PDA

View Full Version : How a valedictorian

UK2K
05-23-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm torn on this...

Part of me thinks A) its just a beard and B) in a time when dudes are being pushed to look like chicks, good for him for actually looking like a male.

On the flip side, this irked me:

[QUOTE]Jones said he declined to shave a goatee because the situation was unfair.

ErhnamDjinn
05-23-2016, 05:21 PM
there was a big uproar in one of our local schools last year where they put out a memorandum on what where the unacceptable haircuts. Lots of kids complained about there student rights being trampled. I was looking at the situation from both points of view, and maybe when I was a teenager I would have been arguing about this also, but now that I'm older I think its the schools right as long as its part of the student handbook and was a rule established prior to the SY.

gigantes
05-23-2016, 06:03 PM
but why is it in accord with the dress code for the whole school year, then suddenly a violation when it comes to graduation? because... because the eyes of the whole community will be on the students, that day? ...hmm... okay, i guess that's somewhat reasonable.

OTOH, when you have a special meeting and -still- can't work out any kind of compromise with the freaking class valedictorian, you wind up looking pretty oafish.

the kid? he'll move on with his life. the administration and school board? they're the ones who will bear the jokes and scorn for a while.

you reap what you sew in life, gentlemen. :cheers:

iamgine
05-23-2016, 06:18 PM
[I]Kolwe told ABC News that Jones

Goofsta Knicca
05-23-2016, 06:37 PM
He wuz like... "if I shave my face den ma dreadlocks gonna look stupid. Nope... not doin it."

NumberSix
05-23-2016, 06:39 PM
All people involved in this story are idiots.

BigNBAfan
05-23-2016, 06:40 PM
:lol

KNOW1EDGE
05-23-2016, 06:49 PM

I agree.

Let the kid who worked for 4 years and is valedictorian, and had a beard all year, walk with his class. Why are you as a school restricting the freedoms of male students anyways?

What's more important to you son? -having a beard or walking with your class. You made your decision now live with it

97 bulls
05-23-2016, 07:26 PM
My goodness, some of you guys need to actually follow common sense as opposed to just dismissing this as "well, it's the the rules". Or saying, "it's the law".

97 bulls
05-23-2016, 07:28 PM
I agree.

Let the kid who worked for 4 years and is valedictorian, and had a beard all year, walk with his class. Why are you as a school restricting the freedoms of male students anyways?

What's more important to you son? -having a beard or walking with your class. You made your decision now live with it
That's a decision he shouldn't have had to make. Unless it's a private school

ALBballer
05-23-2016, 07:37 PM
I could understand if this was a private or military school but it's a public high school.

This is dumb policy and a power trip by the high school bureaucrats.

UK2K
05-23-2016, 07:42 PM
My goodness, some of you guys need to actually follow common sense as opposed to just dismissing this as "well, it's the the rules". Or saying, "it's the law".
That's not the argument, but it's a valid point.

The issue is he was warned numerous times, and all his classmates did as they were told. He thought he was special.

dude77
05-23-2016, 07:57 PM
just another entitled fggt who thinks he's some special snowflake ..

he's going to have to deal with 'rules' for most of his life anyways .. he was given the dress code like a month in advance I'm reading here .. everyone else complied .. no problem .. but this fggt thinks they need to bow to his special demands .. is he going to walk out of a job because they don't allow beards or certain clothes ? :hammerhead:

and that's not even a beard .. just some pubes on his face that look like shit .. he would've looked much better clean shaven for the big day .. pretty stupid reason to miss graduation

Hawker
05-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Would've been baller if he shaved and then put on a fake beard while giving the speech.

My brother's salutatorian wrote a speech and had to get approval first. It wasn't approved so he wrote another one which they approved.

He simply memorized the original one and gave it at the graduation while flipping a page every now and then. Brilliant.

UK2K
05-23-2016, 08:14 PM
just another entitled fggt who thinks he's some special snowflake ..

he's going to have to deal with 'rules' for most of his life anyways .. he was given the dress code like a month in advance I'm reading here .. everyone else complied .. no problem .. but this fggt thinks they need to bow to his special demands .. is he going to walk out of a job because they don't allow beards or certain clothes ? :hammerhead:

and that's not even a beard .. just some pubes on his face that look like shit .. he would've looked much better clean shaven for the big day .. pretty stupid reason to miss graduation
I keep some facial hair, but on any important day, I always shave.

It looks cleaner.

Big_Dogg
05-23-2016, 08:45 PM
All of that over a beard :biggums:

97 bulls
05-23-2016, 08:50 PM
That's not the argument, but it's a valid point.

The issue is he was warned numerous times, and all his classmates did as they were told. He thought he was special.
These are a couple quotes here including yours

"If you can't follow simple rules, what are you going to do when you get into the job world?"

"long as its part of the student handbook and was a rule established prior to the SY."

So it is an argument. Or at least an attempt.

97 bulls
05-23-2016, 08:53 PM
And what's with these "entitled" comments? As if it's some form of welfare???? It's his beard or facial hair. It's his graduation.

dude77
05-23-2016, 09:23 PM
And what's with these "entitled" comments? As if it's some form of welfare???? It's his beard or facial hair. It's his graduation.

it's their school .. their rules

Jameerthefear
05-23-2016, 09:25 PM
Public school bullshit. Powertripping principal bitch. If a mother****er did that to me...

iamgine
05-23-2016, 09:42 PM
Seeing as this guy is the valedictorian and supposedly smart, he'd already be realizing his mistake and be over it already.

The public however...:lol

NumberSix
05-23-2016, 09:44 PM
it's their school .. their rules
If it's a public school, it's the taxpayers' school. Telling a guy that he can't have a beard is like telling a girl that she can't wear lipstick. It's none of their concern whether he has facial hair or not. It's just dumb.

That being said, I don't think this is the hill to die on. But hey, that's his decision to make.

bdreason
05-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Who cares? I didn't even enjoy the ceremony for my HS or College graduation. Thinking about it now, I should have skipped my College graduation. Shit took FOREVER, I was half hammered / half hung over (didn't sleep the night before), and my family wasn't even there. :oldlol:

iamgine
05-23-2016, 09:57 PM
If it's a public school, it's the taxpayers' school. Telling a guy that he can't have a beard is like telling a girl that she can't wear lipstick. It's none of their concern whether he has facial hair or not. It's just dumb.

That being said, I don't think this is the hill to die on. But hey, that's his decision to make.
Can people just show up with tattoos on their face and hair that's shaped as swastika just because it's a public school?

I always thought regardless of whether it's a public or private school, there are rules and guidelines of student's appearance.

Dictator
05-23-2016, 10:02 PM
This thread reeks of stupidity. I guess public schools should be able to do anything they want...

NumberSix
05-23-2016, 10:28 PM
Keep in mind. Courts have previously ruled that schools can ban shirts that have American flags on them, so there's no end to what stupidity can justified with that precedent being set.

97 bulls
05-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Can people just show up with tattoos on their face and hair that's shaped as swastika just because it's a public school?

I always thought regardless of whether it's a public or private school, there are rules and guidelines of student's appearance.
Lol. Since when has facial hair EVER been tantamount to tattoos and or nazi symbols? Wow

iamgine
05-23-2016, 11:02 PM
Lol. Since when has facial hair EVER been tantamount to tattoos and or nazi symbols? Wow
Never. But the point is the same.

CarlosBoozer
05-24-2016, 01:00 AM
It's a stupid policy/rule but if the school implemented that rule for years and years, then it makes sense why they did not allow him. They clearly don't want to bend the rule for anyone, valedictorian or not.

bluechox2
05-24-2016, 01:58 AM
footballer and valedictorian..something fishy...must have been one dumb class

FreezingTsmoove
05-24-2016, 02:28 AM
I dont see a beard

JEFFERSON MONEY
05-27-2016, 09:32 AM
I could understand if this was a private or military school but it's a public high school.

This is dumb policy and a power trip by the high school bureaucrats.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

UK2K
05-27-2016, 09:42 AM
This is dumb policy
That every single person in his class, except for him, were able to abide by.

and a power trip by the high school bureaucrats.
They asked him numerous times, even spoke to his parents, to abide by the rules. He declined.

He can't even follow grooming standards in high school. Good luck living in the real world.

Like I said, I think it's a stupid rule and would be on his side if they sprung this on him at the last minute, but they gave him plenty of opportunities to correct himself, and he didn't, because he thought he didn't have to. He was wrong.

JEFFERSON MONEY
05-27-2016, 09:50 AM
UK, Do you personally believe that forbidding beards in high schools are morally right? Based on what premise. Because ALBaller and I don't think that forcing clean-shaven faces is ok.
I have my reasons which you know, but you can also add that it is an infringement of freedom of dress (in a way) to the mix.

Historically, Jesus came looking disheveled to a nation of clean-shaven, short-hair cutted uniform Romans looking to change corruption and uphold the Law. Do you prefer whatever arbitrary measures created by the State to Jesus?

And do you think the State and Educational departments are not in need of change?

No doubt you're a ballsy guy and a man of action; but what do you REALLY stand for?

KyrieTheFuture
05-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Public school bullshit. Powertripping principal bitch. If a mother****er did that to me...
You can't even grow a beard

UK2K
05-27-2016, 10:14 AM
UK, Do you personally believe that forbidding beards in high schools are morally right? Based on what premise.
Because ALBaller and I don't think that forcing clean-shaven faces is ok.
I have my reasons which you know, but you can also add that it is an infringement of freedom of dress (in a way) to the mix.
I've already said I think it's a dumb rule. But there are a lot of rules I think are dumb that I still follow, because they are rules.

As I pointed out, EVERY SINGLE PERSON in his class followed the rule but him, so it's not like it was a challenging task or anything.

Historically, Jesus came looking disheveled to a nation of clean-shaven, short-hair cutted uniform Romans looking to change corruption and uphold the Law. Do you prefer whatever arbitrary measures created by the State to Jesus?
I don't know anything about Jesus. I don't really care. I'm not religious.

And do you think the State and Educational departments are not in need of change?

No doubt you're a ballsy guy and a man of action; but what do you REALLY stand for?

I would change a lot of things with our educational system, but requiring a young man to be clean shaven for their graduation is perfectly understandable. Would I create the same rule if I was superintendent? No, but I understand why it was done.

T_L_P
05-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Restricted haircut choices, needing to shave all facial hair for a graduation. WTF?

Dresta
05-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Meh, i've skipped all my "graduations" anyway: waste of time. Don't understand why the don't allow beards. You didn't used to be viewed as a man until you'd grown a beard (the Greeks had three classifications of person: children, beardless youths, and men).

Telling people they can't have beards is lame.

Rake2204
05-27-2016, 12:59 PM
Restricted haircut choices, needing to shave all facial hair for a graduation. WTF?Yeah, I mean, I do understand the desire for standard minimums to be met in terms of decorum and hygiene, but I'm struggling to see how facial hair, particularly if it's cleaned and groomed, could be objectionable by any means.

As far as I can tell from the article, Jones is still receiving his diploma, still moving on to college with a academic and athletic scholarships and aside from not physically walking in his graduation ceremony, nothing's really changed.

The school has a right to make their rules. Students have the right to object to those rules. The school has a right to impose consequences to those who do not follow the rules. Students have a right to express or expose the perceived ridiculous nature of said rules.

Many students are barred from walking for graduation each year. There may be a reason this story, of all of the others, reached the Washington Post. Things aren't always as simple and clear cut as "Kid didn't follow the rules, so... punishment". Sometimes the rules don't make sense, are outdated, unfair, don't have the students' best interest in mind, or have no legitimate reason to exist in the first place.

And sometimes, no matter how frivolous the rule, it takes someone to stand up and object to precipitate change (or at least draw attention to the perceived ridiculous nature of operation).

UK2K
05-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Meh, i've skipped all my "graduations" anyway: waste of time. Don't understand why the don't allow beards. You didn't used to be viewed as a man until you'd grown a beard (the Greeks had three classifications of person: children, beardless youths, and men).

Telling people they can't have beards is lame.

My buddy is in the UAV field. He cannot have a beard at his place of employment. It looks more professional.

In high school it doesn't matter, but to me it's no different than having to show up to class on time. It teaches you proper behaviors for the job world.

I guess its that fine line of 'preparing you for the real world' and 'letting kids be kids'.

Dresta
05-27-2016, 01:56 PM
My buddy is in the UAV field. He cannot have a beard at his place of employment. It looks more professional.

In high school it doesn't matter, but to me it's no different than having to show up to class on time. It teaches you proper behaviors for the job world.

I guess its that fine line of 'preparing you for the real world' and 'letting kids be kids'.
The places i've worked have been fine with actual beards; it's the shabby adolescent looking fluff they don't like their employees having; either clean-shaven or full beard. I personally don't see anything unprofessional about a beard, but it is the company's prerogative to set their own dress/appearance codes, of course.

Growing a beard is part of growing up imo. Having school uniforms is far more valuable than quibbling about beards.

UK2K
05-27-2016, 02:10 PM
The places i've worked have been fine with actual beards; it's the shabby adolescent looking fluff they don't like their employees having; either clean-shaven or full beard. I personally don't see anything unprofessional about a beard, but it is the company's prerogative to set their own dress/appearance codes, of course.

Growing a beard is part of growing up imo. Having school uniforms is far more valuable than quibbling about beards.

More often than not, though, company leadership will not have a beard as opposed to having a beard. At any company. I don't have an issue with a school suggesting their students dress and groom in a professional manner on graduation day. It's a good teaching tool.

I still think it's stupid but.. I get it.

But to your point, the no beard rule is about uniformity, just as uniforms are.