PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Cousins or Howard at his peak?

TAZORAC
04-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Who would you rather have on your team...Howard pre-back problems or Cousins now?

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Howard.

Fire Colangelo
04-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Dwight.

People are forgetting how dominant Dwight was. Dude gave you 20 efficient points + 15 rebounds + ATG defense.

IllegalD
04-09-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm not even a Dwight Coward fan but I gotta' go with the guy who's carried teams to the playoffs/finals.

Im Still Ballin
04-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Dwight and I'll tell you why

Moderate volume
High efficiency
DPOY defense
Actually plays within himself, and makes others better

If only to keep it simple... The man with the proven resume. Cuz has got jack shit

Dr Hawk
04-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Howard. Defensive anchor (3xDPOY, 4 if not for injuries) and he would always force the other team to double him, thus creating great spacing for his team. Also, really efficient 20 points per night

FireDavidKahn
AT his peak, Howard wasn't a cancer and could actually anchor a defense.

StephHamann
Dwight and I'll tell you why

Moderate volume
High efficiency
DPOY defense
Actually plays within himself, and makes others better

If only to keep it simple... The man with the proven resume. Cuz has got jack shit

:applause:

Gileraracer
04-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Howar actually was a beast. What did DMC do other than put up empty stats? His team never won more than 30 games a season or so.

ClipperRevival
04-09-2016, 12:55 PM
To be fair to Cousins, he's only 25 and we don't know what he will do the next few years. But current version vs peak Howard? Howard all day. One of the best rim protectors ever, not in terms of blocks but being able to disrupt offenses because he was so explosive off the floor. Also one of the best ever at rebounding, put backs, alley opps and roller off the p&r. Not to mention, he wasn't exactly DeAndre Jordan on offense where almost all of his points came strictly off alley opps/put backs. He had a decent back to the basket game if he got deep position, sort of like Shaq.

Im Still Ballin
04-09-2016, 12:56 PM
One way you can put it is

Dwight is a flawed player

He's visibly limited in specific areas

Everyone knows it, most of the time if not all the time, he knows this

He plays to his abilities

THe problem with Demarcus is

He doesn't have clear flaws

He's slightly above average at everything

Which fuels his ego that he believes he's so damn great

Tries to do everything

He'll do so, inspite of winning games

As long as he gets his numbers

Im Still Ballin
04-09-2016, 12:59 PM
It makes you wonder if Demarcus is better suited to being a second/third option

His teams would probably win a lot more if he averaged 20/12/5, making the right basketball plays and being consistent with it

Kawhi
04-09-2016, 01:00 PM
This shouldn't even be a discussion.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 01:06 PM
It makes you wonder if Demarcus is better suited to being a second/third option

His teams would probably win a lot more if he averaged 20/12/5, making the right basketball plays and being consistent with it

I don't know if there is a coach that exists that can get the max out of Cousins, but I do know that he hasn't had a good one so far. I'm sorry, but Karl has been riding this year out.

Interesting too, that in the game's that I have followed, Cousins has done an outstanding job defensively...especially against the top-tier centers of this era.

ClipperRevival
04-09-2016, 01:09 PM
One way you can put it is

Dwight is a flawed player

He's visibly limited in specific areas

Everyone knows it, most of the time if not all the time, he knows this

He plays to his abilities

THe problem with Demarcus is

He doesn't have clear flaws

He's slightly above average at everything

Which fuels his ego that he believes he's so damn great

Tries to do everything

He'll do so, inspite of winning games

As long as he gets his numbers

He does have flaws. He's only great on one end and for a big, you can argue that it's more important for your big to be impactful on the D end vs the O end.

Im Still Ballin
04-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Demarcus has led defensive statistics for bigs before

He's a solid rim protector

He's certainly not a one way player

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 01:19 PM

I admit that I don't follow the Kings too closely, but in the games that I have, he has dominated the elite centers.

stalkerforlife
04-09-2016, 01:20 PM
LOL

Howard and it's not even close.

swagga
04-09-2016, 01:22 PM
op is a clown.

peak howard >>>>>>>> cousins.
peak howard took 2 games of a stacked lakers team on a run in which he also beat a 60 win lebron team.
peak cousins got his first 30 win season this year :lol

ClipperRevival
04-09-2016, 01:27 PM

He just never had the explosion, mobility and athleticism to be a rim protector. He could be solid when he wants to be but being a solid defender for a big is different from being a dominant rim protector/defender like Dwight. 1.2 bpg for his career is paltry.

ClipperRevival
04-09-2016, 01:28 PM
I admit that I don't follow the Kings too closely, but in the games that I have, he has dominated the elite centers.

Lol. Here you go with that Wilt logic, thinking bball is a one on one game. You have to consider how those numbers were accumulated. Within the flow or at the expense of it. Great numbers without proper context means nothing.

Smoke117
04-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Dwight obviously.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Lol. Here you go with that Wilt logic, thinking bball is a one on one game. You have to consider how those numbers were accumulated. Within the flow or at the expense of it. Great numbers without proper context means nothing.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Chamberlain one of the top-2 "one-on-one" defensive centers in NBA history, and easily the greatest rim protector. FAR greater at both than Hakeem BTW.

Smoke117
04-09-2016, 01:42 PM

Chamberlain one of the top-2 "one-on-one" defensive centers in NBA history, and easily the greatest rim protector. FAR greater at both than Hakeem BTW.

Woah...settle down.

ClipperRevival
04-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Cousins best 2 year run in bpg is 1.6, which, coincidentally equals MJ's best 2 year run in bpg.

LAZERUSS
04-09-2016, 02:20 PM
In their five H2H's in the last two seasons...Cousins vs Jordan...

Cousins: 25.2 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 4.0 apg, 1.8 bpg, .453 FG%, .461 3pt%, .711 FT%.

Jordan: 9.2 ppg, 13.0 rpg, 0.6 apg, 3.6 bpg, .576 FG%, .363 FT%,

west_tip
04-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Howard and it's not even debatable.

Gileraracer
04-09-2016, 05:18 PM

WOW against 60s and 70s midgets. Even DeAndre Jordan would've looked like GOD himself back then

PeroAntic
04-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Cousins is a better basketball player.