PDA

View Full Version : Giannis Antetokounmpo: "In Europe, the defenses are tighter."

Euroleague
04-19-2016, 06:45 PM
http://www.sport24.gr/Basket/antetokounmpo-thelw-na-paiksw-me-thn-ethnikh-den-eksartatai-apo-emena.4017399.html

Για το αν θα μπορούσε να κάνει αυτά που κάνει στην Ευρώπη...

Γιάννης: "Το μπάσκετ είναι μπάσκετ, όπου και αν παίξεις. Σίγουρα στην Ευρώπη είναι πιο κλειστές οι άμυνες, αλλά την μπάλα χρειάζεσαι".

Interviewer:

"Could you do the same things [as in NBA] in Europe?"

Giannis Antetokounmpo:

Wherever you play, basketball is basketball. But certainly in Europe, the defenses are tighter."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Officially add Giannis Antetokounmpo to the LONG list of NBA players and coaches that have said European basketball has better defense than the NBA does.

plowking
04-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Sounds like NBA defenses are better. The fact he can't shoot, and people back off him here just reaffirms the fact that NBA defenses are smarter and know how to defend him better.

Cheers for the update.

NBA still> Euroleague (mid level basketball league)

Inferno
04-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Inferno: OP is a ******

Euroleague
04-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Sounds like NBA defenses are better. The fact he can't shoot, and people back off him here just reaffirms the fact that NBA defenses are smarter and know how to defend him better.

Cheers for the update.

NBA still> Euroleague (mid level basketball league)

https://media1.giphy.com/media/tLKM6pUo1h040/200.gif

Overdrive
04-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Tight doesn't mean better. Just means the paint is more crowded. Paint camping is allowed, because of real zone and no def 3 seconds, but teams like greece get killed by jump shooting gods like Nigeria.

You Cant Ban Me
04-19-2016, 06:57 PM
that face when 3ball i mean euroleague makes a thread http://i.imgur.com/mM2LRmk.gif

Milbuck
04-19-2016, 07:15 PM
Giannis accomplished more in the pros and is widely acknowledged as a better player than Spanoulis ever was. Has been since he was just 17, making all star teams in Euroleague.

Richesly
04-19-2016, 07:17 PM
What?

He meant tighter as in the players usually play tighter on their men.

Milbuck
04-19-2016, 07:18 PM
What?

He meant tighter as in the players usually play tighter on their men.
Agreed. What I took most out of his comments are that he's better than Spanoulis ever was.

qrich
04-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Shiotklis Shitsianshitis: "In America, I can't play. Here, I brute dominate."

HoopologyPhD
04-19-2016, 07:21 PM
In Europe, the men's jeans are also tighter, this is not a good thing.

Nick Young
04-19-2016, 07:27 PM
If Giannis was in Euroleague right now he'd be averaging 43 ppg, 15 rebounds per game and 9.3 assists per game at least at very high percentages.

If Brian Scalabrine was a 70% shooter in Italian league, Giannis would shoot at least that.

Be glad the GOAT Greek went to America to play real basketball. 1 year in of Giannis in Euroleague and the rest of the Eurosofts would retire out of shame from the beatdowns Giannis delivered to them.

CavaliersFTW
04-19-2016, 07:48 PM
If Giannis was in Euroleague right now he'd be averaging 43 ppg, 15 rebounds per game and 9.3 assists per game at least at very high percentages.

If Brian Scalabrine was a 70% shooter in Italian league, Giannis would shoot at least that.

Be glad the GOAT Greek went to America to play real basketball. 1 year in of Giannis in Euroleague and the rest of the Eurosofts would retire out of shame from the beatdowns Giannis delivered to them.
Should be noted, Scalabrine was a 70% THREE POINT shooter in Italian league. That's how bad their close out defenses were.

kentatm
04-19-2016, 08:03 PM
isnt the 3 point line still shorter in FIBA than it is in the NBA?

that would account for things like "tighter D" b/c there is less space to work with.

Blue&Orange
04-19-2016, 08:15 PM
Should be noted, Scalabrine was a 70% THREE POINT shooter in Italian league. That's how bad their close out defenses were.
He played 7 games in the italian league, shot 10 3's and made 6. Yep never happened in the NBA, random scrub making 6 of 10.

He played 3 games in the euroleague went 5-13, .385.

Impressive.

bdonovan
04-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Hmmm...shot over 100 3 pointers this year and had a 25% success rate (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/antetgi01.html). NBA defense or just not worth defense on that?

Also, don't know about his defense; he committed the 4th most fouls in the NBA:
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avgFouls/seasontype/2 . Didn't bother to check advanced stats. It's possible they let more go in Euro leagues; and his style reflects that. In the NBA they call more fouls. Conjecture as I don't watch Euro BBall.

LAZERUSS
04-19-2016, 09:35 PM
In other news, the UConn's womens basketball team will schedule a series of games against the best from Euroleague's men's teams this summer.

Geno Auriemma:

"This should be a good test for us. It will prepare us for our toughest games next year. Obviously we will be heavy favorites in these exhibitions, but I don't take the Euroleague teams lightly. Some of their players could compete at the highest level in women's collegiate basketball."

However, he stopped short when asked if any of the Euroleague's Olympic men's basketball players could make his team.

"All I will say is that I am satisfied with my roster as it stands."

LAZERUSS
04-19-2016, 09:56 PM
http://www.fiba.com/basketballworldcup/2014/1409/USA-Serbia

livingby3's
04-19-2016, 10:05 PM
can we stir up a battle between 3ball and euroleague

LAZERUSS
04-20-2016, 12:36 AM
The Celtics with 72 points and the Grizzlies (admittedly a D-League roster) with 68.

deja vu
04-20-2016, 06:26 AM
Man...if 16-year-old Ricky Rubio can dominate the Euroleague, imagine him playing in the Euroleague now. :oldlol: He'd look like Curry and Paul combined.

Euroleague
04-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Tight doesn't mean better. Just means the paint is more crowded. Paint camping is allowed, because of real zone and no def 3 seconds, but teams like greece get killed by jump shooting gods like Nigeria.

I hate to break it to you, but European basketball uses different terminology than American basketball.

In European basketball, "tight defense" means what "hard" or "tough" defense means in American basketball.

The terms and phrases are all different.

Even the names of basic plays, sets, offenses, defenses, etc. are different.

Even the names of positions are different, and even the actual positions themselves are different.

For example, in many leagues in Europe, what American basketball calls "point guard" or 1, is the shooting guard or 2 position. While what American basketball calls the shooting guard or 2, is considered the point guard or 1 position.

Same thing with the 4/5 positions. What is almost universally called the 4 or power forward position in American basketball, is in many European leagues called the 5 or center position.

And so forth.

You play matches, instead of games.

You get a double, instead of a road win.

You play in a championship, instead of a league.

It goes on and on. Even the game itself is in many European leagues not even called basketball, but basket. For example, in Greece and Italy, it's "basket".

You are making the mistake that American basketball and European basketball use the same terminology. They don't.

Inferno
04-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Shiotklis Shitsianshitis: "In America, I can't play. Here, I brute dominate."

:roll:

Euroleague
04-20-2016, 05:02 PM
He played 7 games in the italian league, shot 10 3's and made 6. Yep never happened in the NBA, random scrub making 6 of 10.

He played 3 games in the euroleague went 5-13, .385.

Impressive.

Actually, he never played in Euroleague. He played in the league level that is below the Euroleague. It's called the Eurocup.

He never actually played in the real Euroleague, despite what so many trolls here have claimed.

And he did not shoot 5-13 in Eurocup (Europe's version of the D-League).

He shot 0-2.

Here is the proof:

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=003629&seasoncode=U2011

As you can see, he played in the Eurocup, not the Euroleague, and he shot 0 for 2 from three point range.

He also as you can see, averaged 4 points and 2.7 rebounds per game, in 31.3 minutes per game in the Eurocup.

Incredibly impressive numbers for the league that is Europe's version of the D-League, and isn't even the actual real Euroleague level.

Of course, the trolls of ISH have claimed here in hundreds of threads that, "he was the greatest player in Euroleague history".

Overdrive
04-20-2016, 05:02 PM
I hate to break it to you, but European basketball uses different terminology than American basketball.

In European basketball, "tight defense" means what "hard" or "tough" defense means in American basketball.

The terms and phrases are all different.

Even the names of basic plays, sets, offenses, defenses, etc. are different.

Even the names of positions are different, and even the actual positions themselves are different.

For example, in many leagues in Europe, what American basketball calls "point guard" or 1, is the shooting guard or 2 position. While what American basketball calls the shooting guard or 2, is considered the point guard or 1 position.

Same thing with the 4/5 positions. What is almost universally called the 4 or power forward position in American basketball, is in many European leagues called the 5 or center position.

And so forth.

You play matches, instead of games.

You get a double, instead of a road win.

You play in a championship, instead of a league.

It goes on and on. Even the game itself is in many European leagues not even called basketball, but basket. For example, in Greece and Italy, it's "basket".

You are making the mistake that American basketball and European basketball use the same terminology. They don't.

In contrast to you I live in Europe and you're spewing nonsense.

Euroleague
04-20-2016, 05:05 PM
Giannis accomplished more in the pros and is widely acknowledged as a better player than Spanoulis ever was. Has been since he was just 17, making all star teams in Euroleague.

Except for the fact that Giannis never played in Euroleague, and never even played in Greece's top tier league.

He only played in Greece minor leagues.

Euroleague
04-20-2016, 05:10 PM

Scalabrine shot 6 for 10 from 3 (60%) in the Italian League.

Proof:

http://web.legabasket.it/player/?id=SCA-BRI-78

Scalabrine shot 0 for 2 (0%) in the 2nd level league of Eurocup (the league that is BELOW Euroleague level).

Proof:

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=003629&seasoncode=U2011#!careerstats

Considering he shot 5/13 in Italian League and Eurocup combined (38.5%)....and considering that Euroleague is vastly superior to both of those leagues (especially Italian League), it's safe to surmise that he would have not done jack shit in Euroleague.

Especially since he spent two years trying to get a contract in Euroleague, and no teams would sign him. Imagine that....4 points and 2.7 rebounds per game in Europe's version of the D-League, and no teams from the higher level Euroleague would sign him....

Just shocking.

Euroleague
04-20-2016, 05:11 PM
In contrast to you I live in Europe and you're spewing nonsense.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/e7WnM5k49QlUI/200.gif

CavaliersFTW
04-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Mods? Can someone please move this clickbait to the international forum? It's NBA playoff basketball time.

Euroleague
04-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Man...if 16-year-old Ricky Rubio can dominate the Euroleague, imagine him playing in the Euroleague now. :oldlol: He'd look like Curry and Paul combined.

Ricky Rubio's stats at age 16 in Euroleague:

Proof:

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=LFW&seasoncode=E2006

34.8 overall FG %
16.7 3PT FG%
76.7 FT%

3.6 points per game
2.4 rebounds per game
2.8 assists per game

Clearly, "total domination"................

Oh, and Ricky Rubio was better at age 16, than he is now.

FKAri
04-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Oh and, Rubio was better at age 16, than he is now.
No but he was better for his age at 16 than he is now. One of the GOAT 16 yo PGs.

Euroleague
04-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Mods? Can someone please move this clickbait to the international forum? It's NBA playoff basketball time.

Look at this little bitch. He got exposed as usual, for lying (as he always does), and for making up fake stats (as he always does), and he immediately wants the thread moved........

Even though it's about an NBA player comparing defense in the NBA and Europe, thus meaning it IS an NBA related topic.

CavaliersFTW =

https://media4.giphy.com/media/1317dN2iZaNoI/200.gif

Euroleague
04-20-2016, 05:27 PM
No but he was better for his age at 16 than he is now. One of the GOAT 16 yo PGs.

I actually watched him play when he was 16. He was much better then, than he is now.

He actually had some redeeming qualities as a player then. He has been in a slow and steady regression as a player, ever since he was around 17.

Overdrive
04-20-2016, 05:33 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/e7WnM5k49QlUI/200.gif

mhm. Don't you live in Arkansas?

Relinquish
04-20-2016, 06:09 PM
mhm. Don't you live in Arkansas?

he does :oldlol: