PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Los Angeles Lakers. vs 2015 Golden State Warriors

Lebron23
04-16-2016, 04:26 AM
Who do you think wins in a best of 7 series?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1231/la_g_lakers2001_576.jpg

http://cdn.slamonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/warriors.jpg

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 04:50 AM
Ugh...will that 2001 laker team ever stop being overrated? The league in 2001 was going through a transition phase with the 90s stars going out...The lakers didn't beat ONE...NOT ONE GREAT TEAM in their 2001 playoff run, but people want to call them one of the greatest teams ever...you actually have to beat other great teams to be great team yourself...the league was pathetically weak in 2001. Maybe if Zo didn't go down with the kidney ailment and the Lakers faced the heat (like everyone expected to happen after they aquired Eddie and Mase) and they beat them they might be an all time great team...but they beat a Blazer team that combusted, a kings team that wasn't there yet, an AGING Spurs team (ginobili and parker weren't in the picture yet), and the Sixers who got carried to the finals by the refs. (the bucks should have been in the finals, period)

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 04:59 AM
I don't disagree a bit with smoke, but man shaq was brutal that year. That said the warriors had the bodies to throw at him. Bogut gives shaq as good a game as anyone from 01 give or take. Kobe was actually a great defender at that point but they don't have an answer defensively for the splash brothers if they're both playing well.

i like the warriors in a tough 5-6 games series.

Lebron23
04-16-2016, 05:04 AM
I don't disagree a bit with smoke, but man shaq was brutal that year. That said the warriors had the bodies to throw at him. Bogut gives shaq as good a game as anyone from 01 give or take. Kobe was actually a great defender at that point but they don't have an answer defensively for the splash brothers if they're both playing well.

Are you saying that the Warriors were the same level as the Love and Irving less Cavaliers?

Cavaliers won 2 games last year with LeBron, and a bunch of role players.

Smoke117
04-16-2016, 05:07 AM

Shit...I was TERRIFIED OF SHAQ back then...every fan of any team who wasn't a laker fan was. The fact remains though that the league was piss weak in 2001...

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-16-2016, 05:09 AM
Both among the greatest at beating teams with injuries to key players in the playoffs:applause: :applause:

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 05:16 AM
Are you saying that the Warriors were the same level as the Love and Irving less Cavaliers?

Cavaliers won 2 games last year with LeBron, and a bunch of role players.

read what I said again. You clearly didn't get it.

masonanddixon
04-16-2016, 05:16 AM
Depends on the rules. No way in hell the Warriors win in the early 00s rules.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 05:19 AM
Shit...I was TERRIFIED OF SHAQ back then...every fan of any team who wasn't a laker fan was. The fact remains though that the league was piss weak in 2001...

The point was that shaq in that condition is winning a title MOST years in the history of the game with just about anyone.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 05:20 AM
Depends on the rules. No way in hell the Warriors win in the early 00s rules.

cause being a bigger team than most teams in the 00's is going to make things harder for them? Seriously people, green is about the only guy playing out of a traditional role. Curry is not going to be bothered by Derk Fisher....

swagga
04-16-2016, 05:31 AM
Ugh...will that 2001 laker team ever stop being overrated? The league in 2001 was going through a transition phase with the 90s stars going out...The lakers didn't beat ONE...NOT ONE GREAT TEAM in their 2001 playoff run, but people want to call them one of the greatest teams ever...you actually have to beat other great teams to be great team yourself...the league was pathetically weak in 2001. Maybe if Zo didn't go down with the kidney ailment and the Lakers faced the heat (like everyone expected to happen after they aquired Eddie and Mase) and they beat them they might be an all time great team...but they beat a Blazer team that combusted, a kings team that wasn't there yet, an AGING Spurs team (ginobili and parker weren't in the picture yet), and the Sixers who got carried to the finals by the refs. (the bucks should have been in the finals, period)

weak competition doesn't change the facts:
1. peak shaq is the most impactful player to step on the court. period. no jordan. no wilt. no kareem. peak shaq is in his own class and any rational basketball fan knows it. An impossible to stop on offense, all-nba defender at the most important (C) position, put the other team in early foul trouble monster. Stats don't do justice to what shaq did to the other team, he impacted roster minutes, team strategy on offense (foul trouble) AND defense. Career wise he is inferior to many other players, peak-wise he is #1. And btw I hated and still hate shaq the person, just an insecure clown.
2. entering his prime kobe. Basically ANOTHER top 10 player, and a perfect match for shaq's inside game.
3. the lakers had a good cast. eddie, mase, fox, grant, harper, horry, fisher etc, they had exceptional complimentary pieces, these players were just overshadowed by shaq&kobe but they were stacked as hell.

VS GS2015 and 2016 it's the same thing, a 4-0 or 4-1 victory for LA. The 1 win comes from a crazy hot curry. It's a horrible matchup for golden state, as LA had excellent defenders to hound curry&co while Shaq would murder them inside, he absolutely killed a 4-time DPOY in mutombo, one can only imagine what he would do to GSW bigs. Only a fool would say otherwise, with or without 73 wins basketball is a matchup-based game and this one is a crystal clear to any reasonable observer.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 06:30 AM
weak competition doesn't change the facts:
1. peak shaq is the most impactful player to step on the court. period. no jordan. no wilt. no kareem. peak shaq is in his own class and any rational basketball fan knows it. An impossible to stop on offense, all-nba defender at the most important (C) position, put the other team in early foul trouble monster. Stats don't do justice to what shaq did to the other team, he impacted roster minutes, team strategy on offense (foul trouble) AND defense. Career wise he is inferior to many other players, peak-wise he is #1. And btw I hated and still hate shaq the person, just an insecure clown.
2. entering his prime kobe. Basically ANOTHER top 10 player, and a perfect match for shaq's inside game.
3. the lakers had a good cast. eddie, mase, fox, grant, harper, horry, fisher etc, they had exceptional complimentary pieces, these players were just overshadowed by shaq&kobe but they were stacked as hell.

VS GS2015 and 2016 it's the same thing, a 4-0 or 4-1 victory for LA. The 1 win comes from a crazy hot curry. It's a horrible matchup for golden state, as LA had excellent defenders to hound curry&co while Shaq would murder them inside, he absolutely killed a 4-time DPOY in mutombo, one can only imagine what he would do to GSW bigs. Only a fool would say otherwise, with or without 73 wins basketball is a matchup-based game and this one is a crystal clear to any reasonable observer.

Please oh please explain to me how shaq was more dominate than mikan, wilt, and kareem in any "clear" since of the word. I mean he might be...but it's impossible to really make the claim. Even the claim of him over MJ is just conjecture at best.

That laker's team wasn't loaded with great defenders to guard curry and klay. From a minutes stand point they played fisher and bryant top 3 in minutes. Fisher is an ok defender but hardly a great one. Rick Fox played a LOT of minutes and he can't guard anyone on the warriors. Horace Grant was 35 and well past his prime at the time at 5th in minutes.

That group would struggle massively defending the warriors. I'm honestly not sure you can even play grant defensively against Dray since dray plays outside so much. Fox is going to struggle with is foot speed. From there the lakers have Horry who I like on dray and then Shaq and Tyronn Lue. Nobody else really played in the playoffs.

The lakers would have a horrible time guarding the warrior's and the warriors again have two very good defensive bigs. Much better than most teams the laker's faced had.

Da_Realist
04-16-2016, 06:39 AM
I disagree, Smoke. 2001 Lakers are one of the greatest teams ever. They would beat Golden State any time, any place, under any rules.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 06:40 AM
I disagree, Smoke. 2001 Lakers are one of the greatest teams ever. They would beat Golden State any time, any place, under any rules.

based on....

Da_Realist
04-16-2016, 06:57 AM
based on....

It's kind of obvious. Only under today's rules do Bogut and Festivus or whatever his name is are considered even slightly more than average. GS is a very good passing and jump shooting team, but the Lakers had everything: inside, outside, quality vets, multiple guys that could deliver in the clutch, best coaching staff in the league and good defense. They were too well rounded and had too may diverse weapons for the Warriors.

The key word is diverse. They could beat you multiple ways. Shaq could dominate, Kobe could dominate, Fisher could hit everything he throws up, Horry was always clutch and showed up at the right time, they could lock in defensively, etc, or all at the same time -- which is what happened in the 2001 playoffs.

Overdrive
04-16-2016, 07:02 AM
Please oh please explain to me how shaq was more dominate than mikan, wilt, and kareem in any "clear" since of the word. I mean he might be...but it's impossible to really make the claim. Even the claim of him over MJ is just conjecture at best.

That laker's team wasn't loaded with great defenders to guard curry and klay. From a minutes stand point they played fisher and bryant top 3 in minutes. Fisher is an ok defender but hardly a great one. Rick Fox played a LOT of minutes and he can't guard anyone on the warriors. Horace Grant was 35 and well past his prime at the time at 5th in minutes.

That group would struggle massively defending the warriors. I'm honestly not sure you can even play grant defensively against Dray since dray plays outside so much. Fox is going to struggle with is foot speed. From there the lakers have Horry who I like on dray and then Shaq and Tyronn Lue. Nobody else really played in the playoffs.

The lakers would have a horrible time guarding the warrior's and the warriors again have two very good defensive bigs. Much better than most teams the laker's faced had.

Better than Mutombo, Duncan, Robinson, ...?

He stated Shaq was more impactful in the sense that teams acquired throw away bigs to commit fouls and were in foul drouble so early that they had to play weaker defense in fear of getting points against them anytime they touch a player.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 07:06 AM
It's kind of obvious. Only under today's rules do Bogut and Festivus or whatever his name is are considered even slightly more than average. GS is a very good passing and jump shooting team, but the Lakers had everything: inside, outside, quality vets, multiple guys that could deliver in the clutch, best coaching staff in the league and good defense. They were too well rounded and had too may diverse weapons for the Warriors.

The key word is diverse. They could beat you multiple ways. Shaq could dominate, Kobe could dominate, Fisher could hit everything he throws up, Horry was always clutch and showed up at the right time, they could lock in defensively, etc, or all at the same time -- which is what happened in the 2001 playoffs.

You can say all the same about the warriors. Bogut is by any measure you can find among the best defensive players in the league when on the court. Festivus is very good as well. Now the warriors aren't getting away with green at the 5 against shaq, we all know that, but the warriors under old school rules are going to see their bigs do better defensively.

Kerr is clearly a great coach. he learned from phil and pop....not to mention he was able to have a pretty nice nba career without being in the top 95% athletically in this game. He's a smart dude.

The warriors had a crazy easy run last year outside of a few bad games vs the cavs. The nba is a LOT better today than 01. That 01 lakers team that said still managed to lose to Iverson by himself. Not exactly a guy who won a lot.

I think you're greatly under valuing the warriors outside of curry and grossly over valuing the laker's bench that year. Rick Fox and Brian Shaw just don't inspire me. Let alone Derk Fisher being top 3 in minutes.

masonanddixon
04-16-2016, 07:07 AM
cause being a bigger team than most teams in the 00's is going to make things harder for them? Seriously people, green is about the only guy playing out of a traditional role. Curry is not going to be bothered by Derk Fisher....

But they have no post presence and their two best players are beneficiaries of the new rules changes.

I don't think this Warriors team is that special, to be honest. The talent pool in the NBA is just at its weakest right now.

masonanddixon
04-16-2016, 07:08 AM
You can say all the same about the warriors. Bogut is by any measure you can find among the best defensive players in the league when on the court. Festivus is very good as well. Now the warriors aren't getting away with green at the 5 against shaq, we all know that, but the warriors under old school rules are going to see their bigs do better defensively.

Kerr is clearly a great coach. he learned from phil and pop....not to mention he was able to have a pretty nice nba career without being in the top 95% athletically in this game. He's a smart dude.

The warriors had a crazy easy run last year outside of a few bad games vs the cavs. The nba is a LOT better today than 01. That 01 lakers team that said still managed to lose to Iverson by himself. Not exactly a guy who won a lot.

I think you're greatly under valuing the warriors outside of curry and grossly over valuing the laker's bench that year. Rick Fox and Brian Shaw just don't inspire me. Let alone Derk Fisher being top 3 in minutes.

How about being down 2-1 to Memphis? They were fortunate with the Conley and Tony Allen injuries...

brownmamba00
04-16-2016, 07:09 AM
Edit

brownmamba00
04-16-2016, 07:09 AM
If ya think Dellavedova was making it hard on Curry these last finals it's no question 01 Kobe would lock him down

keep-itreal
04-16-2016, 07:10 AM
anybody saying GSW is ****ing delusional. This team struggles when going up against scrubs like Andre Drummond. What do you think prime Shaq is going do this ***** ass small ball soft shit?:roll: :roll:

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 07:11 AM
Better than Mutombo, Duncan, Robinson, ...?

He stated Shaq was more impactful in the sense that teams acquired throw away bigs to commit fouls and were in foul drouble so early that they had to play weaker defense in fear of getting points against them anytime they touch a player.

I don't think bogut is that far from the 3 you listed in 01 but yes those are better defenders. The thing is Bogut can get in foul trouble and it doesn't hurt the warriors offense. Other than Mutombo the other two were needed for offense.

Shaq is going to do damage to any team ever. The warriors often here get treated like that small ball lineup is all they have. The point was that they have the tools to go back to 00's and play big man ball and they have two guys who can body and defend. I think bogut is a better offensive player in that era but nothing special, but just adding that one in.

The difference here is the warriors wing play is better than the spurs or 76ers and by a HUGE HUGE amount.

KobesFinger
04-16-2016, 07:11 AM

I think the bold is doing them a disservice, they're all-time great at both. The Warriors also had a deep bench, one of the best coaching staffs and the best defence in the league. It'd be closer than you think

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 07:12 AM
But they have no post presence and their two best players are beneficiaries of the new rules changes.

I don't think this Warriors team is that special, to be honest. The talent pool in the NBA is just at its weakest right now.

the talent pool has likely never been better than right now. 99-04 or so it was awful. But right now it's amazing!

NattyPButter
04-16-2016, 07:15 AM
lets not act like GSW didn't have it easy that year with every damn point guard being hurt with each team they faced. That Laker team would beat them since they would get dominated on the boards and wouldn't be able to stop Shaq and Kobe.

masonanddixon
04-16-2016, 07:34 AM
the talent pool has likely never been better than right now. 99-04 or so it was awful. But right now it's amazing!

lol no this is the worst level of talent I have ever seen in the NBA.

99-04 you had Dirk, Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Shaq, Kidd, Nash, Garnett, Tmac, even Yao...that blows away all the guys now...theres literally no elite bigmen right now. I think thats the only time I have ever seen that.

andgar923
04-16-2016, 07:37 AM
If ya think Dellavedova was making it hard on Curry these last finals it's no question 01 Kobe would lock him down

came in to say the same.

I think Fish can do a great job on him as well. Fish is a great defender but has trouble against very fast players, Curry aint that. I think Fish can bother Curry and give him tons of fits. if not, jut put Kobe or Eddie on him. Curry would have to shoot and shoot cause he aint getting into the paint with Shaq there.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 07:38 AM
lol no this is the worst level of talent I have ever seen in the NBA.

99-04 you had Dirk, Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Shaq, Kidd, Nash, Garnett, Tmac, even Yao...that blows away all the guys now...theres literally no elite bigmen right now. I think thats the only time I have ever seen that.

Durrant, Lebron, Chris Paul, Davis, Curry, Harden, Loowery, Leonard....

But more importantly you're only talking topside talent. The issues with the league in that era was that the league sucked mid to bottom. The top tier talent is almost always pretty solid. It's after the top 10-20 guys where things can get great or shitty.

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 07:38 AM
came in to say the same.

I think Fish can do a great job on him as well. Fish is a great defender but has trouble against very fast players, Curry aint that. I think Fish can bother Curry and give him tons of fits. if not, jut put Kobe or Eddie on him. Curry would have to shoot and shoot cause he aint getting into the paint with Shaq there.

Eddie who? Jones was LONG gone in 01....

Dragonyeuw
04-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Iverson, Tmac, Garnett, Webber, Pierce, Kidd, Dirk, Vince were in or coming into their primes in that time frame. And you call that an awful period?!

dhsilv
04-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Iverson, Tmac, Garnett, Webber, Pierce, Kidd, Dirk, Vince were in or coming into their primes in that time frame. And you call that an awful period?!

Who were there 6th men in that era? how about 10th men? Who was there 3rd best player?

And yes that's not a great top end either...

Magic 32
04-16-2016, 08:00 AM

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398093

Looks like the opposite is true.

Dragonyeuw
04-16-2016, 08:23 AM
Who were there 6th men in that era? how about 10th men? Who was there 3rd best player?

Now you're moving the goalposts. What is so special about todays 6th and 10th men to 12-13 years ago?

And, you're wrong. Todays greats across the board asides from Durant, Curry,Westbrook and Lebron dont hold a candle. The center position today is shit, as is the shooting guard position. Kobe, Iverson, Tmac, Vince, Ray Allen vs James Harden, Klay, and 34 year old Wade? Please. Todays league is clearly worse at the shooting guard, power forward and center spots in terms of top level talent.

Dragonyeuw
04-16-2016, 08:25 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398093

Looks like the opposite is true.

I didnt make that comment.

deja vu
04-16-2016, 08:30 AM

Shaq eats Bogut's breakfast, lunch and dinner all day.

Only man in history who could slow down prime Shaq was Wilt.

moongaze
04-16-2016, 10:48 AM
2001 Lakers in 5 or 6. I hated that team because it was damn near unbeatable. Prime shaq more of a game changer than this year's curry.m then you add Kobe on top of that and it's a wrap. Let's see the warriors go 15-1.

BigNBAfan
04-16-2016, 10:56 AM
lakers, no question. LOL @ anyone stopping shaq or frobe

moongaze
04-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Just realized op is talking about last year's golden state and not this year's. In that case I'd take the Lakers in a sweep. The warriors were not that good last year and if not for injuries to love and Irving, they would have lost in the finals

Lebron23
04-16-2016, 11:04 AM

You don't know $hit about basketball. Get Curry's dick out of your butt.

Ass Dan
04-16-2016, 11:05 AM
You don't know $hit about basketball. Get Curry's dick of out of your butt.

N*gga its Saturday night, aint you got nothing to do?

Quickening
04-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Warriors too strong offensively... they're averaging 115 ppg this year. Lakers were averaging 100 ppg.

Lebron23
04-16-2016, 11:21 AM
N*gga its Saturday night, aint you got nothing to do?

I just finished my beer. And get off my dick. You F*cking Weirdo.

swagga
04-16-2016, 02:34 PM

first, lol at mikan, that's a clear sign that you are someone's alt troll. That's just blatant tbh.
vs wilt shaq had a significantly superior post game and really drew much more fouls. Foul drawing is a premium skill because it puts the other team's bigs in foul trouble and that messes up the defense for entire quarters AND the opponents' rotation minutes. It means less switches on pnrs, less trapping and so on. If you ever played organized ball you'd quickly understand the value of foul drawing.
vs kareem shaq was a superior inside presence, who wouldn't get manhandled by the moses malones of the world. Peak shaq was just a more dominant physical specimen, drawing more fouls, scoring more under the basket and rebounding more (kareem was obviously more skilled, smarter, a better teammate and had a much better career)

curry had trouble with fcking dellaveova. Young fisher is a dirtier dellavedova with talent. And frobe would put the lock on curry bigtime, as nobody would call all the touchfouls on him and he was an absolutely ELITE perimeter defender.

And once the GSW pace is down (see spurs, see cavs in finals, see bucks game) their semi-transition game drops and you don't have to worry about thompson or draymond to be world beaters. Draymond is at his best at the 5, at the 4 he isn't something special. Obviously you can't put him on shaq so he will match up with horry. The lakers can also use devean george (a good defender) on anything green/iggy/thompson/livingston.

If the warriors go big then the lakers go"
shaq on bogut
horry/fox on draymond
devean george/iggy
fisher on thompson
kobe on curry

If the warriors go small then shaq fcks them raw on the glass (tristan thompson got 5 ORPG a game... now imagine peak shaq) and it doesn't matter how the lakers defend as GSW will tire out FAST.

So defensively it isn't a bad matchup for the lakers. Now how would GSW defend LA? Answer: they can't. You can't double kobe AND shaq.

Seriously, the game would probably go like this:
1. the game would have a snail pace
2. there won't be any transition game as the lakers will play extra slow and will win a lot of offensive boards.
3. shaq would get put all these smallball players in QUICK foul trouble
4. kobe would have a WIDE open lane due to this foul trouble
5. GSW won't be able to defend and will tire out from all the double-teaming and fighting for rebounds with shaq
6. we'd get to see shaq and kobe shoot an obscene amount of free throws.
7. GSW would break mentally and throw in the towel with a standardish lineup (they don't have the personnel to go big)

inclinerator
04-16-2016, 02:48 PM
old shaq vs bogut

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=bogutan01&p2=onealsh01

moongaze
04-16-2016, 02:56 PM
old shaq vs bogut

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=bogutan01&p2=onealsh01

Old shaq bodied Bogus. He would have done much worse in his prime. Bogus would have been in tears. I just don't see how golden state guards shaq. Curry was a 23 PPG player last year. Shaq and Kobe would have swept golden state that struggles with a depleted cavs team

Inferno
04-16-2016, 03:29 PM
:rockon:

Cold soul
04-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Lakers in 5 maybe 6 at most.

TheImmortal
04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Lakers in 6.... Those Lakers would sweep any LeBrick team though.. Dumbass LeBron stans. Can't wait to see when your idol gets punked this year.. clown.

Us Kobe fans will be watching.. I hope Kobe has courtside seats and trolls LeBron if he makes it to the finals. You know LeBron is shook. 2/7 coming up.

Nick Young
04-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Lakers>Warriors

MDE Shaq was too good.

deja vu
04-16-2016, 10:26 PM
old shaq vs bogut

WTF I thought Bogut is a decent defender but Shaq's corpse still owned him?

Foster5k
04-16-2016, 10:29 PM
Allen Iverson's 76ers did win one against the almighty 3Peat Lakers.

So, I'll give the Warriors a chance to win the series. However, in the end, Shaq and Kobe would be too much.

Lakers in 6.

Nick Young
04-16-2016, 10:51 PM
WTF I thought Bogut is a decent defender but Shaq's corpse still owned him?
Shaq was just an unstoppable force when he wanted to be, even in his final years. He was a legit allstar on the Suns.

AirBonner
04-16-2016, 11:01 PM
Shaq was just an unstoppable force when he wanted to be, even in his final years. He was a legit allstar on the Suns.
This. Even on the Celtics he was an important piece. If he hadn't been injured that year the Celtics would of had a good shot a title. Which is crazy considering how "washed up" he was.

JBSptfn
04-16-2016, 11:03 PM

Dude, couldn't have said it any better myself.

The Fluker's run from 2000-02 came after the Bulls run and the 99 Spurs, and it came before San Antonio's 2003 re-boot and the rise to power of the 313. It was a time when the East was pretty pathetic, and when you had teams with more talent (00 Blazers and 02 Kings) show very little heart in crunch time.

I think that Bill Simmons said something about how everyone on Sacramento but Bibby looked scared to death (during the 02 WCF), and the Blazers were a group of immature babies.

AirBonner
04-16-2016, 11:06 PM
Dude, couldn't have said it any better myself.

The Fluker's run from 2000-02 came after the Bulls run and the 99 Spurs, and it came before San Antonio's 2003 re-boot and the rise to power of the 313. It was a time when the East was pretty pathetic, and when you had teams with more talent (00 Blazers and 02 Kings) show very little heart in crunch time.

I think that Bill Simmons said something about how everyone on Sacramento but Bibby looked scared to death (during the 02 WCF), and the Blazers were a group of immature babies.
Kind of like how Bird and Magic had to retire before Jordan became a "winner" :rolleyes:

JBSptfn
04-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Kind of like how Bird and Magic had to retire before Jordan became a "winner" :rolleyes:

Jordan beat Magic in the 91 Finals. Shaq and Kobe never beat a team like the 96 Bulls in the Finals. When they played real competition in 2003 (Spurs) and 04 (Pistons), they got their butts kicked.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Durrant, Lebron, Chris Paul, Davis, Curry, Harden, Loowery, Leonard....

But more importantly you're only talking topside talent. The issues with the league in that era was that the league sucked mid to bottom. The top tier talent is almost always pretty solid. It's after the top 10-20 guys where things can get great or shitty.
The fact that u have to bring up mediocre stars like Lowry and Haren and a supposed defensive big man who anchored a bottom 3 defense speaks volumes

Da_Realist
04-16-2016, 11:39 PM
Bad competition does not mean the Lakers were not legit.

bballnoob1192
04-17-2016, 12:43 AM
this era of centers are so pathetic that the warriors can run Draymond green at the 5 for most of the games they play. Shaq would literally destroy green's bitch ass if he tried to guard shaq. The biggest reason the warriors lose this matchup is that they are the ones that have to adjust their lineup to match the lakers.

No center right now is even close to prime shaq. that's why the warriors dont have to give a shit about playing a bigman at the 5. they can run small ball and force other teams to adjust to their style.

rmt
04-17-2016, 01:00 AM
Jordan beat Magic in the 91 Finals. Shaq and Kobe never beat a team like the 96 Bulls in the Finals. When they played real competition in 2003 (Spurs) and 04 (Pistons), they got their butts kicked.

Sport is all about match ups. Shaq matches up very well with 2015 Warriors. There is nobody on 2015 Warriors who could guard Shaq. 2003 Spurs had DRob, Duncan, Willis, Rose. 04 had multiple-time DPOY Ben Wallace, Rasheed, Elden Campbell (13.6 mins/game). Bogut would be in foul trouble and GSW would be forced to double team.

warriorfan
04-17-2016, 01:05 AM
Sport is all about match ups. Shaq matches up very well with 2015 Warriors. There is nobody on 2015 Warriors who could guard Shaq. 2003 Spurs had DRob, Duncan, Willis, Rose. 04 had multiple-time DPOY Ben Wallace, Rasheed, Elden Campbell (13.6 mins/game). Bogut would be in foul trouble and GSW would be forced to double team.

there is this guy named ezeli that plays for the warriors

in before insane hyperbole about shaq

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
04-17-2016, 01:08 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

FESTUS

Ezeli

defending

prime

Shaq

:roll: :roll:

whats next, steph guarding Kobe? :lol:

Nick Young
04-17-2016, 01:08 AM

Shaq put up 30/20 on 65% shooting vs triple teams of Sabonis+Rasheed Wallace+Scottie Pippen.

Ezeli is the type of scrub MDE Shaq would have gone 40/20 against.

rmt
04-17-2016, 01:29 AM

If DRob/Duncan and the 2 Wallaces had their hands full with prime Shaq, I don't think the defensive stalwart named Ezeli would make a dent on him.

rmt
04-17-2016, 01:31 AM

That "insane hyperbole" was warranted. There is a reason he's nicknamed "Most Dominant Ever." Maybe a few players could handle him single-handed: Wilt, Russell, DRob, Hakeem - you know, some of the best defensive big men ever - definitely nobody named Ezeli.

Nick Young
04-17-2016, 01:42 AM
That "insane hyperbole" was warranted. There is a reason he's nicknamed "Most Dominant Ever." Maybe a few players could handle him single-handed: Wilt, Russell, DRob, Hakeem - you know, some of the best defensive big men ever - definitely nobody named Ezeli.
Shaq lit up both Hakeem and DRob in single coverage. Shaq even lit up DRob+Duncan double teaming him. He murdered reigning defensive player of the year Dikembe Mutumbo in the finals.

warriorfan
04-17-2016, 01:51 AM
yeah you guys are insane :roll:

JBSptfn
04-17-2016, 02:34 AM

That's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that the 03 Spurs and 04 Pistons beat them.

rmt
04-17-2016, 02:38 AM
That's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that the 03 Spurs and 04 Pistons beat them.

The point is that 03 Spurs and 04 Pistons had the personnel (big men) to defend Shaq - something the 2015 Warriors (outside of Bogut) don't.

Nick Young
04-17-2016, 02:54 AM
You're a young dumb kid who obviously never saw prime Shaq in action.

Lebron23
04-17-2016, 03:13 AM
Good luck guarding the MDE.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-18676-Shaq-Disrespectful-Dunk-gif-nzTL.gif

http://exnba.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/shaq-lakers-dunk.gif

Nick Young
04-17-2016, 03:20 AM
Shaq vs David "Elite Defender" Robinson and Tim "Elite Defender" Duncan
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/y%20NBA%20etc/Shaquille%20Oneal/VS/shaqvstd.gif~original (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/nbacardDOTnet/media/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/y%20NBA%20etc/Shaquille%20Oneal/VS/shaqvstd.gif.html)

Shaq vs David "Elite Defender" Robinson 1v1
http://45.media.tumblr.com/77b1735aef3ff135af5a246146a51630/tumblr_mpmdcoiCN41qk2ix2o1_400.gif

Vs. Whitey McGoo
https://45.media.tumblr.com/0a4fecde8694d6ce237f5c2896a30305/tumblr_n3pgdqH9ZL1s3gys4o1_400.gif

Shaq vs Hakeem "Best Center Evurr Doe" Olojowaujo
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7c/50/5e/7c505e19081d4bed1de4b590862b5742.jpg

The 350 pound grown man beast vs the San Antonio Spurs
https://media.giphy.com/media/J9NE9Ept0pagw/giphy.gif

In-shape Shaq, a once in a lifetime opportunity
http://file2.instiz.net/data/file/20140912/6/c/7/6c73d39659bbd4e4e7ff98564521a960.gif

And you think Ezeli can check him?

Mr. Jabbar
04-17-2016, 03:22 AM
Who do you think wins in a best of 7 series?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1231/la_g_lakers2001_576.jpg

how hard did this loser google for a pic without kobe :lol

deja vu
04-17-2016, 03:25 AM
Why don't you just admit that Shaq would eat up the Warriors frontcourt? What's so special about Bogut, Ezeli and Green that Shaq would have trouble against them? Like they're Ben Wallace's on steroids.

You could just have said that Curry would light up Fisher and Kobe. That would be more possible than slowing down Shaq.

stalkerforlife
04-17-2016, 03:26 AM

:roll:

keep-itreal
04-17-2016, 03:30 AM
Shaq vs Hakeem "Best Center Evurr Doe" Olojowaujo
[
:roll: :roll:

Nick Young
04-17-2016, 03:34 AM
Why don't you just admit that Shaq would eat up the Warriors frontcourt? What's so special about Bogut, Ezeli and Green that Shaq would have trouble against them? Like they're Ben Wallace's on steroids.

You could just have said that Curry would light up Fisher and Kobe. That would be more possible than slowing down Shaq.
Prime Mamba is a Defensive Player of the Year level lockdown perimeter defender with elite athleticism and determination. He'd be perfect at locking down Curry 1v1. Meanwhile, Shaq feasts all game long.

Lakers in 5.

Lebron23
04-17-2016, 03:52 AM

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

To tell you the truth I never realized that Kobe wasn't in the picture.

TheMarkMadsen
04-17-2016, 03:54 AM
Kobe led the Lakers in scoring and assist through the first three rounds and had the highest off/on of all time in playoff history, he also led the NBA in 4th quarter scoring

:bowdown: :bowdown:

keep-itreal
04-17-2016, 03:56 AM
Kobe led the Lakers in scoring and assist through the first three rounds and had the highest off/on of all time in playoff history, he also led the NBA in 4th quarter scoring

alpha:bowdown:

Nick Young
04-17-2016, 04:09 AM

Unbelievable how great the young Mamba was. He truly was a Mozart-like basketball prodigy.

stalkerforlife
04-17-2016, 04:26 AM

Damn. :applause:

Da_Realist
04-17-2016, 05:56 AM
this era of centers are so pathetic that the warriors can run Draymond green at the 5 for most of the games they play. Shaq would literally destroy green's bitch ass if he tried to guard shaq. The biggest reason the warriors lose this matchup is that they are the ones that have to adjust their lineup to match the lakers.

No center right now is even close to prime shaq. that's why the warriors dont have to give a shit about playing a bigman at the 5. they can run small ball and force other teams to adjust to their style.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Optimus Prime
04-17-2016, 12:57 PM
2001 Lakers would crush these current Warriors and it wouldn't even be close. Big Fella would average 50 PPG, 20 RPG and 5 BPG. Afro Kobe would probably average a triple double with at least 40 PPG.

Kids have no idea what post play or real defense look likes since the league has been turned into a glorified 3-point contest, but prime Shaq was an absolute BEAST. He would feast on tiny Green and Bogut would basically just be a turnstile. Shaq was also a monster on the glass and solid on defense when he was properly motivated (AKA the playoffs when games count).

The regular season doesn't mean much. That Lakers team was one insane AI explosion away from SWEEPING THE PLAYOFFS. That's absurd.

:kobe:

Optimus Prime
04-17-2016, 01:09 PM

That's the first thing I noticed as well. Kid probably spent an hour Googling "lakers championship pic no kobe plz" scrolling through dozens of pages until he finally found ONE.

:kobe:

Chadwin
04-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Even if Curry is shooting well, he has to work a lot harder for his shots than Shaq.