PDA

View Full Version : Curry, Brady, and Gretzky

Ca$H
05-11-2016, 10:20 AM
SportsCenter
@SportsCenter

Steph Curry joins Tom Brady & Wayne Gretzky as the only unanimous MVPs in their respective leagues.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiHNZTQUoAE9K1B.jpg

Cap'n Obvious
05-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Unanimous MVPs seem to be rare in those sports.

Sarcastic
05-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Gretzky's season >

PP34Deuce
05-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Gretzky's season >

Gretsky's got records that won't break in our life time. That man is MJ to hockey.

I look at his highlights and he was so ahead of his time with stick handling, moves, and leading an offense on ice.

riseagainst
05-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Gretsky's got records that won't break in our life time. That man is MJ to hockey.

I look at his highlights and he was so ahead of his time with stick handling, moves, and leading an offense on ice.

MJ's records have been broken left and right.

:oldlol:

Velocirap31
05-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Gretzky's season >

Yeah, his 3rd season in the league and he was 20-21 years old. 92 goals and 120 assists, 212 points. Unbelievable. That was his 2nd best season for points to.

For Comparison:

Patrick Kane led the league with 106 points this year.

Alexander Ovechkin led with 50 goals.

PP34Deuce
05-11-2016, 11:49 AM
MJ's records have been broken left and right.

:oldlol:

By MJ, I mean people look at every new good ISO scorer and compare them to Gretsky. He was doing stick moves, fakes, that players today can't even do as fundamentally sound. Patrick Kane is like the closest thing to Gretsky and he's far from it.

PP34Deuce
05-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Yeah, his 3rd season in the league and he was 20-21 years old. 92 goals and 120 assists, 212 points. Unbelievable. That was his 2nd best season for points to.

For Comparison:

Kane is the closest to Gretsky we have seen. While defenses are bigger, I still got Gretsky in overall stick control and ability to just make a play when you need it. Kane is like Kobe (rape accusation aside)

Ca$H
05-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Same thing could be said about Curry's 402 made 3s.

fiddy
05-11-2016, 12:47 PM

Whos breaking Curry's 402 threes? (besides Curry?)

DingDengDong
05-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Nobody soon.

DukeDelonte13
05-11-2016, 01:28 PM

Gretzky has more assists than any other NHL player has points total (goals plus assists).

It's insane.

Steph has nowhere near the level of achievement that Gretzky had in the NHL.

PP34Deuce
05-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Gretzky has more assists than any other NHL player has points total (goals plus assists).

It's insane.

Steph has nowhere near the level of achievement that Gretzky had in the NHL.

I can see someone breaking Curry's record with a great shooter on a bad team that just chucks. Will it measure the same impact? maybe not, but with how often I'm seeing guys like JR smith scoring 7-8 3 pointers, I believe that record can be broken.

ROCSteady
05-11-2016, 02:18 PM

For Comparison:

I love Gretzky, he was a wizard and deserves all the praise he gets

but it was far easier to score goals back then. Just like it's easier to drive to the hoop in today's game versus when they're was hand checks.

Also, the goalies weren't nearly as good back then technique wise then and their gear was substantially smaller.

Now, you can correctly say that hockey players are much more skilled as a whole now and technology and training has made for harder shots but scores were higher back in the 80s as a mean.

Gretzky was the most dominant player in any team sport ever but comparing numbers to today's guys does not show that he was that much better as the stats suggest.

PP34Deuce
05-11-2016, 02:27 PM
I love Gretzky, he was a wizard and deserves all the praise he gets

but it was far easier to score goals back then. Just like it's easier to drive to the hoop in today's game versus when they're was hand checks.

Also, the goalies weren't nearly as good back then technique wise then and their gear was substantially smaller.

Now, you can correctly say that hockey players are much more skilled as a whole now and technology and training has made for harder shots but scores were higher back in the 80s as a mean.

Gretzky was the most dominant player in any team sport ever but comparing numbers to today's guys does not show that he was that much better as the stats suggest.

you have a point. Defenses are bigger now and cover more ground. I still say when you look at Gretsky his ability to do fakes, control the puck, and switch gears still would have him looking HOF caliber.

I still think while Kane, Wheeler, and Benn are amazing scorers...Gretsky had a magic johnson flair or getting the puck to the right guys at the right time while still scoring high in volume.

ROCSteady
05-11-2016, 03:27 PM
you have a point. Defenses are bigger now and cover more ground. I still say when you look at Gretsky his ability to do fakes, control the puck, and switch gears still would have him looking HOF caliber.

I still think while Kane, Wheeler, and Benn are amazing scorers...Gretsky had a magic johnson flair or getting the puck to the right guys at the right time while still scoring high in volume.

Gretzky not only possessed the little tricks you mentioned that gave him an advantage but like Steph Curry, has crazy instincts of when to deploy them.

Both Gretzky and Curry are very similar in their dominance in the sense that they are both undersized to be the greatest in their sport but they have quick thinking minds and sports IQs to make whoever is trying to stop them look foolish.

Just goes to show you how to be the best, your brain will always be the best tool.

Curry isn't perfect but he shows more often than not an uncanny ability to make the right decision or make the correct pass, hesitation, crossover, step back or aggressiveness for the right play.

Gretzky was always two-three steps ahead mentally of where the puck was going which allowed him to assess the ice and be the best playmaker ever.

Both guys are similar in that they outsmart their opponents and while not having the ideal size or build for the sport, their thought process combined with mastered moves make them the best pretty easily.

:bowdown:

CelticBaller
05-11-2016, 03:47 PM
GOATs

JBSptfn
05-12-2016, 02:23 AM
Brady shouldn't have been unanimous MVP in 2010. Peyton Manning was carrying an average offensive line, Pierre Garcon, Blair White, Austin Collie, and a weak running game (Donald Brown was the leading rusher with 497 yards) to the playoffs. He had 4,700 yards passing and 33 TD's.

k0kakw0rld
05-12-2016, 02:24 AM
By MJ, I mean people look at every new good ISO scorer and compare them to Gretsky. He was doing stick moves, fakes, that players today can't even do as fundamentally sound. Patrick Kane is like the closest thing to Gretsky and he's far from it.
Jagr > Gretzky
Manning > Brady
LeBron > Steph

BasedTom
05-12-2016, 02:28 AM
Goodell era = steroid era of american football, in terms of damage to the sport. Nobody with a proper chromosome count rates brady

all the criticisms that the nba gets of "soft watered down league" "rule changes ruined the game" "corrupt officiating" apply tenfold

FKAri
05-12-2016, 03:35 AM
Curry plays basketball the way Messi plays soccer. It's the same style. Both have superhuman ball control and accuracy.

Gretzky was the most dominant player in any team sport ever
I think there are some other candidates as well.

Jagr > Gretzky
Not Orr. Not Mario. But Jagr. :lol

JBSptfn
05-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Manning > Brady

More like Manning>>>>>Brady.

Check out this video series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXNwZ4NSvFYJi8qr9hg4emw-zOqMVjKm-

raprap
05-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Dominant :applause:

CelticBaller
05-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Goodell era = steroid era of american football, in terms of damage to the sport. Nobody with a proper chromosome count rates brady

all the criticisms that the nba gets of "soft watered down league" "rule changes ruined the game" "corrupt officiating" apply tenfold
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqYWnKBPg4Q
Paxton Lynch, QB of the Denver Broncos saying Brady is the GOAT

Seem like the only people missing chromosomes are you inbred idiots :oldlol:

CelticBaller
05-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Brady shouldn't have been unanimous MVP in 2010. Peyton Manning was carrying an average offensive line, Pierre Garcon, Blair White, Austin Collie, and a weak running game (Donald Brown was the leading rusher with 497 yards) to the playoffs. He had 4,700 yards passing and 33 TD's.
Brady had 36 4 int 65% on a 8 Y/A

That's the best TD to INT ratio for a full season, and arguably one of the best seasons ever for a QB. Not only did Peyton had worse stats, his team went 10-6

UMVP fool.

choppermagic
05-12-2016, 10:37 AM

It's an amazing feat, but let's not blow it up to beyond that. The function of the GSW offense is to shoot 3s so there will be tons more to make. It's not like someone in baseball can just "decide" to hit home runs instead of other hits and then rack up 100 HR in one season. Taking more 3s is a choice that was made that helped get that record.

HOWEVER, a team deciding that they will BUNT a lot more in baseball, can lead to breaking the bunting record...

Gtrezky's season was just ridiculous. He was playing on the same ice, doing the "same" things as other players but just blew everyone away

Ca$H
05-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Brady had 36 4 int 65% on a 8 Y/A

That's the best TD to INT ratio for a full season, and arguably one of the best seasons ever for a QB. Not only did Peyton had worse stats, his team went 10-6

UMVP fool.

Bran is like Peyton Manning. A regular season stats guy who won 2 rings on stacked teams. Curry is like Brady. A true GOAT.