PDA

View Full Version : Was young MJ as intense as Westbrook?

IGOTGAME
05-17-2016, 01:09 PM
There were times when he was guarding Curry in the third where it seemed like he was possessed. Never seen anything like it

KiiiiNG
05-17-2016, 01:13 PM
MJs focus was more effective because he was much more physically talented, but no-one in history has the raw intensity of Westbrook. I've watched it for 5 years straight so I don't even notice it anymore. It's just Westbrook.

lilteapot
05-17-2016, 01:14 PM
MJs focus was more effective because he was much more physically talented, but no-one in history has the raw intensity of Westbrook. I've watched it for 5 years straight so I don't even notice it anymore. It's just Westbrook.

What a stupid, arbitrary statement. The hell is "raw intensity"? Is that some attribute you just made up on the spot?

KiiiiNG
05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
What a stupid, arbitrary statement. The hell is "raw intensity"? Is that some attribute you just made up on the spot?
Can't be any worse than your terrible predictions

lilteapot
05-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Can't be any worse than your terrible predictions
Way to dodge the question

DonDadda59
05-17-2016, 01:30 PM
You mean the Jordan who won MVP, DPOY, the scoring title, the steals title, the dunk contest, and ASG MVP while becoming the first player to record 200 steals and 100 blocks in one season?

That young MJ? :confusedshrug:

IGOTGAME
05-17-2016, 01:37 PM
You mean the Jordan who won MVP, DPOY, the scoring title, the steals title, the dunk contest, and ASG MVP while becoming the first player to record 200 steals and 100 blocks in one season?

That young MJ? :confusedshrug:
Obviously MJs better than Westbrook. But I was talking about the level of intensity, which admittedly is hard to quantify

nightprowler10
05-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Obviously MJs better than Westbrook. But I was talking about the level of intensity, which admittedly is hard to quantify
Well let's see, MJ got all those steals and blocks while also being a leading scorer, do you think anyone can do that without playing with a LOT of intensity?

nightprowler10
05-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Think of it this way. You remember Lebron's game 6 against Boston in 2012? Remember how much intensity he played with? Also remember how everyone talked about it being MJ-like intensity?

IGOTGAME
05-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Well let's see, MJ got all those steals and blocks while also being a leading scorer, do you think anyone can do that without playing with a LOT of intensity?
Just someone that is a better player. And I didn't say a lot, I said as much as Westbrook...

I know kobe played with a lot of intensity but it wasn't this level...

It's not like I haven't watched MJ games, this just seems inhuman to me based on the part of his career I witnessed live

BlazerRed
05-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Way to dodge the question
He got you doe :oldlol:

bdreason
05-17-2016, 01:58 PM
MJ seemed more in control of his emotions.

Westbrook just seems completely out of control sometimes, although he's been better in these playoffs.

Hey Yo
05-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Not taking anything away from MJ but a lot of steals are gotten from bad passes.....regardless who the player is getting credit for a steal.

Pointguard
05-17-2016, 03:44 PM
KG was the most intense I ever seen (salivate, pounds his head into stuff, zones into a weird place, all players are subject to his madness, slept with scouting reports, always played with passion and smarts even when his team sucked). Then Jordan and then Westbrook, each a step down from the other. KG rarely ever took plays off. Westbrook will take a half off. Ewing was another that played with ever present intensity.

DonDadda59
05-17-2016, 03:54 PM

It's no secret that Jordan was always driven by a borderline psychotic competitiveness and rage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ZaudNTSeQ).

http://i.makeagif.com/media/10-12-2015/yVG2O-.gif

http://i.makeagif.com/media/10-12-2015/VX98CR.gif

http://i.makeagif.com/media/2-17-2015/TdJiY8.gif

FKAri
05-17-2016, 04:11 PM
If you didn't watch MJ then the best comparison I could give you is that his intensity was similar in type to Kobe's. It was not based on emotion as much as Westbrook's is.

Ultimately, it is hard to really know who is more intense. Some 12th man might have had the GOAT intensity. You don't really know what is going on in someone's head.

OldSchoolBBall
05-17-2016, 06:39 PM
I think Jordan was just as, if not more, intense - he just played under control more and was more poised/skilled, so he didn't seem like be just running around buck wild out there like WB is sometimes. Everything did MJ did on both ends was calculated and efficient.

imdaman99
05-17-2016, 07:12 PM
I think Jordan was just as, if not more, intense - he just played under control more and was more poised/skilled, so he didn't seem like be just running around buck wild out there like WB is sometimes. Everything did MJ did on both ends was calculated and efficient.
How calculated was him shooting 3-18 against the Knicks down 0-2? Was it all a part of his plan to have Pippen grow up before our very eyes?

ImKobe
05-17-2016, 07:16 PM
How calculated was him shooting 3-18 against the Knicks down 0-2? Was it all a part of his plan to have Pippen grow up before our very eyes?

3-18 but still had 22/8/11 and made 16 out of 17 FTs in a blowout win

followed that game up with 54 pts on 30 shots followed by a triple double

Smoke117
05-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Is being intense supposed to make you better? Tim Duncan is as docile as a butterfly and Westbrook will never come close to reaching his career...so what does all this intensity actually do? The mild-mannered, aloof ones always handle pressure better.

imdaman99
05-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Is being intense supposed to make you better? Tim Duncan is as docile as a butterfly and Westbrook will never come close to reaching his career...so what does all this intensity actually do? The mild-mannered, aloof ones always handle pressure better.
How docile was Scottie Pippen when he benched himself at the end of a must win playoff game? :oldlol: Was it all a part of the plan to make sure Kukoc got the last shot?

Smoke117
05-17-2016, 07:26 PM
How docile was Scottie Pippen when he benched himself at the end of a must win playoff game? :oldlol: Was it all a part of the plan to make sure Kukoc got the last shot?

Scottie was always an intense player with a temper, so I'm not sure what the point of this point is besides trying to get under my skin. (and failing miserably)

SexSymbol
05-17-2016, 07:28 PM
KG, very young Kobe, younger tony allen, Jasikevicius

G-train
05-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Different personalities.
For example, only ever saw Jordan dance on the court once:
http://marlon-wayans.s3.amazonaws.com/mw_videos/jordan-jackson-face0ff3.jpg
Westbrook dances every game.
Jordan was more serious.

ImKobe
05-17-2016, 07:33 PM

Duncan has plenty of Playoff chokes to his resume, and why are we comparing a big man to a guard?

Westbrook could easily come close to Duncan's career because numbers-wise his production this year has been better than that of prime Duncan's.

Smoke117
05-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Duncan has plenty of Playoff chokes to his resume, and why are we comparing a big man to a guard?

Westbrook could easily come close to Duncan's career because numbers-wise his production this year has been better than that of prime Duncan's.

Alright then...Ray Allen. Real mild mannered, cool headed dude. Ice in his veins clutch player.

ArbitraryWater
05-17-2016, 07:40 PM

??

G-train
05-17-2016, 07:40 PM

No one easily comes close to Duncan.

Pointguard
05-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Do you seriously think there is one quality that works on all players that makes them better across the board? Westbrook without intensity can not out play CP3 or Curry. You have to be blind not to see that. Jordan was intense and he handled pressure better than anybody, without exception.

90sgoat
05-17-2016, 08:45 PM
Come on, MJs intensity is legendary, this is the guy who simply could not do any activity without trying to win.

He played a lot of minutes too, around 40 most of career and never took a play off, I challenge you to find a Harden moment in his entire career.

He was relentless on offense and defense.

Not as emotional outward, but just as intense.