PDA

View Full Version : Thibs - 5-year deal with Timberwolves as Coach/Pres

mistergreens
04-20-2016, 01:24 PM
$10MM a year to be coach and president. Dang - why give him full control and pay him THAT much?

Per Woj

Haymaker
04-20-2016, 01:30 PM
$10MM a year to be coach and president. Dang - why give him full control and pay him THAT much?

Per Woj

Happens when you don't want to deal with dipshits like Paxson and Forman.

SpaceJam
04-20-2016, 01:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1js2m2_d0M

I miss you Thibs :(

StephHamann
04-20-2016, 01:32 PM
He will run them to the ground

FreezingTsmoove
04-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Feel bad for Lavine and Wiggins

Hey Yo
04-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 5 minutes ago
With Tom Thibodeau nearing final agreement on a Minnesota deal, Jeff Van Gundy remains Houston's top co-candidate alongside Scotty Brooks.

nathanjizzle
04-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Happens when you don't want to deal with dipshits like Paxson and Forman.

look at those dipshits dumb and dumber cant even make the playoffs with an elite roster.

AirBonner
04-20-2016, 01:48 PM
wiggins will be physically retired by 30 :oldlol:

DukeDelonte13
04-20-2016, 01:48 PM
hope he doesn't decimate the health of the team.

Terahite
04-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Rudy Tomjanovich should take this job

Haymaker
04-20-2016, 01:57 PM
hope he doesn't decimate the health of the team.

This is an unfounded myth.

gasolina
04-20-2016, 02:00 PM
Isn't it though?

Players were vocally complaining about minutes. I can imagine how bad it is during practices.

Excuse if I didn't get the sarcasm

Kiddlovesnets
04-20-2016, 02:00 PM
Should've hired Scott Brooks, who is not a champion caliber coach but ridiculously good at developing young players and take a young squad to WCF level. Thibs is more like a Pat Riley type coach, good for a short run of NBA titles, but constantly wears out his players and eventually they become injury-riddled. The Wolves are not in win-now mode, they still have players to develop and will need at least 3 years to become legit contenders. Hiring Thibs is a good decision in future, but not now.

DukeDelonte13
04-20-2016, 02:06 PM

it actually isn't.

Don't you remember that scouting report from ATL about Deng? Talked about his high mileage despite his age. I think the quote "ran into the ground" was actually in there.

Noah playing heavy minutes w/ the foot injury.. he's 31 going on 50 now.

One of the major reasons he was fired because of the discord between his coaching tactics and the F/O and medical staff's opinions.

I think he's a good coach and hopefully he's learned a lesson but let's not act like the dude hasn't rightfully earned his reputation.

FireMcFailPlease
04-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Feel bad for Lavine and Wiggins
I agree. Playing on a winning team is going to suck

FireMcFailPlease
04-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Should've hired Scott Brooks, who is not a champion caliber coach but ridiculously good at developing young players and take a young squad to WCF level. Thibs is more like a Pat Riley type coach, good for a short run of NBA titles, but constantly wears out his players and eventually they become injury-riddled. The Wolves are not in win-now mode, they still have players to develop and will need at least 3 years to become legit contenders. Hiring Thibs is a good decision in future, but not now.
Yea, lets hire scott brooks who couldnt do shit with 2 top 5 players besides watch them play streetball in the final minutes.

Genaro
04-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Brooks is terrible. KD and WB would develop anywhere. If you going to use that card one can also say Thibs made Rose a MVP (witch I don't agree)

Captvic
04-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Minnesota 2017 Western Conference Champs :rockon:

bdreason
04-20-2016, 02:14 PM
:oldlol: @ all the people acting like this isn't a good hire.

Wolves are gonna be scary. Incoming playoffs.

Kiddlovesnets
04-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Brooks is terrible. KD and WB would develop anywhere. If you going to use that card one can also say Thibs made Rose a MVP (witch I don't agree)

Well its not only KD and WB, Brooks also developed Jeff Green, James Harden, Surge Ibaka and Steven Adams. Sure KD and WB would have been good players elsewhere, but the same cant be said for those other players I mentioned.

Brooks aint a coach to win you championships, but he deserves credits for developing young and rebuilding teams. Give him 3 years contract and have him bring your young stars to top level, then dismiss him and hire a winning coach, and you have the formula of winning NBA champions.

I know you are
04-20-2016, 02:18 PM
Cool.

Titanball4
04-20-2016, 02:21 PM
This team is going to be scary in a couple years. They were gonna be scary anyways without Thibs especially with KAT being so good already. But now with Thibs as a coach D: Barring some kind of catastrophe of course.

FireMcFailPlease
04-20-2016, 02:26 PM
This team is going to be scary in a couple years. They were gonna be scary anyways without Thibs especially with KAT being so good already. But now with Thibs as a coach D: Barring some kind of catastrophe of course.
agreed.

gonna be fun watching KAT develop into a superstar in his early 20s. Winning last years lottery was the absolute perfect timing.

Titanball4
04-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Must feel especially good being built not bought lol I like to consider myself a Twolves can. I like the franchise but don't follow them religiously. Watching that Twolves team play against that Lakers team back in 2003 is what got me into watching the NBA. And also made me hate Kobe and the Lakers for the better part of the decade. They're already my go to team in 2k :roll:

FireDavidKahn
04-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Sounds like Layden from the Spurs will be our POBO...

CuterThanRubio
04-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Adelman 2.0

That deal is WAY too long!

FireMcFailPlease
04-20-2016, 04:06 PM
Lol wow ^^. First I've heard a top 5 coach be compared to Adelman

Haymaker
04-20-2016, 04:08 PM

Brooks ≠ Developer

He tends to bury young talent deep in his rotations.

coin24
04-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Great signing. Thibs is an awesome coach:applause:
Wolves might be my new team after buss gives the max to derprozan:lol

They've already got a solid team now, just need a few vets

Kingwillball
04-20-2016, 04:48 PM
KAT will be all league D within 2 years under Thibs and will be MVP candidate within 3 seasons.

BigTicket
04-20-2016, 04:53 PM
I think he'll take the Wolves to the playoffs next year. The West is not that strong anymore, and KAT is going to be a 20/10 bigman.

First round exist of course, but still a lot better than where they are now.

Meticode
04-20-2016, 04:53 PM
All the luck in the world to the Timberwolves. Hopefully Thibs doens't run his players into the ground like he did in Chicago. Great defensive coach, still not sure about overall headcoach personally.

BIG FURB
04-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Wolves have 2 future allstars on the roster, a lottery pick, enough cap space to get a quality free agent, and have now hired a proven winner to put it all together. Last time I felt this good about a young team was when the Warriors drafted Barnes, Green and Ezeli.

swagga
04-20-2016, 05:09 PM
great signing.

I know that I personally trolled a lot on thibs' minute management but any knowledgeable fan should know that his rotations were limited CHI's management .. just look at the rosters. Thibs does need a good offensive assistant.

Duderonomy
04-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Not thrilled about this, too long/ too expensive. He came to them, then he sets the terms :rolleyes: hopefully he eases up on the gas doesn't run these guys to the ground. But I think he has a huge ego that he wouldn't adjust from his last mistakes.
He will have to decide if Rubio is worth the money. I don't think they are a playoff team next season but they will get close.

FireDavidKahn
04-20-2016, 07:23 PM
Not thrilled about this, too long/ too expensive. He came to them, then he sets the terms :rolleyes: hopefully he eases up on the gas doesn't run these guys to the ground. But I think he has a huge ego that he wouldn't adjust from his last mistakes.
He will have to decide if Rubio is worth the money. I don't think they are a playoff team next season but they will get close.
Actually, it was Minnesota who was pushing the Coach/POBO idea. Thibs didn't come in demanding it.

AngelEyes
04-20-2016, 07:25 PM
Compare the minutes Thibs plays his best players to the minutes Phil Jackson plays his stars. Jackson played his stars a lot of minutes and nobody freaked out about it and said he was running them into the ground. The idea that Thibs is running his players into the ground is mostly a myth. The main reason he was fired from the Bulls was because the relationship between him and Gar Foreman and John Paxson was so bad. They weren't able to work well with each other. If there is one glaring flaw with Thibs it is not the amount of minutes he plays his guys but his poor interpersonal skills.

FireDavidKahn
04-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Compare the minutes Thibs plays his best players to the minutes Phil Jackson plays his stars. Jackson played his stars a lot of minutes and nobody freaked out about it and said he was running them into the ground. The idea that Thibs is running his players into the ground is mostly a myth. The main reason he was fired from the Bulls was because the relationship between him and Gar Foreman and John Paxson was so bad. They weren't able to work well with each other. If there is one glaring flaw with Thibs it is not the amount of minutes he plays his guys but his poor interpersonal skills.
No offense, but not a lot of people get along with Foreman or Paxson. That relationship fault was way more on them than it was on Thibs

AngelEyes
04-20-2016, 07:45 PM
No offense, but not a lot of people get along with Foreman or Paxson. That relationship fault was way more on them than it was on Thibs

Why would I take offense to that? I don't like Foreman and Paxson either. I am sick of that regime and I want a change. I agree that more of the fault lays on Foreman and Paxson as opposed to Thibs. Thibs could have done more to cultivate a better working relationship but I still don't put as much blame on him.

Milbuck
04-20-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm almost positive that 95% of that is the shady ass Bulls FO, especially Gar. The vast majority of people who work with Thibs like him. Several reports out that Forman is a huge dick and almost the entire organization hates him, except the high up guys who he sucks up to. Apparently he despised Thibs from day 1 because he wasn't his guy. It's not a coincidence to me that Boston treated Thibs extremely kindly years after he left, and that Thibs had dinner and caught up with multiple former Bulls (Butler being the main one) after he was fired...while the Bulls FO never treated Thibs well and put up a smear campaign after he left. Thibs has his flaws but in general he seems like a good dude, just a really driven dude.

Im Still Ballin
04-20-2016, 08:01 PM
This is a fantastic move

Im Still Ballin
04-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Personally I don't atone to those Thibs criticisms

CarlosBoozer
04-20-2016, 08:04 PM
Go thibs go!

T_L_P
04-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Great move. Wolves fans are getting worried for no reason - the man is a great coach.

Smoke117
04-20-2016, 08:22 PM
Now Wiggins has no excuse for his mediocre defense. Thibs don't play.

FireMcFailPlease
04-20-2016, 09:13 PM
Great move. Wolves fans are getting worried for no reason - the man is a great coach.
worried for what? Hes probably already the best coach this franchise has ever had.. sorry Flip

stalkerforlife
04-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Wow...Thibs is going to turn this team into something special.

He needs to bring in an offensive mastermind, but the defense will be on point.

Great job, Wolves.

CuterThanRubio
04-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Didn't realize he was an assistant for the Wolves during their first couple of seasons, that's pretty cool, but I'm still not sold until I see results!

5 year deal= Glen Taylor's willingness to accept complacency

At what point do we hold the coach accountable?

You can't use the overall inexperience of the players as an excuse for more than a season or two.

Expecting the worst but hoping for the best!

SwishSquared
04-21-2016, 12:57 AM
They had to give him the top bball executive power in order to entice him, and I really like bringing Thibs in. Wolves really need a smart coach to develop Lavine and Wiggins' IQs, particularly on D. I'm unsure how good he is, but bringing somebody from RC Buford's staff seems like a good approach for finding somebody to handle day-to-day GM operations. I think Wolves should be well positioned to make the playoffs in the next 2 years. I like the direction of this team a lot more than I did NoLa over the past couple seasons.

FireDavidKahn
04-21-2016, 01:13 AM
They had to give him the top bball executive power in order to entice him, and I really like bringing Thibs in. Wolves really need a smart coach to develop Lavine and Wiggins' IQs, particularly on D. I'm unsure how good he is, but bringing somebody from RC Buford's staff seems like a good approach for finding somebody to handle day-to-day GM operations. I think Wolves should be well positioned to make the playoffs in the next 2 years. I like the direction of this team a lot more than I did NoLa over the past couple seasons.
It's isn't fair to say we HAD to give him top bball power in order to entice him. Thibs WANTED this job according to every report before he was hired. Then it came out that it was Minnesota who WANTED to have a coach/POBO situation anyway, not just for Thibs.

SwishSquared
04-21-2016, 01:24 AM
It's isn't fair to say we HAD to give him top bball power in order to entice him. Thibs WANTED this job according to every report before he was hired. Then it came out that it was Minnesota who WANTED to have a coach/POBO situation anyway, not just for Thibs.He wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't get control, ultimately, imo. His first choice was apparently the Lakers. He doesn't want to get pushed out by a GM or CEO or w/e like what happened in Chicago. He however was extremely enticed to come.

And I think Minny was very willing to offer the HC/POBO combo to reel him in. KAT could make an All NBA team next year- can't mess around with that kind of player. Get him the best coach on the market and reap the benefits.

And I'm not sure why you feel like you gotta protect the image of ownership or the team at large here. You just landed the best available coach who should properly develop the young guys on both ends. Just enjoy the ride, man.

KelticForce1349
04-21-2016, 03:11 AM
I'm almost positive that 95% of that is the shady ass Bulls FO, especially Gar. The vast majority of people who work with Thibs like him. Several reports out that Forman is a huge dick and almost the entire organization hates him, except the high up guys who he sucks up to. Apparently he despised Thibs from day 1 because he wasn't his guy. It's not a coincidence to me that Boston treated Thibs extremely kindly years after he left, and that Thibs had dinner and caught up with multiple former Bulls (Butler being the main one) after he was fired...while the Bulls FO never treated Thibs well and put up a smear campaign after he left. Thibs has his flaws but in general he seems like a good dude, just a really driven dude.

I totally concur. Thibs has been getting his reputation smeared by the slimeballs in Chicago, mostly Gar/Pax. The dude is relentless, extremely driven to succeed, incredibly hard working and surprise...has a clear vision of how he intends to accomplish his goals. Gar and Pax were never fully on board with with how Thibs sees the game of Basketball. Not even close really.

Jimmy Butler is the Bulls best player and I think it's obvious he was not happy with the coaching change this year. He specifically said the team needed to be coached much harder than what Hoiberg was doing. That sounds like he had Thibs in mind to me.

As far as all these idiots claiming Thibs is responsible for injuries to his players? What a joke. That lockout season with back to back to back games was brutal. Too much of a grind even for elite athletes of NBA caliber. How good is the training staff in Chicago anyway? Are they as legendary as that Phoenix staff?

It was known that Derrick Rose had arthritis in his knees during his college season and that falls into line with the majority of ACL tears happening between 18 and 25 years of age and happening without contact. He clearly came into the league with pre-existing issues and his style of play only accelerated the injuries.

I am not going to go through the whole roster for the sake of arguing with every moron that believes this idea that Thibs ruins players. I will point out that Noah had foot injuries before Thibs ever came to Chicago. Does anyone remember when Paxon choked Del Negro because Vinny had gone a few minutes past Paxons imposed minutes restriction in a playoff game verse the Celtics?

I mean come on people...

FireDavidKahn
04-21-2016, 03:47 AM
I totally concur. Thibs has been getting his reputation smeared by the slimeballs in Chicago, mostly Gar/Pax. The dude is relentless, extremely driven to succeed, incredibly hard working and surprise...has a clear vision of how he intends to accomplish his goals. Gar and Pax were never fully on board with with how Thibs sees the game of Basketball. Not even close really.

Jimmy Butler is the Bulls best player and I think it's obvious he was not happy with the coaching change this year. He specifically said the team needed to be coached much harder than what Hoiberg was doing. That sounds like he had Thibs in mind to me.

As far as all these idiots claiming Thibs is responsible for injuries to his players? What a joke. That lockout season with back to back to back games was brutal. Too much of a grind even for elite athletes of NBA caliber. How good is the training staff in Chicago anyway? Are they as legendary as that Phoenix staff?

It was known that Derrick Rose had arthritis in his knees during his college season and that falls into line with the majority of ACL tears happening between 18 and 25 years of age and happening without contact. He clearly came into the league with pre-existing issues and his style of play only accelerated the injuries.

I am not going to go through the whole roster for the sake of arguing with every moron that believes this idea that Thibs ruins players. I will point out that Noah had foot injuries before Thibs ever came to Chicago. Does anyone remember when Paxon choked Del Negro because Vinny had gone a few minutes past Paxons imposed minutes restriction in a playoff game verse the Celtics?

I mean come on people...
Thibs and Butler are BFF's. Right when Thibs was hired Butler sent out a tweet, or maybe it was a DM to our local beat reporters, praising Thibs.:oldlol: :rockon:

KelticForce1349
04-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Thibs and Butler are BFF's. Right when Thibs was hired Butler sent out a tweet, or maybe it was a DM to our local beat reporters, praising Thibs.:oldlol: :rockon:

They seem well-suited for each other. One demands the best of himself and the players around him, the other demands the best from himself and the people around him.

I am really excited for the future of your Timberwolves man. Your team will make the playoffs next season and be a force to reckon with for a long time.

PeroAntic
04-21-2016, 12:48 PM
Could Durant sign for the Wolves now that Thibs is there?

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Durant
KAT

Make it happen
:hammertime:

FireDavidKahn
04-21-2016, 12:49 PM
Could Durant sign for the Wolves now that Thibs is there?

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Durant
KAT

Make it happen
:hammertime:
No.

PeroAntic
04-21-2016, 01:05 PM
No.
Why not though, this is immediately a championship winning team. No cap space?

Legends66NBA7
04-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Why not though, this is immediately a championship winning team. No cap space?

While it's possible, I don't know if KD is always going to play the 4. And yeah, I would figure there's no cap space and Durant is probably not going to consider Minnesota.

Pointguard
04-21-2016, 02:57 PM
Apparently Prince isn't a Thibes fan.

Pointguard
04-21-2016, 03:04 PM
They are a top four team in the West within two years, yes replacing either the Clippers or OKC. Will likely get a stretch four in the draft. They still need a rebounder and an athletic point guard. Need a better bench overall but they are improving a lot. I think they will be a six seed next year.

smoovegittar
04-21-2016, 06:38 PM
It's gonna be hella fun to watch this team. Congrats to Wolves fans for getting it done.

poido123
04-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Thibs will be great for the Wolves, ONLY IF they are able to fill the coaching staff with some offensive minded personnel.

They need a guy from the Spurs camp to guide Thibs on how to manage minutes and do an offense outside of high screen pick and rolls.

Bay Area Baller
04-21-2016, 07:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1js2m2_d0M

I miss you Thibs :(

:oldlol: :oldlol:

brownboyfly
04-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Apparently Prince isn't a Thibes fan.

Underrated post ITT.

JtotheIzzo
04-22-2016, 03:10 AM
Awesome on every level.

He is going to make Towns and Wiggins so good it is going to be like Anthony Davis and Scottie Pippen teamed up to tear the league a new one.

Be interesting to see if he can teach Lavine how to play defense. If he can then there is the record for 6 man of the year.

draft Jamal Murray, draft Jamal Murray, draft Jamal Murray...

Prime_Shaq
04-22-2016, 08:48 AM
I think its a fantastic move for the Wolves, maybe just a tad too long.