PDA

View Full Version : Sources: NBA owners expected to pass rule allowing ads on jerseys

UK2K
04-12-2016, 04:22 PM
"Sources: NBA owners expected to vote themselves more money".

NBA owners are scheduled to vote this week on putting ads on jerseys for the 2017-18 season, multiple sources told ESPN.

The measure is expected to pass, according to sources. Several teams have begun testing the market to sell the potentially lucrative ads, which would be placed in a 2.5-by-2.5-inch patch on the left shoulder.

A proposal was presented to the owners in February during a meeting at the All-Star Game in Toronto with the expectation that a decision would be reached at this week's Board of Governors meeting, held in New York on Thursday and Friday.

The initial proposal to owners was for teams to keep 50 percent of the sponsorship money from the jersey ads and for 50 percent to be added to the revenue-sharing pool for all teams.

The league has been moving to this point for at least five years, and it has been a project that commissioner Adam Silver has spearheaded. The NBA recently signed new national television and apparel deals where the ads were part of the negotiations. In 2017, Nike will take over from Adidas as the league's uniform provider when the ads are expected to debut.

Bosnian Sajo
04-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

I know you are
04-12-2016, 04:35 PM
This is expected as expected.

bdreason
04-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Get your Jerseys now before they start placing McDonalds logos on them.

embersyc
04-12-2016, 04:57 PM
This topic comes up every year about this time.

fiddy
04-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Awful :(

Knicksfever2010
04-12-2016, 05:00 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TnG_uLDi7IU/hqdefault.jpg

ralph_i_el
04-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Hopefully means less commercials? Like soccer.

fiddy
04-12-2016, 05:08 PM
There's too much stoppage unlike soccer.

warriorfan
04-12-2016, 05:12 PM
They should only put adds on the teams that qualify for lotto picks, and put A LOT on them...at least 3 good sized ones on the front and back....shit make them like a nascar jacket actually

If you want to tank and lotto it up then your team is going to be a walking billboard

It will help the parasitic tankers give something back to the league and also give an incentive not to tank

kentatm
04-12-2016, 05:23 PM

:yaohappy: :yaohappy: :yaohappy:

sd3035
04-12-2016, 05:26 PM
They should only put adds on the teams that qualify for lotto picks, and put A LOT on them...at least 3 good sized ones on the front and back....shit make them like a nascar jacket actually

If you want to tank and lotto it up then your team is going to be a walking billboard

It will help the parasitic tankers give something back to the league and also give an incentive not to tank

Actually that's a funny idea but when is it enforced? Tanking teams wear nascar unis the following season? Otherwise you'd have to keep switching

Spurs m8
04-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

You passive bitch

This is ****ed

jbryan1984
04-12-2016, 06:27 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. I am surprised it has took this long.

90sgoat
04-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Silver is all about that gold.

warriorfan
04-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Actually that's a funny idea but when is it enforced? Tanking teams wear nascar unis the following season? Otherwise you'd have to keep switching

Yes the bottom 8 teams have to wear the nascar uniform the following season

kshutts1
04-12-2016, 07:06 PM
How do the people in this thread that are against the idea feel about stadiums being named after companies? What is the difference? I know that when I watch a game, I care less about what the players look like than I do about how the players perform.

If some additional advertising revenue can be had, and the product is not damaged, then why not do it?

Euroleague
You passive bitch

This is ****ed

Only retarded people would think a small logo on a jersey is a problem all of a sudden, but everything else with the NBA is just natural.

The NBA has every arena named after some corporation, and every team is a corporation, and owned by some slime ball scum of the earth billionaire. While the NBA itself is a slime ball super greedy and super corrupt organization.

But oh God, heaven forbid if some 1 inch by 2 inch logo appears on a jersey sleeve or something......and never mind that logos of Nike or Addidas or Under Armour, or whatever are already on the freaking jerseys.

Some of the people in this forum are so stupid it is mind boggling.

Draz
I'm not surprised. If I were Nike or Under Armor, etc., the logos should be on the jerseys of the players that represent them already without additional cost. That, or I feel the owners themselves will get a portion out of it or all of it.

I'd believe that the players have to also come to an agreement because it'll clash with who they already are sponsored by.

Bad for fans, good for the players & the owners.

Vancouver-Grizz
04-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Silver is all about that gold.

I see what you did there... :yaohappy:

sammichoffate
04-12-2016, 07:51 PM
Seeing an Oracle Patch on GS's jerseys would actually be dope, American Airlines for Miami, etc. We're prob gonna see a lot of Taco Bell or some shit tho :lol

jstern
04-12-2016, 07:58 PM
It kind of sucks, because it's never been done before. Jerseys simply represented the teams in the NBA. Not the team plus the highest bidder. It's not part of the NBA culture. Then the public also sees these players making so much money, the NBA making so much money, so to many it will also come across as greedy. I would expect to see something like this in a 3rd world basketball league, not the NBA. 2x2 here, and 20 years from now when people get used to it, they'll put more ads. In reality, it just kind of cheapens the league.

Marchesk
04-12-2016, 08:13 PM
How do the people in this thread that are against the idea feel about stadiums being named after companies?

I never liked it one bit. I thought it was dumb and annoying.

What is the difference? I know that when I watch a game, I care less about what the players look like than I do about how the players perform.

I care about not having ads shoved down my throat every fuking where I go, listen or watch something. Which is why I block ads on every site, and I don't have cable. God, regular tv sucks balls once you've had Netflix or some streaming site. All the commercials during sporting events are bad enough, especially when they repeat, but having TWD or GOT broken up by ads is unbearable.

If some additional advertising revenue can be had, and the product is not damaged, then why not do it?

Because it becomes just another product to sell people, and I don't want to be sold anything but basketball when I'm watching it. And if I do want to spend money on a game, I want it to go to the those playing the game, and not some greedy, psychopathic corporation.

Bernie for president

Marchesk
04-12-2016, 08:17 PM
Bad for fans, good for the players & the owners.

Because another mansion or expensive car will make them happy.

Draz
04-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Because another mansion or expensive car will make them happy.
Some people can't get enough. That's just the way it is. I suggest anyone who actually like buying jerseys to invest in purchasing them now while they're ad-less

Bosnian Sajo
04-12-2016, 09:13 PM
One thing they should do however is drop the price in jerseys now, since they will already be making money off the ads and the fans will be wearing said ads.

bdreason
04-12-2016, 09:20 PM
One thing they should do however is drop the price in jerseys now, since they will already be making money off the ads and the fans will be wearing said ads.

Nike is paying 1 BILLION dollars to produce NBA Jerseys for 8 years. Expect Jersey prices to go up, not down.

Spurs m8
04-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Only retarded people would think a small logo on a jersey is a problem all of a sudden, but everything else with the NBA is just natural.

The NBA has every arena named after some corporation, and every team is a corporation, and owned by some slime ball scum of the earth billionaire. While the NBA itself is a slime ball super greedy and super corrupt organization.

But oh God, heaven forbid if some 1 inch by 2 inch logo appears on a jersey sleeve or something......and never mind that logos of Nike or Addidas or Under Armour, or whatever are already on the freaking jerseys.

Some of the people in this forum are so stupid it is mind boggling.

You miss the whole point....

Bow down to the Corps further you little b*tch

And it starts small, then see where it heads coz morons like you kicked it off.

Pathetic c*nt

bdreason
04-12-2016, 09:36 PM
You miss the whole point....

Bow down to the Corps further you little b*tch

And it starts small, then see where it heads coz morons like you kicked it off.

Pathetic c*nt

European sports leagues sold their asses long ago. You can't even tell what teams are playing unless you know their sponsors names. :facepalm

Spurs m8
04-12-2016, 09:39 PM
European sports leagues sold their asses long ago. You can't even tell what teams are playing unless you know their sponsors names. :facepalm

Exactly.

The classic implementation one step at a time.

Its how they take your rights too.

Cheers

jstern
04-13-2016, 03:42 AM
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/sites/sbs.com.au.news/files/styles/full/public/images/0/9/090913m_TonyParker_800x600.jpg

https://www.euruni.edu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Tony-Parker-3.jpg

That's the future.

Spurs m8
04-13-2016, 03:45 AM
How f*cked is it?

May as well just shit and jizz all over them

SpaceJam
04-13-2016, 03:46 AM
http://assets.bwbx.io/images/iuEHFwGeYKlQ/v1/-1x-1.jpg

Spurs m8
04-13-2016, 03:55 AM
lol

Haymaker
04-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Wow, do they really need that money? NFL and MLB don't, apparently.

kshutts1
04-13-2016, 09:47 AM
What are proposed and/or expected uses of the additional income?

f0und
04-13-2016, 10:19 AM

im thinkin lower ticket prices

JohnnySic
04-13-2016, 10:48 AM
n/m.

HurricaneKid
04-13-2016, 10:55 AM
im thinkin lower ticket prices

Good one.

I'm actually really surprised Nike will allow this. I know my willingness to part with $100 for a jersey will drop to nothing when its little more than a billboard. If I paid a billy for rights to sell a product and then the product went to **** I'd be ticked.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b3/23/f7/b323f7a225ad25057dc929fa6a2735be.jpg

This is probably the biggest non-NBA basketball team in the world. And most folks wouldn't even know what it is.

senelcoolidge
04-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Silver's job is to make money for the league and the owners. They make tons of money yet want more and more to the point that they will bastardize the uniforms. Forget about the ticket prices going down...these people are greedy as heck..this goes for the players as well. Silver doesn't even want refs to call travels and go by the rule book. The league suffers when it comes to pure basketball.