PDA

View Full Version : The voting age should be lowered to 15

Duderonomy
04-17-2016, 09:32 AM
To those who think it sounds ridiculous remember up till 1971 the legal voting age was 21. Kids are the future get them voting by a younger age .

Real Men Wear Green
04-17-2016, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't fight this but it would mainly increase the number of ignorant voters. Of course we already have lots of ignorant voters of legal age.

fiddy
04-17-2016, 09:48 AM
Not a bad idea, U.S. elections are anyway nothing but a meaningless rigged circus.

NumberSix
04-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Only taxpayers should be able to vote.

BeastMode24
04-17-2016, 11:25 AM
agreed oldtimers have too much power

Velocirap31
04-17-2016, 11:35 AM

1000x this. If you aren't paying towards it and supporting society, you shouldn't have any say. This would substantially ruin the Democrat vote I presume.

~primetime~
04-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Should be raised to 30, AND you should have to pass some form of IQ test.

Take Your Lumps
04-17-2016, 11:48 AM
I see that pining for the good old Jim Crow days is alive and well.

Only land owners should vote! Taxpayers only! No dumb ****s allowed, you have to pass an IQ test!

And you call yourselves Americans :facepalm

KNOW1EDGE
04-17-2016, 12:28 PM
1000x this. If you aren't paying towards it and supporting society, you shouldn't have any say. This would substantially ruin the Democrat vote I presume.

Liberal democrats would be wiped from the face of the earth.

TomCat
04-17-2016, 12:36 PM
So more idiots can ask for a 15$ minimum wage

Duderonomy
04-17-2016, 01:17 PM
You sound like the people Hunter is talking about.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/eb/08/81/eb0881c2e225cb05b242ddca0cec0fbc.jpg

Actually there was a hippy film about lowering the voting age and young people taking over politics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLwV2xafpk

Trollsmasher
04-17-2016, 01:22 PM
only male citizens (both parents citizens) who have served in the military should be able to vote:applause:

Dresta
04-17-2016, 01:22 PM
This, though particularly the former. Not sure IQ measurements would be all that informative regarding a person's grasp of politics.

People should have to have lived and relied on themselves before they are given the right to have a say about the affairs of other people; likewise, people should have to have contributed to society if they wish to have a say regarding how other people should contribute to it. Anything else is an invitation to indulge blind passion and shameless short term self-interest.

I see that pining for the good old Jim Crow days is alive and well.

Only land owners should vote! Taxpayers only! No dumb ****s allowed, you have to pass an IQ test!

And you call yourselves Americans :facepalm
Jim Crow? What are you blabbering about? Not only were the United States founded on the principle that only property holders ought to vote, but it was constructed especially in a way so as to stem the tide of democratic dogmatism pressing in on all sides (e.g. in France). The Founders feared the barbarism and ignorance of the mob as much, if not more, than the tyranny of kingship, and so sought to limit both with a mixed constitution of the tradition of Polybius and Montesquieu. That mixed constitution has been wholly dismantled over the years that followed by democracy obsessed fanatics like yourself.

The idea of extending the franchise to all people, without qualification, would have been laughable to them, a sure sign of a democratic fanatic; and indeed, the idea of democracy in the abstract, has become something of a national religion. Lowering the voting age to 15 :oldlol:: I mean, come on. You're lucky if you find a 20 year old who isn't a complete f*ucking idiot, both arrogant and incredibly insecure at the same time.

Dresta
04-17-2016, 01:25 PM
You sound like the people Hunter is talking about.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/eb/08/81/eb0881c2e225cb05b242ddca0cec0fbc.jpg

Actually there was a hippy film about lowering the voting age and young people taking over politics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLwV2xafpk
And there's the fact Hunter S. Thompson is just completely wrong in that quote. Eisenhower was rather restrained regarding the military, and warned explicitly against its expansion. Lyndon Johnson, the supposed champion of civil rights and progressive social policy, was a downright asshole who did exactly the opposite, and sunk the US into incredibly stupid and expensive war.

edit: and I guess it's not surprising what an ignoramus you are regarding politics if Hunter S. Thompson is the person you're gleaning your opinions from. Real serious thinker he was.

Duderonomy
04-17-2016, 01:41 PM
And there's the fact Hunter S. Thompson is just completely wrong in that quote. Eisenhower was rather restrained regarding the military, and warned explicitly against its expansion. Lyndon Johnson, the supposed champion of civil rights and progressive social policy, was a downright asshole who did exactly the opposite, and sunk the US into incredibly stupid and expensive war.

The Kennedy administration actually started Vietnam which itself was a 6 year conflict up till that point and it continued through Ford in 1975.
The last sentence was the relative point of the quote. Not that you are willing to absorb any of it anyway.

Dresta
04-17-2016, 01:49 PM
The Kennedy administration actually started Vietnam which itself was a 6 year conflict up till that point and it continued through Ford in 1975.
The last sentence was the relative point of the quote. Not that you are willing to absorb any of it anyway.
What is relevant about that exactly? No one here was talking about only white males voting. And sorry, but the quote is both incoherent and incorrect. He rambles between points that don't even tie together: somehow he jumps from the military, to the red herring of "trickle down", to democracy, and then to Republicans only liking white rich people. It is nonsensical gibberish, and unsurprisingly, the ramblings of a drug-addled mind.

And Kennedy didn't "start" the Vietnam conflict: this dated all the way back to the end of ww2, and America's decision to back French imperialism there. But it was Johnson who massively escalated American involvement, to the point that made it very difficult to just cut and run, with all the lives that had been expended there.

DeuceWallaces
04-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Ha, I don't agree with that, but they won't vote anyway. Young people don't vote. Think a 15 year old will walk a mile or take a bus to the poll?

DCL
04-17-2016, 02:06 PM
democracy is lost when dumb asses outnumber everybody else

Duderonomy
04-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Ha, I don't agree with that, but they won't vote anyway. Young people don't vote. Think a 15 year old will walk a mile or take a bus to the poll?
I was born in 1988 and couldn't vote in the presidential election until I was 20 some are just shy of 22 when they start. Signing kids up at a younger age gets them into the voting system and schools could have polling stations, Sophomores and up could use their school ID . You wonder why democracy morale is at an all time low it's because kids are taught to be cynical and encouraged not to vote.

KNOW1EDGE
04-17-2016, 02:44 PM
What they need to do is raise it back to 21.

These fuhckboy 18 year old little boys and girls are the ones punching men in the face and getting pepper sprayed at Trump rallys.

Duderonomy
04-17-2016, 03:50 PM
What they need to do is raise it back to 21.

These fuhckboy 18 year old little boys and girls are the ones punching men in the face and getting pepper sprayed at Trump rallys.
Can you with a straight face say this guy is a leader and would be good for our country?

http://youtu.be/ZCkQbASQWF0

Kblaze8855
04-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Even though everyone is to some extent...children are even more likely to just be expensions of what their parents teach them. A 15 year old would be barely more informed than a 10 year old. Hell adults are rarely informed. Getting 9th graders to vote? Just add millions of proxy voters for the extreme parents on both sides. It would probably level out in the end.

goldenryan
04-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Can you with a straight face say this guy is a leader and would be good for our country?

Damn son don't do him dirty like that.

The username Know1egde has to be used ironically now.

bladefd
04-17-2016, 04:17 PM
No, 15 is way too young.. common sense doesn't even develop until 18-19, full not until around 22-23.. 18 is fine middle-ground considering 22-23 would be too late. 15 year old kid has just started puberty year or 2 before :roll:

greymatter
04-17-2016, 04:19 PM
The Republican establishment would be completely against it. Non-whites are breeding at a much higher rate.

UK2K
04-17-2016, 05:02 PM
This.

If you aren't even able to take care of yourself, you have zero right and no justification for telling other people, who do take care of themselves, how to take care of themselves.

If you don't contribute, you have no right to say where our taxes go.

Duderonomy
04-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Conservative logic:

Conservative : kids today need to the man the f*** up and be an adult.

Kids: Good. can we vote?

Conservatives: nope you're not ready for that responsibility.

UK2K
04-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Conservative logic:

Conservative : kids today need to the man the f*** up and be an adult.

Kids: Good. can we vote?

Conservatives: nope you're not ready for that responsibility.

You can vote when you're an adult.

And they're not.

Draz
04-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Eh.. I think we're good somewhere around 27

KNOW1EDGE
04-17-2016, 08:37 PM

What does that have to do with me wanting the voting age back up to 21?

My mentioning of Trump doesn't mean I am voting for him.