PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see a better dunker and better raptor than V.C?

Real14
05-11-2016, 03:26 PM
I don't think so. What u think ISH?

Rake2204
05-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Yes. Dunking, particularly in-game dunking, is still evolving. In large part because of Vince Carter (and everyone else, ranging from Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan to Shawn Kemp to Julius Erving to Elgin Baylor) each new generation of players are executing and completing a deeper array of dunks, building off of what those before them had established.

That said, it'll still take just the right person. Athletic talent wasn't the only reason Carter was the greatest dunker of all-time. He was also a student of the dunk and loved the show of it all. He wasn't a guy who just casually mentioned watching some Jordan clips growing up; he recorded dunk contests and studied everyone, including guys like Jamie Watson and Kenny Walker.

It's going to take someone with Carter's athelticism, but also his passion and dunking mindset. That's also not really touching on his grace and dunking refinement (aka the ability for Carter to complete the same dunk as someone else while making it look 100 times better).

Either way, it's going to happen. It's just a matter of time. That's how the evolution of the dunk works. Someone takes it to the next level, then there's a group of people who slowly catch up to that level in some regard, then another guy steps in and jumps it to the next level, rinse and repeat.

Milbuck
05-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Lavine just needs to become a more dynamic ball handler and he could come close, dude has all the makings of a GOAT dunker (I already think he and Gordon have the GOAT contests) but he just needs a more refined game off the dribble to use it in games. Dude is still only 21 though and has a natural feel for the ball like Wiggins doesn't, I think in 3-4 years as he evolves as a creator he's going to have really filthy dunks in games.

Rake2204
05-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Lavine just needs to become a more dynamic ball handler and he could come close, dude has all the makings of a GOAT dunker (I already think he and Gordon have the GOAT contests) but he just needs a more refined game off the dribble to use it in games. Dude is still only 21 though and has a natural feel for the ball like Wiggins doesn't, I think in 3-4 years as he evolves as a creator he's going to have really filthy dunks in games.With total respect, I strongly disagree with the notion that Zach LaVine has the makings of a GOAT dunker. He has been incredible in dunk contests but his in-game dunk tendency is overwhelmingly standard and frequently unimaginative.

That's not to say he hasn't had some very nice game dunks, but I haven't seen much of anything in that regard that made me step back and consider him as a potential GOAT dunker candidate.

Here's what I do like about LaVine's in-game dunks: he runs the floor exceptionally well and uses that ability to split seams and takeoff for quick dunks that often feature wonderful elevation.

Here's what holds him back from being a legendary in-game dunker, in my opinion:

1) Seemingly 85 percent of his in-game dunks are standard one-handers off of one foot. Some of them feature him rising to the roof and some of them are particularly strong but in the majority of cases, his in-game dunks are somewhat routine.

2) Takeoff Limitations: Being a one-foot guy can limit dunk excellence to some degree in the NBA, as a lot of the most creative and exciting flushes come off of two-foot takeoffs. LeBron James was someone who was able to make the most of his primarily one-foot takeoffs but even then, he seemed to bring more to the table off two-feet (in-game) than LaVine at this point.

3) Lack of Creativity: I guess this ties into No. 1 but again, so far, the disparity between LaVine's dunk contest dunks and his in-game dunks may be wider than any other contest winner in league history at this point. Unofficially, I feel like I saw 5-8 dunks of his this past year that deviated from standard one-handers or standard two-hand lobs.

On top of that, the times he does get creative sometimes feels sterile, with no real personality or flavor.

It's like, when Vince Carter broke into the open floor, folks clamored and often rose to their feet as they wondered what crazy flush he was going to bring to the table. When LaVine breaks into the open floor, it's usually, "Oh yep, one-hander again..."

4) Zero Posters: One of the bigger issues with one-footed leapers: It can be tough to put folks on posters. That could change as he grows and develops ball-handling (as you said) but things could also always hover around where they are now, where he's primarily a streak and one-hand guy.

I mean, he'll catch people at some point and add some posters to the resume but if we're talking about a potential dunk GOAT candidate, that's never going to do.

TL;DR Zach LaVine is just way too boring and unimaginative in-game dunker to even show a flash of potential for GOAT dunker candidacy. If we're only talking dunk contests, it may be a different discussion.

All 2015 In-Game Dunks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MJ3c4foEYs

All 2016 In-Game Dunks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6yOchuj01c

For comparison, here's Vince Carter's Top 40 from his rookie year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtyDQKry1ZY

And Carter's Top 50 College Dunks too, trying to match LaVine's current age: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRF0i3iraoo

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Contest wise u can argue a couple (James White, Gordon, Lavine)

Ingame no one has still come close to Vinces stratosphere for dunks. He was the perfect dunker, might see some nikka that just does some super crazy sht tho but so far not even close

No Craptor is close to peak 01 VC. He was a top 3 offensive player in basketball along with Kobe and Shaq that season. Underrated defender, had a great postseason. Easily a top 10 player stacked with alltime talent

as far as WILL a Craptor come close i dunno depends.