warriorfan
05-01-2016, 12:10 AM
what the fucc are you talking about :facepalm

navy
05-01-2016, 12:13 AM
Michael Jordan?

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 12:13 AM
I been saying this MY DUDE. Floor Pippen, ceiling Jordan. Never doubt.

:pimp:

AirBonner
05-01-2016, 12:17 AM
what the fucc are you talking about :facepalm
you are a curry fan you only understand half of the game (offense)

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 12:24 AM

Get 'em.

:oldlol:

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Kawhi = Scottie Pippen without the playmaking ability.

Nick Young
05-01-2016, 12:33 AM
As long as he doesn't get any major injuries he certainly has that potential.

LilEddyCurry
05-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Kawhi Leonard = Scottie Pippen

Nick Young
05-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Awful comparison. Kawhi is a knockdown shooter and clutch as hell, and also a better decision maker.

In contrast, Pippen was famously unclutch and wasn't a knockdown shooter.

Spurs m8
05-01-2016, 12:35 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

AirBonner
05-01-2016, 12:36 AM

https://youtu.be/aWQ5pDQ1wOM

https://youtu.be/uCY2iSFTUxM

https://youtu.be/fI2cERKf5So

anyone can say a statement without facts bruh :facepalm

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 12:42 AM
https://youtu.be/aWQ5pDQ1wOM

https://youtu.be/uCY2iSFTUxM

https://youtu.be/fI2cERKf5So

anyone can say a statement without facts bruh :facepalm

Sick random bounce passes bruh. Kawhi Leonard's career high APG is 2.6

Pip was still averaging 6 APG at 36 years old.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 12:44 AM

Leonard is not the primary facilitator like Pippen was on those teams. He's also a GOAT tier shooter so far comparable to Jordan and Bird in that regard. Clutch af, too. Bad comparison.

:facepalm

AirBonner
05-01-2016, 12:46 AM

They didn't have a competent pg like Tony Parker :facepalm

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 12:46 AM
Leonard is not the primary facilitator like Pippen was on those teams. He's also a GOAT tier shooter so far comparable to Jordan and Bird in that regard. Clutch af, too. Bad comparison.

:facepalm

:lol

He's a GOAT tier shooter in the same way Bruce Bowen was.

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 12:50 AM
They didn't have a competent pg like Tony Parker :facepalm

Pip played alongside Dame Stoudemire on Portland when he was putting up 6 APG at age 36. F*ck you talkin bout? :biggums:

Stoudemire in '02: 6.5 APG
Pippen in '02 (36 years old): 5.9 APG

Parker in '16: 5.3 APG
Kawhi in '16: 2.6 APG

Pippen was by far the better passer/playmaker. BY FAR.

AirBonner
05-01-2016, 12:54 AM
Pip played alongside Dame Stoudemire on Portland when he was putting up 6 APG at age 36. F*ck you talkin bout? :biggums:

everyone on the Spurs is a competent passer. your entire pointless argument is hanging on this useless stat :facepalm

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 12:55 AM

Comparing Leonard to Bruce Bowen.

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Leonard is a career 50/39/83 guy while Bowen is a career 41/39/57 guy. Leonard shoots 54% so far on 2P's while Bowen shot 42%. Leonard is one of the best shooters (both mid range and from outside) in the league. All this while taking literally twice as many attempts means he's far and away the better shooter. Your statement belongs in the dumbest things said on ISH thread.

:coleman:

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 12:58 AM
everyone on the Spurs is a competent passer. your entire pointless argument is hanging on this useless stat :facepalm

Every player on the Bulls was a competent passer too (The 90s Bulls averaged more APG than today's Spurs). Pip led the team in APG and was the main facilitator and playmaker then.

No matter how you look at it, Kawhi is nowhere near Pip's league as a passer and playmaker.

You'd have to be smoking some high grade PCP to argue otherwise.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 01:01 AM

This would be a decent argument if Leonard was even the secondary play-maker and if SA wasn't filled with good passers/play-makers/facilitators. You got Parker, Manu, Diaw, Mills, Timmy, etc. C'mon, man. You're really grasping at straws here.

I will concede that Pippen is a better play-maker since the offense was run through him, but to say the reason is because he has higher assists is asinine and wreaks of boxscore watching. I'm sure Leonard would have more assists as well if he was the primary play-maker.

And it's not like you can even look at his TO rate and say he would be shitty because he averages only 1.2 TO's for his career. So yeah, while his TO's would obviously increase, it's not like they are high in the first place.

AirBonner
05-01-2016, 01:01 AM
Every player on the Bulls was a competent passer too (The 90s Bulls averaged more APG than today's Spurs). Pip led the team in APG and was the main facilitator and playmaker then.

No matter how you look at it, Kawhi is nowhere near Pip's league as a passer and playmaker.

pip is no better than Ron Harper. Ask 3ball

GrapeApe
05-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Where did the "Pippen isn't clutch" stuff come from? The guy won 6 titles. I know he played with the GOAT, but Pippen made numerous clutch plays on both ends during each 3-peat.

As far as Leonard being the greatest 2-way player ever, he has a LONG way to go before even being near that discussion.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 01:04 AM

Can't be proven one way or the other, honestly. Unless Leonard is asked to be the primary facilitator, we will never truly know how good he can be there. Like I said, it's fine to assume Pippen is better there since he's proven in that area, I just don't see how you can say he's 'no where near' without ever actually seeing him in that role.

:confusedshrug:

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 01:06 AM
Where did the "Pippen isn't clutch" stuff come from? The guy won 6 titles. I know he played with the GOAT, but Pippen made numerous clutch plays on both ends during each 3-peat.

As far as Leonard being the greatest 2-way player ever, he has a LONG way to go before even being near that discussion.

Already one of only a few perimeter players to win DPOY and did it twice... in a row. He has a long career ahead of him, but barring injury, he's on the right course.

3ball
05-01-2016, 01:09 AM
It's funny how Kawhi is a top 3-4 player for SURE in today's game.

Meanwhile, Pippen was better in every way except 3-point shooting, but was only considered a top 5 player for 1 or 2 seasons of his career, and that's looking at his career under the very best light.

That's how much better the players were in previous eras.

Nick Young
05-01-2016, 01:09 AM

Dumb. Stats don't matter with the Spurs. Kawhi could easily average 6+ APG if he was on a team like OKC with no system and told he has free reign to do whatever he wants.

3ball
05-01-2016, 01:10 AM
Dumb. Stats don't matter with the Spurs. Kawhi could easily average 6+ APG if he was on a team like OKC with no system and told he has free reign to do whatever he wants.

Meanwhile, Pippen was better in every way except 3-point shooting, but was only considered a top 5 player for 1 or 2 seasons of his career, and that's looking at his career under the very best light.

rmt
05-01-2016, 01:13 AM

I respectfully disagree. Danny Green is a terrible passer and should only try the simplest of passes. He threw one to Leonard tonight that if not for KL's huge hands would have sailed into the stands.

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Can't be proven one way or the other, honestly.

Yes it can. Stats and eye test.

Unless Leonard is asked to be the primary facilitator, we will never truly know how good he can be there.

Yeah, he won't be asked because he doesn't have the requisite skill set. Pip was a level below LeBron/Bird in terms of passing and playmaking at the SF and Kawhi is several levels below him.

Like I said, it's fine to assume Pippen is better there since he's proven in that area, I just don't see how you can say he's 'no where near' without ever actually seeing him in that role.

Again, he won't be in that role because he can't play that role. You can rattle off a bunch of SFs playing right now who outclass the Claw in that regard. Bron obviously, Draymond (even though technically a 'PF'), KD,PG13, Giannis, etc

AirBonner
05-01-2016, 01:19 AM

Pippen career 2 point shooting percent: .507
Kawhi career 2 point shooting percent: .540

Not only is Kawhi a better 3 point shooter he is also a better 2 point shooter. Kawhi has also defended the opposing teams best player far better than Pippen could dream of.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 01:26 AM
Yes it can. Stats and eye test.

Stats don't paint the whole picture and Leonard hasn't been asked to be the main facilitator like Pippen was on those teams. I agree, if Leonard is ever the main play-maker, we can draw a valid conclusion here.

Yeah, he won't be asked because he doesn't have the requisite skill set. Pip was a level below LeBron/Bird in terms of passing and playmaking at the SF and Kawhi is several levels below him.

That's not why and you know it. We already have plenty of good facilitators, why ask him to do even more than he's doing now? That doesn't fall in line with Pop's culture. We're all about spreading responsibilities, not one guy doing everything.

Several levels below him? I'm sorry, but we just don't know that yet. Like I said, if you wanted to amp up his TO's for him being the main play-maker, you could do that. I'm not sure on the conversion rate, but I'm fairly confident he could get up to about 5 at least on no more than 2 or so TO's. Not too much of a stretch I don't think?

Again, he won't be in that role because he can't play that role. You can rattle off a bunch of SFs playing right now who outclass the Claw in that regard. Bron obviously, Draymond (even though technically a 'PF'), KD,PG13, Giannis, etc

That's not why. Stop it. Why have him play that role when we have a 4x champion in Parker being paid 15 mil to do it? Doesn't make any sense. It also makes no sense to have one of our best 2-way players and #1 option taking on even more of a load. Pop/Spurs' culture isn't about being too dependent on any one guy, so even if he was capable of it, it wouldn't make any sense to have him take on that additional burden from the team's perspective.

All those guys you named are asked to do that. Like I said, if Leonard was asked to I'm sure he could do a decent job of it. Not saying he would be as good as Pippen, but he wouldn't be as bad as you're making it out. He doesn't turn the ball over much and is a smart decision maker.

Who knows? Maybe in the off season he works on that part of his game and he slowly ingrains himself more into the play-making side of things as Parker takes another step back. In the end, he's still only 24 and the sky really is the limit here. Still a few more years before we see absolute peak Leonard.

3ball
05-01-2016, 01:28 AM
Pippen career 2 point shooting percent: .507
Kawhi career 2 point shooting percent: .540

Not only is Kawhi a better 3 point shooter he is also a better 2 point shooter. Kawhi has also defended the opposing teams best player far better than Pippen could dream of.
This is only Kawhi's 2nd season above 12 ppg, so efficiency isn't a fair argument.

Overall, Kawhi < Pippen, yet his league-wide ranking is still higher, because today's players are worse overall.

AirBonner
05-01-2016, 01:32 AM
This is only Kawhi's 2nd season above 12 ppg, so efficiency isn't a fair argument.

Overall, Kawhi < Pippen, yet his league-wide ranking is still higher, because today's players are worse overall.
So the king of stats says stats isn't a fair argument :no: They are the best ways to compare players across generations. Kawhi is only 24 and still improving and he is already better than Pippen.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 01:32 AM

Aren't you the one always saying Jordan made Pippen and he's garbage? Now all of a sudden he's a top 5 player of his era, etc. I thought you said Jordan defended the best player on the opposing team most of the time like Magic in the '91 finals? Wouldn't Kawhi have to undertake that role for the Spurs? And don't you always go in on Pip being a 0-time DPOY to Jordan's lone DPOY win? How do they stack up against Leonard, a heralded 2-time DPOY? Leonard is also clearly a better shooter than Pippen from everywhere on the floor, especially from 3P range and the line where he really wallops him.

3ball
05-01-2016, 01:33 AM
Assist Percentage 1991-1993 Playoffs:

Jordan: 31.1%
Pippen: 23.3%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html#1991-1993-sum:playoffs_advanced
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html#1991-1993-sum:playoffs_advanced

Assist Percentage 1996-1998 Playoffs:

Jordan: 22.3%
Pippen: 22.0%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html#1996-1998-sum:playoffs_advanced
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html#1996-1998-sum:playoffs_advanced

Pippen was the main facilitator on those teams

Why do you guys keep saying Pippen was the "main" facilitator when he assisted on a LOWER proportion of field goals than Jordan during both 3-peats (shown above)?

How can Pippen be the "main" facilitator when he's assisting on lower proportion of field goals than Jordan?... :biggums:

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 01:36 AM
Stats don't paint the whole picture and Leonard hasn't been asked to be the main facilitator like Pippen was on those teams. I agree, if Leonard is ever the main play-maker, we can draw a valid conclusion here.

AGAIN, of course he hasn't been asked to play that role... Because he doesn't have the skill set. He has as much chance of being asked to be a team's main facilitator as Deng does on the Heat.

Saying let's wait to see Kawhi Leonard be the Spurs main playmaker is like saying let's not say Curry is a better 3-pt shooter than Boogie Cousins until Boogie is asked to shoot 11 3s per game.

It's just not going to happen.

Parker, Ginobli, Diaw>>>Kawhi as playmakers on his own squad.

Old Man Duncan averaged more assists than the Claw for ****sake. :oldlol:

That's not why and you know it. We already have plenty of good facilitators, why ask him to do even more than he's doing now? That doesn't fall in line with Pop's culture. We're all about spreading responsibilities, not one guy doing everything.

OK.

Several levels below him? I'm sorry, but we just don't know that yet. Like I said, if you wanted to amp up his TO's for him being the main play-maker, you could do that. I'm not sure on the conversion rate, but I'm fairly confident he could get up to about 5 at least on no more than 2 or so TO's. Not too much of a stretch I don't think?

Tim Duncan at 40 years old gets more APG than Kawhi on the same squad, dawg.

That's not why. Stop it. Why have him play that role when we have a 4x champion in Parker being paid 15 mil to do it? Doesn't make any sense. It also makes no sense to have one of our best 2-way players and #1 option taking on even more of a load. Pop/Spurs' culture isn't about being too dependent on any one guy, so even if he was capable of it, it wouldn't make any sense to have him take on that additional burden from the team's perspective.

All those guys you named are asked to do that. Like I said, if Leonard was asked to I'm sure he could do a decent job of it. Not saying he would be as good as Pippen, but he wouldn't be as bad as you're making it out. He doesn't turn the ball over much and is a smart decision maker.

Who knows? Maybe in the off season he works on that part of his game and he slowly ingrains himself more into the play-making side of things as Parker takes another step back. In the end, he's still only 24 and the sky really is the limit here. Still a few more years before we see absolute peak Leonard.

Same nonsense as the paragraphs I already touched on.

Parker, Ginobli, and Diaw would/have been asked to be facilitators before Kawhi for a reason. They are better at that role.

Pippen>>>>>Kawhi as a playmaker/passer. No one with even a rudimentary understanding of the professional game and its History would attempt to argue that with a straight face.

GrapeApe
05-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Already one of only a few perimeter players to win DPOY and did it twice... in a row. He has a long career ahead of him, but barring injury, he's on the right course.

He's on track to have a fine career, no question, but predicting him to be the greatest 2-way player ever is basically predicting him to be in the discussion for GOAT, or at worst top 10 all-time. Jordan is considered by many to be the greatest 2-way player ever. You also have guys like Kareem, Duncan, Hakeem, and even Lebron. Then there's slightly lower tier guys like D-Rob, Garnett, and Pippen, all who were outstanding on both ends. Leonard would have to pass nearly all of those players.

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 01:46 AM
He's on track to have a fine career, no question, but predicting him to be the greatest 2-way player ever is basically predicting him to be in the discussion for GOAT, or at worst top 10 all-time. Jordan is considered by many to be the greatest 2-way player ever. You also have guys like Kareem, Duncan, Hakeem, and even Lebron. Then there's slightly lower tier guys like D-Rob, Garnett, and Pippen, all who were outstanding on both ends. Leonard would have to pass nearly all of those players.

Yeah, Kawhi won't even be the best 2 way player in Spurs History.

Just more prisoner of the moment shit. Last week Curry was the GOAT.

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 01:54 AM

Leonard led a team to 67 wins, Pip lead one to 55 wins.

Also, I know from your LeBron arguments that you like to go by players the same age.

Leonard is 24 this season, when Pippen was 24 he averaged:
16.5/6.7/5.4/2.6/1.2 on 49/25/67 with 3.4 TO and on 14 FGA in 38.4 MP.

Leonard at 24 this season:
21.2/6.8/2.6/1.8/1.0 on 50/44/87 with 1.5 TO and on 15 FGA in 33.1 MP.

Basically, Leonard averages almost an entire 5 more points on only 1 more shot in over 5 less minutes on better shooting across the board with more boards to boot. Pippen had more assists, but on more than double the turnovers.

Leonard also takes 4 3PA per game while Pip took 1.4 and shot far worse (like Jordan) compared to him.

Pippen at 24 Advanced:
ORtg - 103
DRtg - 105
W/48 - .087
BPM - 2.6
VORP - 3.6

Leonard at 24 Advanced:
ORtg - 121
DRtg - 96
W/48 - .277
BPM - 8.3
VORP - 6.2

3ball
05-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Pippen at 24 Advanced:
ORtg - 103
DRtg - 105
W/48 - .087
BPM - 2.6
VORP - 3.6

Leonard at 24 Advanced:
ORtg - 121
DRtg - 96
W/48 - .277
BPM - 8.3
VORP - 6.2

Kawhi at 24 years old > Pippen at 24.

But my point was that Pippen's best seasons are equal or > than Kawhi's current season, but Pippen was never rated as high as Kawhi is now... because his peers were superior players obviously.. Kawhi < Hakeem, Shaq, Karl Malone, and David Robinson just like Pippen was in 1995.. And probably worse than Ewing, Barkley and Alonzo too.

But yeah, 24 year old Kawhi > 24 year old Pippen.. Certainly, Kawhi wouldn't choke in Game 7 of ECF and cost the Bulls their first championship like Pippen did (2 points on 1-10).. Those Bulls would've beaten the Blazers in the Finals, since the Pistons destroyed the Blazers in 5 easy games, but needed 7 tough games and Pippen's choke to beat the Bulls.

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 02:15 AM
Robinson at his peak- 30 PPG/11 RPG/ 5 APG/ 3 BPG/2 SPG
MVP/DPOY caliber 62 wins in the RS
From '89-'96: 26 PPG (53% FG)/ 12 RPG/ 3 APG/ 4 BPG/ 2 SPG (League MVP, DPOY)

Someone (sober) make a case that what Kawhi is doing this season is greater than that. :confusedshrug:

Spurs5Rings2014
05-01-2016, 02:21 AM
Robinson at his peak- 30 PPG/11 RPG/ 5 APG/ 3 BPG/2 SPG
MVP/DPOY caliber 62 wins in the RS
From '89-'96: 26 PPG (53% FG)/ 12 RPG/ 3 APG/ 4 BPG/ 2 SPG (League MVP, DPOY)

Someone (sober) make a case that what Kawhi is doing this season is greater than that. :confusedshrug:

Leonard isn't at his peak yet.

:wtf:

Why would you compare a 28 year old absolute PEAK Robinson with a 24 year old pre-peak, still improving Leonard?

:biggums:

CelticBaller
05-01-2016, 02:24 AM
Pippen played with one of the biggest ball hogs in the game and still averaged more than kahwi

You're a fool

DonDadda59
05-01-2016, 02:28 AM
Leonard isn't at his peak yet.

:wtf:

Why would you compare a 28 year old absolute PEAK Robinson with a 24 year old pre-peak, still improving Leonard?

:biggums:

Because of this thread. I'm told he will be the best 2-way player ever, league wide, of all time. I'm asking someone to tell me why I should believe that considering he doesn't look to be the best 2 way Spurs player ever.

And compare 24 year old rookie Robinson to 24 year old Kawhi if that makes you feel better. D-Rob was drafted by a 21 win team. His rookie year they won 56 games and went to game 7 against the eventual West champions Portland.

Might as well compare him to a 24 year old Duncan too.

I swear you people have the attention spans of fruit flies. Absolute prisoners of the moment. :lol

3ball
05-01-2016, 02:31 AM
Any GM would take Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, or Karl Malone over Kawhi in 1995.

And Alonzo's 22/11 with 3 blocks probably provides more offensive and defensive impact than Kawhi too... Ditto Ewing..

Oh, and I forgot about Jordan.

So Kawhi wouldn't be a top 5 player in the 90's like he is now.

Smoke117
05-01-2016, 08:15 AM
LMFAO...could spurs5rings be any more full of shit? We don't know who is the better passer/playmaker between Pippen and Kawhi because they have different roles...you are given a role by your skillset you imbecile...there's a reason why Leonard doesn't run an offense like Scottie did...he can't. Pip was a legit PG in that 6'7" body frame...which makes sense as he was only 6'1" when he started college and had been playing the pg role. Kawhi simply isn't even a good enough ball handler to be a great playmaker.

Dr Hawk
05-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Any GM would take Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, or Karl Malone over Kawhi in 1995.

And Alonzo's 22/11 with 3 blocks probably provides more offensive and defensive impact than Kawhi too... Ditto Ewing..

Oh, and I forgot about Jordan.

So Kawhi wouldn't be a top 5 player in the 90's like he is now.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

tpols
05-01-2016, 09:04 AM

I actually agree with this .. I saw Leonard make a sick bounce pass to parker through traffic in the first quarter. Tony didnt go up with the shot, he pulled it out, but it showed Kawhi's vision and skill to be able to thread a pass like that.

I think Kawhi could morph himself into whatever he wants tbh. Heres a guy who shot 70% FTs who is now closer to 90% now and takes FTs for T's on the spurs .. one of the best shooting teams ever. If he can improve like that, he can improve anywhere.

It's just not going to happen.

Parker, Ginobli, Diaw>>>Kawhi as playmakers on his own squad.

Old Man Duncan averaged more assists than the Claw for ****sake. :oldlol:

it wouldnt make sense for pop to relieve those guys of their passing duties when its their greatest strengths. That would take away from the team tremendously. Even if, hypothetically, Kawhi had bron's ballhandling and passing / vision, and was tasked with extra handling and passing duties, that would be very bad for the spurs as a whole to let him operate that way. You never give one man all the control .. unless your a supporter of harden westbrick ball.

The problem is you 90s guys had to watch scottie and jordan do everything offensively.. because a lot of the players outside them were stiffs. One dimensional players, rebounders, defenders etc. The spurs have defense, rebounding, passing at every position so it doesnt make sense to run things through a few guys. Everybody contributes in their case, which is why they are on another tier as a team. Theyre like a reincarnation of the 86 Celtics that whooped MJ's ass.

rmt
05-01-2016, 09:23 AM
As far as playmaking is concerned, why not? Duncan, Parker, Manu and Diaw aren't always going to be around. Keep improving the ball handling and passing - no sense in restricting him.

Danny Green should practice too - I cringe when he makes anything but the simplest of passes.