PDA

View Full Version : Did Joe Johnson waste his potential?

keep-itreal
04-20-2016, 06:07 AM
He spent years rotting in the Hawks and Nets team.

thoughts?

HylianNightmare
04-20-2016, 07:06 AM
Remember that contract?

Legends66NBA7
04-20-2016, 07:46 AM
How exactly did he waste his potential with the Hawks ? He wanted to be the star on his own team, choose them, and he broke out to career highs.

He was then traded to the Nets when he was no longer in his prime.

The right role he had was with the Suns. But he wanted it his way and produced more when he wasn't their 4th option anymore.

keep-itreal
04-20-2016, 08:05 AM
How exactly did he waste his potential with the Hawks ? He wanted to be the star on his own team, choose them, and he broke out to career highs.

Yes I know, but he never got anywhere as the franchise player on the Hawks.

He could've won championships if he didn't waste so many years on that team

gasolina
04-20-2016, 08:06 AM

He was then traded to the Nets when he was no longer in his prime.

The right role he had was with the Suns. But he wanted it his way and produced more when he wasn't their 4th option anymore.
Same with Tmac. A few weeks ago he said something along what could've been if he stayed with Vince and the Raptors.

But IIRC, wasn't Tmac supposed to be a third option on those Magic teams? Can't remember how it all went down. Did Duncan back out last minute Elton Brand style? Also wasn't Grant Hill playing in the playoffs his last year w/ the Pistons?

So it's not like Tmac really signed up for that superstar role like JJ did... or did he?

It's early... to lazy to google stuff.

gasolina
04-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Yes I know, but he never got anywhere as the franchise player on the Hawks.

He could've won championships if he didn't waste so many years on that team
Remember, 10-15 years ago, potential was being the "man" on your own team.

Nowadays potential is landing a stacked team for deep playoff runs and tainted rings.

Lebron23
04-20-2016, 08:11 AM
He got paid.

Prime_Shaq
04-20-2016, 08:32 AM
He gonna get a ring this year, its all gonna work out in the end

JohnnySic
04-20-2016, 08:36 AM

Nowadays potential is landing a stacked team for deep playoff runs and tainted rings.
Correct. Those were the days before colluding. Everyone wanted to be "The Man". That's why Shaq and Kobe couldn't work it out.

ralph_i_el
04-20-2016, 08:47 AM
He was one of the highest paid players in the league, leading a good team to the playoffs every season. Not everyone gets a ring.

r15mohd
04-20-2016, 08:55 AM

nowadays huh - guess guys like Drexler & Rodman must feel bad about their "tainted" rings on those non-stacked teams of theirs :rolleyes:

I wonder how bad other guys like Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Reggie, etc. would feel today had they gotten a "tainted" ring too :facepalm

no ring = irrelvance in the NBA for the most part, just check the vindication from great players who eventually got one - Payton, for instance in 2006 with the Heat. and how Dirk is ultimately a better player than Charles Barkley because he actually won, but had Dirk not won, he wouldn't even be anywhere close to the PF Barkley was to this game.

gasolina
04-20-2016, 10:07 AM
nowadays huh - guess guys like Drexler & Rodman must feel bad about their "tainted" rings on those non-stacked teams of theirs :rolleyes:

I wonder how bad other guys like Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Reggie, etc. would feel today had they gotten a "tainted" ring too :facepalm

no ring = irrelvance in the NBA for the most part, just check the vindication from great players who eventually got one - Payton, for instance in 2006 with the Heat. and how Dirk is ultimately a better player than Charles Barkley because he actually won, but had Dirk not won, he wouldn't even be anywhere close to the PF Barkley was to this game.
Are you actually comparing the ring Payton got in 2006 vs. Dirk's?

Also.. all the guys you listed except for Ewing and Reggie got their turn as the man.

Not even sure what's the deal here

ralph_i_el
04-20-2016, 10:34 AM

:wtf:

gasolina
04-20-2016, 11:00 AM
:wtf:
In a way I kinda agree with the Dirk>Barkley because of the ring.

But hold on.. lets put in some context here.

1. Dirk took a team of outcasts and was the clear cut best player on that team. His 2nd best player, Caron Butler, was out for half the season and the playoffs.

2. His team swept the defending champs. Think about that.

3. His team upset a much more talented (on paper) OKC squad with Durant, Westbrook and Harden. Virtually the same team that went to the Finals the very next year.

4. While at it, he dismantled OKC with a virtuoso performance where you knew OKC was going to crumble in the end. Like a master demolition crew, he did his thing and everyone knew OKC would implode at the last minute. And there was nothing anyone could do about it.

5. His team beat the big three. Maybe the weakest iteration of the big three, but still it had prime Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. Wade was especially in his best form that time. The same big three that steamrolled the regular season and beat Boston and Chicago.

Sure Dirk got his ring. But he did just not win a ring, my mother****ing earned it like a boss.

tpols
04-20-2016, 11:02 AM
the Nets were a disaster for him. I blame most of that on management though, Dwill was an awful desperate attempt to reconcile whiffing on free agency in 2010, brook lopez sucks, and the celtics trades set the franchise back a decade or more

Klay 3D
04-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Averaged 22/6/4 in his best 5 straight years shooting 45%

Not really athletic...below the rim player using deceptiveness
Really good shooter but distributor at heart
Effort wasn't always the greatest (should've gotten more rebounds)

I think he did good for himself. Just below the Paul Pierce/Richmond tier who are considered greats. JJ is a perennial all-star. He just was playing out of role at his peak. Got him paid but could've been an all-time great third piece to a winning puzzle.

JohnnySic
04-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Many said he was the 3rd best 2 at his peak behind Kobe and T-Mac.

Yes, Wade was also around. However, Wade was widely considered a point guard early on, but people forget that.

Vince Carter was also around but people overlook his existence for some reason.

At any rate, JJ was pretty good.

stalkerforlife
04-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Question is...do the Suns win a title if he stayed?

From what I recall, he didn't care about winning as much as he did money. He was jealous of Nash and wanted out from underneath his wings.

PJR
04-20-2016, 11:31 AM

Yes, Wade was also around. However, Wade was widely considered a point guard early on, but people forget that.

You make stupid posts constantly. Jesus.

ralph_i_el
04-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Kinda off-topic, but I always really liked JJ, especially in 2k. Not the most athletic, but good size and strength. Great 1-on-1 skills from the perimeter and the post, but also a strong and willing passer. Loved seeing him abuse smaller guards in the post, which kept teams honest. He was a mismatch against a lot of slower 3's also. If he and Al Horford lined up primes a bit better, the Hawks could have been truly nasty.

Nets fan 93
04-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Joe was past his prime with the nets. He was the man with the Hawks. Just couldn't get it done though.

gasolina
04-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Not really athletic...below the rim player using deceptiveness
Really good shooter but distributor at heart
Effort wasn't always the greatest (should've gotten more rebounds)
Always thought JJ's could've done more with his size. He's listed 6'8 240 right? But for some reason on the odd time he takes it to the hole, he likes to do floaters and pull-ups rather than attacking the rim.

As you mentioned, not that athletic, but IMO would've made the leap if he LOOKED for contact.

Fire Colangelo
04-20-2016, 11:45 AM
Kinda off-topic, but I always really liked JJ, especially in 2k. Not the most athletic, but good size and strength. Great 1-on-1 skills from the perimeter and the post, but also a strong and willing passer. Loved seeing him abuse smaller guards in the post, which kept teams honest. He was a mismatch against a lot of slower 3's also. If he and Al Horford lined up primes a bit better, the Hawks could have been truly nasty.

Prime JJ on the current Hawks would be pretty nasty.

bizil
04-20-2016, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't say JJ wasted his potential. BUT we gotta realize he was in the Golden Era of SG's. With Kobe, T Mac, Wade, AI, Ray Ray,Vince, and Manu. And Pierce played a lot of SG early in his career as well. So other than Manu, I would take all of those guys over JJ. Those guys just had another gear it seemed in terms of being a franchise kind of player. So I guess he was overlooked, but I don't think he wasted his potential.

Joe from a fundamental level and versatility standpoint was as good as ANY OF THESE GUYS! But u gotta have the DOMINANCE to match that ability. It seemed Joe played TOO MUCH in the flow to be on the level on these guys. Down the stretch, Joe could be very clutch and dominant. But over the course of a game, it just seemed he played too much in the flow. With that said in today's game, he would be a top two SG in the world.

Kiddlovesnets
04-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Nah he did reach his potential, which wasnt very high if you ask me. There was a reason why the Suns let him go in 2005.

Smoke117
04-20-2016, 04:43 PM
He spent years rotting in the Hawks and Nets team.

thoughts?

...he was never that great to begin with, so no.

Bigsmoke
04-20-2016, 05:11 PM
he picked money over winning.

He single handedly ruined the Hawks chances of ever getting better after signing that crazy ass contract.

swagga
04-20-2016, 05:15 PM

so besides dirk, hakeem and duncan there is no other real ring in the last 30 years? are you kidding me son?

tontoz
04-20-2016, 06:24 PM
He wanted to get paid and wanted to be the number 1 option. He got what he wanted. Dumb thread.

He really wasn't that good. He doesn't get to the rim and finish like typical elite wings do. He was a slow footed jump shooter. He did have a nice running jumper in the lane though that i think more players should use instead of a floater.

GrapeApe
04-20-2016, 06:46 PM

Vince Carter was also around but people overlook his existence for some reason.

At any rate, JJ was pretty good.

Wade was only a PG as a rookie, and that was mainly out of necessity. He's been a SG since his second year in the league.

I also don't think Vince was overlooked at all. He was a perennial all-star and a very popular player. He and JJ were in that 2nd tier of SG's behind Kobe and Wade.

dude77
04-20-2016, 10:53 PM
he's made how many millions ? he's done the exact opposite of wasting his potential

Reggie43
04-21-2016, 07:57 AM
As others have said he maxed out his earning and statistical potential by being a good player on a bad team. Winning rings as 3rd fiddle on pedestrian numbers wont get you that type of money or recognition.