PDA

View Full Version : Bismack Biyombo=No Longer a Bust

sammichoffate
05-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Thick

kamil
05-22-2016, 03:32 PM
To be fair, he was a 7th pick. Not exactly fair to give guys at 7th pick get labeled as 'bust' that mostly applies to guys like Anthony Bennet at #1 pick.

sammichoffate
05-22-2016, 03:35 PM
To be fair, he was a 7th pick. Not exactly fair to give guys at 7th pick get labeled as 'bust' that mostly applies to guys like Anthony Bennet at #1 pick.He was getting comparisons to Ben Wallace, I get where ur coming from tho

zeerghit
05-22-2016, 03:56 PM
he's not 23 for sure..

Wally450
05-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Weak 7th option.

sportjames23
05-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Change his name to Bitchsmack. :pimp:

bluechox2
05-22-2016, 09:41 PM
new ben wallace

Gileraracer
05-23-2016, 06:48 AM
Killed Lebaldo

Real14
05-23-2016, 07:12 AM
He can't have kids no more? :biggums:

madmax
05-23-2016, 07:53 AM
he's not 23 for sure..

:lol

Snarky Narc
05-23-2016, 09:03 AM
I never thought he was a bust :confusedshrug:

rufuspaul
05-23-2016, 09:29 AM
Glad to see Biz coming into his own.

sportjames23
05-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Glad to see Biz coming into his own.

Nobody beats the Biz, nobody beats the Biz

Snarky Narc
05-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Nobody beats the Biz, nobody beats the Biz
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/SCSnare/gifs/The_Wiz_Seinfeld.gif

^ Somebody put Bismack's face on The Wiz and put LeBron's face on Elaine.

Reggie43
05-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Baby Deke.

HylianNightmare
05-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Pf dwight

miggyme1
05-23-2016, 01:08 PM
To be fair, he was a 7th pick. Not exactly fair to give guys at 7th pick get labeled as 'bust' that mostly applies to guys like Anthony Bennet at #1 pick.

what????? you act like the 7th pick is a low pick.....anytime a team drafts a LOTTERY pick...you are looking for the BEST option on the board. So you have to take what comes with that...its not biyombo's fault a team was dumb enough or took a chance on him at 7 but you have to take what comes with that. A top 10 pick comes with either changing the franchise or becoming a focal point of that team. Its always been that way....no one takes a lottery pick and looks at it as just a "pick". I cant remember what year he was drafted and maybe it was a weak draft but still he had bust written all over him...whether it was fairly received or not

Legends66NBA7
05-23-2016, 01:18 PM
He was getting comparisons to Ben Wallace, I get where ur coming from tho

As he should, he plays very similar to Big Ben. Obviously not the same player but he's got a high motor, great rebounding, and great shot blocking too.

Not to mention, the only Raptor to play every single game this year (RS+PO) and tonight will game 100 for him.

Legends66NBA7
05-23-2016, 01:30 PM
what????? you act like the 7th pick is a low pick.....anytime a team drafts a LOTTERY pick...you are looking for the BEST option on the board. So you have to take what comes with that...its not biyombo's fault a team was dumb enough or took a chance on him at 7 but you have to take what comes with that. A top 10 pick comes with either changing the franchise or becoming a focal point of that team. Its always been that way....no one takes a lottery pick and looks at it as just a "pick". I cant remember what year he was drafted and maybe it was a weak draft but still he had bust written all over him...whether it was fairly received or not

The 7th pick isn't a low pick, but it has also never drawn that many major talents. Steph Curry is the major exception, but after that the best picks are Kevin Johnson and Chris Mullin and that was so long ago. Hell, if we look since the start of the new century...

2000 - Chris Mihm
2001 - Eddie Griffin (RIP)
2002 - Nene
2003 - Kirk Hinrich
2004 - Luol Deng
2005 - Charlie V
2006 - Randy Foye
2007 - Ronnie Brewer
2008 - Eric Gordon
2009 - Steph Curry
2010 - Greg Monroe
2011 - Bismack Biyombo
2012 - Harrison Barnes
2013 - Ben McLemore
2014 - Julius Randle
2015 - Emmanuel Mudiay

Word is still out on Randle and Mudiay, but outside of Steph that whole list of players has yielded two low end all-star berths for Luol Deng. Everyone else has either been a role player or are putting up numbers on bad teams, not very impactful.

Biyombo got drafted in 2011 by the Kings, but then he was traded on draft night. He was going up the draft boards hard that night based on upside alone. He turned out to be nice backup C and the Raptors have badly needed one for years.

Infact, he's done a great job as a starter too, even if the team works harder on offense.

Meticode
05-23-2016, 01:35 PM
One game.

kamil
05-23-2016, 01:39 PM

That's not the point. 'BUST' is a term almost exclusively reserved for the #1 pick. How many players have there been that ended up being garbage at the #7 pick versus the #1 pick?

miggyme1
05-23-2016, 02:26 PM
That's not the point. 'BUST' is a term almost exclusively reserved for the #1 pick. How many players have there been that ended up being garbage at the #7 pick versus the #1 pick?

you have a point but with that being said...lets say a player like a LeBron was taken 7th in a draft and turned out to be a bench warmer he wouldn't be considered a bust??

I don't think the term bust should just be reserved to the first pick or first two or first 3 or whatever. A top 7 pick is still pretty high in my book. If im a GM/owner and I get the 7th pick in the draft im looking for a "FRANCHISE CHANGING" player. If not why accept the 7th pick??? you might as well trade down and get multiple picks. No one selects a player that high unless its to bring in someone to change the franchise or to use that player as a bargaining chip to gain someone who can change the franchise. CASE CLOSED

kamil
05-23-2016, 02:33 PM
you have a point but with that being said...lets say a player like a LeBron was taken 7th in a draft and turned out to be a bench warmer he wouldn't be considered a bust??

I don't think the term bust should just be reserved to the first pick or first two or first 3 or whatever. A top 7 pick is still pretty high in my book. If im a GM/owner and I get the 7th pick in the draft im looking for a "FRANCHISE CHANGING" player. If not why accept the 7th pick??? you might as well trade down and get multiple picks. No one selects a player that high unless its to bring in someone to change the franchise or to use that player as a bargaining chip to gain someone who can change the franchise. CASE CLOSED

Sure it didnt work out but BUST itself is pretty much reserved for a failed #1 pick.. perhaps top 3... but at 7? Come on man. Nobody thinks 7th pick is a bust when it's not really a guarantee of a solid pick.

miggyme1
05-23-2016, 02:35 PM
The 7th pick isn't a low pick, but it has also never drawn that many major talents. Steph Curry is the major exception, but after that the best picks are Kevin Johnson and Chris Mullin and that was so long ago. Hell, if we look since the start of the new century...

2000 - Chris Mihm
2001 - Eddie Griffin (RIP)
2002 - Nene
2003 - Kirk Hinrich
2004 - Luol Deng
2005 - Charlie V
2006 - Randy Foye
2007 - Ronnie Brewer
2008 - Eric Gordon
2009 - Steph Curry
2010 - Greg Monroe
2011 - Bismack Biyombo
2012 - Harrison Barnes
2013 - Ben McLemore
2014 - Julius Randle
2015 - Emmanuel Mudiay

Word is still out on Randle and Mudiay, but outside of Steph that whole list of players has yielded two low end all-star berths for Luol Deng. Everyone else has either been a role player or are putting up numbers on bad teams, not very impactful.

Biyombo got drafted in 2011 by the Kings, but then he was traded on draft night. He was going up the draft boards hard that night based on upside alone. He turned out to be nice backup C and the Raptors have badly needed one for years.

Infact, he's done a great job as a starter too, even if the team works harder on offense.

GREAT POST

BUT

You do know every person on that list was projected to be FRANCHISE CHANGING players. I wont go through everyone but I will highlight a few.

eric Gordon- was projected as one of the more nba ready players in his draft and was considered to be the person who was gonna put the clippers on the map

ben mclemore- nba size, nba athleticism, needed to improve jumper, one of the higher upsides in his draft. FRANCHISE CHANGING....projected

kirk hinrich- Best pure point guard in his draft, great shooter, excellent in pick and roll.......FRANCHISE CHANGING PLAYER....AND WAS FOR A FEW SEASONS IN CHICAGO....I DO NOT CONSIDER HINRICH A BUST THOUGH BUT ITS CLOSE.

Harrison barnes- see ben mclemore

eddie griffin- this guy was a beast at seton hall. I believe that's where he played...my memory has faded over the years. A guy who had handles like a guard but the size to play pf.....was nothing he couldn't do on the court. could shoot,pass,rebound,AND defend.......FRANCHISE CHANGING PLAYER...projected....

Snarky Narc
05-23-2016, 03:00 PM
GREAT POST

BUT

You do know every person on that list was projected to be FRANCHISE CHANGING players. I wont go through everyone but I will highlight a few.

eric Gordon- was projected as one of the more nba ready players in his draft and was considered to be the person who was gonna put the clippers on the map

ben mclemore- nba size, nba athleticism, needed to improve jumper, one of the higher upsides in his draft. FRANCHISE CHANGING....projected

kirk hinrich- Best pure point guard in his draft, great shooter, excellent in pick and roll.......FRANCHISE CHANGING PLAYER....AND WAS FOR A FEW SEASONS IN CHICAGO....I DO NOT CONSIDER HINRICH A BUST THOUGH BUT ITS CLOSE.

Harrison barnes- see ben mclemore

eddie griffin- this guy was a beast at seton hall. I believe that's where he played...my memory has faded over the years. A guy who had handles like a guard but the size to play pf.....was nothing he couldn't do on the court. could shoot,pass,rebound,AND defend.......FRANCHISE CHANGING PLAYER...projected....

There is a huge difference between hoping for a franchise changing player and a projected franchise changer. If they were all projected as franchise changing players, they would have been higher picks.

miggyme1
05-23-2016, 03:45 PM
There is a huge difference between hoping for a franchise changing player and a projected franchise changer. If they were all projected as franchise changing players, they would have been higher picks.

Well that means you don't agree with the fact that those players WERE in fact viewed as franchise changing players in their draft.

Im not making this up. Go back and look at those players draft notes or analysis. We see it in just about every draft that a player slides up or down. Its not uncommon for a player to slide down.

Eric Gordon slid down a few spots because of injury concerns...look at a few of the people drafted before eric......drose,beasely,oj mayo,kevin love....eric Gordon could have and would have easily been a top 3 pick if it wasn't for injury concerns.

I will make a few exceptions for some of the weaker drafts but with doing that you alSO have to make exceptions for some of the stronger drafts like the 1996 nba draft...the first 14 or 15 picks in that draft had FRANCHISE CHANGING PLAYERS.....projected.

In a normal draft with balanced talent I don't see how one could consider a 7th pick as being below franchise changing. What should you look for if you have the 7th pick???? If a young kobe was on the board and you had the 7th pick you wouldn't take him? what about a young kevin garnett?? Dirk?

I think johnny Flynn was a top 5 pick in his draft...he isn't a bust??? If you do consider him a bust.......if he was the seventh pick you wouldn't consider him a bust even though its 2 spots later and STILL a top 10 pick?

Im just trying to find the logic.

kamil
05-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Well that means you don't agree with the fact that those players WERE in fact viewed as franchise changing players in their draft.

Im not making this up. Go back and look at those players draft notes or analysis. We see it in just about every draft that a player slides up or down. Its not uncommon for a player to slide down.

Eric Gordon slid down a few spots because of injury concerns...look at a few of the people drafted before eric......drose,beasely,oj mayo,kevin love....eric Gordon could have and would have easily been a top 3 pick if it wasn't for injury concerns.

I will make a few exceptions for some of the weaker drafts but with doing that you alSO have to make exceptions for some of the stronger drafts like the 1996 nba draft...the first 14 or 15 picks in that draft had FRANCHISE CHANGING PLAYERS.....projected.

In a normal draft with balanced talent I don't see how one could consider a 7th pick as being below franchise changing. What should you look for if you have the 7th pick???? If a young kobe was on the board and you had the 7th pick you wouldn't take him? what about a young kevin garnett?? Dirk?

I think johnny Flynn was a top 5 pick in his draft...he isn't a bust??? If you do consider him a bust.......if he was the seventh pick you wouldn't consider him a bust even though its 2 spots later and STILL a top 10 pick?

Im just trying to find the logic.

You've got a weird definition of 'franchise changing'

Snarky Narc
05-23-2016, 03:50 PM

Im not making this up.
It is not a fact, and you are making it up. They had potential (hope) to be franchise changing players, they were not "projected" to be franchise changing players. Again, if they were, they would have been top 2 picks or so.

kamil
05-23-2016, 03:55 PM
It is not a fact, and you are making it up. They had potential (hope) to be franchise changing players, they were not "projected" to be franchise changing players. Again, if they were, they would have been top 2 picks or so.

Either that or you get a draft class like '84, '96 or '03

UK2K
05-23-2016, 04:21 PM
He never was a bust.

Anyone who thought he would be is... not smart.

MiseryCityTexas
05-23-2016, 05:00 PM
I never thought he was a bust :confusedshrug:

People in here are lying. Everyone thought he was a bust when he played for the Bobcats.

MiseryCityTexas
05-23-2016, 05:40 PM
Just like everyone in here said that Deandre Jordan was a bust until Blake Griffin was drafted.:facepalm