PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Gene Simmons?

L.Kizzle
04-13-2016, 01:40 AM
He's been talking mad shit about NWA and Rap music in the Rock Hall of Fame.
For someone who's been in the music industry for over 40 years, you'd think he would know what he's talking about.

He said, you have to play guitar and sing to be in the Rock Hall. Has he ever looked into the Rock & Roll Fame? He's one of those guys who doesn't know music history. Sad, because he's been around so long.

PS.
I Think he's salty because Kiss got into the HoF just two years ago (after being on the ballot since 1999) and NWA got in their second year of eligibility.

DeuceWallaces
04-13-2016, 01:43 AM
I see both sides. You have to stretch the term Rock n' Roll quite a bit to encompass most the inductees. On the other hand, if you take it as a spirit of rock type of thing it's more broad, but even then Michael Jackson and Madonna do not embody either the spirit or tone of rock n' roll. At least NWA has the spirit.

9erempiree
04-13-2016, 01:44 AM
PS.
I Think he's salty because Kiss got into the HoF just two years ago (after being on the ballot since 1999) and NWA got in their second year of eligibility.

This is exactly what it is.

I love NWA but I don't think they should be in that particular hall of fame due to the lyrics and content of their music. They were very influential in West Coast hip hop and the West Coast produces the best hip hop artists in the world.

It was their movie and those 'Straight Outta...' shirts that got them into the hall of fame.

To be honest, nobody cared about them till the movie came out. Hip hop heads are the only ones that care.

9erempiree
04-13-2016, 01:45 AM
I see both sides. You have to stretch the term Rock n' Roll quite a bit to encompass most the inductees. On the other hand, if you take it as a spirit of rock type of thing it's more broad, but even then Michael Jackson and Madonna do not embody either the spirit or tone of rock n' roll. At least NWA has the spirit.

Jackson definitely embodied rock and roll.

Dirty Diana is a classic rock song.

DeuceWallaces
04-13-2016, 01:46 AM
Jackson definitely embodied rock and roll.

Clearly you don't know anything about music. Although, that doesn't surprise me.

L.Kizzle
04-13-2016, 01:47 AM
But, I can see if it started out as nothing but Rock Bands than started to incorporate other genres down the line.

Hell, the first year inductee's included Sam Cooke, Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, James Brown, ect. Those guys are considered early Rock n Rollers. Kiss is Rock. Totally different too.

highwhey
04-13-2016, 01:50 AM
Clearly you don't know anything about music. Although, that doesn't surprise me.
I don't know why 9er does this to himself. :lol

9erempiree
04-13-2016, 01:51 AM

:facepalm

Go give them a listen. You must have forgotten what era MJ came from.

Beat It
Give In To Me
State of Shock
Black or White
Come Together
Morphine
Black or White
We've Had Enough
Why You Wanna Trip On Me
D.S
Privacy
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Another Day
Shout

warriorfan
04-13-2016, 01:53 AM
user comment from a rolling stone article about simmons

As usual, a rich old White guy who never had an original idea in his life and who made his fortune copying people more talented than himself, sits around and predicts the death of an art form he will never understand because it's not created for people like him in the first place. Meanwhile, Black people will continue to define American culture so people like Mr. Simmons have something to rip-off.

Pretty big talk from a man who made his fortune from lunchboxes and his tongue and who FINALLY got inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because theyre running out of old White guys.

damn...

L.Kizzle
04-13-2016, 01:53 AM
This is exactly what it is.

I love NWA but I don't think they should be in that particular hall of fame due to the lyrics and content of their music. They were very influential in West Coast hip hop and the West Coast produces the best hip hop artists in the world.

It was their movie and those 'Straight Outta...' shirts that got them into the hall of fame.

To be honest, nobody cared about them till the movie came out. Hip hop heads are the only ones that care.
What the hell does their lyrics and content have to do with being in the Rock Hall? They're not the first to talk about getting head on record or killing on record or selling drugs on record.

And lol at nobody caring about NWA.

You sound like Gene Simmons now.

NumberSix
04-13-2016, 01:59 AM
To be fair, putting NWA in the rock n roll HOF is like putting Peyton Manning in the basketball HOF and using the reasoning that it's ok because it all fits under the general field of "sports".

9erempiree
04-13-2016, 02:03 AM
What the hell does their lyrics and content have to do with being in the Rock Hall? They're not the first to talk about getting head on record or killing on record or selling drugs on record.

And lol at nobody caring about NWA.

You sound like Gene Simmons now.

Nobody cared bro.

When was the last time you heard someone play a NWA song on the digital jukebox at bars or pool halls? They hardly played them 5-10 years ago when I was frequenting the hip hop clubs.

The movie comes out and everyone and their momma, yes, their momma were fans of them....starts to play their stuff and talk about how dope they were but are doing it on pure nostalgia.

Speaking of Michael Jackson, nobody cared for him either in the last 10 years of his life and then he suddenly dies and everyone is back to listening to him. :hammerhead:

L.Kizzle
04-13-2016, 02:03 AM
To be fair, putting NWA in the rock n roll HOF is like putting Peyton Manning in the basketball HOF and using the reasoning that it's ok because it all fits under the general field of "sports".
:biggums:

Why is Sam Cooke in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? He was in the first year?

NumberSix
04-13-2016, 02:04 AM
:biggums:

Why is Sam Cooke in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? He was in the first year?
You tell me. Why is he?

L.Kizzle
04-13-2016, 02:07 AM
You tell me. Why is he?
Was he doing Rock n Roll music in 1959?

9erempiree
04-13-2016, 02:08 AM
Not to digress here...one last thing about Michael Jackson and Rock/Roll....

Eddie Van Halen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aplfy9YZcZs&nohtml5=False

Chris Cornell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmO6l9_rss&nohtml5=False

Slash?

I forget the other bands that came during the EMO era that were covering a lot of Jackson's songs on their albums.

Yes, Michael Jackson is 'Rock' too.

EDIT: Found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8Pb17pcQI&nohtml5=False

L.Kizzle
04-13-2016, 02:12 AM
Nobody cared bro.

When was the last time you heard someone play a NWA song on the digital jukebox at bars or pool halls? They hardly played them 5-10 years ago when I was frequenting the hip hop clubs.

The movie comes out and everyone and their momma, yes, their momma were fans of them....starts to play their stuff and talk about how dope they were but are doing it on pure nostalgia.

Speaking of Michael Jackson, nobody cared for him either in the last 10 years of his life and then he suddenly dies and everyone is back to listening to him. :hammerhead:
That's like saying, you don't hear Frank Sinatra or Nate King Cole music anymore so nobody cares.

DeuceWallaces
04-13-2016, 02:24 AM
:facepalm

Go give them a listen. You must have forgotten what era MJ came from.

Beat It
Give In To Me
State of Shock
Black or White
Come Together
Morphine
Black or White
We've Had Enough
Why You Wanna Trip On Me
D.S
Privacy
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Another Day
Shout

You're a ****ing moron.

highwhey
04-13-2016, 02:30 AM
Nobody cared bro.

How stupid are you? Very.

NWA was popular before the film. After the film's release, a resurgence was due as is in any case, but that's expected. You make it seem as if NWA was unknown to the masses. Dre and Cube mangaed to stay prominent after their disbanding, most people have heard their solo music and are well aware of their prior collaboration.

You're a clown.

BasedTom
04-13-2016, 02:36 AM
should have closed off the rock n roll hall of fame to just rock and roll (it would be like 80% black too lol). idk what the cut off year would be, but when people say "rock and roll" I get a very different idea of what it is than just "rock music"

you could then have a hip hop HoF, a reggae hof, etc etc

Or just expand that existing hall of fame to be a Popular Music Hall of Fame and then you could have basically everyone as it is now.

FatComputerNerd
04-13-2016, 02:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Y0cy-nvAg

dumbshits

BasedTom
04-13-2016, 02:48 AM
one song, cover, or collaboration doesn't make you a ___ artist the same way that having a cig once in your life doesn't make you a smoker. At least have one full album's worth of material where you mess with the genre

pretty sure lil wayne has appeared on the guitar at some point, but you'd be out of your mind to say he's an actual guitarist.

unless you're the beastie boys or in that same territory, your rap group probably belongs nowhere near the rock and roll hof (which itself is a joke anyway. who the **** wants to go to cleveland)

FatComputerNerd
04-13-2016, 03:03 AM
Kid Rock will be in the HOF someday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k86Uou3PZg

Is it rock or is it rap? Who gives a fvck, the two go together like peas and carrots.

FatComputerNerd
04-13-2016, 03:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4VpE-0zitU

FatComputerNerd
04-13-2016, 03:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcOwJh4F40M

BasedTom
04-13-2016, 03:24 AM

Is it rock or is it rap? Who gives a fvck, the two go together like peas and carrots.
I don't think anybody actually gives a shit about the hof except for maybe oldheads like gene simmons and people who live near it and benefit from its existence.

it's not like a sport where there's a defined criteria that every single athlete wants to go for(winning, accolades, statistical numbers and achievements). There's plenty of artists who willingly know that they'll never get airplay with what they're making nor sell many records, and that's not even on the list of their concerns. I think that is even more important now with the internet and the demise of the power that MTV/radio/etc used to have, where there was much less chance that a guy in 1970s texas could know what musical innovations were being made in Europe at the same timeperiod unless they went there themselves or heard through word of mouth.

L.Kizzle
04-13-2016, 08:06 PM

Kid Rock has about as much or a shot at the Rock Hall as Soulja Boy.

Godzuki
04-13-2016, 08:54 PM
acdc. more specifically shook me all night long :bowdown:

there is not a group more iconic to rock n roll than them nor a song with the lyrics, sound, or performance than this single goat rock song :pimp:

Godzuki
04-13-2016, 08:58 PM
and nwa was a fad. beastie boyz deserve hof way before them nikkaz do:coleman:

bdreason
04-13-2016, 09:45 PM
He's probably pissed because rap music took over rock music in the mainstream... then rap turned into whatever it is today. Now both genres are trash.

CuterThanRubio
04-13-2016, 10:13 PM
KISS is gimmicky garbage, he really shouldn't be talking.

Biggest sellout group ever, now introducing KISS hand warmers!

L.Kizzle
04-13-2016, 10:21 PM
and nwa was a fad. beastie boyz deserve hof way before them nikkaz do:coleman:
They are in.

HylianNightmare
04-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Just sounds bitter

FatComputerNerd
04-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Kid Rock has about as much or a shot at the Rock Hall as Soulja Boy.

People make fun of Kid Rock but the guy has/had serious (and diverse) musical talent.

Before he went pop his first few albums were legit.

FatComputerNerd
04-14-2016, 11:31 AM

there is not a group more iconic to rock n roll than them nor a song with the lyrics, sound, or performance than this single goat rock song :pimp:

Love AC/DC but how can you not go with Thunderstruck?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

Matter of opinion I guess =O

P.S.: Simmons should get fvcked

Overdrive
04-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Not even a top 3 track on its own album. lol

L.Kizzle
04-15-2016, 12:20 AM
People make fun of Kid Rock but the guy has/had serious (and diverse) musical talent.

Before he went pop his first few albums were legit.
He still has no shot. Sugar Ray has a better shot.

FatComputerNerd
04-16-2016, 10:57 AM
He still has no shot. Sugar Ray has a better shot.

I dunno man. They've already got him inducting people/bands who do get in.

I wouldn't be all that shocked.