PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made a career change?

UK2K
05-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Debating it now. I like the new career, MP in the Marine Corps is the ultimate trump card in that field. But I love my job now. I make decent money, but that's secondary to enjoying my job.

However, the pay in the new career is about 30% higher than what I make now, and I think I can climb the ladder real quick because I'm smart, handsome, and a smooth talker. Plus, I know what the **** I'm talking about.

So anyone made the jump to a completely new career? My jump is a bit less extreme, I've only been doing Supply Chain for 2 years or so, but I'd be going back to loss prevention/investigations. Hours suck, lots of travel is cool I guess but I'm sure it'll get old.

Advice?

TommyGriffin
05-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Debating it now. I like the new career, MP in the Marine Corps is the ultimate trump card in that field. But I love my job now. I make decent money, but that's secondary to enjoying my job.

However, the pay in the new career is about 30% higher than what I make now, and I think I can climb the ladder real quick because I'm smart, handsome, and a smooth talker. Plus, I know what the **** I'm talking about.

So anyone made the jump to a completely new career? My jump is a bit less extreme, I've only been doing Supply Chain for 2 years or so, but I'd be going back to loss prevention/investigations. Hours suck, lots of travel is cool I guess but I'm sure it'll get old.

Advice?
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/55377472.jpg

hateraid
05-09-2016, 02:02 PM

Advice?

I didn't really make a career change since I'm in the same industry, but I went from working for retail to distribution. What I have known and observed while I was in the retail side is that distribution looked a lot more fun and engaging. I had the good fortunes of knowing the CEO of Dymatize and that being my go to brand I thought is was a great fit. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my job now. But it's different and a lot more detail oriented. Also problems don't go away, they are stuck with you to try and diffuse since I'm working with store owners and not customers.

What it comes down to is looking at the other side of the fence is a lot more different than moving next door. The grass isn't always greener, just cut a different way, but it all grows from the same shit. If you commit to making a career change try and work it where you minimize the risk. Leave your old job on the best of terms and see if you can have your chair warmed for you.

bdreason
05-09-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm currently changing my career in my mid-30's from a Residential/Commercial Real Estate Agent to a Photovoltaic Commissioner/Designer. It was scary at first, but now that I'm in the middle of the transition, it's actually given me a renewed passion for life.

GOBB
05-09-2016, 07:12 PM
I'm currently changing my career in my mid-30's from a Residential/Commercial Real Estate Agent to a Photovoltaic Commissioner/Designer. It was scary at first, but now that I'm in the middle of the transition, it's actually given me a renewed passion for life.

That's awesome. :cheers:

JohnnySic
05-09-2016, 07:21 PM
I lost my financial services job last year at age 40. I took a low level benefits administration job as a survival gig and parlayed that into a much more prestigious role at a new company.

ace23
05-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Bunch of old ****** in this thread

GOBB
05-09-2016, 07:45 PM
I lost my financial services job last year at age 40. I took a low level benefits administration job as a survival gig and parlayed that into a much more prestigious role at a new company.

:cheers:

IcanzIIravor
05-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Bunch of old ****** in this thread

Get off my lawn

knickballer
05-09-2016, 10:22 PM
OP, I remembered you said that you never went to college. Have you considered getting a degree in which that can provide value to your experience? You said something about supply chain but why not get a degree in business or w/e that may help you climb the latter faster.

And before you go on the college conspiracy rant there's alot of affordable state schools out there lol

enayes
05-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Yes, yes I have.