PDA

View Full Version : How comes Kobe is a synonym for a bad shooting game but his career FG%

tragicbronson
05-05-2016, 01:19 AM
is better than the FG% of players such as Paul Pierce, Tracy Mcgrady, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter? I know Kobe is clearly a better player than these guys but still they are all perennial all stars, is it that people just need to find something to hate in all-time greats. What's the cause that Kobe has got that kind of reputation even though he's clearly solid in that regard, players such as Ray Allen, Penny Hardaway, Richard Hamilton has similar career FG% to Kobe but you would never think of them as an example of bad fg%. It's not that i am mad, but the opposite, i think that this proves how big Kobe is since people point out something as his worst side to make fun of but in reality that's just a myth.

Mamba out

Round Mound
05-05-2016, 03:07 AM
Career 44.8% FG is not great by any standards. Those other players you mention are simple worst scorers than Kobe.

Lebron23
05-05-2016, 03:17 AM
Career 44.8% FG is not great by any standards. Those other players you mention are simple worst scorers than Kobe.

This

/End Thread

fiddy
05-05-2016, 03:23 AM
This

/End Thread
5>2 stay salty

Prime_Shaq
05-05-2016, 03:24 AM
Because Kobe could've always had a better FG% had he just taken better shots

Chokefree
05-05-2016, 03:25 AM
is better than the FG% of players such as Paul Pierce, Tracy Mcgrady, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter? I know Kobe is clearly a better player than these guys but still they are all perennial all stars, is it that people just need to find something to hate in all-time greats. What's the cause that Kobe has got that kind of reputation even though he's clearly solid in that regard, players such as Ray Allen, Penny Hardaway, Richard Hamilton has similar career FG% to Kobe but you would never think of them as an example of bad fg%. It's not that i am mad, but the opposite, i think that this proves how big Kobe is since people point out something as his worst side to make fun of but in reality that's just a myth.

Mamba out
hes retired....get over it kid

Round Mound
05-05-2016, 03:34 AM

He should have a better inside and mid range game like MJ had. MJ was close to 50% and shot more. Then again MJ was stronger, more physical, faster, quicker etc more difficult to defend.

Atlantis
05-05-2016, 03:36 AM

True. I take a player's free throw percentage as a litmus test for their shooting potential. Generally speaking, there's a good correlation between a player's free throw percentage and their shooting ability. I.e. curry, nowitzski, and allen.

Kobe always shot around 85%, which indicates he's at the very least an above average shooter. He's not elite but he's very good. That's proof to me that he would've had a better fg if he took better shots.

ImKobe
05-05-2016, 05:07 AM
age 20-34, he averaged 27.4/5.7/5.1 on 45.5% shooting/55.6%TS

His career FG% is "that low" because for one, he entered the league straight out of HS and played past the achilles injury when he should have retired...

league average FG% vs Kobe
........NBA.....vs....Kobe
2000: .437 vs .465
2001: .443 vs .464
2002: .445 vs .469
2003: .442 vs .451
2004: .439 vs .438
2005: .447 vs .433
2006: .454 vs .450
2007: .458 vs .463
2008: .457 vs .459
2009: .459 vs .467
2010: .461 vs .456
2011: .459 vs .451
2012: .448 vs .430
2013: .453 vs .463

he had more years shooting above league average than below..you compare the TS% numbers and he's 2-3% better every year.

and league averages during his career were lower than those in the 80s/90s... so his FG% compared to the league average is close to MJ's, though MJ had better efficiency, obviously.

teams in the late 80s-mid 90s were shooting 47-48% and didn't drop until the NBA first introduced a shortened 3pt line and that led to teams shooting more 3s, which led to more jump shooting, for example: teams prior to the shortened line were taking 700-800 3s a season in the early 90s and the number increased by 400 attempts the first season, when they moved the line back the 3pt attempts still stayed above 1000 and the number has been going up ever since.

What do you conclude from that? Kobe takes more jumpers than your average star player, his shooting mentality doesn't always lead to the most efficient shot, hence him shooting a lower percentage than let's say Lebron James or Dwyane Wade... yet Kobe by the numbers is one of the best mid-range shooters of all-time behind Dirk, MJ and CP3, with more volume to boot. Jordan didn't shoot that many threes/long range shots, hence the higher FG%. Jordan still managed to get the same or even higher volume when it came to shot attempts, but his superior athleticism allowed him to get easier looks at the basket while Kobe settled with contested long-range shots.

So he wasn't an "inefficient chucker" by any means...he was a great mid-range shooter who attempted way too many shots beyond 20 feet, he tried to become a great 3pt shooter but it just never clicked for him...he could have had a much higher career FG%, but that wasn't possible because over 80% of his shot attempts were jump shots, and he shot in the low-mid 40s on those shots, even at his peak (2006), 85% of his shots were jump shots, he attempted more 3s than layups/dunks.

ScalsFan21
05-05-2016, 05:15 AM

Mamba out

I can't tell if you're actually a Kobe fan or if this is an elaborate troll designed to make Kobe look bad by putting his name in the same breath as all these guys, almost all of whom are outside of the top 50 all-time. And if that's the case, nice touch including Hamilton on the list. :lol

Kobe is a way better player than every single guy you just named, regardless of whether or not peak T-Mac may have reached a higher level briefly in the early 2000s. In the event that you're actually be serious with this thread: Kobe has haters because he's an all-time great player. Most of these guys only fringe ATG, if that. So Kobe is way higher profile and therefore haters will hate on him more than a Rip Hamilton type. It just is what it is.

ImKobe
05-05-2016, 05:23 AM
I can't tell if you're actually a Kobe fan or if this is an elaborate troll designed to make Kobe look bad by putting his name in the same breath as all these guys, almost all of whom are outside of the top 50 all-time. And if that's the case, nice touch including Hamilton on the list. :lol

Kobe is a way better player than every single guy you just named, regardless of whether or not peak T-Mac may have reached a higher level briefly in the early 2000s. In the event that you're actually be serious with this thread: Kobe has haters because he's an all-time great player. Most of these guys only fringe ATG, if that. So Kobe is way higher profile and therefore haters will hate on him more than a Rip Hamilton type. It just is what it is.

I think he mentioned the guys to showcase that he was a more efficient scorer than most of the other "great" shooting guards in his era, yet he is the one being "mocked" for "only" shooting ~45% for his regular season career.

tragicbronson
05-05-2016, 06:51 AM
I think he mentioned the guys to showcase that he was a more efficient scorer than most of the other "great" shooting guards in his era, yet he is the one being "mocked" for "only" shooting ~45% for his regular season career.

Exactly, when someone's having a bad shooting game people say, and not only on this board, but it's like a common phrase for showcasing that, that he "activated his inner Kobe" or "Imitating Kobe" or basically whenever someone shot badly people would compare it to Kobe while it's obvious he's not really bad in that regard. And as you said, he actually has a better or similar fg% to the great shooting guards from his era.

You never hear people saying after for example 5/18 shooting night "wow, that was iverson like" or "That's TMac's regular game" but it would be something with Kobe involved

toprange
05-05-2016, 07:28 AM

Mamba out
Because since lebron became the face of the nba, the humongous fan base that support lebron have been forced to make stats the main purpose of the game. Lebron colluding didn't help the cause either because they knew his championships wouldn't count so they continue to to focus primarily on the stats

ImKobe
05-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Exactly, when someone's having a bad shooting game people say, and not only on this board, but it's like a common phrase for showcasing that, that he "activated his inner Kobe" or "Imitating Kobe" or basically whenever someone shot badly people would compare it to Kobe while it's obvious he's not really bad in that regard. And as you said, he actually has a better or similar fg% to the great shooting guards from his era.

You never hear people saying after for example 5/18 shooting night "wow, that was iverson like" or "That's TMac's regular game" but it would be something with Kobe involved

I guess it's all the haters have to use against him since you can't mock his 5 titles.

Im Still Ballin
05-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Because his fans like to compare him to the greats like Shaq, MJ, Wilt, Lebron, Magic, Bird, Russell, KAJ, Duncan

He's more in line with the Wades, Garnetts, Dr J's, Moses Malones, Jerry Wests

Psileas
05-05-2016, 08:08 AM
He's not a synonym for a bad shooting game, he's a synonym for chucking shots, regardless of whether he was on a good day or not.
Among players with 10+ career 40 point games, Kobe has one of the lowest percentages of such games in which he has shot more than 50% FG. Same with Iverson. Other great scorers weren't going at such lengths to get their 40+ points.

toprange
05-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Because his fans like to compare him to the greats like Shaq, MJ, Wilt, Lebron, Magic, Bird, Russell, KAJ, Duncan

He's more in line with the Wades, Garnetts, Dr J's, Moses Malones, Jerry Wests

You guys remember that sesame street song "one of these things is not like the other". Perfect example to use:
(Shaq, MJ, Wilt, Lebron, Magic, Bird, Russell, KAJ, Duncan)
:roll: :roll:
That song always comes to mind when I see lebron in that list

aj1987
05-05-2016, 08:48 AM

Why are you comparing his FG% to the league average? Do you think Kobe's not an elite player? Compare it to the elite players.

JohnnySic
05-05-2016, 08:54 AM
45% is just fine for a guard.

stalkerforlife
05-05-2016, 09:31 AM
age 20-34, he averaged 27.4/5.7/5.1 on 45.5% shooting/55.6%TS

His career FG% is "that low" because for one, he entered the league straight out of HS and played past the achilles injury when he should have retired...

........NBA.....vs....Kobe
2000: .437 vs .465
2001: .443 vs .464
2002: .445 vs .469
2003: .442 vs .451
2004: .439 vs .438
2005: .447 vs .433
2006: .454 vs .450
2007: .458 vs .463
2008: .457 vs .459
2009: .459 vs .467
2010: .461 vs .456
2011: .459 vs .451
2012: .448 vs .430
2013: .453 vs .463

he had more years shooting above league average than below..you compare the TS% numbers and he's 2-3% better every year.

and league averages during his career were lower than those in the 80s/90s... so his FG% compared to the league average is close to MJ's, though MJ had better efficiency, obviously.

teams in the late 80s-mid 90s were shooting 47-48% and didn't drop until the NBA first introduced a shortened 3pt line and that led to teams shooting more 3s, which led to more jump shooting, for example: teams prior to the shortened line were taking 700-800 3s a season in the early 90s and the number increased by 400 attempts the first season, when they moved the line back the 3pt attempts still stayed above 1000 and the number has been going up ever since.

What do you conclude from that? Kobe takes more jumpers than your average star player, his shooting mentality doesn't always lead to the most efficient shot, hence him shooting a lower percentage than let's say Lebron James or Dwyane Wade... yet Kobe by the numbers is one of the best mid-range shooters of all-time behind Dirk, MJ and CP3, with more volume to boot. Jordan didn't shoot that many threes/long range shots, hence the higher FG%. Jordan still managed to get the same or even higher volume when it came to shot attempts, but his superior athleticism allowed him to get easier looks at the basket while Kobe settled with contested long-range shots.

So he wasn't an "inefficient chucker" by any means...he was a great mid-range shooter who attempted way too many shots beyond 20 feet, he tried to become a great 3pt shooter but it just never clicked for him...he could have had a much higher career FG%, but that wasn't possible because over 80% of his shot attempts were jump shots, and he shot in the low-mid 40s on those shots, even at his peak (2006), 85% of his shots were jump shots, he attempted more 3s than layups/dunks.

Ether.

iamgine
05-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Because he takes bad, unnecessary shots, regardless of his FG%.

Bandito
05-05-2016, 10:06 AM
He should have a better inside and mid range game like MJ had. MJ was close to 50% and shot more. Then again MJ was stronger, more physical, faster, quicker etc more difficult to defend.
You just said why he wasn't better. MJ just had more physical talents than Kobe. Kobe just perfected his craft by a ton of practice over the years and his opponents biting the dust. And frankly if it wasn't because of the injury he would've have better %FG because the last two years were just horrible statswise.

warriorfan
05-05-2016, 03:35 PM
fact - people who obsess over FG% are small dicked stat nerds that dont know ball

HurricaneKid
05-05-2016, 03:38 PM
45% is just fine for a guard.

Since when was "fine" worthy of all time great status?

He is absolutely better than the guys listed by OP. But when you need to compare to guys outside the top 100 to find your peers you probably aren't a top 10 guy.

IllegalD
05-05-2016, 04:04 PM
fact - people who obsess over FG% are small dicked stat nerds that dont know ball

Not a coincidence that one of them is LeBron23. :applause:

riseagainst
05-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Not a coincidence that one of them is LeBron23. :applause:

:oldlol:

sammichoffate
05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Not a coincidence that one of them is LeBron23. :applause::lebronamazed:

Genaro
05-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Because he has a lot of haters and they have nothing else to hate on. The difference in shooting 45% or 50% it's just one shot if you shoot 20 shots per game. Kobe would a much better player if he average one more made shot per game? I don't think so.

Rooster
05-05-2016, 05:06 PM

Mamba out

45% FG is actually good especially with the way and how Kobe took a lot of ill advise shots and bail out shots at the end of the shot clock. The most important thing was he helped and led the Lakers to 5 rings and did it his way and also retired the Mamba way. 60 and out.

ImKobe
05-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Since when was "fine" worthy of all time great status?

He is absolutely better than the guys listed by OP. But when you need to compare to guys outside the top 100 to find your peers you probably aren't a top 10 guy.

~80% of his shots for his career were jumpers...he shot better than his superstar peers at the time, except for Wade and Lebron, who didn't shoot nearly as many jump shots and were worse FT shooters.. and he isn't an all-time great because of his efficiency, he's an all-time great because he had a legendary career with 5 title runs and countless big moments in the Playoffs, all All-NBA teams he made.

T-Mac, AI and VC are most definitely in the top 100 man...there aren't too many guards all-time who you could put above them when it comes to scoring. They were the superstars at the time in the league.

I don't see anyone having a problem with Dirk having a career 47.7%FG while being a 7-footer.

45% is not "bad" nor is it average considering the fact that the league average was lower than 45% for many years of his career, and that's with teams not shooting jump shots with the same kind of volume Kobe did individually.

Lebron23
05-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Low IQ Chucker.