PDA

View Full Version : Can Curry surpass Magic Johnson?

Ca$H
04-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Surpassing Jordan will be difficult because of the significant edge that Jordan has on the defensive end. However, Curry might be able to surpass Magic Johnson.

Magic: 5

sd3035
04-12-2016, 10:01 AM
players should build super teams in the west like Lebald has been doing in the East

Kawhi and KAT to the Warriors

oops forgot about Durant, he can join too

feyki
04-12-2016, 10:11 AM
No .

choppermagic
04-12-2016, 10:20 AM
8-10 NBA championships?

Oh lord. Didn't people learn from the MIA "concert" mistake? Winning one ring is hard. Winnning back to back is even harder. The concept of winning 8-10 in today's game is pretty much a fantasy. To project that and then compare him to Magic is a waste of time.

FrobeShaw
04-12-2016, 10:23 AM
8-10 NBA championships?

Oh lord. Didn't people learn from the MIA "concert" mistake? Winning one ring is hard. Winnning back to back is even harder. The concept of winning 8-10 in today's game is pretty much a fantasy. To project that and then compare him to Magic is a waste of time.
meh

GSW just has to remain healthy. Age is on their side. Who else is even comparable with them going forward? The Thunder? They don't even know what they're doing. Spurs? Age. Cavs? Clippers? They're in line to 3peat at least

choppermagic
04-12-2016, 10:31 AM
meh

GSW just has to remain healthy. Age is on their side. Who else is even comparable with them going forward? The Thunder? They don't even know what they're doing. Spurs? Age. Cavs? Clippers? They're in line to 3peat at least

Really? And people were saying the same thing about the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. Even MIA was supposed to keep winning after they "figured" it out right? No team is going to stay on top for 8 rings these days.

Who is comparable? Who was on top 3-4 years ago? MIA, DAL? And now GSW is on top. Things change fast.

JohnnySic
04-12-2016, 10:34 AM
They might not even win it this year.

Dr Hawk
04-12-2016, 10:39 AM
He will need at least... 10 more superstar years

FrobeShaw
04-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Really? And people were saying the same thing about the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. Even MIA was supposed to keep winning after they "figured" it out right? No team is going to stay on top for 8 rings these days.

Who is comparable? Who was on top 3-4 years ago? MIA, DAL? And now GSW is on top. Things change fast.
I'm not saying 8 rings. I'm saying don't be surprised if they 3peat

warriorfan
04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
In terms of peaks Curry has already surpassed Magic Johnson

Curry just has to keep playing for a few more seasons

navy
04-12-2016, 10:53 AM
1 at a time.

Health is not guaranteed.

Ca$H
04-12-2016, 12:23 PM

Health is the major variable. If they win this year that is 2 titles already. If Durant joins 6 titles in 8 years might be pragmatic if they stay healthy.

bizil
04-12-2016, 12:59 PM
GOAT wise, we will have to see. AFTER Magic's rookie year, he was ALREADY one of the top five players in the world. At age 20!! So immediately, Magic started piling up his accolades. Even when he retired (the first time) at the age of 32, he was the GOAT PG. So Magic's rise up the GOAT charts was as rapid as it gets. But u never know what Steph will accomplish as time goes on. If he accomplishes what the OP laid out, then sure he could pass Magic.

Peak-best player wise, I think Steph is the 3rd best PG of all time:

Magic
Big O
Steph
Westbrook
Isiah

The MAIN PROBLEM Steph could run into (GOAT and peak-best player wise) is the bigger more versatile perimeter icons. I'm talking specifically MJ, Kobe, Bird, Magic, Bron, Big O, and Durant. Offensively, Steph is so dynamic that he can be just as dominant as ANYBODY! But the bigger perimeter legends can play more positions while dominating.

warriorfan
04-12-2016, 03:59 PM
GOAT wise, we will have to see. AFTER Magic's rookie year, he was ALREADY one of the top five players in the world. At age 20!! So immediately, Magic started piling up his accolades. Even when he retired (the first time) at the age of 32, he was the GOAT PG. So Magic's rise up the GOAT charts was as rapid as it gets. But u never know what Steph will accomplish as time goes on. If he accomplishes what the OP laid out, then sure he could pass Magic.

Peak-best player wise, I think Steph is the 3rd best PG of all time:

Magic
Big O
Steph
Westbrook
Isiah

The MAIN PROBLEM Steph could run into (GOAT and peak-best player wise) is the bigger more versatile perimeter icons. I'm talking specifically MJ, Kobe, Bird, Magic, Bron, and Big O. Offensively, Steph is so dynamic that he can be just as dominant as ANYBODY! But the bigger perimeter legends can play more positions while dominating.

Magic wouldn't be able to defend most of those guys you listed. Robertson also has his issues with matching up with lots of the guys you listed

Your whole playing more positions is just a random and flawed criteria you made up on the spot

Trying to say that Magic Johnson had any season greater than 2016 Steph Curry is nothing short of insanity

Dray n Klay
04-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Other than the fact that Curry might be the worst defender I've ever seen (including D-league, College, and rec league play) OP is on point

For perspective, Chauncey Billups is still better than Curry all-time

1 FMVP > 1 MVP

bizil
04-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Magic wouldn't be able to defend most of those guys you listed. Robertson also has his issues with matching up with lots of the guys you listed

Your whole playing more positions is just a random and flawed criteria you made up on the spot

Trying to say that Magic Johnson had any season greater than 2016 Steph Curry is nothing short of insanity

Having the GREATER SEASON and being the BETTER PLAYER are two different things!! When it comes to Magic and Big O vs. Steph, we gotta keep in mind that those two beat u with size, skill, and physicality. U can't just disregard that when comparing them to Steph. PLUS those two were pass first players who ALSO were alpha dogs.

So that combination of skills EASILY stacks up to what Steph brings to the table. All three are dominant players who changed the game in their won way. Preferring Magic or O over Steph ISN'T out of the question. Or vice versa. Westbrook in comparison to Curry is a close debate too. Backcourt wise, Curry vs. Westbrook looks like the new age West vs. Big O in a sense. So as great as Steph is, there are others guys BESIDES an MJ, Kobe, or Bron that are on his level or better. Some posters need to pump their breaks a bit..

Hoopz2332
07-14-2016, 12:45 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Mt71wDDEmBvgI/giphy.gif

K Xerxes
07-14-2016, 02:06 PM

Curry(if Durant joins): 8-10x NBA champion, 5-6x NBA Finals MVP(will probably split it with KD. He won't pull a 2011 NBA Finals Bran)

:oldlol:

These thread bumps are the best part of ISH

Nilocon165
07-14-2016, 02:07 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Doctor K
07-14-2016, 02:43 PM

Omg PERFECT for this thread

:roll: :roll:

warriorfan
07-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Curry didn't choke and doesn't choke, he is one of the most clutch players in the history of the game

In 2015 Curry put on one of the most clutch performances in Finals history

Most 4th Quarter Points during the Finals

1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

In the 2016 Finals he was not able to play as well as he did in 2015

What happened in 2016 that didn't happen in 2015? The major MCL injury

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/m_8DziMFB8s/0.jpg

Therefore we can conclude that Curry's MCL injury was the differentiating factor which lowered Curry's production

Nilocon165
07-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Curry didn't choke and doesn't choke, he is one of the most clutch players in the history of the game

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-14-2016, 03:30 PM

:facepalm You're such a cancerous Fakkit

Jasper
07-14-2016, 03:45 PM
OP is basing his talk on a 1 finals winner

:facepalm I am embarrassed for you :facepalm

Nilocon165
07-14-2016, 03:48 PM
:facepalm Read what warriorfan said

Hey Yo
07-14-2016, 03:51 PM
How's LeBron's ASS taste, bitch?

WITNESS!!

http://theybf.com/sites/default/files/cavs_win_0.jpg

Nilocon165
07-14-2016, 03:56 PM
How's LeBron's ASS taste, bitch?

WITNESS!!

http://theybf.com/sites/default/files/cavs_win_0.jpg
Wrong pic lol that's the ecf just sayin

riseagainst
07-14-2016, 05:29 PM

:roll:

inclinerator
07-14-2016, 05:31 PM

1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

Therefore we can conclude that Curry's MCL injury was the differentiating factor which lowered Curry's production

Ca$H
07-14-2016, 05:43 PM
LOL. I'm sorry that I can't predict injuries. If the Curry, KD, Klay, and Draygod core stays healthy then Curry can still end up with 7-8 titles which would put him over Magic. Only injuries can stop Curry now that he has KD.

SecondTake
07-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Curry cant even be top 10 with back to back finals choke jobs. Maybe top 10 reg season player, but not player

warriorfan
07-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Curry cant even be top 10 with back to back finals choke jobs. Maybe top 10 reg season player, but not player

1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

2015 Steph Curry had the most clutch performance in NBA history. The only player to score more 4th Quarter Finals points than Steph Curry was Shaquille Oneal, and he didn't even score one point more than Curry while Curry scored 14% more efficiently than Shaquille

The last thing you can call Curry's 2015 Finals performance is a choke job

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-14-2016, 06:29 PM
Magic Is A Fraud that played on a stacked team with 3 other HOF's and Pat Riley as the coach.

Steph>Magic:rockon: :rockon:

warriorfan
07-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Magic Is A Fraud that played on a stacked team with 3 other HOF's and Pat Riley as the coach.

People be tripping off Steph playing with Kevin Durant when Magic played with f ucking Kareem Abdul Jabbar :lol

Nilocon165
07-14-2016, 06:36 PM

C'mon now. You don't even believe that.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-14-2016, 06:37 PM
C'mon now. You don't even believe that.

I believe that Lebron is top 3 All Time.:rockon: :rockon:

Lebeast!

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-14-2016, 06:38 PM
People be tripping off Steph playing with Kevin Durant when Magic played with f ucking Kareem Abdul Jabbar :lol

AND JAMES FKN WORTHY In a historically weak West:roll: :roll:

SecondTake
07-14-2016, 06:48 PM

1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

2015 Steph Curry had the most clutch performance in NBA history. The only player to score more 4th Quarter Finals points than Steph Curry was Shaquille Oneal, and he didn't even score one point more than Curry while Curry scored 14% more efficiently than Shaquille

The last thing you can call Curry's 2015 Finals performance is a choke job

He put up those stats in garbage time, his finals was one of the biggest chokes ever, except it was surpassed by his even bigger choke in 2016. Stop posting this shit, nobody buys it.

warriorfan
07-14-2016, 06:54 PM
He put up those stats in garbage time, his finals was one of the biggest chokes ever, except it was surpassed by his even bigger choke in 2016. Stop posting this shit, nobody buys it.

Which game did he do this in? Do you remember? Do you have any proof?

Such as I remember when LeBron James was doing the exact thing you were talking about during the end of game 4 of the 2016 Finals

Here is a graphic with the breakdown

https://s32.postimg.org/p7m8ilodh/Le_Bron_Stat_Padding2016.jpg

I believe you are mistaken, LeBron was the one who was putting up "stats in garbage time", not Curry.

greatest-ever
07-14-2016, 07:34 PM
I don't know how you can say yes after seeing how much Curry underperformed in these last playoffs.

greatest-ever
07-14-2016, 07:36 PM

1993 Michael Jordan 10.3

Get Curry's dick out of your mouth.

Ca$H
07-14-2016, 07:49 PM
I don't know how you can say yes after seeing how much Curry underperformed in these last playoffs.

Magic choked in the 1984 Finals. They called him tragic johnson after that choke job. Magic was healthy and Curry was injured.

Pointguard
07-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Magic choked in the 1984 Finals. They called him tragic johnson after that choke job. Magic was healthy and Curry was injured.
But Magic already had two finals MVP's by then. Already proven himself a great big time player. Magic at 20 years old proved himself as a great big time performer in college and pro's, Curry will be trying to prove all of this at 29 years old next year. Curry could be argued the third best PG right now at what is usually the peak for a point guard. That shouldn't be when he has one of the best teams ever around him.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-14-2016, 10:30 PM
But Magic already had two finals MVP's by then. Already proven himself a great big time player. Magic at 20 years old proved himself as a great big time performer in college and pro's, Curry will be trying to prove all of this at 29 years old next year. Curry could be argued the third best PG right now at what is usually the peak for a point guard. That shouldn't be when he has one of the best teams ever around him.

:facepalm No one 2 years ago knew who the Warriors were nor knew who Klay Thompson or Draymond Green is. The Warriors are home grown and improved as a unit together. Now that they've become really good it's become a knock against curry because is in the team that drafted him. Drafted their core pieces and are already proven champions. Lol Magic had Prime KAJ and Worthy on his team. I would want to see what Magic does if he doesn't get drafted into the best Franchise in NBA history that attracts big names.

Warriors plain lost this year and the cavs deserve to win the Chip but people act like Steph getting injuried multiple times in the post season in this past playoffs had no impact on his less than stellar play.

Want to know what his playoff stats look like when he is complete and not injuried?

Also with that it shouldn't be. Steph Spent many years at Davidson. And then battle injury in his first few seasons but his numbers were still amazing even with those injuries. While Magic Johnson literally walked into the perfect situation with Multiple HOF's. The Arguable Goat in KAJ, top 5 SF all time in Worthy, Pat Riley and really solid players. As much as I dislike Lebron...... Lebron>Magic. Oh Yea the West was really weak.

Lol give me 2 other PGs when fully healthy that has Curry's ability, gravity, and impact.... Come on just try.....

Please be more logical when you're making such a farfetched statement.

Pointguard
07-14-2016, 11:15 PM
:facepalm No one 2 years ago knew who the Warriors were nor knew who Klay Thompson or Draymond Green is. The Warriors are home grown and improved as a unit together. Now that they've become really good it's become a knock against curry because is in the team that drafted him. Drafted their core pieces and are already proven champions. Lol Magic had Prime KAJ and Worthy on his team. I would want to see what Magic does if he doesn't get drafted into the best Franchise in NBA history that attracts big names.
When Magic showed himself with one of the best finals games ever, he didn't have KAJ or Worthy - he was 20 and a champion the year before that.

GS aren't proven champions. They were champions in a year when three of the four teams they faced had critical injuries. They lost to one of the teams when they were healthy in the next finals.

Magic had a better winning percentage without KAJ. Got into the finals without him as well.

Warriors plain lost this year and the cavs deserve to win the Chip but people act like Steph getting injuried multiple times in the post season in this past playoffs had no impact on his less than stellar play.

Want to know what his playoff stats look like when he is complete and not injuried?

I think Steph is great. But if he's being compared to greats, he has to go by great standards. Magic had health issues and people don't count the years he didn't play.

Also with that it shouldn't be. Steph Spent many years at Davidson. And then battle injury in his first few seasons but his numbers were still amazing even with those injuries. While Magic Johnson literally walked into the perfect situation with Multiple HOF's. The Arguable Goat in KAJ, top 5 SF all time in Worthy, Pat Riley and really solid players. As much as I dislike Lebron...... Lebron>Magic. Oh Yea the West was really weak.

Steph is great but he doesn't get a free pass into greatness. Nobody does. Injuries can't be an excuse. Him not being a top 10 player for five years does work against him when being compared to greats. Because that rarely happens.

Lol give me 2 other PGs when fully healthy that has Curry's ability, gravity, and impact.... Come on just try.....

Please be more logical when you're making such a farfetched statement.
When comparing greats its farfetched to assume great health will replace a well proven career. Its silly to say he deserves to be compared to all time greats without having much on his resume. We can't say with great health he's superman and the greatest but for now he's underachieved and definitely inferior to Kyrie. There's the good a player achieves and accomplishes and then there's guys who imagine that greatness should just be given to certain players.

warriorfan
07-14-2016, 11:36 PM
https://s31.postimg.org/3v900q5bf/Magic_Johnson87.jpg
https://s31.postimg.org/ogkbld9t7/Curry2016.jpg

Magic Johnson 1987: 60% TS
Stephen Curry 2016: 67% TS

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-14-2016, 11:50 PM
When Magic showed himself with one of the best finals games ever, he didn't have KAJ or Worthy - he was 20 and a champion the year before that.

GS aren't proven champions. They were champions in a year when three of the four teams they faced had critical injuries. They lost to one of the teams when they were healthy in the next finals.

Magic had a better winning percentage without KAJ. Got into the finals without him as well.

I think Steph is great. But if he's being compared to greats, he has to go by great standards. Magic had health issues and people don't count the years he didn't play.

Steph is great but he doesn't get a free pass into greatness. Nobody does. Injuries can't be an excuse. Him not being a top 10 player for five years does work against him when being compared to greats. Because that rarely happens.

When comparing greats its farfetched to assume great health will replace a well proven career. Its silly to say he deserves to be compared to all time greats without having much on his resume. We can't say with great health he's superman and the greatest but for now he's underachieved and definitely inferior to Kyrie. There's the good a player achieves and accomplishes and then there's guys who imagine that greatness should just be given to certain players.

Inferior to Kyrie in what way? What has Kyrie done before Lebron came around? So you're telling me that to start a team or just in General that you would Take Kyrie Irving who does not make the players around him better. Who does not have court Vision and without a stacked team would just be considered a flashy Chucker is better than Steph Curry?

So Clevelands title is less legitamate because they beat a warriors team where the 2x runner up for DPOY was suspended for a crucial game 5 where The Rim Protector that kept Kyrie and Lebron from penetrating got injured in that game 5 , Iggy having back issues in the later part of the series. Or Steph being far from 100% after multiple injuries in the post season. Remember the series was 3-1 before most of the Shenanigans began. Or that Cleveland got taken to 6 by a Craptor team without JV.

If so then sure Clevelands title has a massive astersik if the warriors title has an asterisk.

Steph Still has plenty of time to rise into the ATG and I belive he will finish in the top 15 - Top 10 all time when it's all said and done. We've seen what a fully healthy Steph can do and now add he has Durant to take the burden off when he is getting double teamed past half court of every possession won't hinder but actually help his legacy if the warriors can put it together.

Well Steph has been a proven winner before the addition of Durant. 70 win average the past 2 seasons . 2 Finals appearances b2b MVP with one of them being unanimous where he Smashed records and was godly efficiency wise.

But yea take Kyrie Irving over Steph Curry sure.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-14-2016, 11:52 PM
https://s31.postimg.org/3v900q5bf/Magic_Johnson87.jpg
https://s31.postimg.org/ogkbld9t7/Curry2016.jpg

Magic Johnson 1987: 60% TS
Stephen Curry 2016: 67% TS

lol at 10 Fts a game. FT Johnson.:lol

grantz
07-15-2016, 12:02 AM
Inferior to Kyrie as in when the last shot was on the line, he turned the ball over and chucked a brick and Kyrie scored the game winning shot on his face.

Whatever happened 8 months before, a year before... that final 2 mins on game 7 was really what mattered right?

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-15-2016, 12:05 AM
Inferior to Kyrie as in when the last shot was on the line, he turned the ball over and chucked a brick and Kyrie scored the game winning shot on his face.

Whatever happened 8 months before, a year before... that final 2 mins on game 7 was really what mattered right?

:roll: :roll: Alright Lets remove 100's of games of Samples where Steph is vastly superior to Kyrie in most categories for 2 min sample where one player had no lateral Quickness to make his usual moves to score.

Sure. Great Logic:applause:

Pointguard
07-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Inferior to Kyrie in what way? What has Kyrie done before Lebron came around? So you're telling me that to start a team or just in General that you would Take Kyrie Irving who does not make the players around him better. Who does not have court Vision and without a stacked team would just be considered a flashy Chucker is better than Steph Curry?
The reason I said this is because Steph is on a great team without him. Westbrook and Kyrie are integral to their teams success. If their teams go 7 games against GS their roles were bigger than Curry's. True, Curry was hurt and I think he's making game winners if healthy. But who cares what I think? When I say Rose can't do his favorite shot and can't do his favorite move people here still think he's fully healthy. Trust me I know what you're saying.

So Clevelands title is less legitamate because they beat a warriors team where the 2x runner up for DPOY was suspended for a crucial game 5 where The Rim Protector that kept Kyrie and Lebron from penetrating got injured in that game 5 , Iggy having back issues in the later part of the series. Or Steph being far from 100% after multiple injuries in the post season. Remember the series was 3-1 before most of the Shenanigans began. Or that Cleveland got taken to 6 by a Craptor team without JV.

If so then sure Clevelands title has a massive astersik if the warriors title has an asterisk.

Steph Still has plenty of time to rise into the ATG and I belive he will finish in the top 15 - Top 10 all time when it's all said and done. We've seen what a fully healthy Steph can do and now add he has Durant to take the burden off when he is getting double teamed past half court of every possession won't hinder but actually help his legacy if the warriors can put it together.

Well Steph has been a proven winner before the addition of Durant. 70 win average the past 2 seasons . 2 Finals appearances b2b MVP with one of them being unanimous where he Smashed records and was godly efficiency wise.

But yea take Kyrie Irving over Steph Curry sure.
In all fairness I agree with this portion. Curry has been great for two years now. Magic at the same age about seven great years. Kyrie one great year. One could argue Kyrie has shown more at his age than Curry and that would make more sense to me than comparing Curry with guys who never had a non top ten season.

warriorfan
07-15-2016, 12:09 PM
The reason I said this is because Steph is on a great team without him. Westbrook and Kyrie are integral to their teams success. If their teams go 7 games against GS their roles were bigger than Curry's. True, Curry was hurt and I think he's making game winners if healthy. But who cares what I think? When I say Rose can't do his favorite shot and can't do his favorite move people here still think he's fully healthy. Trust me I know what you're saying.

In all fairness I agree with this portion. Curry has been great for two years now. Magic at the same age about seven great years. Kyrie one great year. One could argue Kyrie has shown more at his age than Curry and that would make more sense to me than comparing Curry with guys who never had a non top ten season.

Curry had a slightly slower start in the league relative to the other greatests of all time

That slower career arc does not take away from his achievements earned

Curry is only 27 years old and you are trying to compare his career to a 37 year old Magic Johnson's

Use basic reasoning skills and you can see how Curry's career is trending

references:
https://s32.postimg.org/djo8ltbol/Curry_Career_ARC.jpg

Rocketswin2013
07-15-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm doubting it. Curry is obviously worse than Magic was at the same point in his career. That said, he has a super stacked team and obviously an MVP caliber player. It's up to him to not choke like a bitch again and he could looad up a pretty decent resume.

ScalsFan21
07-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Current healthy Steph Curry vs. any point guard in history not named Magic Johnson at their absolute individual PEAK? Hard to make the case he isn't playing at a top 2 all-time level of PGs. Stockton, Kidd, Nash, Isiah IMO... all in the rearview mirror in terms of peaks ALREADY, but the resume has to get there for all-time status.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-15-2016, 03:24 PM

Kyrie has been the same player since coming into the Nba. His court Vision has not improved. His Passing is still mediocre. He is still heavily reliant on getting to line to score. Kyre has not been great one year. He only showed up in bursts throughout the playoffs or even the finals. Other than that his year has not been that great.

Also saying that Steph has only been great 2 years is another false misconception. Steph's play and Stats have been great since he stepped into the league and should have even won ROY if not for having to compete with Tyreek Hype or having to play alongside a selfish backcourt mate in Monta. Kyrie had many opportunities to showcase what he can do especially in the weak east where being a 40 win team can make your a playoff team. Yet, his team were constantly lottery teams.

Not to sound like Warriorfan but Steph himself literally makes everyone on the court better. Since he improved his handling it became dangerous to let him be one on one. Kyrie has yet to make those around him better just by his sheer presence. His Individual Talent is amazing but True ATG and Top players in the League makes those around them better just by breathing. This is something Lebron does by just walking around. Bird, Jordan, Magic, many more .

None of this is an insult to Kyrie because he is one of my favorite players outside of GSW players and KP. Even when people were shitting on him for his mediocre play after his injury I still didn't agree with it.

The whole Role thing. I will agree that since Cleveland took GS to 7 because of some unseen circumstances which is just the nature of Sports that the opposing team had more of an Impact. I can't argue against that because a hobbled player in Curry with no lateral quickness became a bit easier to handle but his impact was still there to be seen. The Amount of open shots his presence and movement created were still pretty good. Those shots were just bricked.

feyki
07-15-2016, 03:40 PM
There's no possible to surpass Oscar . Let alone Magic .

ninephive
07-15-2016, 03:56 PM
First he has to surpass Tony Parker.

Pointguard
07-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Curry had a slightly slower start in the league relative to the other greatests of all time

That slower career arc does not take away from his achievements earned

Curry is only 27 years old and you are trying to compare his career to a 37 year old Magic Johnson's

Use basic reasoning skills and you can see how Curry's career is trending

references:
I was very clear about Magic at 20 years of age having one of the best finals games ever. Curry would have to be 29 before he can claim something like that. And its likely that he won't because Durant is there. Trending doesn't mean much. Rose had the best trend going for point guard and he's the same age as Curry.

warriorfan
07-15-2016, 04:07 PM
I was very clear about Magic at 20 years of age having one of the best finals games ever. Curry would have to be 29 before he can claim something like that. And its likely that he won't because Durant is there. Trending doesn't mean much. Rose had the best trend going for point guard and he's the same age as Curry.

Magic peeked early but he also had sex with men and contracted HIV and his career was forced to end early

Stephen Curry had a slower start but does not have sex with men and takes care of himself, so while his career didn't have as good as a start as Magic's, it's going to have a better back end

https://s31.postimg.org/9rleijsyz/Magic_Career_Arc.jpg

Curry has already had 3 years of play that can be compared to Magic's 3 best years

Curry is only 27 years old, at a very conservative estimate he should have at least 6 more elite seasons in him, and as you can see in the Curry graphic, he is still trending upwards

Smoke117
07-15-2016, 04:09 PM
There's no possible to surpass Oscar . Let alone Magic .

This.

inclinerator
07-15-2016, 04:34 PM
prime chris paul is better

Smoke117
07-15-2016, 04:56 PM
prime chris paul is better

Easily.

Pointguard
07-15-2016, 05:38 PM
Magic peeked early but he also had sex with men and contracted HIV and his career was forced to end early

Stephen Curry had a slower start but does not have sex with men and takes care of himself, so while his career didn't have as good as a start as Magic's, it's going to have a better back end

https://s31.postimg.org/9rleijsyz/Magic_Career_Arc.jpg

Curry has already had 3 years of play that can be compared to Magic's 3 best years

Curry is only 27 years old, at a very conservative estimate he should have at least 6 more elite seasons in him, and as you can see in the Curry graphic, he is still trending upwards
Well if you are going to know the future why argue with you? Its not like your ankles can get stronger. And your Crystal ball is wrong - he's 28 years old.

warriorfan
07-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Well if you are going to know the future why argue with you? Its not like your ankles can get stronger. And your Crystal ball is wrong - he's 28 years old.

Look at that trend

Sure looks like the ankles are getting weaker

Yep

:facepalm

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-15-2016, 06:22 PM
This.

Ginobili >Wade

!@#$%Vectors!@#
07-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Easily.

The Prime Chris paul that got Shat on by Melo?:lol :lol

Sure

Pointguard
07-15-2016, 07:29 PM

Look at that trend

Sure looks like the ankles are getting
I hope they keep good. But he's in his prime and Kyrie just outplayed him. What does that trend say?

And you didnt know his age. How did that escape you?

warriorfan
07-15-2016, 08:00 PM
I hope they keep good. But he's in his prime and Kyrie just outplayed him. What does that trend say?

And you didnt know his age. How did that escape you?

You can either go with the sample size of over 300 games from the past 4 years

Or the sample size of a couple of games after the player returned early from an MCL injury

You are just not looking at this rationally

Meticode
07-15-2016, 08:04 PM
He's 28 actually, he'll turn 29 in the middle of next season as well.

Pointguard
07-16-2016, 08:53 AM
You can either go with the sample size of over 300 games from the past 4 years

Or the sample size of a couple of games after the player returned early from an MCL injury

You are just not looking at this rationally
Glad you came to your senses. Now compare Magic's first six years to Curry's or Curry's complete Sample size.

warriorfan
07-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Glad you came to your senses. Now compare Magic's first six years to Curry's or Curry's complete Sample size.

lmao why do you keep acting like Curry's career is going to come to a halt right now?

Curry's career is not even half way over yet :oldlol:

Keep wishing on a star that Curry isn't going to play for at least another 5+ years at an elite level

Caution, you will probably end up disappointed :oldlol:

Pointguard
07-20-2016, 01:08 PM
lmao why do you keep acting like Curry's career is going to come to a halt right now?

Keep wishing on a star that Curry isn't going to play for at least another 5+ years at an elite level

I never said Curry's career is coming to a halt. You said compare Kyrie's last five years vs Curry's and my response was compare Magic's to Curry's. I don't wish injury on any player. Most great point guards do have their best years 26 thru 28 years of age. Curry is primarily a shooter and likely won't lead his team in assist like last year so I think he can push it til like 32 maybe? Nash had great durability and he did til that age.

warriorfan
07-20-2016, 02:38 PM
I never said Curry's career is coming to a halt. You said compare Kyrie's last five years vs Curry's and my response was compare Magic's to Curry's. I don't wish injury on any player. Most great point guards do have their best years 26 thru 28 years of age. Curry is primarily a shooter and likely won't lead his team in assist like last year so I think he can push it til like 32 maybe? Nash had great durability and he did til that age.

I was referring to the last 4 years of Curry's career, not Kyrie's

I was establishing the fact for the past 4 years Curry has done nothing except get better and better at a high rate (see graphic a.)

Earlier you were alluding to Curry's career not lasting very long due to ankle issues and the fact that he recently had a sub par Finals series...

I was trying to point out the fact that you completely disregarded 400 games of sample size where Steph Curry was steadily improving for a 7 game sample size after Curry was coming off an MCL injury

Your logic is flawed and twisted

This is getting tedious at this point...

References:
A)

Stanley Kobrick
06-15-2020, 09:48 PM
hey no bullying, the 2016 was a magical one for stephen curry he received a mvp trophy like westbrook and a nickelodeon kids choice award

Axe
06-17-2020, 07:05 PM
Did he somehow able to surpass him by being 0/3 in their last three championships?

AlternativeAcc.
06-17-2020, 07:55 PM
Curry peaked in OKC 2 months before this thread was made. Crazy.

Curry went on to have the biggest choke ever during the finals just 2 months after.

Crazy

LAmbruh
06-17-2020, 08:28 PM

Roundball_Rock
06-17-2020, 08:43 PM
No chance. The question is can he somehow surpass Durant? Unlikely but at least in the realm of possibility.

Stephonit
06-17-2020, 09:38 PM

Reminds me of that scene where Wade and the lesser player were laughing at Dirk before reality struck.

Gimmedarock
06-17-2020, 09:42 PM
How do we judge, Titles or ability ? I don’t think he’ll pass magic in rings but as far as what player “looks” better, I’d go Curry all day. Great handle and range from anywhere. Magic was tall and surely a better rebounder but I cringe when I see him lumbering up the court.

Whoah10115
06-18-2020, 10:12 AM
How do we judge, Titles or ability ? I don’t think he’ll pass magic in rings but as far as what player “looks” better, I’d go Curry all day. Great handle and range from anywhere. Magic was tall and surely a better rebounder but I cringe when I see him lumbering up the court.

Can't cringey if you've ever watched him.

bizil
06-18-2020, 03:10 PM
Steph's run isn't over yet. We gotta see how he ends his career. What if Giannis goes to GSW?? That's TROUBLE for the rest of the league! At least two rings would come out of that link up IF health permits. Two more rings matches Magic's ring count. With the way Steph and Klay can shoot the rock, they should be able to age gracefully. The sharpshooters like Dirk, Ray Ray, Nash, Reggie, etc. all aged great in the league. Bird with a ****ed up back past his prime still was getting 20 PPG-6.8 dimes-9.6 boards at 35 in his last season. Giannis is only 25 years old. So that keeps the Warriors title window WIDE OPEN for many years!

I'm not saying Steph will pass Magic by. Just saying we gotta see how Steph ends his career. Peak-prime wise, I would still take Magic. But GOAT wise shit entails that and several different factors. The fact Steph has 2 MVPs, 3 rings, is the greatest shooter ever, is a true top 2-3 face of the league, and revolutionized the PG spot, it gives him a resume WITH A CHANCE to pass Magic at least. If he can build on it. But if his career ended today, HELL NO he wouldn't be ahead of Magic. He still has considerable work to put in!

Axe
06-19-2020, 07:06 PM
Curry would get bailed out by his teammates in the playoffs

Manny98
06-19-2020, 07:33 PM
2015-2019 Curry is arguably the greatest point guard peak we have ever seen, yes even greater than Magic

he needs to do more tho to surpass him on the all time list.

perhaps 1 more MVP + championship minimum

light
06-19-2020, 08:04 PM
Surpassing Jordan will be difficult because of the significant edge that Jordan has on the defensive end. However, Curry might be able to surpass Magic Johnson.

Magic: 5

Curry is 32. If he's not already up there in the discussion of surpassing Magic at PG then it's probably never going to happen.

Stephonit
06-20-2020, 09:02 AM
Curry is 32. If he's not already up there in the discussion of surpassing Magic at PG then it's probably never going to happen.

Curry was in the discussion in 2016 as this thread attests. He's added three finals appearances resulting in 2 rings and various records since. Curry is greater than Magic but some people find it very hard to let go of their cherished notions.

Axe
06-20-2020, 08:08 PM
Curry was in the discussion in 2016 as this thread attests. He's added three finals appearances resulting in 2 rings and various records since. Curry is greater than Magic but some people find it very hard to let go of their cherished notions.
What was he without steve kerr again?

AlternativeAcc.
06-20-2020, 08:22 PM

32 already? Still not top 25 playoff scorer despite only being known for his one-dimensional scoring style?

Yikes

Stephonit
06-20-2020, 10:28 PM
32 already? Still not top 25 playoff scorer despite only being known for his one-dimensional scoring style?

Yikes

This was explained to you already in another thread so we should all know you're just being deliberately dim.

The lesser player who leads the list of playoff scorers only has 3 rings to show for it whereas everyone else near him by this measure has more. On the other hand the guy who is 36th on the list of most prolific playoff scorers has 11 rings. That should give pause to anyone who thinks prolific scoring means a lot or is closely related to winning.

Carbine
06-20-2020, 10:49 PM
I guess I'm in the minority but to me it's an insult to put Magic below Curry as a player. Magic is as good as it gets as an offensive player.

Stephonit
06-20-2020, 10:50 PM
I guess I'm in the minority but to me it's an insult to put Magic below Curry as a player. Magic is as good as it gets as an offensive player.

Then you haven't really watched Curry.

Carbine
06-20-2020, 10:54 PM
Nope, guess not.

Hey Yo
06-20-2020, 11:48 PM

:durantunimpressed:

Axe
06-21-2020, 12:54 AM
Then you haven't really watched Curry.
Who cares about that lesser player anyway

Stephonit
06-22-2020, 12:12 AM
What was he without steve kerr again?

Capable of upsetting third seeded teams in the playoffs with Jarrett Jack as his sidekick.

What is Steve Kerr as a coach again without Curry?

Wally450
06-22-2020, 12:25 AM
Capable of upsetting third seeded teams in the playoffs with Jarrett Jack as his sidekick.

That's gotta be his iconic playoff moment, no?

Stephonit
06-22-2020, 12:29 AM
That's gotta be his iconic playoff moment, no?

His performance in that series has certainly embarrassed enough of you guys.

https://www.gifgen.com/gif/PGn5symF.gif

Im so nba'd out
06-22-2020, 12:53 AM
They both played on stacked teams but i would take magic.Magic is a pure PG and Steph is a Combo Guard...now Steph is the pinnacle of the combo guard archetype....but a floor general is more valuble than a combo guard....even if its the greatest combo guard ever.You will see how valuable a floor general is when you see the Rockets who took the warriors to two game 7's, they will get 1st rounded this year without CP3(a floor general).

Taking nothing away from steph, he is top 10 all time...but magic is top 5

Axe
06-22-2020, 01:16 AM

Fyi do you even know that steve kerr is the first rookie head coach in the 10s to have led a team to a title?

Now tell us if curry has ever became a champion during his rookie year in 2010.