's not a bonehead like Cousins.

I don't think someone like Green lets anyone get into his head.

Real Men Wear Green
04-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Rodman's head games were a double-edged sword. He got a lot of techs himself and was ejected/suspended as much as anyone. Remember when he was banned 11 games for kicking the cameraman? He wasn't always in control, he wasn't just some mind-control mastermind. It was more like he was taking someone on the opposing team down with him. That was great for the Bulls because he would be double-teching it with someone that was more important to the opposing team than he was to the Bulls, like when he got in Zo's head for the Heat. Zo or Karl Malone were the most important players on the other team. Draymond Green on the other hand is second or third for the Warriors. As Rodman was the third-most important Bull even if Rodman got the tech's coming it would be an equal trade-off.

And have we seen Green majorly lose his cool on the court? He blew up in the locker room a few weeks ago but the only ejection I can think of was vs. the Clippers Christmas some years ago. He plays with an edge but he's not a headcase. You can't count on the antics to derail Green.

But with all that said...Rodman's legit abilities as an all-time great defender would keep Green in the single digits most nights and his relentless energy on the boards would bring Green's impact down there as well.

zbott
04-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Rodman would live in his head .... rent free .... :lol

boldarblood
04-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Green is a great talent, any team would benefit greatly from having him. That being said, Rodman is an all time great. I believe that Rodman is capable of shutting down Green. Rodman is just so incredibly gifted, as an athlete he was one of the best, as a rebounder, he was the best, and he could defend just about anyone. (guarded from Jordan to Shaq effectively) Phil Jackson called him the greatest athlete he ever coached, and Bryant backed it up.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/Kobe_Agrees_With_Phil_Rodman_Was_a_Better_Athlete_ than_Michael_Jordan.html

That being said, love watching Green play, the little engine that could. But I take Rodman.

jstern
04-06-2016, 10:16 PM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/Kobe_Agrees_With_Phil_Rodman_Was_a_Better_Athlete_ than_Michael_Jordan.html
:applause:

Lebron23
04-06-2016, 10:19 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403208

90sgoat
04-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Green is a great talent, any team would benefit greatly from having him. That being said, Rodman is an all time great. I believe that Rodman is capable of shutting down Green. Rodman is just so incredibly gifted, as an athlete he was one of the best, as a rebounder, he was the best, and he could defend just about anyone. (guarded from Jordan to Shaq effectively) Phil Jackson called him the greatest athlete he ever coached, and Bryant backed it up.

That being said, love watching Green play, the little engine that could. But I take Rodman.

Rodman was a crazy athlete, no one had stamina like him and NO ONE ever in the sport has been able to jump once twice three times for a rebound, Rodman could jump basically full height 3 times in a row. That and well he could hustle for as long as he was on the court, him and MJ being some of the hardest workers with mad stamina ever.

I don't know if Green is really a headcase or just dramatic, I think he is just dramatic, but Rodman got under the skin of anyone, Zo and Malone were very composed guys, so eventually Green would get really tired of the pushing, shoving, elbows, smothering of Rodman. If Rodman weren't on the Bulls I'd have hated seeing him on the opposing team.

Straight_Ballin
04-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Rodman would live in his head .... rent free .... :lol

Not to mention a top 3 shit talker in MJ adding fuel to the fire....

raprap
04-06-2016, 11:01 PM
Green is actually a very smart player...very strong mental game. High IQ and though he plays with a lot of emotion he's not a bonehead like Cousins.

This. The guy wears his heart on his sleeves but I've never really seen him get out of control by his emotions. Idk what op is talking about. Maybe i missed something? :confusedshrug:

plowking
04-06-2016, 11:14 PM
lol at people thinking Rodman was some mind-f*ck mental god who could destroy anyone.

They'd play basketball and match up pretty well.

boldarblood
04-07-2016, 01:03 AM
Rodman was a crazy athlete, no one had stamina like him and NO ONE ever in the sport has been able to jump once twice three times for a rebound, Rodman could jump basically full height 3 times in a row. That and well he could hustle for as long as he was on the court, him and MJ being some of the hardest workers with mad stamina ever.

I don't know if Green is really a headcase or just dramatic, I think he is just dramatic, but Rodman got under the skin of anyone, Zo and Malone were very composed guys, so eventually Green would get really tired of the pushing, shoving, elbows, smothering of Rodman. If Rodman weren't on the Bulls I'd have hated seeing him on the opposing team.

Agreed with you completely, and I am not even a Bulls fan (or Detroit for that matter, Lakers fan). Rodman is one of my all time favorite players, easily top 3.

His ability to jump and hustle are 2nd to none in my years of watching NBA (44 now, been seriously watching since about 13). I loved how he was able to play mind games with others, ability to get under the skin of players. Just so much fun to watch.

Youtube has a great documentary about him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1D99aTNx6E
Dennis Rodman - Beyond the Glory

G-train
04-07-2016, 01:53 AM
'96 Bulls Rodman would be an excellent power forward/centre in today's NBA, and with the advanced stats movement, he would be considered for MVP.
His defence, rebounding, hustle and IQ on both ends has NEVER been seen before.
And while rarely seen in his actual career, I believe he would have developed his 3 PT shot in today's NBA. Just my personal opinion of following Rodman for basically his entire career.
Basic stats I could see something like 10/18/3, with all time elite defence and IQ.

It would be a competitive battle between Green and Rodman, but I see Rodman have greater overall impact.

ClipperRevival
04-07-2016, 02:04 AM

Worthy also said Rodman was the best athlete he ever played aginst.

ClipperRevival
04-07-2016, 02:11 AM
As for the topic, I have no doubt Rodman makes Green snap at some point. The best version of Rodman to guard Green would be probably be the Piston's version imo. Green might play the 5 at times but he spends a lot of the time on the move, on the perimeter, creating for others and the p&r. The more athletic, mobile and quicker Rodman would be better for the job than the primarily post defending Bulls Rodman. Can't imagine how dominant a guy like Rodman would be in today's game as a rebounder and defender.

dhsilv
04-07-2016, 02:13 AM
Rodman's skill is rebounding, Green would pull him away from the basket reducing his best value. Today you can't get physical on the perimeter. So at least in today's rules Rodman's still an amazing defender, but Green plays against his better skills.

dhsilv
04-07-2016, 02:14 AM
As for the topic, I have no doubt Rodman makes Green snap at some point. The best version of Rodman to guard Green would be probably be the Piston's version imo. Green might play the 5 at times but he spends a lot of the time on the move, on the perimeter, creating for others and the p&r. The more athletic, mobile and quicker Rodman would be better for the job than the primarily post defending Bulls Rodman. Can't imagine how dominant a guy like Rodman would be in today's game as a rebounder and defender.

Given he'd be asked to guard guys at the 3 point line, how many rebounds does he really get? 10-12? I can't see the 15+ stuff.

Lebron23
04-07-2016, 02:19 AM
Rodman would get inside his fat head, and shut him down.

ClipperRevival
04-07-2016, 02:19 AM
Rodman's skill is rebounding, Green would pull him away from the basket reducing his best value. Today you can't get physical on the perimeter. So at least in today's rules Rodman's still an amazing defender, but Green plays against his better skills.

Not true at all. Pistons Rodman was an ultra athletic, mobile and quick 3 who guarded mostly perimeter players. This was before he became a GOAT level rebounder. He was winning DPOY for mostly his D, not just his tebounding. It wasn't until he aged more when he moved to the 4 and started guarding in the post where he became a GOAT level rebounder.

ClipperRevival
04-07-2016, 02:22 AM
Given he'd be asked to guard guys at the 3 point line, how many rebounds does he really get? 10-12? I can't see the 15+ stuff.

Yeah but it's a small ball league. He won't have to compete with guys like Hakeem, Shaq, Barkley, Malone, etc. He would be going up against guys similar in size and with his nose for the ball, ability to box out, desire and stamina, he would get his. And a lot of 3s mean long rebounds.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-07-2016, 02:24 AM
Rodman would body him on the glass offensively and defensively. Draymonds playmaking would still be elite Rodman wasnt the best at taking away passing angles. Hes stronger and has quicker anticipation and footspeed than Draymond, was clearly more athletic, agile and coordinated as well. His motor was even better and hes just as tenacious as Draymond if not more so. Draymonds scoring would suffer but hed still average double digits

in a series hed prolly get like 12, pts 7 boards, 8.5 assists on meh percentages but hed still be playing DPOY defense

dhsilv
04-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Not true at all. Pistons Rodman was an ultra athletic, mobile and quick 3 who guarded mostly perimeter players. This was before he became a GOAT level rebounder. He was winning DPOY for mostly his D, not just his tebounding. It wasn't until he aged more when he moved to the 4 and started guarding in the post where he became a GOAT level rebounder.

Defense and rebounding are connected. Rodman was 3rd in the NBA in total rebound percentage when he won his first defensive player of the year title.

I don't disagree that Rodman was a great defender, EVERYWHERE, but his strengths would not play into playing against Green. Green is not the type of player that Rodman would do the most "damage" to, is all I'm saying.

dhsilv
04-07-2016, 02:36 AM
Yeah but it's a small ball league. He won't have to compete with guys like Hakeem, Shaq, Barkley, Malone, etc. He would be going up against guys similar in size and with his nose for the ball, ability to box out, desire and stamina, he would get his. And a lot of 3s mean long rebounds.

Or they'd move him to center? If Ben Wallace can do it...

Tarik One
04-07-2016, 08:25 AM
This. The guy wears his heart on his sleeves but I've never really seen him get out of control by his emotions. Idk what op is talking about. Maybe i missed something? :confusedshrug:
I never stated he got out of control, but he has been on the edge noticeably many occasions over some of the most minor things. A guy like Rodman would tip him over.

bizil
04-07-2016, 05:51 PM
With Rodman, u are talking ARGUABLY the greatest rebounding and defensive forward of all time. And Rodman was a freak athlete to boot. Rodman has the capabilities to totally take Dray out of the game scoring wise. Dray doesn't have the scoring acumen to overcome what Rodman could throw at him.

A huge part of Dray's game is being able to take PF's and C's away from the basket to wreak havoc. From there, teams have to downsize to keep up. Once they do that, Dray is too physical. With Rodman, NONE OF THAT SHIT HAPPENS!! At PF or C, Rodman could defend ANYBODY that the Warriors have. Don't get me wrong, Dray would still be droppin dimes. And with Rodman, Dray doesn't have to worry about scoring.

Rodman is a HUGE REASON why I would favor the Bulls over the Warriors. If the Bulls wanted to have Pippen at PF and Rodman at C to match the Warriors small ball, they could do that. Of they could go with Kukoc at PF and Rodman at C to go with MJ-Pip-Harper.

Dragonyeuw
04-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Rodman was able to check better players than Draymond in his day. It would be a good matchup. I don't know about the 'mind-games' thing, but he'd be effective.

Dragonyeuw
04-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Rodman's skill is rebounding, Green would pull him away from the basket reducing his best value.

Rodman was grabbing 18 rebounds while defending small forwards ( out on the perimeter) during his Pistons prime.

Lebron23
04-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Rodman was grabbing 18 rebounds while defending small forwards ( out on the perimeter) during his Pistons prime.

He needs to watch some Rodman Games on youtube.

iamgine
04-08-2016, 07:25 AM

Rodman is much more likely to be ejected.

Even back then, he was getting T'ed up pretty often. One can only imagine him playing in today's less physical and much more PC environment. A player like him, there would be a target on his back from the referees.

It won't be Draymond getting frustrated, it would be Rodman.

ClipperRevival
05-25-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Rodman would've had Dray meltdown HARD. No way Dray, with his lack of discipline, be able to control himself with Rodman being all up under him both physically and verbally in a 7 game series.

Goldrush25
05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Rodman's skillset, while limited, was higher pitched and more reliable. He wasn't relied on for any offense. Both have high motors but Rodman's the better athlete. Rodman's perimeter defense was also excellent. I see Green being completely neutralized by Rodman.

ImKobe
05-25-2016, 01:37 PM
Rodman is much more likely to be ejected.

Even back then, he was getting T'ed up pretty often. One can only imagine him playing in today's less physical and much more PC environment. A player like him, there would be a target on his back from the referees.

It won't be Draymond getting frustrated, it would be Rodman.

Rodman was a master troll, he would adapt to the new rules.

He did a lot of the same shyt Green is doing and Green has been getting away with kicking guys in the nuts, pulling Adams' injured arm and he also tripped Kanter over in transition last game

It's not like he was Ron Artest.

He'd get Green in trouble. Green doesn't have enough patience, he would give in and get ejected.

sportjames23
05-25-2016, 08:34 PM

LOL

Goofsta Knicca
05-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Rodman wud grab Draymond's cawk n get him T'ed up n tossed. Rodzilla so much tougher mentally den dat ngga.

sd3035
05-25-2016, 08:44 PM

Rodman was one of the greats for stamina but the guy in your av is an absolute lunatic, he's certainly number 1

FKAri
05-25-2016, 08:44 PM
They both are emotionally unstable. Anything can happen.

90sgoat
05-25-2016, 08:48 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YaZAQHaGD30/UXt8A643h2I/AAAAAAAALaQ/Mi1mblIsp7A/s1600/Dennis-Rodman-Karl-Malone.gif

sd3035
05-25-2016, 08:49 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YaZAQHaGD30/UXt8A643h2I/AAAAAAAALaQ/Mi1mblIsp7A/s1600/Dennis-Rodman-Karl-Malone.gif

:roll: :roll: :roll:

sportjames23
05-25-2016, 08:58 PM

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

scandisk_
05-25-2016, 09:45 PM
The worm will reign victorious.

soots
05-26-2016, 01:14 AM
How many times have you seen Draymond lose it? or cross the line for techs?

How many times has Rodman done this?

Sorry, but Draymond is lightyears ahead of Rodmans mind games.

sportjames23
05-26-2016, 01:26 AM
How many times have you seen Draymond lose it? or cross the line for techs?

How many times has Rodman done this?

Sorry, but Draymond is lightyears ahead of Rodmans mind games.

So light years ahead that he got shook by Adams.