PDA

View Full Version : Simmons = Okafor and Ingram = KAT?

Ca$H
05-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Simmons and Okafor were considered to be the consensus best players in college basketball for the majority of their seasons. However, towards the end of the college basketball season and during the predraft process Ingram and KAT usurped them. Simmons and Okafor are being criticized for playing poor defense and having poor jump-shots. Ingram and KAT are seen as potential 2 way/franchise players. KAT ended being a true franchise player with no major decencies and I think Ingram can surprise everyone and emerge as a true #1 option franchise player. Okafor proved to be an empty stats guy with real limitations and Simmons could prove to be the same.

JohnnySic
05-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Unpopular opinion: I think Okafor will be just as good if not better than KAT long term. KAT is more skilled right now but Okafor is bigger, stronger, more athletic, more naturally talented and has a natural feel on the offensive end.

Snarky Narc
05-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Hopefully Lakers get the worst of the 2. But it won't happen, because they are the Lakers and the 76ers gonna do their usual thing.

Haymaker
05-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Simmons is all talent, no drive. He's a Melo or a Derrick Coleman. Content to earn money and collect awards. I don't see him leading a team to a championship.

StephHamann
05-18-2016, 10:03 AM
Unpopular opinion: I think Okafor will be just as good if not better than KAT long term. KAT is more skilled right now but Okafor is bigger, stronger, more athletic, more naturally talented and has a natural feel on the offensive end.

https://media.giphy.com/media/26FPxFeuN8UA7nqGQ/giphy.gif

ClipperRevival
05-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Simmons is all talent, no drive. He's a Melo or a Derrick Coleman. Content to earn money and collect awards. I don't see him leading a team to a championship.

Yeah, the intangibles matter for a superstar potential player. To get to that highest level, you want guys who want to get better and want to compete and win, not just show up. There are some red flags with Simmons. You can't fake inner motivation. Some guys just don't have it.

ZenMaster
05-18-2016, 10:59 AM

Very unpopular..

He might be bigger and stronger, who knows. But I strongly disagree that Okafor is more athletic or more naturally talented, KAT also has a natural feel for the offensive game as well as defense - an area where you can expect Okafor to always be behind.

Sarcastic
05-18-2016, 10:59 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/26FPxFeuN8UA7nqGQ/giphy.gif

Did you see Okafor DESTROY Towns in their first match up? It looked like a grown man vs first grader.

ImKobe
05-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Did you see Okafor DESTROY Towns in their first match up? It looked like a grown man vs first grader.

Yeah he was legit on the offensive end and got Towns into foul trouble IIRC, which limited his minutes and he never got going.

still had a higher FG%, 3PT% (okafor can't shoot 3s) and FT%, averaged more ppg, rpg bpg, better PER, was a positive on both offensive and defensive end and was the unanimous ROY for the season.. There is no doubt who the better player is at this point in time.

Okafor is Al Jefferson at best. Can score 20 points a game but isn't the strongest rebounder and won't be an anchor on a good defensive team... Towns can shoot from 3, is an above 80% shooter from the line and has potential to be an elite defender in the next few years. His game can have the kind of impact that KG's did, especially with KG coaching him in Minnesota. Okafor is in a terrible situation in Philly.

chocolatethunder
05-18-2016, 11:28 AM

Yes! It's usually best to use a sample size of one when doing an evaluation.

FreezingTsmoove
05-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Okafor is a good shooter wtf are you talking about

StephHamann
05-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Okafor is a Brook Lopez type player.

KAT has the chance to become a legit 20/10 defensive anchor

ImKobe
05-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Okafor is a good shooter wtf are you talking about

10-16 ft 35%
16 ft - 3pt 27%

38% total on jump shots, but most are inside 15 ft

Snarky Narc
05-18-2016, 11:50 AM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

FreezingTsmoove
05-18-2016, 11:53 AM
10-16 ft 35%
16 ft - 3pt 27%

38% total on jump shots, but most are inside 15 ft

Thats really good for a rookie who never reclassed

Sarcastic
05-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Yes! It's usually best to use a sample size of one when doing an evaluation.

It's about as ridiculous as using a rookie year as the sole determinant that one player will be better than the other.

Kingwillball
05-18-2016, 12:47 PM

Lol, wow this post shows u know sh!t about basketball.. KAT is bigger (6"11 to 6"10) is more athletic and is better all around. Strength wise can go either way that is your only argument but KAT will only get stronger in that area as well.

Kingwillball
05-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Okafor is a Brook Lopez type player.

KAT has the chance to become a legit 20/10 defensive anchor

Low end .. He could have those numbers next year .. Could see his peak numbers be around 24,12,3,3 with great defense..

Nick Young
05-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Okafor is also an idiot who has gotten in fistfights his rookie year.

It is highly unlikely he won't pan out. Towns in contrast seems to love basketball and cares about being an all time great.

chocolatethunder
05-18-2016, 03:29 PM
It's about as ridiculous as using a rookie year as the sole determinant that one player will be better than the other.

I agree which is why I said nothing more. Okafor is slower and less athletic than Towns, is a worse defender and is not as good of a shooter or FT shooter or rebounder. All of those facts would lead me to believe that Towns has a higher ceiling and is more likely to become a better player. That doesn't mean he will. Stranger things have happened.

NuggetsFan
05-18-2016, 03:42 PM

People say premature things and get overhyped about rookie seasons all the time. Players develop at different rates. KAT had an amazing season and looks poised to be a guaranteed superstar so I think thinking Okafor is going to be better is deff an unpopular opinion but still a valid one.

However thinking Okafor is more athletic is not. Towns is quicker, faster, better leaper, more explosive and it isn't even remotely close. To think Okafor is more athletic means you probably haven't watched either. That's not valid. Strength is the only athletic trait that is debatable between the two and I'd go with Okafor there. Towns also measures in abit taller than Okafor, but I think Okafor is longer so whatever.

The_Yearning
05-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Okafor is like Vuvecic from Orlando.

Kiddlovesnets
05-18-2016, 05:05 PM
You people are acting like Okafor is a huge bust already. Come on, hes not as good as KAT but he will have a decent career, and as a No.3 pick he will play up to his potential. He wont be a great player, but wont be busted either.

STATUTORY
05-18-2016, 05:18 PM

the bolded statement is literally the exact opposite of reality

JohnnySic
05-18-2016, 05:23 PM
the bolded statement is literally the exact opposite of reality

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2228579.1432082824!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_307/webknicks20s-web.jpg

^Pictures dont lie. Okafor is bigger, and to my eye, more athletic. Towns is more skilled, for now.

JohnnySic
05-18-2016, 05:24 PM
dp

CJ Mustard
05-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Jesus Christ at this thread. Do some people here even watch basketball? Okafor more athletic than Towns? :lol Okafor a shooter? :lol

ImKobe
05-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Jesus Christ at this thread. Do some people here even watch basketball? Okafor more athletic than Towns? :lol Okafor a shooter? :lol

Seriously man, you're not going to convince me that Okafor can shoot the ball well when he barely made a shot outside the paint and shot below 70% from the line.

Towns is more athletic, he can move faster which makes him a better defender while Okafor has strength but will struggle guarding small ball line-ups.

Meticode
05-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Towns is in a better situation than Okafor right now and Okafor off-the-court situations have looked troublesome. KAT has the higher ceiling and I think he achieves that and will overall be a better than Okafor when it comes down to it because of his ability to to play both sides of the court so well.

FireMcFailPlease
05-18-2016, 06:47 PM
I did. Towns got into trouble 3 min into the game and it took a lot of air out of the sail of the game. Jahlil wont hat 1 on 1

Twolves still won sending the sixers to like 0-19.

Both had underwhelming games in Philly. They'll battle it out over the next X amount of years.

That said, Ill take KAT every day of the week. he's going to be good. really really good. You dont hear about other fans hyping up Jah like they do KAT.

brandonislegend
05-18-2016, 08:07 PM
:biggums:

GOBB
05-19-2016, 01:07 AM
Oak dominated Towns in their matchup. Shit wasn't even close. Maybe in the future Towns will reverse that but he has his number. Towns is a better talent given he is a legit two way player. Oak may be more of a polished interior scorer as Towns could use a lesson or two or three learning post moves/footwork to expand his offense. But Towns ability to play both positions, stretch floor potential and defensive ability seperates him. I really wanted Towns. I would give up the chance to draft Ben Simmons in this draft if sixers could have the first pick last draft. Give us 3rd pick or where does Minny draft 5th? I'll actually take the 5th pick. That's how much I like Towns potential. Could backfire and I look like an idiot in hindsight but I think he has some crazy potential to be a franchise game changer. Oak will be a good player but great? A guy to build around? I don't see it.

Oak can't shoot? I think that is a petty way for a person to criticique him. Ask yourself how many jumpers he took in college. I'll give u a hint you can count on one hand. Oak entering the draft jumper or lack thereof was highlighted. What Oak showed his rookie season is he can face up, he can shoot. Does he need work? Certainly. But give him credit instead of nitpicking %'s when the fact he's even attempted jumpers should be credited. He's hit shots in various ways. Off the dribble, using the glass ala Duncan. He's shown a better improvement of a jumper than Noel who literally spent summer trying to shoot and sucks ass. So I'm intrigued at oak development as a shooter as his career unfolds. The idea was he lives in the paint (Eddy curry). And he showed range to me.