PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: have all-time greats grow up in today's era

Marchesk
05-20-2016, 10:41 PM
So for example Bird comes into the league when Curry does. He grows up in an era with a much heavier emphasis on 3s.

Wilt gets to watch Shaq physically dominate, and then works out with Hakeem.

Jordan has Kobe and Lebron to gun for. And he has more reason to work on shooting threes.

Kareem is, well who knows.

I wonder if Magic is the same.

ShawkFactory
05-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Maybe their careers and their dominance don't look exactly the same as it did when they played.

But these are all transcendent talents. They'd make it work

Marchesk
05-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Maybe their careers and their dominance don't look exactly the same as it did when they played.

But these are all transcendent talents. They'd make it work

I'm sure they would. I wonder though if some of them would benefit more by today's rules and style of play (Bird especially), and others would be a bit less dominating (maybe Dr J, some of the bigs?)

Does Bird have close to Curry shooting if he came into the league about the same time? Because that would be GOAT level considering everything else Bird could do.

Poetry
05-20-2016, 10:59 PM
Bird was just quoted as saying, "When I played, I never did practice three-point shots."

ShawkFactory
05-20-2016, 11:06 PM
I'm sure they would. I wonder though if some of them would benefit more by today's rules and style of play (Bird especially), and others would be a bit less dominating (maybe Dr J, some of the bigs?)

Does Bird have close to Curry shooting if he came into the league about the same time? Because that would be GOAT level considering everything else Bird could do.
Even over MJ, Bird is the guy I wish I could have seen.

I'm not sure he had the ability to be able to do quite what steph can from deep. Even though he could shoot over anyone, steph gets himself decent shots because he's so quick.

But given everything else Bird could do? Yea, he'd dominate. Watching his film, he seems like he'd generally step a few feet in from the 3 point line to get a little bit easier shot. But with this new era of thinking I believe he'd can 3s left and right.

I think that also works both ways. If Lebron grew up in an era where the physicality in the inside game was key he'd be just as dominant...but different. Because he can also do so much.

And with Curry...he's quicker than most in any era. He'd find a way to get shots off and he'd make a lot of them. Even though I never watched Jerry west I picture steph as a less strong, but quicker version of him.

90sgoat
05-20-2016, 11:21 PM
Bird was just quoted as saying, "When I played, I never did practice three-point shots."

And yet he shot 40+ several seasons, along with 90+ from FT and 50+ from field.

Bird shot 93% from the line in one season. Anyone who can shoot 90+ is also a good 3 point shooter, just a good shooter all around.

Prime_Shaq
05-21-2016, 12:03 AM
Larry Bird will be the best player in the league.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-21-2016, 12:14 AM
If you put all the players in the history of the NBA in their prime under today's rules in one league, I'm not so sure Bird wouldn't be the best player in the NBA. MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Big O, LeBron from 7 or so year ago, Shaq, etc obviously included.

Of course teams would be playing differently with that many great bigs in one league.