PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant will sign with the Heat

JohnnySic
04-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Why? They are a warm weather city, a party city, will have cap space, some good young players in place already, and the shrewd Pat Riley who will get it done. Durant will lead their next team as they transition away from Wade and Bosh.

I was inspired to make this thread because this outcome is just so easy to predict, and I wanted to spare everyone the suspense. You're welcome.

AirBonner
04-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Why? They are a warm weather city, a party city, will have cap space, some good young players in place already, and the shrewd Pat Riley who will get it done. Durant will lead their next team as they transition away from Wade and Bosh.

I was inspired to make this thread because this outcome is just so easy to predict, and I wanted to spare everyone the suspense. You're welcome.
While it is very possible. I don't see Durant as a party type. So that wouldn't matter

JohnnySic
04-25-2016, 12:42 PM
https://blog-blogmediainc.netdna-ssl.com/upload/SportsBlogcom/151330/0422856001433891858_filepicker.jpg

Goldrush25
04-25-2016, 12:45 PM
If he's smart he'll sign with the Celtics.

JohnnySic
04-25-2016, 12:46 PM
If he's smart he'll sign with the Celtics.
I wish. But I dont see it.

AirBonner
04-25-2016, 12:49 PM
We didn't see Kevin Garnett coming here

Mike smith
04-25-2016, 12:50 PM
https://blog-blogmediainc.netdna-ssl.com/upload/SportsBlogcom/151330/0422856001433891858_filepicker.jpg
They don't have room for to max contracts in whiteside and Durant

FreezingTsmoove
04-25-2016, 12:56 PM
Party? :lol

We tom bout the same guy who skipped prom so he could practice basketball :roll:

Lebronxrings
04-25-2016, 01:10 PM
the heat finally get an alpha post bron. :applause:

We really needed that.

ralph_i_el
04-25-2016, 01:12 PM
That would be the longest wingspan team in history.

Real Men Wear Green
04-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Possible but it would put a lie to the Gatorade-sponsored beef between him and Wade from a few years ago.

Lebronxrings
04-25-2016, 01:15 PM
hopefully wade is unselfish this time and actually contributes to his team and not cost them a series. *cough 2011 finals*.

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 01:15 PM
They don't have room for to max contracts in whiteside and Durant

Miami has a pretty empty salary so won't take it out the occasion. we can see McBob being dealt for next to nothing players to free up space, and Deng/Wade will be FAs and having their future deals accommodating the signing of Whiteside and KD.

next thing that is a possibility is Bosh being forced into retirement due to his injury, and though it'll be a huge loss in losing him - it's definitely the best option for his health, and surely he'll get paid from the Heat's insurer and his contract won't impact the cap, if it does, minimally.

all this is reliant on the Thunder getting knocked out in the semi's though - if they make the WCF and it's a descent series, I can see KD signing up for a 1yr to have one last go with Westbrook in OKC, with added role players to help. If they get bounced earlier or the WCF is basic blowout, KD likely relocates and Miami is the best suitor available.

He can get a max deal with the Heat (but will sign for less after the sit-down with Riley), a great supporting cast of vets and pretty good youngin's, no state tax, the best front office mgmt, and a high title contention likeliness with the only other powerhouse being Cleveland in the East. The party scene is irrelevant - he wants a ring, and that's just a bonus if he were to sign with Miami.

#TrustInRiles :cheers:

and Whiteside can get a max elsewhere if he wanted, but he's not going to leave Miami and will settle for a less than max, but certainly respectable offer from Riley and the Miami FO. Miami's staff created this monster, and he's certainly aware and will sho appreciation by re-upping to the Heat. only way he leaves is if we lowball him - which isn't something Riley or the Front Office will do. Our salary handlers are some of the best, if not the best, in the league.

HurricaneKid
04-25-2016, 01:16 PM

Please explain the split between Wade/Whiteside/KD that is less than 44M. They can't even do Whiteside/KD. They don't have the cap to do what you are suggesting.

People need to gain a cursory understanding of the cap. Dragic/Bosh make a LOT of money next year and the Heat have no Bird Rights on Whiteside (well, they can pay up to the MLE, but that's it and that's not enough) and would need to be under the cap to sign KD.

And the assumption of losing Deng should be acknowledged. He has been really good since playing as a stretch 4.

PJR
04-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Miami will sacrifice Dragic, and package him with McRoberts, if Durant wants to come. The salary space can be made easily, it's just a matter of whether he or not he wants to come. And I'm more than comfortable sacrificing Dragic considering the prospects of Josh Richardson and Tyler Johnson.

plowking
04-25-2016, 01:31 PM
If he does, he finally becomes the best player in the league, and he finally wins a ring.

HurricaneKid
04-25-2016, 01:31 PM
next thing that is a possibility is Bosh being forced into retirement due to his injury, and though it'll be a huge loss in losing him - it's definitely the best option for his health, and surely he'll get paid from the Heat's insurer and his contract won't impact the cap, if it does, minimally.

This is JUST NOT THE CASE.

This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

The waiting period depends on the number games in which the player played in the season:

•If the player played 10 or more games in a season, the team can apply on the one-year anniversary of the player's last game.

Or, they can claim the disabled player exception and would get:

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to replace a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (it can also be granted in the event of a player's death). This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15.

If this exception is granted, the team can acquire one player via free agent signing, trade or waiver claim, to replace the disabled player:
•The team may sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.

Either way, it has enormous impact on their ability to do ANYTHING this offseason.

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Please explain the split between Wade/Whiteside/KD that is less than 44M. They can't even do Whiteside/KD. They don't have the cap to do what you are suggesting.

People need to gain a cursory understanding of the cap. Dragic/Bosh make a LOT of money next year and the Heat have no Bird Rights on Whiteside (well, they can pay up to the MLE, but that's it and that's not enough) and would need to be under the cap to sign KD.

And the assumption of losing Deng should be acknowledged. He has been really good since playing as a stretch 4.

wade will not be paid heavily this summer - they gave him $20mil this past year to help compensate for the dip he's likely to get these upcoming years. the remainder of his salary will be paid when he transitions to the Heat front office (same as the Zo scenario) and a position is created for him.

I do see Deng rolling out as we can't pay him heavily, and he'll certainly get plenty interest elsewhere - however, I can also see Riley being able to retain him once he can assure KD/Whiteside are secured.

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=HurricaneKid]This is JUST NOT THE CASE.

This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion following a waiting period. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

The waiting period depends on the number games in which the player played in the season:

[B][I]

HurricaneKid
04-25-2016, 02:26 PM
wade will not be paid heavily this summer - they gave him $20mil this past year to help compensate for the dip he's likely to get these upcoming years. the remainder of his salary will be paid when he transitions to the Heat front office (same as the Zo scenario) and a position is created for him.

I do see Deng rolling out as we can't pay him heavily, and he'll certainly get plenty interest elsewhere - however, I can also see Riley being able to retain him once he can assure KD/Whiteside are secured.

Wade was REALLY GOOD this year. I don't know what you are suggesting for him salary-wise but even at the league min (and that's not going to happen), the Heat STILL cannot sign Whiteside and KD. Personally, I think Wade would take it personally if he is offered less than half of what Biyombo/Ezeli get. And there are a lot of contenders that will have a lot of money and will be happy to pay him a reasonable wage next season.

Either way, KD gets 27M+ for this year, Whiteside gets 23M. And you need the total between Wade, KD and Whiteside to be <44.

HurricaneKid
04-25-2016, 02:29 PM
it will be the Disabled Exception, so you're getting about $12mil from Bosh's contact to use elsewhere and the insurer picking up the remainder. very significant amount of funding being made available, if this is the case.

If that is the exception you want, you can only use it to sign a single player for 1 season so you would not get Bird rights on that player. And who are they going to get for 12M? This has to be used like a TPE, not just adding the 12M back into the cap.

ZeN
04-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Party? :lol

We tom bout the same guy who skipped prom so he could practice basketball :roll:
Sounds like Kobe..

dazzer87
04-25-2016, 03:28 PM
No way there's no way hes giving up hanging out at AppleBee in OKC on a Saturday night

Bandito
04-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Put on some glasses then because hes gonna be a future Celt :djparty:

RRR3
04-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Man I would love that!

I hope he does :D

GrapeApe
04-25-2016, 04:32 PM
If there's anyone who can pull it off it's Riley, but it would take some real creativity and probably some salary sacrifices. I joke a lot about Durant coming to Miami but realistically I know it's a longshot. It will be an interesting summer.

BlakFrankWhite
04-25-2016, 04:37 PM
:lol

And team up with Crocked Wade? Westbrook shits on that has-been bastard

GrapeApe
04-25-2016, 05:38 PM
:lol

And team up with Crocked Wade? Westbrook shits on that has-been bastard

I don't think you get it. It's not about Wade and Westbrook. Well, it's partially about Westbrook, but Durant wouldn't be coming to Miami for the purpose of teaming up with Wade. If that's the logic you're using, you obviously don't understand the appeal of the Heat organization. Wade might be a part of the recruiting process, but Wade the player is an extremely minor factor in the big picture.

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Wade was REALLY GOOD this year. I don't know what you are suggesting for him salary-wise but even at the league min (and that's not going to happen), the Heat STILL cannot sign Whiteside and KD. Personally, I think Wade would take it personally if he is offered less than half of what Biyombo/Ezeli get. And there are a lot of contenders that will have a lot of money and will be happy to pay him a reasonable wage next season.

Either way, KD gets 27M+ for this year, Whiteside gets 23M. And you need the total between Wade, KD and Whiteside to be <44.

well therein lies the dilemma...what to do with Wade. If we keep him, we have to pay him heavily, unless there was some agreement for the $20mil this season and having him take a payout going forward. I personally think this is the case - Wade signs a 1yr deal at a less than stellar amount, or a 1+1, the back end being more loaded.

however if there wasn't any agreement, it's decision the Miami FO has to make - which I don't see any issue for Riley doing. That decision is looking towards the Heat's future in telling Wade take it or leave it, and not remaining an above par squad with what we basically have now and signing Whiteside long term. and I know most other Heat fans don't agree with me on this, but Wade isn't leading us to anymore title contentions no matter how "stellar" his play is at times. we have to do what's best for the organization and to become true title contenders, IMO - and that means cutting ties with the tenured, nothing personal, just business oriented to bring us more title opportunities :cheers:

now the latter is highly unlikely, but we've seen it happen before with Zo - a beloved Miami great, basically building this franchise's early success, and even he was shown the door. Riley created a FO position to take care of him after, but who knows if Wade is willing to go that route.

If that is the exception you want, you can only use it to sign a single player for 1 season so you would not get Bird rights on that player. And who are they going to get for 12M? This has to be used like a TPE, not just adding the 12M back into the cap.

if they are chasing KD and plan to keep Whiteside, they are most certainly shipping out McBob. so we're looking at about $45/46 mil available.

KD's certainly not going to come here for anything less than a first year term of $25mil, as he makes $22mil now (unless he's really willing to take the cut)

Whiteside you have a bit of leverage as you created him to where he is, so he's more flexible on staying loyal and agreeing to a cut - can we get away with $20mil? :confusedshrug:

so that leaves Wade again to get his - as Wade has to be around for KD to be lured, you would think. I didn't think of this much and will have to review Wade's birds right status - but why can't we sign KD and give Whiteside his, and put Wade up on a birds right deal ala Tristan Thompson with the Cavs? i know Mickey hates the tax situation, and why Mike Miller was ousted, but if you're creating a team including KD, Wade, Whiteside, Tragic and potentially Bosh, you bite that bullet ten fold. the extended playoff series you gain and increased support for a top 2/3 squad will repay itself. :confused shrug: gotta look this up a bit

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 05:51 PM
I don't think you get it. It's not about Wade and Westbrook. Well, it's partially about Westbrook, but Durant wouldn't be coming to Miami for the purpose of teaming up with Wade. If that's the logic you're using, you obviously don't understand the appeal of the Heat organization. Wade might be a part of the recruiting process, but Wade the player is an extremely minor factor in the big picture.

he's just an OKC stan trying to keep the city relevant in hopes KD doesn't leave :hammerhead:

Wade is a key piece to luring KD over - KDs not coming to Miami without that leadership around, though it would be a better situation than the current OKC setup. Dragic/Richardson, JJ, KD/Winslow/Deng, Bosh, Whiteside is certainly a much more threatening squad than OKC, IMO.

it's going to take some huge sacrifices once again from all the stars to keep Wade - and if anyone can do that, it's Riley.

Spurs m8
04-25-2016, 06:03 PM
LOL does anyone outside of Heat fans rate this team, at all?

Teams garbage

GrapeApe
04-25-2016, 06:12 PM
he's just an OKC stan trying to keep the city relevant in hopes KD doesn't leave :hammerhead:

Wade is a key piece to luring KD over - KDs not coming to Miami without that leadership around, though it would be a better situation than the current OKC setup. Dragic/Richardson, JJ, KD/Winslow/Deng, Bosh, Whiteside is certainly a much more threatening squad than OKC, IMO.

it's going to take some huge sacrifices once again from all the stars to keep Wade - and if anyone can do that, it's Riley.

First, and let's just get this out of the way, Wade isn't going anywhere. You made the Zo comparison, but Zo isn't Wade. Wade is in a different stratosphere as a Heat legend and Miami sports icon. He's the Heat's only drafted superstar, the most decorated player in franchise history, and arguably the biggest sports icon in south Florida history (he's suprassed Marino imo). If Wade left the Heat it would have to be 100% on his terms, and he's made it very clear he wants to finish his career in Miami.

I do think that Wade will be taking a cap friendly deal. His max contract this season was essentially the front-loaded part of his final contract. I'm sure this was thoroughly discussed when his current contract was inked. I agree that Wade is a big part of the Durant equation. He knows this and the organization knows this. Again, it will take some sacrifice and creativity to get it done, but Riley has a way of pulling things out of his, well, you know where. A deep playoff run this year would help our chances as well.

greatest-ever
04-25-2016, 06:15 PM
Well let me tell you something, if Okc loses to the Spurs in the next round i can definitely see him leaving. I don't know if it would be to go to the heat, but it's a legit possibility.

GrapeApe
04-25-2016, 06:24 PM
LOL does anyone outside of Heat fans rate this team, at all?

Teams garbage

The Heat are considered by nearly everyone to be one of the top organizations in the league. I don't know if you're trolling or ignorant.

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 06:32 PM
First, and let's just get this out of the way, Wade isn't going anywhere. You made the Zo comparison, but Zo isn't Wade. Wade is in a different stratosphere as a Heat legend and Miami sports icon. He's the Heat's only drafted superstar, the most decorated player in franchise history, and arguably the biggest sports icon in south Florida history (he's suprassed Marino imo). If Wade left the Heat it would have to be 100% on his terms, and he's made it very clear he wants to finish his career in Miami

all this is known - but exactly what do you rather, personally, sending Wade off in a Bryant-esque way, overpaying his worth while the team stays par level? or going the Zo route, allowing him to play wherever and get his pockets filled, and then returning to the Heat on few days to a year contract and officially retiring (or taking a huge paycut)?

the latter gives the Heat the opportunity to win now if it comes down to it - and I am a team first fan. as much as Wade has done for us, it's not going to benefit the Heat to overpay him and lose out on potentially landing someone like KD alongside Whiteside for our future, and also have young guys like Winslow and Richardson in the upbringing who have shown more than ready to help fully contend for a title. it will put us deeper into a hole if we gift Wade again, the one we see the Lakers unable to get out of for at least the next 3-4yrs (almost 6-7yrs in total) because of the organization sacrificing for a player, rather than the player sacrificing for the betterment of the team.

again, we will always disagree, and that's fine - I'm not on the side of overpaying a player for their past tenure, it doesn't benefit the team now or for the future. either he sacrifices for us more and get paid in the FO, or if he wants to be stubborn, he can then be shown the door as we seek more adequate talent going forward - which is certainly a given with young talent like Whiteside, Richardson and Winslow all being a Heat for another 3-4yrs minimum, a vet in Dragic to run the point and potentially Bosh if he doesn't retire and remains healthy.

this is all likely not to happen, but i'm just not a fan of settling and watching almost guaranteed opportunities pass us by. best case scenario is to wait out KD's decision with OKC and see if he picks up another year their (we risk them going to the finals and potentially winning a title, and losing KD though :banged: ), sign Wade to another 1yr heavy contract and get Whiteside long term, then pitch a long term to KD in 2017/18 going forward.

GrapeApe
04-25-2016, 06:50 PM
all this is known - but exactly what do you rather, personally, sending Wade off in a Bryant-esque way, overpaying his worth while the team stays par level? or going the Zo route, allowing him to play wherever and get his pockets filled, and then returning to the Heat on few days to a year contract and officially retiring (or taking a huge paycut)?

the latter gives the Heat the opportunity to win now if it comes down to it - and I am a team first fan. as much as Wade has done for us, it's not going to benefit the Heat to overpay him and lose out on potentially landing someone like KD alongside Whiteside for our future, and also have young guys like Winslow and Richardson in the upbringing who have shown more than ready to help fully contend for a title. it will put us deeper into a hole if we gift Wade again, the one we see the Lakers unable to get out of for at least the next 3-4yrs (almost 6-7yrs in total) because of the organization sacrificing for a player, rather than the player sacrificing for the betterment of the team.

again, we will always disagree, and that's fine - I'm not on the side of overpaying a player for their past tenure, it doesn't benefit the team now or for the future. either he sacrifices for us more and get paid in the FO, or if he wants to be stubborn, he can then be shown the door as we seek more adequate talent going forward - which is certainly a given with young talent like Whiteside, Richardson and Winslow all being a Heat for another 3-4yrs minimum, a vet in Dragic to run the point and potentially Bosh if he doesn't retire and remains healthy.

this is all likely not to happen, but i'm just not a fan of settling and watching almost guaranteed opportunities pass us by. best case scenario is to wait out KD's decision with OKC and see if he picks up another year their (we risk them going to the finals and potentially winning a title, and losing KD though :banged: ), sign Wade to another 1yr heavy contract and get Whiteside long term, then pitch a long term to KD in 2017/18 going forward.

I wasn't commenting about what the Heat should or shouldn't do, nor what was best for the organization. My only point was that Wade isn't going anywhere so it's not even worth discussing. I wouldn't worry about a Kobe situation either. Wade isn't a complete narcissist and the Heat FO isn't stupid. Wade actually cares about the Heat organization and its future. Wade also wants to win and he knows that his days of being a championship centerpiece are over.

kNicKz
04-25-2016, 07:05 PM
hopefully wade is unselfish this time and actually contributes to his team and not cost them a series. *cough 2011 finals*.

:coleman:

PJR
04-25-2016, 07:30 PM
The Heat are considered by nearly everyone to be one of the top organizations in the league. I don't know if you're trolling or ignorant.

That poster you quoted is a fa99ot. Pay him no mind, brother.

Spurs m8
04-25-2016, 07:39 PM
That poster you quoted is a fa99ot. Pay him no mind, brother.

Truth hurts, hey fa9?

I'm not talking about the organization in general, but their ability on court currently.

Considering the Heat are light years away from even being a true contender, go blow a goat.

Cheers

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 07:57 PM
I wasn't commenting about what the Heat should or shouldn't do, nor what was best for the organization. My only point was that Wade isn't going anywhere so it's not even worth discussing. I wouldn't worry about a Kobe situation either. Wade isn't a complete narcissist and the Heat FO isn't stupid. Wade actually cares about the Heat organization and its future. Wade also wants to win and he knows that his days of being a championship centerpiece are over.

well i base it off the past couple contract discussions, and his comments throughout the years. yes he cares about the future of the organization, and yes the Heat care about him - but there has been no median to be honest. Wade always felt underpaid, and to his defense was - but he's gotten titles for his sacrifice, and it's not to say we made him tighten his belt any.

we shall see - I'm just under the impression that Wade will command a lot, and it'll cost us heavily. his tweets in lieu of Manning with the Broncos, etc. all are hints at him deserving more. whether the FO bites or not is to be seen. just hope it doesn't cost us.

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Truth hurts, hey fa9?

I'm not talking about the organization in general, but their ability on court currently.

Considering the Heat are light years away from even being a true contender, go blow a goat.

Cheers

definitely not light years - we can certainly give the top teams a run, but are missing a superstar level player to be considered amongst the Cle,GSW, SAS threat.

Spurs m8
04-25-2016, 10:13 PM
These losers drop another game to Charlotte LMFAO

kenny817
04-25-2016, 11:16 PM
I guess no one here has heard of a cap hold?

Wade has an absolutely massive cap hold this offseason.