PDA

View Full Version : Kobe has now led the Lakers to being the worst defensive team in the league twice now

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 04:14 AM
Anyone else find it amusing that the guy with the most first team all defensive nods has led his team to being the worst defensive team in the league in 2005 and now this season?

Uncle Drew
04-16-2016, 04:19 AM
Perimeter defenders don't have as much impact on the defensive end as interior defenders, so why Kobe had ''led'' his team to that, I don't know.

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 04:20 AM
Perimeter defenders don't have as much impact on the defensive end as interior defenders, so why Kobe had ''led'' his team to that, I don't know.

Tell that to these Kobe stans who pretend Kobe was some all time great impactful defender...I already know Kobe's defense is massively overrated.

Also...Scottie Pippen DID HAVE AS MUCH IMPACT AS INTERIOR DEFENDERS in 94 and 95...that's why he's the greatest perimeter defender of all time...he carried the Bulls to the 2nd best defensive team in the league in 95.

Uncle Drew
04-16-2016, 04:27 AM
Tell that to these Kobe stans who pretend Kobe was some all time great impactful defender...I already know Kobe's defense is massively overrated.

Also...Scottie Pippen DID HAVE AS MUCH IMPACT AS INTERIOR DEFENDERS in 94 and 95...that's why he's the greatest perimeter defender of all time...he carried the Bulls to the 2nd best defensive team in the league in 95.
Thanks for proving my point, as Pippen is the exception to the rule. And yes, Kobe is an overrated defender. The amount of mind baffling first team all-defense awards that he got is hilarious, but the Lakers being 30th in defensive rating isn't his fault.

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 04:29 AM
Thanks for proving my point, as Pippen is the exception to the rule. And yes, Kobe is an overrated defender. The amount of mind baffling first team all-defense awards that he got is hilarious, but the Lakers being 30th in defensive rating isn't his fault.

They were 30th in 2005 when he was in his prime...your team should ever be last in defense when you have the most first team all defensive nods in history...no matter what your position.

Mr Feeny
04-16-2016, 04:31 AM

Thank you for admitting Kobe has negligible impact on defense. Don't mention his defense as a positive ever again please.

Thanks. Come again, please.

Mr Feeny
04-16-2016, 04:31 AM
They were 30th in 2005 when he was in his prime...no team should ever be last in defense when you have the most first team all defensive nods in history...no matter what your position.

I like your research. Interesting stats from this guy.

Uncle Drew
04-16-2016, 04:34 AM
They were 30th in 2005 when he was in his prime...
Jokes on Kobe Bryant for 'leading' a team with Tony Bobbitt, Slava Medvedenko, and Tierre Brown to worst defensive record in the league.

Seriously, what don't you get? Perimeter =/= interior. It is nearly impossible to have good defensive statistics when your C can't defend a newspaper. Vlade Divac, Brian Grant and Chris Mihm. :roll:

Uncle Drew
04-16-2016, 04:35 AM
Don't mention his defense as a positive ever again please..
But I didn't. Just four minutes before you, I said Kobe is an overrated defender. Are you mentally ill?

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 04:37 AM
Jokes on Kobe Bryant for 'leading' a team with Tony Bobbitt, Slava Medvedenko, and Tierre Brown to worst defensive record in the league.

Seriously, what don't you get? Perimeter =/= interior. It is nearly impossible to have good defensive statistics when your C can't defend a newspaper. Vlade Divac, Brian Grant and Chris Mihm. :roll:

...Brian Grant was one of the better defensive forwards in the league during his career. On that note...the Heat were 9th in defense in 04...

Uncle Drew
04-16-2016, 04:41 AM
...Brian Grant was one of the better defensive forwards in the league during his career.
It was his second to last season of his career, playing ~15 minutes per game. Kobe sure benefited a lot from one of the ''better defensive forwards in the league'' playing behind him!

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 04:45 AM
It was his second to last season of his career, playing ~15 minutes per game. Kobe sure benefited a lot from one of the ''better defensive forwards in the league'' playing behind him!

In general the unsung hero defensively for the Lakers because nobody wants to talk about anyone but Kobe...is Lamar Odom. He was one of the better and most versatile defensive forwards in the league when the Lakers won those two championships in 09 and 10...but Kobe stans will tell you he didn't do a god damn thing.

Uncle Drew
04-16-2016, 04:50 AM
Ever since the Marc Gasol injury, Memphis has a defensive efficiency of 1.082, which isn't much better than the Lakers have over the whole season. Jokes on Tony Allen, I guess.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Ever since the Marc Gasol injury, Memphis has a defensive efficiency of 1.082, which isn't much better than the Lakers have over the whole season. Jokes on Tony Allen, I guess.

Allen is old. He's 105th in DRPM this year. He played 25 minutes a game in 64 games this year....

Uncle Drew
04-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Allen is old. He's 105th in DRPM this year. He played 25 minutes a game in 64 games this year....
Yet he's still regarded as the best perimeter defender in the game (or at least top 3, for all I care). I've even seen people on here saying he's the greatest perimeter defender of all-time.

Mr Feeny
04-16-2016, 04:58 AM
But I didn't. Just four minutes before you, I said Kobe is an overrated defender. Are you mentally ill?

Oh I confused you with stalker since you stole his avy.
There's no need to act like a prick either.
Go back to wearing white sheets.

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 04:59 AM

Yeah...Allen fell off big time this year and he's 34. Not sure why homeboy is bringing up in this conversation...but okay.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 05:00 AM
Yet he's still regarded as the best perimeter defender in the game (or at least top 3, for all I care). I've even seen people on here saying he's the greatest perimeter defender of all-time.

He can both be the best perimeter defender of all time and have sucked this year.

Uncle Drew
04-16-2016, 05:00 AM
Oh I confused you with stalker since you stole his avy.
There's no need to act like a prick either.
Go back to wearing white sheets.
I love stalker, best troll in the game. However, I despise Kobe Bryant. I loathe Kobe Bryant.

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 05:01 AM
He can both be the best perimeter defender of all time and have sucked this year.

Eh...can he though? Scottie Pippen at 36 years old with a ****ed up back and a knee that needed to be drained regularly was still one of the better defensive sf's in the league in 2003...and he actually had to do shit offensively too.

Uncle Drew
It was this season.

dhsilv
Yeah...Allen fell off big time this year and he's 34. Not sure why homeboy is bringing up in this conversation...but okay.

Yeah allen is 6'4 and I don't recall him being absurdly long. That's just not big enough to remain a great defender into your 30's. Unless you're strictly a point guard defender and you have some absurdly fast hands (see jason kidd, who is more over rated defensively than kobe, but was still a very good defender).

Mr Feeny
04-16-2016, 05:02 AM
I love stalker, best troll in the game. However, I despise Kobe Bryant. I loath Kobe Bryant.

Man get your own avy. You're your own man.
Don't stan a poster. And certainly not the joke of the forum.

For future reference, who are you a fan of? Wasn't it an eastern conference team?

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 05:02 AM
It was this season.

and that statement can be applied anytime...best all time implies career. if someone said he was the best defender THIS year, they were wrong, but I don't blame someone for having not noticed his drop off right away. Defense isn't always easy to see and especially when he's on a team most of us didn't watch much this year.

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 05:03 AM
Yeah allen is 6'4 and I don't recall him being absurdly long. That's just not big enough to remain a great defender into your 30's. Unless you're strictly a point guard defender and you have some absurdly fast hands (see jason kidd, who is more over rated defensively than kobe, but was still a very good defender).

The ****? Jason Kidd is the greatest defensive PG of all time...easily the best team/help defender ever at that position.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-16-2016, 05:06 AM
Pippen was a great perimeter defender but his defensive impact was never close to the Hakeems, Robinsons and Ewings of the world. Closer to mid level defensive bigs bot not the top tier. Even Horace Grant was a better defender and more important defender for Chicago during his time there (like Bosh over Wade defensively in Miami with his floor coverage and pickandroll D). Something ppl dont mention is Ho Grant actually defended Magic far better than Jordan or Pippin in 91 tho he didnt get as many defensive positions due to needing to check Divac