PDA

View Full Version : How do you weigh Kawhi's DPOYS to Steph's MVPs.

Leroy Jetson
04-18-2016, 11:40 AM
It seems pretty clear Curry will win back to back MVPs and Kahwi just won another DPOY. You could reasonably say Kawhi is the Curry of defense, each man is the best in the business at what they do. In light of this is Kawhi's combination of elite defense and very good offense more valuable than Curry's godlike offense but only average defense? If defense is truly half the game then the answer might be yes. In NBA 2K terms let's say Kawhi was a 95 on D and 85 on O for a 90 average. Meanwhile Steph is a 99 on O but only 75 on D for an 87 average.

I still think however, that Curry's offensive ability to single handedly take over a game still makes him more valuable overall, and I say this as a Spurs and Kawhi fan. If Kawhi were to improve his offensive game by 25% (especially his playmaking, and considering his age, work ethic and improvement so far I don't think this is unrealistic) over the next few years and Curry stayed about where he is then I think you'd have to reconsider.

T_L_P
04-18-2016, 02:00 PM
I'm a defensive guy, but I'd say it's disingenuous to say individual defense is 50% of the game.

At the end of the day, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Mullin are better players than Bruce Bowen and Tony Allen.

If we're saying Kawhi > Curry because he's a two-way player (I know you're not saying this, OP), then why not Kawhi > Magic? Glove > Dirk?

tmacattack33
04-18-2016, 02:07 PM
It seems pretty clear Curry will win back to back MVPs and Kahwi just won another DPOY. You could reasonably say Kawhi is the Curry of defense, each man is the best in the business at what they do. In light of this is Kawhi's combination of elite defense and very good offense more valuable than Curry's godlike offense but only average defense? If defense is truly half the game then the answer might be yes. In NBA 2K terms let's say Kawhi was a 95 on D and 85 on O for a 90 average. Meanwhile Steph is a 99 on O but only 75 on D for an 87 average.

I still think however, that Curry's offensive ability to single handedly take over a game still makes him more valuable overall, and I say this as a Spurs and Kawhi fan. If Kawhi were to improve his offensive game by 25% (especially his playmaking, and considering his age, work ethic and improvement so far I don't think this is unrealistic) over the next few years and Curry stayed about where he is then I think you'd have to reconsider.

Defense is not truly worth 50%, due to the fact that the offense gets to choose what they want to do with the ball. There is no quota that says every player must shoot exactly 10 shots per game.

Therefore, a team with a Curry or Lebron can give them the ball on 70% of their possessions.

Meanwhile, any defensive player makes up just 20% of his team's total defense (1/5th).

feyki
04-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Mvp = best player ( not only best offensive , best two way)

Dpoy = best defensive player

ClipperRevival
04-18-2016, 07:10 PM
It's easier to be a great defensive player versus a great offensive player. The hardest thing to do in bball is to create your own shot against a set defender and set defense. Superstars even face doubles and still get it done. Few players on this planet can consistently face that much defensive attention and still get it done. Even decent scorers would get embarrassed to death if they were told to suddenly be "the man", face doubles every night and consistently create your own shot or create for others. There are levels to even offensive stars.

rmt
04-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Defense is not truly worth 50%, due to the fact that the offense gets to choose what they want to do with the ball. There is no quota that says every player must shoot exactly 10 shots per game.

Therefore, a team with a Curry or Lebron can give them the ball on 70% of their possessions.

Meanwhile, any defensive player makes up just 20% of his team's total defense (1/5th).

Respectfully disagree with the bolded. Big men help protect the paint and the rim and represent more than just 20% of the team's total defense.

Spurs5Rings2014
04-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Leonard: ORTg 121, DRTg 96.
Curry: ORTg 125, DRTg 103.

Leonard is only 24, a few years off from his peak. He will surpass Curry in good time.

:pimp:

DaOldLion
04-18-2016, 08:10 PM

Leonard is only 24, a few years off from his peak. He will surpass Curry in good time.

:facepalm :facepalm

nobody in NBA history can do what steph does on offense

G-train
04-18-2016, 08:24 PM
I don't weigh any of the awards. The majority of people who vote are clueless.

Bankaii
04-18-2016, 08:36 PM

Your first statement is incorrect. MVP is always reflexive of offense and team record.

2016, 2015, 2011, 2007, 2006, and 2001 off the top of my head were not even close to being the best 2-way players.

Spurs5Rings2014
04-18-2016, 08:41 PM
:facepalm :facepalm

nobody in NBA history can do what steph does on offense

Who said Leonard had to do what he does on offense? He just has to close the gap a bit (which he can) while maintaining DPOY defense. He's still a young gun, give him some time before writing him off.

:coleman:

!@#$%Vectors!@#
04-18-2016, 08:43 PM

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm You're a fkn idiot. Stephs offense even before becoming a Star has always been better than anything Kahwi has done this season.

Kahwi will never have the gravity that Steph has on O

Spurs5Rings2014
04-18-2016, 08:47 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm You're a fkn idiot. Stephs offense even before becoming a Star has always been better than anything Kahwi has done this season.

Kahwi will never have the gravity that Steph has on O

Kawhi will become a better offensive player and retire higher up the all-time list when it's all said and done. Bank on it.

!@#$%Vectors!@#
04-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Kawhi will become a better offensive player and retire higher up the all-time list when it's all said and done. Bank on it.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spurs5Rings2014
04-18-2016, 08:52 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4595608/alan-partridge-air-bass-o.gif

Paul George 24
04-18-2016, 09:09 PM

STEVE NASH MUST BE BEST 2 WAY TYPE PLAYER,LOL :roll:

bobopenguin
04-18-2016, 09:51 PM
STEVE NASH MUST BE BEST 2 WAY TYPE PLAYER,LOL :roll:
and twice! :lol

Bosnian Sajo
04-18-2016, 10:03 PM
I don't weigh any of the awards. The majority of people who vote are clueless.

So who would be your DPOY and MVP then? If you say anything but Leonard and Steph, smh lol. Only other guy for DPOY that had a chance is Green, MVP is unanimous.