PDA

View Full Version : 142nd running of the Kentucky Derby

UK2K
05-06-2016, 09:31 AM
I'm telling you all now, Whitmore at 20-1 is the sneaky play.

Whitmore's jockey is Victor Espinoza, the same Victor Espinoza who has won the last two Derby's, and won the Triple Crown last year.

Post time: 6:34 p.m. Saturday at Churchill Downs. Distance: 1 1/4 miles. Purse: $2 million. TV: NBC. Radio: Horse Racing Radio Network.

PP. Horse (weight) jockey/trainer odds

1. Trojan Nation (126) Gryder/Gallagher 50-1

2. Suddenbreakingnews (126) Quinonez/Von Hemel 20-1

3. Creator (126) Santana Jr./Asmussen 10-1

4. Mo Tom (126) Lanerie/Amoss 20-1

5. Gun Runner (126) Geroux/Asmussen 10-1

6. My Man Sam (126) Ortiz Jr./Brown 20-1

7. Oscar Nominated (126) Leparoux/Maker 50-1

8. Lani (126) Take/Matsunaga 30-1

9. Destin (126) Castellano/Pletcher 15-1

10. Whitmore (126) Espinoza/Moquett 20-1

11. Exaggerator (126) Desormeaux/Desormeaux 8-1

12. Tom's Ready (126) Hernandez Jr./Stewart 30-1

13. Nyquist (126) Gutierrez/O'Neill 3-1

14. Mohaymen (126) Alvarado/McLaughlin 10-1

15. Outwork (126) Velazquez/Pletcher 15-1

16. Shagaf (126) Rosario/Brown 20-1

17. Mor Spirit (126) Stevens/Baffert 12-1

18. Majesto (126) Jaramillo/Delgado 30-1

19. Brody's Cause (126) Saez/Romans 12-1

20. Danzing Candy (126) Smith/Sise 15-1

Thorpesaurous
05-06-2016, 09:58 AM
I bet on these three races every year. There's a scummy OTB that my buddy and I trek to every year. It's a great showing. All manner of regulars complaining, and then a large group of extras who show up like it's the prom. I remember a couple years ago we got to see a limo pull up with about four guys in suits and their girls done up with the hats and all. It's a great show if you're into people watching. I usually bet 100 bucks on a winner, then do a 20 trifecta box with a couple favorites and another longer shot. I have no idea about horses. We also get roped in to placing action for a bunch of other people. I usually read a couple things and then convince myself I'm gonna win. I've never won. I can't remember who I took last year, but I'm pretty sure he's just about to finish right about now. We suck down a couple beers, they seem to have the coldest beer in town there, usually run into a few people we haven't seen in a while, then head home to watch the race.

UK2K
05-06-2016, 10:05 AM
I bet on these three races every year. There's a scummy OTB that my buddy and I trek to every year. It's a great showing. All manner of regulars complaining, and then a large group of extras who show up like it's the prom. I remember a couple years ago we got to see a limo pull up with about four guys in suits and their girls done up with the hats and all. It's a great show if you're into people watching. I usually bet 100 bucks on a winner, then do a 20 trifecta box with a couple favorites and another longer shot. I have no idea about horses. We also get roped in to placing action for a bunch of other people. I usually read a couple things and then convince myself I'm gonna win. I've never won. I can't remember who I took last year, but I'm pretty sure he's just about to finish right about now. We suck down a couple beers, they seem to have the coldest beer in town there, usually run into a few people we haven't seen in a while, then head home to watch the race.

You should make the trip to Louisville for the Derby. It's one thing to watch it on TV, its something totally different to witness it in person.

All day event. Prices are outrageous, but we've gotten pretty good at sneaking bottles in inside fruit and what not. Plus, the infield is a wild party, with plenty to do between races.

Thorpesaurous
05-06-2016, 02:55 PM
I've got a buddy from California who asked me to meet him a couple years ago. His girlfriend is a huge equestrian, they even own a couple horses. They live in San Diego and I guess there's a big track down there that they go to pretty regularly.

The Belmont I know a ton of people who've gone, as I'm only a few hours away.

And honestly The Preekness isn't a terrible drive to Baltimore for me.

For whatever reason we've just never made it any of them.

Thorpesaurous
05-09-2016, 03:38 PM
I did not do well. I took Outwork to win, and an exacta box with Outwork and Whitmore. I'm pretty sure Whitmore is still out there.

I did put in a winning five dollar trifecta for my buddy's father in law. It paid out about 88 bucks per dollar. He also had Nyquist to win, which gave him ten bucks.
All told it was 450 bucks, which is good because it's just under the 600 they make you report. Not a huge payout for a trifecta, seeing as the top three were the three favorites.

The OTB was packed and fun again, which is good, because it really didn't feel like the season otherwise. It rained for eight straight days here up to then, and was unseasonably cold.

UK2K
05-09-2016, 03:43 PM
I did not do well. I took Outwork to win, and an exacta box with Outwork and Whitmore. I'm pretty sure Whitmore is still out there.

I did put in a winning five dollar trifecta for my buddy's father in law. It paid out about 88 bucks per dollar. He also had Nyquist to win, which gave him ten bucks.
All told it was 450 bucks, which is good because it's just under the 600 they make you report. Not a huge payout for a trifecta, seeing as the top three were the three favorites.

The OTB was packed and fun again, which is good, because it really didn't feel like the season otherwise. It rained for eight straight days here up to then, and was unseasonably cold.

I played a Nyquist-Exaggerator-Suddenbreakingnews trifecta box...

I was so, so close. :(

Attendance was 160k. I didn't make it down this year (moving) but my brother was there. Said he saw one of the Pats WR's tripping balls and making a fool of himself, can't remember who he said. But, for the Derby, that's fairly common.

Oh, yeah and I put money on Whitmore. Turns out, he was ass.