PDA

View Full Version : Nets 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread!

Nets fan 93
04-21-2016, 12:13 PM
We can talk about anything Nets related here throughout the offseason!

What do you guys think of the new head coach?
What do you guys think about Tim Walsh getting fired?

Kiddlovesnets
04-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Well can anyone enlighten me why we were sitting Brook Lopez and Thaddeus young since 10 games left in the regular season? Tanking for the Celtics? I dont understand at all.
:sleeping

Nets fan 93
05-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Well can anyone enlighten me why we were sitting Brook Lopez and Thaddeus young since 10 games left in the regular season? Tanking for the Celtics? I dont understand at all.
:sleeping
They were playing for nothing anyway so they got all that they could out of the younger players. But even then they "rested" Hollis-Jefferson as well. So who knows.

Kiddlovesnets
05-04-2016, 03:29 AM
They were playing for nothing anyway so they got all that they could out of the younger players. But even then they "rested" Hollis-Jefferson as well. So who knows.

That really sucks, it hurts when I see Celtics fans maliciously rooting for us to lose. I hope they get as low a pick as possible, hopefully 5-6th.
:facepalm

MTing
05-04-2016, 08:47 PM
That really sucks, it hurts when I see Celtics fans maliciously rooting for us to lose. I hope they get as low a pick as possible, hopefully 5-6th.
Knowing our luck, they get 1-3 lol.

What do you guys think will happen this off season? Will it be like 2010 where we strike out on every big name FA? Hopefully being in Brooklyn will change that.

Kiddlovesnets
05-05-2016, 02:11 AM
Knowing our luck, they get 1-3 lol.

What do you guys think will happen this off season? Will it be like 2010 where we strike out on every big name FA? Hopefully being in Brooklyn will change that.

Ideally we strike for big name FA, but make sure their contract length is no more than 3 years. The Nets have no pick until 2018, so we must avoid tanking until then. If everything works out, we tank in 2019 with all these contracts expiring, grabbing a 1-4 pick, and land some superstars.

Remember we also have to pay Deron's buyout contract for the next 4 years, which pretty much cut down the cap space we have. Damn Deron f*cked the Nets over so bad, I hope he breaks his legs in Dallas.
:banghead:

Nets fan 93
05-09-2016, 06:04 PM
As a nets fan I give up hoping for the best. I hope they can at least get a couple of players that can start for them. I wouldn't be mad with Jeremy Lin. I doubt Durant comes here. Or Derozoan.... I like Conley but don't see that happening either. Get some quality players and I'll be happy. No more being bad for the Celtics advantage please! That's all I ask lol

Silenttristo
05-18-2016, 12:39 PM
After hearing KA talking on the Vertical pod, I think they'll definitely be looking into some international free agents and hoping they can tap that resource over the next few seasons. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they brought a few guys over to try out for the team.

gigantes
05-20-2016, 12:04 PM
whoa... i didn't even see this thread until just now. anyway, i think the most important things for the nets are the continued org building and the making of smart decisions.

make one good decision, then another, and then another. act out of patience, not urgency. good things will eventually happen.

my guess as to the tim walsh situation is that marks talked to him about modernising his techniques, and walsh responded with something like "i've been doing this stuff for X years and am regarded as one of the best in the business. i'm going to do what i think is right." ...and marks' decision was made.

i'm not worried about the celtics-owned picks. what happens with those picks has only the slightest bearing on the nets' future. the only reason to worry about them is as an act of hand-wringing and saying "oh woe, what could have been." yeah, screw that noise.

a reasonable goal for the offseason would be to pick up some interesting prospects to either stash or add to the long island nets. having a d-league team should be very helpful, particularly in the years to come.

who knows... maybe atkinson can rehabilitate one of the PG's on the roster. it seems to be his specialty, plus the words of joe johnson echo in my head-- "too many guys were just playing for their own stats last season."

a reasonable goal for next season would be to overtake the knicks and see more development out of the three prospects (RHJ, brown, mccullough). it sounds like they are working hard during this offseason, so that's a positive sign. if the team merely picks up where it left before thad and brook were shelved, it's at least going to be a well-playing team.

Nets fan 93
05-21-2016, 12:28 PM
With all the staff Marks and his new staff are getting rid of, I can see the same exact thing with the roster. I can't wait to see the new roster.

Bully King's shooting coach hire David Nurse was just canned.

gigantes
05-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Bully King's shooting coach hire David Nurse was just canned.
that didn't take long to fix.

now we have KD's shooting coach. :cheers:

MTing
05-21-2016, 09:30 PM
that didn't take long to fix.

now we have KD's shooting coach. :cheers:
Good signing. Hopefully this will improve RHJ's jumper.

Nets fan 93
05-25-2016, 10:57 AM
Good signing. Hopefully this will improve RHJ's jumper.
As well as Markel and CMC's! T rob is opting out so we really need CMC to be productive.

veilside23
06-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Rumor has it that nets are interested in Howard ...

Lopez can be a sign and trade for harrison barnes .

Kevin love might not be a cavs next season so who knows

either get lawson or rondo best case would be conley.

Prok said they want to win marks would do that if GSW doesnt pay barnes am sure he would thrive in the east.

gigantes
06-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Rumor has it that nets are interested in Howard ...

Lopez can be a sign and trade for harrison barnes .

Kevin love might not be a cavs next season so who knows

either get lawson or rondo best case would be conley.

Prok said they want to win marks would do that if GSW doesnt pay barnes am sure he would thrive in the east.
as an actual nets fan, i hope that everything you just said is wrong and completely baseless. :D

Nets fan 93
06-21-2016, 03:57 AM
as an actual nets fan, i hope that everything you just said is wrong and completely baseless. :D
I agree!

Kiddlovesnets
06-22-2016, 12:07 PM
I agree!

I hope so too, lets hope Barnes goes to Lakes for $23m/yr, thats where he truly belongs.

Nets fan 93
06-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Gotta look for a new avatar now. :( I should probably just wait though

Kiddlovesnets
06-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Gotta look for a new avatar now. :( I should probably just wait though

Well I think a 20th pick is kinda, meh. But if the Nets were just trying to dump Thad Young's overpaid contract, its not that bad.

gigantes
06-23-2016, 02:57 PM
they better hit a grand slam with that 20th pick, because that's a horrible trade IMO.

thad is one of the better PF's in the game, doesn't need plays called for him, and does a bit of everything. plus, he's heading in to his prime on a contract which is actually a decent deal given the huge bump in salary cap.

brook's gotta be pretty discouraged after this. maybe they trade him too, and go in to full 'prospects / tank' mode.

Nets fan 93
06-24-2016, 12:08 AM
They drafted a project player. Kinda like CMC. He won't even play in the summer league. Caris LeVert.

Isaiah Whitehead from Seton Hall is a nice pick. I think he is pretty good and could be a very nice back up PG.

MTing
06-30-2016, 07:02 PM
Looks like we have a boat load of money to sign whoever now. Rumors say we are interested in Rondo. I would be interested in Rondo as long as we don't break the bank signing him. I know people call him a locker room cancer and head case but our plan the next few years is to basically not suck. As long as we don't give Boston a top 3 pick, I'd consider it a success. I think Brook would love to play with a pass first PG like Rondo.

BTW I just realized my mod powers got taken away. I guess I haven't been active enough but there isn't much moderating to do around here anyway lol. NF93 it's all up to you now!

gigantes
06-30-2016, 09:59 PM
...I just realized my mod powers got taken away. I guess I haven't been active enough but there isn't much moderating to do around here anyway lol. NF93 it's all up to you now!
but you're one of the very few of us still posting here!

dude, you don't want NF93 to get drunk with moderating power now, do you...?!

MTing
07-01-2016, 02:40 AM
but you're one of the very few of us still posting here!

dude, you don't want NF93 to get drunk with moderating power now, do you...?!
If theres anyone I trust its him. He's been with us since the Kidd/VC/RJ days and he is more active than I am. I'm sure he'll continue to a great job without me.

gigantes
07-01-2016, 05:37 AM
"those who seek power the least make the best rulers"
--some ancient chinese mofo

i agree about NF93 tho.

i guess i won't have to holler someone's ear off for cutting your job if you don't really want it. still, how are you going to manage without that income...?

MTing
07-01-2016, 12:20 PM
i guess i won't have to holler someone's ear off for cutting your job if you don't really want it. still, how are you going to manage without that income...?
Guess I'll have to file for unemployment..

In other news!
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/hAfUSJzKLLPi3dXc_UXrUnG5WuU=/0x0:667x445/1310x873/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/50002177/CmSN5JZUsAAxHHx.0.0.jpg
3/$36 million is steal for him. I'm glad we can sell Brook-Lin t-shirts now.

Kiddlovesnets
07-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Id say 3yrs/$27m or 3yrs/$30m would be a steal. 3yrs/$36m is about the average salary he will get, its decent but nothing exceptional.

gigantes
07-01-2016, 04:04 PM
considering how important the PG position is, i'm happy with this signing. jack may have been a great sidelines and locker room leader, but he wasn't much for running an offense.

i'm still gutted they threw away young, tho. lin / young / brook would have meshed very nicely IMO.

it's like the ghost of billy king stuck around to cause one more horrible trade. grrrrr

MTing
07-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Id say 3yrs/$27m or 3yrs/$30m would be a steal. 3yrs/$36m is about the average salary he will get, its decent but nothing exceptional.
Considering what everyone else is getting so far(looking at that Mozgov deal), I'd say its a great deal.

considering how important the PG position is, i'm happy with this signing. jack may have been a great sidelines and locker room leader, but he wasn't much for running an offense.

i'm still gutted they threw away young, tho. lin / young / brook would have meshed very nicely IMO.

it's like the ghost of billy king stuck around to cause one more horrible trade. grrrrr

While I was sad we gave Young away too, this off-season just started. There's still a chance we sign a better replacement for Thad since we still have a good amount of money left.

What do you guys think of getting Ryan Anderson back? We should have never thrown him into the VC trade all those years ago..

Nets fan 93
07-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Oh damn I'm the lone wolf now. I'm not even as active but I make sure to check in if anything crazy happens. J-Lin back in New York. Honestly compared to what others have gotten... I really like his deal. In other news Joe Johnson signed with the Utah Jazz for 11 mill per... Gotta love it

ScalsFan21
07-05-2016, 01:37 AM
I like almost everything we've done this offseason, to be honest.

The Thad thing gave me some pause for sure, and ultimately the fact that they ended up going with LeVert at 20 after shopping Thad to the highest bidder made me realize that this was the guy they wanted no matter what.

I think he's had multiple foot surgeries (?), but for this guy to be the guy they take when he was a projected 2nd round pick at least gives me the confidence to know they have a vision for the team, and that even on a team-friendly deal, Thad wasn't a part of it. I think Young is a little bit overrated and undersized for his skill set, so I don't mind the move if Marks doesn't think he fits into what he's trying to build. At the very least, it doesn't feel like they're just throwing crap at a wall.

Haven't seen much of Whitehead but I'm hearing only good things about him as well. Love Tyler Johnson and I think he's really got upside to be a good PG in this league. I just worry if he gets caught being an Oladipo type offensively, not really having a true "position", but he's a phenomenal talent.

With Prok finally giving up on this ridiculous 5 years or bust thing, hopefully he gives the new regime some freedom to sort of start from the beginning. You ain't winning anytime soon against Cleveland and Golden Stacked anyway no matter what 2nd-tier FAs you bring in, so might as well aim to contend in a few years instead. Playing in Brooklyn is definitely something that could intrigue some guys if they're able to cobble together a respectable framework, so I think that should be their goal for now.

That and just putting a watchable product on the court. Being rid of Deron and Joe for a full season with their losing mindsets is totally liberating though as a person who wants to watch a fun team... go Nets.

Kiddlovesnets
07-05-2016, 11:12 AM
umm so we are overpaying the likes of Johnson and Crabbe. Fine with me considering we were way under the salary floor and needs to sign some FAs to make it up there.

ScalsFan21
07-06-2016, 04:43 AM
umm so we are overpaying the likes of Johnson and Crabbe. Fine with me considering we were way under the salary floor and needs to sign some FAs to make it up there.

Eh, looks like the Crabbe thing isn't happening anyway.

Nets fan 93
07-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Eh, looks like the Crabbe thing isn't happening anyway.
Which is unfortunate because I'm a huge fan of him. I think he could really break out here. But it's okay. Still some solid FA's on the board

gigantes
07-06-2016, 03:24 PM
so the nets are letting go of markel brown. i'm disappointed, since he can do some nice things on the court... plus its usually after the first year or two that players make their greatest improvement. $1mil isn't much to pay, and now that we have a d-league team, he could have gotten some serious burn there while showing off his (theoretical) improvements.

so yeah, the nets are making some nice signings and all, i just wish there wasn't this 'out with the old' mentality just for the sake of getting rid of the old. or at least, that's what it seems like when it comes to young and brown.

Nets fan 93
07-07-2016, 02:18 AM
so the nets are letting go of markel brown. i'm disappointed, since he can do some nice things on the court... plus its usually after the first year or two that players make their greatest improvement. $1mil isn't much to pay, and now that we have a d-league team, he could have gotten some serious burn there while showing off his (theoretical) improvements.

so yeah, the nets are making some nice signings and all, i just wish there wasn't this 'out with the old' mentality just for the sake of getting rid of the old. or at least, that's what it seems like when it comes to young and brown.
I'm with you. I thought he would have been the only exception of getting rid of the old. He can at least go out there and hustle. could have gotten some minutes. Oh well.

Kiddlovesnets
07-08-2016, 02:10 PM
I think Crabbe's contract is way overpaid. His market value is 4yr/$60m, but 4 yr/$70m is acceptable. 4 yr/$75m is too much, he doesnt deserve to get paid $19m a year. But well I guess we have to reach the salary floor, so the FO decided to overpay him.

Nets fan 93
07-08-2016, 10:10 PM
I don't mind the extra 5 million. He's young with potential. Can't wait to see what he can do if with starting minutes if the Blazers don't match.

ScalsFan21
07-09-2016, 08:17 AM
I like the kid. Could develop into a Wes Matt type, high-end 3 and D skills. Signing would look a lot better to me if we had a franchise player or something but we gotta start somewhere I guess.

Hoping Portland and Miami both pass on matching the offer sheets really. Start loading up on young talent now and hopefully we'll be in position to compete in a few years after the 6th consecutive Cavs/Warriors Finals. :lol

gigantes
07-09-2016, 07:12 PM
seems like it's taking forever for the other teams to match / decline crabbe and johnson.

Nets fan 93
07-09-2016, 08:34 PM
seems like it's taking forever for the other teams to match / decline crabbe and johnson.
Both players are being paid a lot of money.. Both are probably not gonna start on the heat or Blazers so they really gotta think about if it's worth it. They are both young with potential so it's tough.

gigantes
07-10-2016, 03:42 AM
but what if i told you that i just like crabbin' about johnson?

Nets fan 93
07-10-2016, 09:08 PM
So the Nets have a lot of cap space...

veilside23
07-11-2016, 11:19 PM
why did they sign vasquez? they could have gone after Gerald green ? you guys have Whitehead already who is think will surprise a lot. so no need for another combo guard. I wonder if prok will hit a big free agent next year considering there are a lot of players out there that can be a difference maker.

Nets fan 93
07-12-2016, 01:20 AM
why did they sign vasquez? they could have gone after Gerald green ? you guys have Whitehead already who is think will surprise a lot. so no need for another combo guard. I wonder if prok will hit a big free agent next year considering there are a lot of players out there that can be a difference maker.
In like the Vasquez signing. Whitehead might be nice but then again he's never played in an NBA game before and he was a second round pick. We should let him ease into it and give Lin someone more reliable to back him up.

gigantes
07-14-2016, 07:50 PM
anthony bennett? that's cool

i kind of like giving 2nd chances to young guys who were huge busts, for minimal bucks. you never know...

MTing
07-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Agree I don't mind Bennett signing. It's like signing Blatche a couple of years ago and he turned out to be a serviceable back up.

Nets fan 93
08-02-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm glad he pulled all these role players for only one year. None of those player options like that were given in the past (even though they mostly always declined anyway)

Nets fan 93
10-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Anyone watch the first preseason game?

gigantes
10-07-2016, 02:20 PM
i caught the highlights and read the recap. sounded pretty good. you...?

gigantes
10-08-2016, 02:40 PM
you're going to want to snag this artwork, stat:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419286

Nets fan 93
10-10-2016, 03:00 AM
i caught the highlights and read the recap. sounded pretty good. you...?
I watched the second half of both games. So I didn't get to see any of the starters play together but it was fun. They're defense is not too bad. Ball movement looks really good. They said Kenny is giving everyone the green light to shoot the three this year. Idk how I feel about that yet.