PDA

View Full Version : Sorority Cancels Kentucky Derby Party Because Theme Is Offensive

UK2K
04-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Being from Louisville, I attend the Kentucky Derby every year. If you've never had a chance to go, its probably the greatest live sporting event anywhere on the planet.

The grandstand is full of rich people in nice suits, while the infield is a wild ass party full of naked chicks and keg stands. Its funny because as the day goes on, you'll see girls in nice dresses start streaming into the infield because their stale ass boyfriends/husbands are boring AF.

[QUOTE]Every year, Kappa Delta Epsilon (KDE) holds an invite-only party in the spring. Until last year, the party was held the same weekend as the Kentucky Derby, which was used as the party

9erempiree
04-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Here we go again.

People getting offended about everything.

UK2K
04-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Here we go again.

People getting offended about everything.

In this case, you really have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to find this offensive.

Sometimes, these stories are so bizarre, I have to think they're satire. I mean, I honestly don't believe there's a 20 year old kid out there somewhere that saw this party and thought 'that's super racist'.

I don't believe it. I want to see them.

9erempiree
04-08-2016, 04:23 PM
In this case, you really have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to find this offensive.

Sometimes, these stories are so bizarre, I have to think they're satire. I mean, I honestly don't believe there's a 20 year old kid out there somewhere that saw this party and thought 'that's super racist'.

I don't believe it. I want to see them.

Just like that GAP advert.

I was trying hard to point out what I thought was racist but couldn't. It was till I read the article. People can be so dumb.:hammerhead:

Clifton
04-08-2016, 05:06 PM
KDE vice president Nikol Oydanich said house members were convinced by critics that the party was racially offensive because it evoked the aesthetics of the plantation-era South.

“[It is] related to pre-war Southern culture,” she said. “Derby was a party that had the power to upset a lot of our classmates.”
I live in Louisville as well.

What is said here is true. The aesthetic / theme is that of the pre-war South. Southern gentility... a southern gentility that depended on the institution of slavery for its existence. A southern gentility that was willing to kill people, in order to defend an inherently unjust institution, just to preserve itself.

And it's also true that, in this day and age, that has the power to upset a lot of people.

I don't agree with the idea that we should shun every aspect of the past that doesn't 100% line up with modern PC standards.

But if you do agree with that idea, (for example if you think Uncle Remus stories and Huckleberry Finn shouldn't be read in school), then you probably shouldn't have a Derby Party. The undertones of oppressive white southern gentility are there, these people aren't making them up.

Clifton
04-08-2016, 05:09 PM
What's funny is that this would never happen at the (extremely liberal) University of Louisville.

Because the only thing college students these days hate more than racism is doing away with an excuse to get drunk and party.

Duderonomy
04-08-2016, 05:11 PM
It's whitebread i'll give them that.

Keep the PC tards out of Utah they will find Mormons offensives too.

UK2K
04-08-2016, 05:37 PM
I live in Louisville as well.

What is said here is true. The aesthetic / theme is that of the pre-war South. Southern gentility... a southern gentility that depended on the institution of slavery for its existence. A southern gentility that was willing to kill people, in order to defend an inherently unjust institution, just to preserve itself.

And it's also true that, in this day and age, that has the power to upset a lot of people.

I don't agree with the idea that we should shun every aspect of the past that doesn't 100% line up with modern PC standards.

But if you do agree with that idea, (for example if you think Uncle Remus stories and Huckleberry Finn shouldn't be read in school), then you probably shouldn't have a Derby Party. The undertones of oppressive white southern gentility are there, these people aren't making them up.
Have you been to the derby?

How many blacks do you see? Cause I've seen plenty. You should let them know they should be offended.

Only in America would dressing up in nice clothes and enjoying horse racing be offensive.

We should ban cotton in the US cause it brings up memories of slavery.

knickballer
04-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Or how about the fraternity stop being such ******* and stopping an event because a few people protested for some BS reason.

People always complained and protested for stupid reasons. It's just nowadays people are succumbing to one idiot

bdreason
04-08-2016, 07:28 PM
This is how kids spend their friday nights these days eh? Protesting other peoples parties? :facepalm

ALBballer
04-08-2016, 08:22 PM
I'm tired of people giving into to these protests.

Even if we go under the assumption that a group is being racist and economically elitist (which doesn't appear to be the case) that doesn't make the party illegal. Freedom of assembly is allowed under the constitution. Freedom of speech is allowed under the constitution.

For ****s sake we have gotten to the point where individuals are the ones that are trying to take these rights away from people when we historically worried about the government interfering with these rights.

:hammerhead:

KyrieTheFuture
04-08-2016, 08:38 PM
So basically they weren't invited and bitched about it. Sweet. Also thought Sororities couldn't host parties

sundizz
04-09-2016, 02:10 AM
Frats r super racist. Same with sororities. They r cesspools of groupthink and validation. A house feel of disparate ideologies does not work. You need cohesion and that usually is achieved by an unnecessary feeling of protectionism against the "enemy." It is the reason most frats or sorority's are predominantly one race. Combine that with the inexperience of youth, the energy of hormones, and you are left with occasional terribleness or downright ignorance.

The point of college is to expand horizons by being exposed to a wider variety of people and experiences. These organizations retard their members by insulating the! In what is familiar (and usually strengthened through hatred of what is dissimilar).

Patrick Chewing
04-09-2016, 09:36 AM
People that dress nice tend to be nicer people.

American society is crumbling.

:facepalm

Im Still Ballin
04-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Lmao

Just smoke weed every day you friggin nerds

TheGreatDeraj
04-09-2016, 06:32 PM
lmao American just gets weaker every day

Every time these idiots get something cancelled for being "offensive" then another 1000 people vote for Trump so this insanity will stop.