PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to fear - Warriors are overstating the recovery time

3ball
04-25-2016, 05:17 PM
Most sources say that recovery time for a Grade 1 sprain is between a few days and 1.5 weeks - the following diagnosis are listed in order of shortest to longest recovery time:

Healthline.com:

"Since grade 1 MCL injuries are minor, they only take a few days to heal."

UCSFhealth.org:

"Grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently to return to normal activities, including sports."

ESPN.com, Dr. Selesnick:

"The more minor sprains, like Grade I injuries, may only keep an athlete out of action for a few days to a week or two."

knee-pain-explained.com

"A grade 1 MCL injury usually heals itself within a couple of weeks"

WebMD:

"Mild or grade 1 injuries usually get better in 1 to 3 weeks and may only need home treatment along with using crutches for a short time."

Physioprescription.com

"The general recovery time for a grade 1 and 2 sprain is 2-6 weeks"

physioroom.com:

"In the case of a first degree sprain, sporting activities should not be undertaken for about 3 weeks."

fansided.com:

"The usual recovery time for a sprained MCL is 3-6 weeks"

livestrong.com:

"Grade I sprains are the least severe and can be fully healed in four to six weeks."

bdreason
04-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Curry is just a 3-pointer chucker who couldn't even play in the 90's... so why does his recovery time even matter? :confusedshrug:

retaxis
04-25-2016, 05:24 PM
It depends on the severity of the sprain as every injury is different. Steph also has some other nagging injuries to the ankles as well.

Even if he comes back say in game 3/4 second round. He will be playing at most 50% due to nagging injuries, pain and being rusty. He might not be back to prime shape until the finals at least (If he even makes it there). GSW is such a fine oiled machine that a Curry below 80% is going to be damaging to what they are doing and he might find himself benched for livingston.

3ball
04-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Curry is just a 3-pointer chucker who couldn't even play in the 90's... so why does his recovery time even matter? :confusedshrug:
All teams chuck 3-pointers nowadays - but Curry and his fellow backcourt mate are the best at it, which is why the Warriors are/were the best.

They'll crush the Clippers in 6 games without Curry btw.

LoneyROY7
04-25-2016, 05:26 PM
All teams chuck 3-pointers nowadays - but Curry and his fellow backcourt mate are the best at it, which is why the Warriors are/were the best.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

3ball
04-25-2016, 05:27 PM
It depends on the severity of the sprain as every injury is different. Steph also has some other nagging injuries to the ankles as well.

Even if he comes back say in game 3/4 second round. He will be playing at most 50% due to nagging injuries, pain and being rusty. He might not be back to prime shape until the finals at least (If he even makes it there). GSW is such a fine oiled machine that a Curry below 80% is going to be damaging to what they are doing and he might find himself benched for livingston.
I agree that Curry is done as an all-time caliber offensive player in these playoffs - that ship sailed with this injury.

When he comes back, he simply won't be the 100% Curry we saw all regular season.. But like I said - it won't matter much - they'll crush the Clips in 6 without him.. But I could see them losing in conference finals if Curry is less than 80% - if he's like, 50% or something.

Klay 3D
04-25-2016, 05:28 PM
There are plenty of sources saying a couple of weeks and up to 3+ weeks so Golden State reporting at least 2 weeks is overstating? Who cares

What a waste of time and thread space :roll:

Levity
04-25-2016, 05:29 PM
eh, knee sprains arent the worst thing in the world. a grade 1 sprain you can generally walk around without crutches and not an overly noticeable limp. but its VERY EASY to re-injure the knee. so even thinking about playing basketball (constant cuts, change of direction, jumping) and you can easily set yourself back another handful of weeks. so his recovery time, like with his ankle injuries, is more precautionary than anything else

m. gasol had a grade 2 sprain last year (?) and missed 8 or so weeks. same with rudy gobert this season

3ball
04-25-2016, 05:31 PM
eh, knee sprains arent the worst thing in the world. a grade 1 sprain you can generally walk around without crutches and not an overly noticeable limp. but its VERY EASY to re-injure the knee. so even thinking about playing basketball (constant cuts, change of direction, jumping) and you can easily set yourself back another handful of weeks. so his recovery time, like with his ankle injuries, is more precautionary than anything else

m. gasol had a grade 2 sprain last year (?) and missed 8 or so weeks. same with rudy gobert this season
good info

you're right - part of the recovery time is precautionary time, because risk of re-injury is so high with this type of thing

which is why he won't be anywhere near 100% when he comes back

Da_Realist
04-25-2016, 06:00 PM

True. The Clippers don't know how to win.

Lebron23
04-25-2016, 06:01 PM
True. The Clippers don't know how to win.

How much money do you have?

r15mohd
04-25-2016, 06:03 PM
Physioprescription.com
"The general recovery time for a grade 1 and 2 sprain is 2-6 weeks"

physioroom.com:
"In the case of a first degree sprain, sporting activities should not be undertaken for about 3 weeks."

i'd be more reliant on these references than the others, as they help through all stages of rehab back to their work habits.

we can at least expect 2 weeks, minimum, and he'll still not be 100%, so expect a 3rd week added to that for precautionary means. only way he comes back after 2 weeks is if GSW is down 0-2 to the Clips, and they take the risk of playing him as they did with the ankle, at less than 90%.

Smoke117
04-25-2016, 06:06 PM

Never going to happen...but nice damage control to try and show how little Curry is worth. :rolleyes:

JohnMax
04-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Dr. Mark Adickes, ESPN medical correspondent, just confirmed what 3ball said.

Da_Realist
04-25-2016, 06:12 PM
How much money do you have?

I don't bet but I sincerely believe the Warriors without Curry would beat the Clippers and would give SA more trouble than you think. Because they play as a TEAM, they are greatly motivated not to drop the ball after winning 73 games and they'd have no pressure because no one would think they can win. And let's not forget the Warriors are defending champions.

And the Clippers don't know how to win.

StephHamann
04-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Lebran

Goldrush25
04-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Is there any precedent for a star player sustaining a major injury in the midst of a playoff run and coming back to win the championship? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Well Warriors fans can take solace in the fact that their team will have the best argument for GOAT if they can still win the championship after all of this.